NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Advice on possible Buy-Back of 350h

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-24, 08:36 PM
RX350ok
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Advice on possible Buy-Back of 350h

I've had a vibration issue with my '24 NX 350h at around 43 mph. I've been experiencing this since new and I'm currently at 5k miles.(I have a few other posts describing this issue) Dealership can't seem to replicate and even a traveling technician has driven it and couldn't feel the vibration I'm describing. I'm waiting on a call to take my car back for another traveling technician to drive it. I'm requesting to go with the technician this time. Honestly, I'm not sure if the dealership technicians are claiming they can't "feel" the vibration because they don't know how to fix it or if they're being sincere. They've checked alignment, suspension and tire balance.I have a couple of hypothetical questions, just wondering what people here think: What if the technician feels the vibration but they don't know how to fix it? Should I request a buy-back? What if they determine it might be the E-Cvt or some other difficult to repair or replace component? Should I request a buy back? I dont want the car back after something major has been replaced.
Old 07-05-24, 09:54 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 314 Likes on 246 Posts

I don't think they buy back on vibration but on mechanical issues after so many attempts to fix it. Sadly, test drives during purchase is the time to find out some issues.

Did they try to rotate the tires around or rebalance the tires?

My friend got his GM SUV go thru lemon law and needed a lawyer for transmission issue.

Also, I brought back my vehicle back to dealer for an issue also. The SA requested a shop foreperson to test drive together and the shop foreperson also requested a test drive with lead tech to troubleshoot the issue and found the issue.

The following users liked this post:
RX350ok (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 02:58 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 202 Posts

The technician will rarely have a motive to overlook something like this. They would rather recognize what you are describing so they can solve it, and get onto the next vehicle. As far as “returning it”. The dealership is under no obligation to take the vehicle back. There is a federal law that’s referred to as the “Lemon Law” you’ll find a brochure in your owner’s manual that explains it in detail. Essentially the manufacturer has 3 attempts to repair any problems you have while it’s under warranty. They have 3 attempts or 30 days, I think those are the key numbers to know. I don’t know how it works if they can’t feel the problem. You probably want to try an alternative Lexus dealer if this one still doesn’t recognize the issue. That way, if you have to lemon law it, you can say you have tried everything to get it resolved. Don’t tell the other dealer the whole situation. Just take it there and tell the service writer what you are feeling, and see if they are able to fix it. I am sure that you’ll be able to get this resolved once they understand what is bothering you. A brand new Lexus is rarely ever granted Lemon Law Status. They just don’t have many issues, and they aren’t difficult to correct when there is an issue. So don’t get to stressed just yet
RX350ok (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 08:25 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

Long shot... did you try driving in different modes? Eco / Normal / Sport
RX350ok (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 08:37 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Get wheels balanced at a place that has a Hunter Road Force Wheel Balancer. Tire Rack uses it on all their tire/wheel packages. Won't break the bank, and you may pinpoint the problem.
RX350ok (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 08:44 AM
RX350ok
Driver

Originally Posted by Sounds
Long shot... did you try driving in different modes? Eco / Normal / Sport
This might be the only thing I haven't tried. I usually keep it in Eco. I'll try "Sport" and report back...
Old 07-06-24, 08:49 AM
RX350ok
Driver

Originally Posted by jsmith
Get wheels balanced at a place that has a Hunter Road Force Wheel Balancer. Tire Rack uses it on all their tire/wheel packages. Won't break the bank, and you may pinpoint the problem.
I appreciate the suggestion, but if Lexus can't figure it out with their equipment...that's just unbelievable. I'm not spending any more money on this new Luxury vehicle to figure out what's going on with it.

Last edited by RX350ok; 07-06-24 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-06-24, 12:11 PM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RX350ok
I've had a vibration issue with my '24 NX 350h at around 43 mph. I've been experiencing this since new and I'm currently at 5k miles.(I have a few other posts describing this issue) Dealership can't seem to replicate and even a traveling technician has driven it and couldn't feel the vibration I'm describing. I'm waiting on a call to take my car back for another traveling technician to drive it. I'm requesting to go with the technician this time. Honestly, I'm not sure if the dealership technicians are claiming they can't "feel" the vibration because they don't know how to fix it or if they're being sincere. They've checked alignment, suspension and tire balance.I have a couple of hypothetical questions, just wondering what people here think: What if the technician feels the vibration but they don't know how to fix it? Should I request a buy-back? What if they determine it might be the E-Cvt or some other difficult to repair or replace component? Should I request a buy back? I dont want the car back after something major has been replaced.
Not sure on the NX350H (I have the 450h), but in my Prius, ~43MPH is when the car switches out of EV mode to turn on the gas engine. Are you sure what you're feeling isn't the engine turning on/off around that speed? Again, I'm not sure what speed it kicks on the engine but maybe someone else with a 350H can comment on that. PS. I'm not talking about the speed when you manually force it into EV mode - Lexus/Toyota is conservative on that and it kicks you out even earlier (~20 is my guess).
Old 07-06-24, 12:56 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 541 Likes on 355 Posts
Lightbulb Ideas on how to resolve

Originally Posted by jsmith
This might be the only thing I haven't tried. I usually keep it in Eco. I'll try "Sport" and report back...
Personally, I don't think the buyback will work for you. however, there was on guy on this forum with a 2022 450h+ that successfully got a buyback @Peterun .

I don't think changing driving modes will do any good.

Here is what I would do in your case:

(1) do everything you can to get your tires as good as they can be to perfect
(1a) As @jsmith road get your tires balanced at a specialized tire place. I am not familiar with Hunter Road Force Wheel Balancer., but use it or an equivalent
good one.
(1b) Get a 4 wheel alignment
(1c) make sure your tire pressure is correct ( 1a or 1 b) should do this, But I would get a good tire gauge and check yourself.

(2) If you have another Lexus dealer, go there and tell them you are having problems. I wouldn't lie, but I wouldn't voluntarily tell them another Lexus, See if they can find the problem.

(3) if you have another Lexus dealer , go and test drive the same exact model you have and see if it feels different. Sometimes as others have mentioned there is a transition between EV and ICE that can be felt. In some cars it may possibly be more prominent than others. Also, if you have never extensively driven a hybrid you may not be used to the switching between EV- ICE and both EV/ICE. What you are feeling , could be normal but in your case it doesn't sound normal, SORRY.

The test drive needs to be for a couple of days. If you find the test car does not have the same problem you are experiencing with your car and if you still have problems with you car, I would keep going back to your original Lexus dealer. Remember there are a few other alternatives to get some action DealerRater and BBB are two. Alos, if you can repeat the problem with a Lexus Technician on the drive then it is much more likely to get fixed.

Best of luck on solving your problem.

YMMV,
MidCow3

​​​​​​​
dwoods801 (07-09-24)
Old 07-06-24, 02:25 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 314 Likes on 246 Posts

@RX350ok I had brought my NX with under 4K miles for a misalignment. The steering wheel was pulling to left and had this issue fixed. It was under warranty in my case.

It's all smooth now. Maybe try the alignment if not already. Check all the tires also at the same time for any damage.
RX350ok (07-07-24)
Old 07-06-24, 06:31 PM
bigrin
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had same problem. It was the tires. Re-balance and allignment didn't do anything. Problem was one of the tires (which was new) was a badly manufactured tire. A brand new tire fixed the problem. Good luck.
RX350ok (07-07-24)
Old 07-06-24, 07:23 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb bad tires never right smooth or correct -repeatable problem and can be fixed

Originally Posted by bigrin
Had same problem. It was the tires. Re-balance and allignment didn't do anything. Problem was one of the tires (which was new) was a badly manufactured tire. A brand new tire fixed the problem. Good luck.
If it is a bad tire, then the problem should be repeatable. The OP said the problem is not repeatable, so likely it is not a bad tire.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Jeff718 (07-20-24)
Old 07-06-24, 08:09 PM
bigrin
Rookie

MidCow... The OP did not say it was not repeatable, only that the tech's who looked at it said it was. I assumed the OP believes the vibrations at 43 mph are consistent. I had the same problem only at 57 mph. The final solution was to replace the tires. Problem gone.
RX350ok (07-07-24)
Old 07-06-24, 08:29 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb delear need to be able to repeat a problem to be able to easily fix

Originally Posted by bigrin
MidCow... The OP did not say it was not repeatable, only that the tech's who looked at it said it was. I assumed the OP believes the vibrations at 43 mph are consistent. I had the same problem only at 57 mph. The final solution was to replace the tires. Problem gone.
@bigrin , was you problem repeatable? Were you able to go to your Lexus dealer and demonstrate , i.e. repeat your problem? It seems you bad tire/s problem would be constant and therefore would be repeatable.

OP said dealer could not repeat. see in red above. If OP is still having the problem and IF IT IS REPEATABLE, OP then takes dealer technician with him and drives at 43 mph to repeat the problem. Then it can be fixed. A problem that cannot be repeated is very, very difficult to fix. If OP can not repeat problem at 43 mph then maybe there is not really a problem ... maybe just hybrid EV/ICE working together... don't know . but final muse ,-> problem has to be repeatable to fix easily or in some cases to be ablew to fix at all.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 07-07-24, 07:14 AM
bigrin
Rookie

Originally Posted by midcow3
If it is a bad tire, then the problem should be repeatable. The OP said the problem is not repeatable, so likely it is not a bad tire.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Originally Posted by midcow3
@bigrin , was you problem repeatable? Were you able to go to your Lexus dealer and demonstrate , i.e. repeat your problem? It seems you bad tire/s problem would be constant and therefore would be repeatable.

OP said dealer could not repeat. see in red above. If OP is still having the problem and IF IT IS REPEATABLE, OP then takes dealer technician with him and drives at 43 mph to repeat the problem. Then it can be fixed. A problem that cannot be repeated is very, very difficult to fix. If OP can not repeat problem at 43 mph then maybe there is not really a problem ... maybe just hybrid EV/ICE working together... don't know . but final muse ,-> problem has to be repeatable to fix easily or in some cases to be ablew to fix at all.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Mid... my problem was " repeatable " each time I drove it. 57 mph and vibration. Evidently, the problem for the OP is repeatable for him/her as they are still complaining about it. Just sayin' my problem was corrected with new tires. Dealers/tech's have been known in many cases to not solve problems. OP didn't say that he rode with the tech trying to see the problem. I think I would have done that if it was my problem.

Quick Reply: Advice on possible Buy-Back of 350h