NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

1st-time Lexus buyer: NX vs RX (and maybe GX)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-24, 03:12 PM
Lecycliste
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st-time Lexus buyer: NX vs RX (and maybe GX)

Looking at options for my first Lexus (SUV) replacing a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander which is finally falling apart. We have two humans and two dogs, one a 97 pound Bernese Mountain Dog (he’s a big softie), the other a 25 pound Sheltie (and she’s the boss).

I’m considering an NX 350, RX 350, and (maybe) a GX 350 (though we don’t really need three rows). We like what we’ve heard and read about Toyota / Lexus reliability and they’re somewhat reasonably priced, so I’m not considering any other manufacturers. Sometimes I transport photo lighting and camera gear, and the occasional 5-octave synthesizer, so cargo space is also important. With the two dogs and cargo needs, I’m thinking an NX 350, and NuLuxe as the best upholstery option. Any opinions?

I like cars that handle, and I’ve not really had one the last 17 years. Any experience with the F Sport vs regular AWD models?

Also, how reliable has the 2.4L 4 cyl turbo been? Anything fail, wear out or blow up?
I’m too old for stoplight drag races, but how does the 2.4L 4 cyl turbo acceleration feel in traffic?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-24, 04:36 PM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

Hi fellow dog owner! We bring along our 75 pound Sheep-a-doodle with us most times for errands. We have a '22 NX350h which is the mild hybrid that you don't have to plug in. The RX lineup offers a similar model that uses the same engine, which is good for 240 HP in NX and 246 HP in RX. We find it's a good trade off in that your gas mileage is great and yet we don't wish we had more get up and go. The NX gets about 39 mpg while the RX gets 36 mpg. I would definitely check both out for size, the RX is a little bigger and drives a little more smoother down the road. We came from a 2009 Nissan Murano and found it a little snugger in our NX but have gotten use to it. With your Prince and Princess in tow a little extra room will definitely be appreciated if you're willing to pay a premium for the RX. All the engines used in the NX and RX lineup have been around for a few years now, with the same combustion engine design in Toyotas going back to 2018 in Rav 4 and Camry. The hybrid batteries are a little bigger in Lexus to give more ultimate power, plus turbo charging is added to same base gas engine too for HP gains.

I would say 2024 model year onward would be relatively worry free. Most other concerns can be found in a few recalls for earlier model years. I'm happy with the way Lexus takes care of their customers overall and glad I own one.

As a dog owner I will let you know that I found out you can't keep your car 'on' with the air conditioning working to keep the interior cool, step out of the car and lock the doors so your pets remain cool and safe. You can drop a window down shut off and lock the car but that's it. You can turn off the car, step out, lock it, then initiate a remote start which will keep your car running for 10 minutes I believe but then it shuts off again. I also believe your alarm remains active when you are using remote start and your dogs could set off the alarm if they're inside the car and 'jostle' it around a bit. I've left mine in the car locked in cold weather while I picked up some take out and he set it off when barking at a fellow dog parked next to us. Just something I noticed - I guess possibly all cars are like this nowadays to prevent theft.

Last edited by TheCDN; 07-25-24 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-25-24, 04:45 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 419 Posts

Well, I think when it comes to big or multiple dogs the bigger vehicle the better, so the GX550 is a good choice. It will have the most cargo capacity (with the 3 row seats folded) then the RX in the middle, and the NX having the smallest cargo space of the three behind the 2nd row seats. The NX cargo space is ok, but on the modest size. The GX does use the V35A-FTS engine, which is currently the subject of a big potential engine fail recall in the Tundra and the LX, however so far it hasn't hit the GX or other models that use this engine. Not sure why, I know there are variants of this engine used in many models with different power outputs / different tuning / different turbos so its still a bit of a mystery why some of these engines are being recalled, but others not. If I was looking for something with a bit more off road and stuff mover capability, I think the GX would be my first looksee.

I have heard of exactly zero systemic issues with the 2.4L turbo (T24A-FTS) engines in the NX so far, although they've only been out for about 3 yrs so far. This engine is used in a lot of mid sized vehicles, like the RX, Highlander, and Crown as its a replacement for the old 2GR 3.5L V6 that was a Toyota/Lexus standard engine across many vehicles. Other models that use this engine have had some minor software updates done on the engine control software, that's pretty much it as far as issues. Similar can be said for the engines (A25A-FXS and A25A-FKS) in the hybrid NX/RX and the NX250 (it had a couple minor things when it was first introduced in the NX's cousin RAV4 in 2019 well before the NX got that powertrain).

As for handling and AWD, the GX is going to be the most capable off road with its full time 4WD system, the NX and RX offers a full time (but FWD biased) AWD system mainly for street driving (NX250 is a part time mechanical AWD system), and the hybrid variants offer a part time AWD system (heavily FWD biased with a small electric pusher motor at the rear). The NX being lighter/smaller and IMO a bit firmer in ride is going to be a tad sportier ride than the RX, the RX is probably going to be a tad more comfortable on the bumps, haven't driving the GX to comment on that. The F sport NX version offers an adaptive suspension but its just a minor tweak so its not going to make a huge difference unless you like to play with the settings and enjoy exploring many handling scenarios, but the average driver probably won't notice much difference. The styling and sportier seats are probably the more noticeable differences with the F.

As for acceleration in traffic, the T24 turbo engine does reasonably well, the 8spd transmission is a smooth and responsive shifter although it does aggressively downshift when coasting or coming to a stop (some people don't like the rpm bumps as the vehicle slows). At dead slow and stomping on the gas there is a bit of a delay but IMO this is the engine control software, not the transmission, creating a bit of a safety pause. It does this at 1-2 mph, but from stop it goes right away. No real lag that I've noticed myself and the boost comes on quickly at low RPMs, decent low end torque. Its not going to win many qtr mile runs though but can easily pass or add 20mph very quickly to sneak over into the next lane. The hybrid version also does pretty good, but its going to drone out a bit more due to the eCVT transmission (which is also excellent for reliability) and also makes it a smoother ride in general with no shifting to deal with. I think the T24 engine sounds nicer than the A25A engine variants, but they are probably both a bit noisier that the Toyota Lexus engines of past due to the D4S injection system.

Good luck with your search...
The following users liked this post:
TheCDN (07-25-24)
Old 07-26-24, 07:20 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

In terms of Cargo space the GX has most of the 3, then RX. NX cargo is a bit less.
In terms of drive the RX is really smooth and quiet. NX not bad, but a bit more road and engine noise.
In terms of handling the NX will handle the best of the 3, then RX then GX
In terms of Fuel economy: NX in Naturally aspirated Hybrid (350h) the best of 3, then RX 350h with same engine with slightly less MPG then GX is more. Also, GX and the 2.4L Turbo (Gas or 500h) need Premium Gas vs regular is OK for naturally aspirated.
In terms of expected reliability: The naturally aspirated 350h engine/hybrid setup has been around since 2018 in mass numbers and no major issues that are publicized. The 2.4 Turbo has been around since 2022, so not as long. The Gas version as well as 500h use the turbo engine. Historically, Toyotas naturally aspirated Hybrids have been known for reliability. GX has a yet newer engine which so far has not been stellar.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-26-24, 07:45 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Welcome aboard... Tell your sales agent you want 2 key fobs at time of purchase. In writing.
Old 07-26-24, 08:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Turbo cars should have their oil changed every 5k miles, if not more. At around 80k, it's not uncommon to have carbon buildup.

On this Turbo NX, this poster paid $33k in repairs: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...l#post11587935

If you don't change your oil often on a turbo car, things can happen. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...placement.html

So i am not saying youll have problems, but just because you hear "oh lexus reliable" doesn't mean you can lack on maintenance. oil changes on a turbo car every 3k is ideal. also that reputation is from decades past ES300 with simple 4 speed transmisisons. lexus relatively recently started down the path of new turbo powertrains so the jury is still out until long term data can come in.
Old 07-26-24, 11:10 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by E46CT
Turbo cars should have their oil changed every 5k miles, if not more. At around 80k, it's not uncommon to have carbon buildup.

On this Turbo NX, this poster paid $33k in repairs: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...l#post11587935

If you don't change your oil often on a turbo car, things can happen. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...placement.html

So i am not saying youll have problems, but just because you hear "oh lexus reliable" doesn't mean you can lack on maintenance. oil changes on a turbo car every 3k is ideal. also that reputation is from decades past ES300 with simple 4 speed transmisisons. lexus relatively recently started down the path of new turbo powertrains so the jury is still out until long term data can come in.
Agree on the maintenance, its very important, although the reference here is an older generation of NX with a different engine that was originally designed 15+ yrs ago and was modified to accept a turbo, the T24 engine is purpose built to be turbocharged. We'll see if Toyota got it right...
Old 07-26-24, 11:27 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
The naturally aspirated 350h engine/hybrid setup has been around since 2018 in mass numbers and no major issues that are publicized.
Toyotaman, could you clarify why you say "been around since 2018" ?

I hoped that my 2015 NX300h could also be included unless they did something more significant during the 2018 refresh to the NXh. i know the MPG didn't change so I naturally assumed the refresh was mostly cosmetic improvements and not to the Hybrid system, I do recall some interior changes to the HVAC buttons and a larger center stack screen and other changes hardly worth mentioning.?.?
Old 07-26-24, 02:03 PM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by gamma742
Toyotaman, could you clarify why you say "been around since 2018" ?

I hoped that my 2015 NX300h could also be included unless they did something more significant during the 2018 refresh to the NXh. i know the MPG didn't change so I naturally assumed the refresh was mostly cosmetic improvements and not to the Hybrid system, I do recall some interior changes to the HVAC buttons and a larger center stack screen and other changes hardly worth mentioning.?.?
He's referring to the A25A engine which was first released in 2018 in other Toyota models, but didn't hit the NX until 2nd gen (22MY). The 1st gen NX used the AR series engines which originally goes back to 2008 thru various iterations, but are now phased out.
gamma742 (07-26-24)
Old 07-26-24, 05:34 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
He's referring to the A25A engine which was first released in 2018 in other Toyota models, but didn't hit the NX until 2nd gen (22MY). The 1st gen NX used the AR series engines which originally goes back to 2008 thru various iterations, but are now phased out.
Oh I see.. like the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid.. that makes sense. My 2015 NXh was trouble-free just didn't get the MPG of the next Gen A25A.
Old 07-27-24, 07:23 AM
gallico916
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

NX305h here with two 70Lb dogs in the back, and it's more than enough.
Here's a thought. The new NX is almost as spacious as the old GX, so you're not missing out on any room.
As cars become more spacious, I've discovered that the current NX is more than adequate for my wife, two dogs, and our cargo.

I highly recommend a hybrid for gas saving and car insurance.
The following 2 users liked this post by gallico916:
Dkaplan (07-28-24), Sounds (07-27-24)
Old 08-05-24, 03:52 PM
rch
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
Welcome aboard... Tell your sales agent you want 2 key fobs at time of purchase. In writing.
I didn't asked for 2 fobs and they just gave me 3 last week . 2 classic fobs and one flat thick card without buttons.
Maybe that chip & fob shortage is over for good.
Old 08-05-24, 05:43 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by rch
one flat thick card without buttons.
How were you able to get this one ? Did you ask for it, or pay for it ? There are members in this forum reported paying up to a grand or so, to buy aftermarket ones, and then paying aftermarket specialized locksmiths to program it.

Please share how you were able to get it, and in case it has a Lexus part number that others' can order from Lexus ?

Old 08-05-24, 06:19 PM
rch
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just walked into dealership and got it with the new car, no asking, I didn't even know such exist.
It isn't listed on the window sticker but I suspect it's part of the "Digital key...375.00" option. Which is typically added to all Premium NX hybrids I have seen in the US recently.
I can see it in the owner's manual page 52.
I don't know the part number but you can easily look for it online, Denso Model: 14CBP. I can see them for 50 bucks on ebay but obviously without programming and mechanical key matching.
wrinkle (08-08-24)
Old 08-05-24, 06:32 PM
Lecycliste
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Ended up buying a 2024 RX 350 AWD Premium Plus with the 2.4L I4 Turbo in matador red mica. As a former IC design engineer and manager, I prize relative simplicity, and two power systems isn’t it. (I also wonder about CVT reliability.) Simplicity usually leads to higher reliability, as the team leader reminded me when we were designing the first 100BASE-TX Ethernet transceiver chip everyone ended up using.

Yes, I can hear all the hybrid owners yelling at me. Sorry.

I got a pretty good end of month price. I’ll take delivery after we come back from an RV vacation August 19.

Last edited by Lecycliste; 08-05-24 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st-time Lexus buyer: NX vs RX (and maybe GX)