NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Lexus NX 2024 after collision door cannot open

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-24, 06:00 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCDN
I'll agree with you 100%! I recall a young actor, I believe in a Star Wars cast or something similar, jumped out of his new car and failed to put it into park properly, went to open his driveway gate and the car crept up to him and crushed him. The authorities blamed one of the those stupid new shift mechanisms that now so many cars have gone to, as the cause in error on his part. Another fine example of redesigning something that has literally become second nature to all who have driven for years and instinctively can shift a console shifter from park to drive with their eyes closed no problem! Fine you want to make it electronic in design go ahead but the 'movement' of the shifter works like muscle memory for so many drivers, it's a dangerous thing to allow dealerships to hand over a 2 ton piece of metal and not show the new owner how to operate the new design functionalities of the car.

I'm one of those such people that have been driving for over 40 years and I can tell you that I imposed on myself a good 6 months of 'training' for me to become innately familiar with all the (not buttons) menus and various screens in order to know instinctively where to go to activate something.
Anton Yelchin, Checkov from the Star Trek "Kelvin" films If I recall, outside his gate his driveway rises slightly, put his Jeep in park and went to close the gate and it popped into reverse and pinned him to the gate. Unfortunately, even non-fancy shifters can occasionally pop out. My (at the time, now my son's) Civic was crushed in the front after an older Ford Ranger rolled back out of its parking space. It was kind of funny talking with the insurance company. Who was driving your car? No one, it was parked. Who was driving the other car? No one, it rolled across the parking lot without a driver.
LOL. Sounds like another Elon promise gone awry

In any case, I'm sure bicyclists that have been doored would strongly disagree the new latch design is a solution looking for a problem. Certainly the new handles are not that intuitive and therefore not the friend of drivers that have never cracked their owner's manual, especially for emergency operation. Lexus should take a cue from the major software developers, when they have features that aren't necessarily easy to be aware of, they frequently use pop up reminders, tool tips, even how-to videos. I think Lexus could make a lot of use from the front screen, occasionally at start up or shut down, pop up a "Did you know" tip from the owner's manual topic as a reminder how things work. All the key points should be optionally viewable, if not the entire manual, little videos would be really helpful for those with the manual still sealed in plastic. "Hey Lexus, show me how to adjust the opening height of my hatch"

The following users liked this post:
SenorValas (08-05-24)