NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Parking brake not released automatically

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-24 | 06:14 AM
FWCA
Pit Crew

Default Parking brake not released automatically

I encountered a few times that after shifting to P for a little while. The parking brake will engage automatically. When shifting to D, the parking brake usually will release automatically. I have encountered a few times that the parking brake did not release automatically when shifting to D. Does anyone know why?
Old 08-01-24 | 06:48 AM
Droid13
Racer

Over the course of 16 months of ownership, I have seen this happen perhaps 3 times. Not enough to see a definite pattern, but I do have an idea. I think, possibly, maybe, potentially (and any other disclaimer type words I haven't thought of yet) it could happen if the car is put into drive before the dash display finishes booting up. I've noticed a similar issue with my Auto Start Stop deactivation device not turning off the system if I do the same. On the gasser, the *** button and parking brake control button are on the same wiring harness and perhaps both are subject to similar conditions. Interestingly enough, when I installed the *** deactivator it put my parking brake into manual mode, I had to reset the system back to automatic. And note, I have seen the parking brake issue at least once before I installed the *** deactivator so I don't blame one on the other, merely that both happen to be on the same wire harness and could possibly be subject to same weirdness during the first seconds of system start. More recently, after starting the car I now wait for both the dash and infotainment system displays to finish their boot up, its usually pretty quick, ~3 seconds... So when doing this, zero issues with either system.

That's my theory anyway, on incomplete evidence so far.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (08-01-24)
Old 08-01-24 | 09:48 AM
Malky
Driver

I have an NX350H. I haven't seen this issue in the year I've owned the vehicle. I've shifted into drive soon as I hit the start button. I have also waited a few seconds. Either way always disengages the parking brake.

I would definitely bring this issue up with your dealer.
Old 08-01-24 | 10:15 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

I find if Im rushing away quickly, I'll look for the green coloured READY to display on the dash, and that appears before the startup 'opening credits' as I like to call them, finishes on the both screens. I put it into drive when ready is displayed and I'll feel that little tug from the rear parking brake releasing as I'm on the gas before it's completed it's release function. Which I don't feel is unwarranted since I am 'rushing' things. Keep in mind the parking brake is 'actuated' as it's basically switching an electric plunger either on or off, it's not like a good ol fashioned cable parking brake, you release and it's released immediately there's no 'communication' delay.

But as for sticking, like you step on the gas and it's holding you back, no never happened in the almost 2 years of ownership.
Old 08-04-24 | 05:04 AM
lsft
Racer

Never seen this with my 2.5 years of ownership. But I never rush in shifting out.
The following users liked this post:
corinvest (08-04-24)