NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

How many of you have had flats not able to be sealed w Emergency tire sealant ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-24 | 09:09 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default How many of you have had flats not able to be sealed w Emergency tire sealant ?

I just ordered two of these "emergency tire sealant" products that you would use if you cant easily get to a tire repair shop ?
"AIRMAN Tire Repair sealant" , (Amazon) suggested in a separate thread recently. (thanks CDN).
I have a 12V compressor always kept in the car.
I am considering not bothering w a spare tire in our small NX350 vehicles...(havent ordered one "yet" )
Have any of you ever had a flat on the road where you used a sealant that didnt work or the hole (on a good tire) was too large to be temporarily sealed.
So, do you feel comfortable not traveling w a spare tire if you had the sealant below ?
(Note: only non-bovine responders need respond--inside humor there)

[size=13px]https://www.amazon.com/AIRMAN-Repair-Sealant-450ml-UNIBOTTLE/dp/B0857JDR92/ref=pd_bxgy_d_sccl_1/140-4798502-7148025?pd_rd_w=1Owbf&content-id=amzn1.sym.c51e3ad7-b551-4b1a-b43c-3cf69addb649&pf_rd_p=c51e3ad7-b551-4b1a-b43c-3cf69addb649&pf_rd_r=REYNFZYAHDY179DCAHGF&pd_rd_wg=a295i&pd_rd_r=7c0fec4e-ed16-4c61-8ed7-218ed13600d4&pd_rd_i=B0857JDR92&psc=1[/size]

Old 08-05-24 | 08:45 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

I haven't used any sealants but I have had flat tires in the past and only once I wasn't able to remove the nail, screw or whatever and plug the tire with a cheap Walmart tire plug kit. TPMS alerted me that I was losing air and upon inspection I was able to find the problem before it became a serious problem.

I think there could be an extra charge from the repair shop when these sealants make a mess in their shop. I have been asked if any tires have sealant in them when replacing tires.

If I plug a tire and it holds, I'm done with that tire until it wears out. Once one is repaired and it takes, I have never had the plug fail later during the remaining life of the tire.
Old 08-06-24 | 08:31 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Originally Posted by gamma742
I haven't used any sealants but I have had flat tires in the past and only once I wasn't able to remove the nail, screw or whatever and plug the tire with a cheap Walmart tire plug kit. TPMS alerted me that I was losing air and upon inspection I was able to find the problem before it became a serious problem.

I think there could be an extra charge from the repair shop when these sealants make a mess in their shop. I have been asked if any tires have sealant in them when replacing tire
If I plug a tire and it holds, I'm done with that tire until it wears out. Once one is repaired and it takes, I have never had the plug fail later during the remaining life of the tire.
Hi Gamma
Looks like no one has specifically used the sealant I am referring to in the original post but it appears to be the same material used by Continental for OEM kits provided in several vehicles. This sealant was also a favorite in a Consumer report evaluation (for whatever thats worth)
Here is an older thread on the topic of run flat tires which most of us have. The topic has been beat to death and doesnt need to be revived . A search of older quality threads will provide good info on the topic.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...lat-tires.html

As a side note, I have a daily driver that now has 260k plus miles on it and while driving an often traveled road to work I heard a "thump , thump" noise on newly installed Bridgestone tires from Costco. I pulled over, checked each tire and they seemed to be properly inflated. I drove off again and again heard the "thump , thump" , I pulled over again and made a better look at each tire only to find what appeared to be the head of a bolt. The bolt head was approx 3/4 inch in diameter sitting in the middle of the tire..... Instead of going to work on time I drove 8 miles to Costco and they replaced the tire.....the actual bolt diameter and hole was 1/2 inch and the bolt was 4 inches long....the non-run flat tire was replaced and I kept the bolt ..... Amazing that the tire still held pressure on its trip to getting replaced.....

Last edited by Lexicon1; 08-10-24 at 07:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexicon1:
Billst (08-10-24), gamma742 (08-06-24)
Old 08-08-24 | 06:22 PM
TheCDN
Intermediate

I just asked same sort of question in this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...anagement.html

I'm comfortable with just keeping a tire sealant kit and compressor in my car. Blowouts from sidewall damage seem like a rarity these days. Yes if you really hit something like a big piece of metal debris you're doomed. But with TPMS to begin with catching a slow leak early. Using a portable compressor to keep you going until you get to a tire centre. And if it's loosing air badly switch to plan B and insert sealant. I'm pretty confident I'll be ok most times.

As I mentioned in the other thread, there's gotta be millions of cars now on the road with just tire sealant kits and the sky isn't falling.
The following users liked this post:
jbrnigan (08-08-24)
Old 08-10-24 | 04:45 AM
Tinkertech
Driver

All of my tires due to the fact that I would never put that goo inside of my tire.

I always carry a small air pump, just keep filling up the tire until I can arrive at a tire shop for a proper repair.

That stuff is the Devil, just trying to remove it after the repair take an act of God.
midcow3 (08-10-24)
Old 08-10-24 | 05:15 AM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tinkertech
All of my tires due to the fact that I would never put that goo inside of my tire.

I always carry a small air pump, just keep filling up the tire until I can arrive at a tire shop for a proper repair.

That stuff is the Devil, just trying to remove it after the repair take an act of God.
Since a a slow leak and puncture are the most common tire issues in 99% of the cases, this is by far the best solution.

For awhile in my long distance bicycle riding days, goo filled tire repair (sealant) came into vogue. It was always a mess, never really worked and you ended up replacing the tube and tire before the next long ride. Sealant just doesn't work.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-10-24 | 07:38 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheCDN
I just asked same sort of question in this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...anagement.html

I'm comfortable with just keeping a tire sealant kit and compressor in my car. Blowouts from sidewall damage seem like a rarity these days. Yes if you really hit something like a big piece of metal debris you're doomed. But with TPMS to begin with catching a slow leak early. Using a portable compressor to keep you going until you get to a tire centre. And if it's loosing air badly switch to plan B and insert sealant. I'm pretty confident I'll be ok most times.

As I mentioned in the other thread, there's gotta be millions of cars now on the road with just tire sealant kits and the sky isn't falling.
Sage perspective , I like your plan A and then to Plan B if the leak needs sealant to get you to where you need to go to address the flat tire. Sealant DOES work on smaller tire intrusions, it just is not the first line of defense.
Another note: from my readings on the topic , I think some folks (where the sealant doesnt work) dont draw out enough air in the tire to get a full dose of the contents of sealant into the tire. Some folks using the product dont use the full can.
Just my opinon.
romer (08-10-24)