NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Michelin CrossClimate2

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-24, 07:27 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Michelin CrossClimate2

We replaced the OEM run flats yesterday on our '22 NX350H with CrossClimate2's from Michelin. Immediately noticed was how much quieter and smoother the ride has become. In my wife's words, "We now have a Lexus". The difference is pretty dramatic and look forward to seeing if they live up to their reputation in the snow.
The following users liked this post:
Billst (Yesterday)
Old 09-28-24, 08:06 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 247 Likes on 171 Posts

As an extra bonus, at least up here, insurance companies recognize these as 4 season tires, meaning a discount of 5% on coverage, the same discount as winter tires. Am seriously considering doing the swap. I have winter tires on rims and my Wife bugs me each season when I get up and down on a step ladder to pull the ~65 pounds each tires + wheels down then up on the rack mounted high on the wall in my garage. These tires would solve that problem. Also need to decide if I want to keep the factory wheels or use the second set of Lexus wheels purchased for the winters. They are shown in the profile pic.1st world problems
Doug007 (09-29-24)
Old 09-28-24, 08:18 AM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug007
We replaced the OEM run flats yesterday on our '22 NX350H with CrossClimate2's from Michelin. Immediately noticed was how much quieter and smoother the ride has become. In my wife's words, "We now have a Lexus". The difference is pretty dramatic and look forward to seeing if they live up to their reputation in the snow.
@Doug007 how many miles had you covered on the Bridgestone RFT’s?

I only ask because I have just replaced the original Bridgestone RFT’s on my 2022 NX 350h with the exact same tyres after 30k miles. I had the same ‘wow effect’ reduction in noise simply because 8mm tread gives a lot smoother and quieter ride than the 3-4mm that was left on the old ones. My wife is happier too. 😬

I am not saying that the CC2’s are not quieter than the Bridgestones, just that the difference may be smaller than people might expect.
Old 09-28-24, 06:14 PM
jatwell
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

@hintonwood

How in the world did you get 30k out of the originals? Maybe they are different on the hybrid, but I only got around 20k on mine, so congratulations! I replaced with the CC’s as well and the OP’s wife said it well… I now have a Lexus.
Old 09-28-24, 08:23 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by hintonwood

I only ask because I have just replaced the original Bridgestone RFT’s on my 2022 NX 350h with the exact same tyres after 30k miles. I had the same ‘wow effect’ reduction in noise simply because 8mm tread gives a lot smoother and quieter ride than the 3-4mm that was left on the old ones. My wife is happier too. 😬

I am not saying that the CC2’s are not quieter than the Bridgestones, just that the difference may be smaller than people might expect.
Wow, 30K on the RFTs are amazing. I assume you did rotations every 5K miles?

we are planning to go for CC2 after the originals RFTs wear down more behaviors badly in rain.
Old 09-28-24, 11:37 PM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jatwell
@hintonwood

How in the world did you get 30k out of the originals? Maybe they are different on the hybrid, but I only got around 20k on mine, so congratulations! I replaced with the CC’s as well and the OP’s wife said it well… I now have a Lexus.
Most of that 30k miles was on Motorway and Dual Carriageway. I would not expect the same wear if I used mainly country roads and roundabouts.
Old 09-28-24, 11:41 PM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by websurfer
Wow, 30K on the RFTs are amazing. I assume you did rotations every 5K miles?

In 46 years of driving I have never knowingly rotated a tyre on the car…. Maybe the dealership have during the service, but I doubt they would do it without asking - and they have never asked.
Old 09-29-24, 06:39 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 247 Likes on 171 Posts

In 46 years of driving I have never knowingly rotated a tyre on the car…. Maybe the dealership have during the service, but I doubt they would do it without asking - and they have never asked.
I find that odd. When reviewing the standard service offerings from any dealership I've been to in my 42 years of driving, rotations are part of the package. It's published there. For me, I usually have 2 sets of tires, the second is winter specific. So the dealerships flip those on for me in the fall and the others back on in the spring, usually no charge as removal of the wheels is needed for the brake inspections done.

This is on the Lexus Canada web site. I've bolded that specific line. Now, if you don't take your car to a dealership, that may make a difference.

Service #1

• Check installation of driver's floor mat.
  • Inspect all lights and horn for proper operation.
  • Inspect wiper blades, linkage and washers for proper operation. 1
  • Check and record tire tread depth. Examine tires for damage and uneven wear.
  • Remove wheels & visually inspect brake pads, calipers, rotors, brake lines and hoses.
  • Rotate tires (applicable to same size wheels, front & rear).
  • Remove & inspect cabin air filter. 2
  • Remove & inspect engine air filter. 3
  • Inspect for leaks where applicable - engine oil, brake fluid, engine coolant, intercooler coolant, inverter coolant, power steering fluid, transmission/transaxle fluid, differential fluid, transfer case fluid, and top up windshield washer fluid.
  • Visually inspect the Hybrid Battery Cooling Intake Filter (if equipped) & clean if required. 4
  • Record inspection results, measurements and component condition on inspection form and/or repair order.
  • Reset Maintenance Reminder Light or system.

Service #2

• Replace engine oil & filter.
  • Remove wheels & visually inspect brake pads, calipers, rotors, brake lines and hoses.
  • Inspect exhaust system for leaks, damage or broken hangers.
  • Check steering gear, linkage and shock absorbers for looseness, damage or leakage.
  • Inspect ball joints and dust covers, driveshafts, chassis nuts & bolts for looseness or damage.
  • Inspect for leaks where applicable - engine oil, brake fluid, engine coolant, intercooler coolant, inverter coolant, power steering fluid, transmission/transaxle fluid, differential fluid, transfer case fluid, and top up windshield washer fluid.
  • Inspect differential and transfer case vents for obstruction.

Service #3

• Replace engine oil & filter.
  • Inspect brake lines and hoses. Remove brake calipers and/or brake drums. Inspect and measure brake rotors, drums, pads and shoes.
  • Inspect exhaust system for leaks, damage or broken hangers.
  • Inspect engine oil cooler lines and automatic transmission cooler lines if equipped for leakage, looseness or damage.
  • Check steering gear, linkage and shock absorbers for looseness, damage or leakage.
  • Inspect ball joints and dust covers, driveshafts, chassis nuts & bolts for looseness or damage.
  • Inspect fuel system for leaks or damage, inspect condition of fuel tank band, fuel tank cap gasket, fuel tank vapour vent system hoses, fuel lines and connections.

Old 09-29-24, 09:34 AM
AM123
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Now that it's clear that 9 out of 10 NX owners are swapping their run-flats for traditional tires when it's time to replace them, how are you all dealing with the spare tire situation? Is relying on roadside assistance a practical solution in these cases? How risky is it to travel without a spare tire? Does having just an emergency kit offer enough peace of mind, or should we be thinking beyond that?
Old 09-29-24, 09:48 AM
jvillier
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have them on my 2017 RX and had them on my 2012 ES. Handles very well in on wet roads and in hard rain.
Doug007 (09-29-24)
Old 09-29-24, 09:56 AM
jvillier
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have them on my 2017 RX and had them on my 2012 ES. Handles very well in on wet roads and in hard rain
Old 09-29-24, 10:43 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by AM123
Now that it's clear that 9 out of 10 NX owners are swapping their run-flats for traditional tires when it's time to replace them, how are you all dealing with the spare tire situation? Is relying on roadside assistance a practical solution in these cases? How risky is it to travel without a spare tire? Does having just an emergency kit offer enough peace of mind, or should we be thinking beyond that?
Definately carry an portable air compressor in the vehicle. Acura had non-run flat with air compressor I believe.
Old 09-29-24, 03:34 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by websurfer
Definately carry an portable air compressor in the vehicle. Acura had non-run flat with air compressor I believe.
I have a small compressor and carry a Modern Spare, commando style in the back. I found the carrying case too big and can wedge items around the spare as needed for transport. To answer hintonwood, I was down to 4/32 and 5/32 at around 20,000 miles and could have probably gone a few more months, however, the last time I held on before replacing tires I had a flat in a very inconvenient place. With winter around the corner I pulled the pin on the Crossclimates and got a good deal from Americas Tire.

Last edited by Doug007; 09-29-24 at 03:39 PM.
hintonwood (09-30-24)
Old 09-29-24, 03:35 PM
Rathmullan
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug007
Thanks for the observation. Do you have 18" or 20" rims? I ask becasue I'm considering replacing my Bridgestone Alenza run flats with non-runflat A/S and the only real contenders are Michelin CC2 and The Yokohama Geolander X-CV. Worry that the CC2s could be a little "harsh" in a 50 series profile.
Old 09-29-24, 04:19 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rathmullan
Thanks for the observation. Do you have 18" or 20" rims? I ask becasue I'm considering replacing my Bridgestone Alenza run flats with non-runflat A/S and the only real contenders are Michelin CC2 and The Yokohama Geolander X-CV. Worry that the CC2s could be a little "harsh" in a 50 series profile.
I have the 18” rims.

Quick Reply: Michelin CrossClimate2