NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

2022 Lexus NX Spied (post #67 with new image)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 08:43 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
Yea... Lots of pictures! 2022 NX does not look too bad. But I need to confirm the engine choices before trading in my 2015 NX for a 2022. If they don't increase the horses, I may have to go buy me a Porsche SUV, so can't wait to see confirmation on 2022 engine choices!
Just buy you the Porsche....even if the Lexus gets an engine upgrade, it still handles pretty bad.

I own both an NX200t F-Sport Series 3 (so it has AVS) and a Macan GTS (so Air Suspension, PASM, and I have PTV+) and there's no competition....on ramps the Lexus just starts understeering and torturing its tires, the Macan grips for days and you can keep pushing harder and harder.
Old 02-27-21, 08:58 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Just buy you the Porsche....even if the Lexus gets an engine upgrade, it still handles pretty bad.

I own both an NX200t F-Sport Series 3 (so it has AVS) and a Macan GTS (so Air Suspension, PASM, and I have PTV+) and there's no competition....on ramps the Lexus just starts understeering and torturing its tires, the Macan grips for days and you can keep pushing harder and harder.
Yea, a Macan keeps looking better for me over my current NX F-Sport. Worse, a Porsche dealership is right next to my Lexus dealership. Looks like when the 2022 NX comes out, it's might be a quick comparison between the two. In fact I'm really trying to wait for the '22 NX to comes out before I go visit the Porsche dealership, because I'm starting to feel a Macon would look better in my garage next to my RCF. Have been through 4 Lexus SUV's without any problems, so that's what's been keeping them in my stable.
Old 02-27-21, 11:22 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
Yea, a Macan keeps looking better for me over my current NX F-Sport. Looks like when the 2022 NX comes out, it's might be a quick comparison between the two.
Are these really valid to compare? Seems like these are in a different league and likely marketed to a different target audience. I haven’t looked at the Macan so this notion is based purely on my limited understanding of that vehicle. I just wouldn’t cross-shop those. I would be shopping against the Acura RDX or Lincoln Corsair...
Old 02-27-21, 12:39 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
Are these really valid to compare? Seems like these are in a different league and likely marketed to a different target audience. I haven’t looked at the Macan so this notion is based purely on my limited understanding of that vehicle. I just wouldn’t cross-shop those. I would be shopping against the Acura RDX or Lincoln Corsair...
You could reasonably cross shop a base model Macan against the NX given the small 4 cylinder turbo engines in both...but beyond that, the S, GTS, and Turbo are in a different league yes. There are some things I like about my NX better than my Macan, but dynamically the Macan is just so impressive.

There is an electric Macan for the next generation and rumours the 22 Macan will get a second facelift to tide it over a bit longer. The facelift is rumoured to have the touch button center console and get rid of the physical buttons, so 21 might be the last year for the good Macan.
Old 02-27-21, 02:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821

I really like the large screen. That's a nice bit. Not sure if I like how it's angled though because it leaves the passenger side very unfinished to me.

-Nigel
Don't be surprised if that large screen ends up being an expensive extra-cost option and/or that it is only available either with the Luxury package (or whatever Lexus will be calling the high end trim package) or as a part of some extra cost tech package.
Old 02-27-21, 04:10 PM
azn406
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Don't be surprised if that large screen ends up being an expensive extra-cost option and/or that it is only available either with the Luxury package (or whatever Lexus will be calling the high end trim package) or as a part of some extra cost tech package.
Agreed, sadly. Lexus has been doing this for years in the U.S. (West Coast at least) with the Mark Levinson Package. It's virtually unfound on ANY dealer lot and you have to "special order" to have it. Same with the Panoramic View Package (whatever it was called). You'll be lucky if you find a make with it at a dealership.
Old 02-28-21, 10:51 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by azn406
Agreed, sadly. Lexus has been doing this for years in the U.S. (West Coast at least) with the Mark Levinson Package. It's virtually unfound on ANY dealer lot and you have to "special order" to have it. Same with the Panoramic View Package (whatever it was called). You'll be lucky if you find a make with it at a dealership.
I agree with your comment regarding the Mark Levinson package, as well as the general premise, but there are a number at my nearest dealership listed with Panoramic View packages. But back to the point, using the ES as an example, I believe a larger screen only comes on cars equipped with Nav.
Old 02-28-21, 11:15 AM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
But back to the point, using the ES as an example, I believe a larger screen only comes on cars equipped with Nav.
I don't know anything about the ES, but I know that's true on the current NX. But, the space for the big screen looks to be pretty well-integrated into the design of the dash of the new NX, whereas the current NX puts it on top of the dashboard. Seems to me that the large screen might be standard, just because a smaller screen would look lost in the space that's available.

The display in the instrument panel, on the other hand, I could easily see being an extra cost option.
Old 02-28-21, 01:36 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorsai
I don't know anything about the ES, but I know that's true on the current NX. But, the space for the big screen looks to be pretty well-integrated into the design of the dash of the new NX, whereas the current NX puts it on top of the dashboard. Seems to me that the large screen might be standard, just because a smaller screen would look lost in the space that's available.

The display in the instrument panel, on the other hand, I could easily see being an extra cost option.
In the past when there has been more than one screen size available on a Lexus model, Lexus has often used the same enclosure for those multiple screen sizes, and, with the smaller screens, there has just been a larger empty area of trim surrounding the smaller screen.
Old 02-28-21, 09:14 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I recently watched a video of the new Toyota Highlander by Redline Motors and the entertainment display almost looks exactly like the new NX. Even the vents are located just below in the same position.

The large screen design has clearly been taken from the Highlander. Why can’t Lexus distinguish itself from Toyota? Lexus IS its own brand and they should be producing and using materials and designs that are exclusive to Lexus. Why just take the screen design that works on the Highlander and use it for the Lexus?

When I buy a BMW or a Mercedes or Audi they have their own design language you get inside and you know it’s their brand image. Why does Lexus have to borrow or take interior designs from Toyota cars and use them inside Lexus vehicles. I’m not putting down Toyota, I just don’t understand why Lexus does that?
Old 03-01-21, 02:58 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I recently watched a video of the new Toyota Highlander by Redline Motors and the entertainment display almost looks exactly like the new NX. Even the vents are located just below in the same position.

The large screen design has clearly been taken from the Highlander. Why can’t Lexus distinguish itself from Toyota? Lexus IS its own brand and they should be producing and using materials and designs that are exclusive to Lexus. Why just take the screen design that works on the Highlander and use it for the Lexus?

When I buy a BMW or a Mercedes or Audi they have their own design language you get inside and you know it’s their brand image. Why does Lexus have to borrow or take interior designs from Toyota cars and use them inside Lexus vehicles. I’m not putting down Toyota, I just don’t understand why Lexus does that?
Two reasons number one being $$$$$, self explanatory. Number two is that Toy/Lex doesn’t like putting out unproven stuff. That’s why they’ve used the same couple of engines in every single Toy/Lexus forever since there tried and tested. They will also never be cutting edge in any non hybrid technology/gizmos because they test the hell out of it before they put it out and by the time it’s worked out it’s no longer new technology, and they have so much time/money invested they end up sharing with Lexus or vise versa.
Old 03-01-21, 02:52 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 319 Likes on 249 Posts

Toyota tests new products on Toyota then Lexus. Toyota takes pride in their vehicles. This is not counting rebadge models of course. I can't say all the vehicles are perfect but most are more reliable than other many brands out there. BMW and Mercedes are leading edge so you expect issues but they have the latest tech and gadgets. Most people like to lease BMW and Mercedes but own Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

My 2 cents.
The following users liked this post:
Robb79 (03-07-21)
Old 03-01-21, 05:27 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
In the past when there has been more than one screen size available on a Lexus model, Lexus has often used the same enclosure for those multiple screen sizes, and, with the smaller screens, there has just been a larger empty area of trim surrounding the smaller screen.
Exactly, I wouldn't put it past Lexus to offer multiple screen sizes for the various trim levels. Take a look at the GS for example. With the smaller 8" screen, the screen itself is a pretty good size but when they place it in the bland trim in a space designed for the 12.3" screen, it looks tiny, lost and awkward.
Old 03-02-21, 04:24 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

I would hope that they also upgrade the camera systems and monitors to something that is high def... My friend just picked up a f150 and I am blown away at the camera system by it. Not only is the screen huge but the quality is unreal. It's like looking almost at a high definition camera. I didn't even realize you could get that good of a picture quality with backup cameras and 360 cameras but wow, super impressed! Then going back and looking at the NX and my RCF camera/screen it's a joke. All grainy and not high quality. Such a shame when you think about it. I had nothing to compare it with but after seeing that I truely hope Lexus ups the game, by a lot. Premium/Luxury brands need to have a premium feel. I get the realiability but come on...Up the ante somewhat.

\-Nigel
The following users liked this post:
gnatuw (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 12:16 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Next-Gen Lexus NX Leaked in New Video

Next-Gen Lexus NX Leaked in New Video
By Brett Foote

Lexus accidentally posted a video of the 2022 NX, and now we know exactly what it'll look like.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus NX Spied (post #67 with new image)