NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

First look at the 2022 NX

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-21, 12:33 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,115 Likes on 722 Posts

Very thorough video of the new NX and all it's features.

Old 08-19-21, 01:24 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Very thorough video of the new NX and all it's features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xoz...NorthsideLexus

I saw this video on YouTube yesterday and the good news is that this is the first of its kind concentrating on the new infotainment system.

However, a couple things were brought out that disturb me…

A lot of extra monthly charges with this vehicle if you want to take advantage of all its bells and whistles.

If you want the DIGITAL KEY (and who doesn’t) that is going to be an up charge decision that must be made at the time of ordering. A subscription is required.

Then, to use the infotainment system to its fullest capability, there is a subscription for that.

I am wondering what it’s going to cost each month to have the digital key and infotainment system on top of any car payments?

I have been driving a Lincoln — certainly want to switch to Lexus — but this is not a practice that I am used to.

Last edited by NJRonbo; 08-19-21 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-19-21, 06:47 AM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
I saw this video on YouTube yesterday and the good news is that this is the first of its kind concentrating on the new infotainment system.

However, a couple things were brought out that disturb me…

A lot of extra monthly charges with this vehicle if you want to take advantage of all its bells and whistles.

If you want the DIGITAL KEY (and who doesn’t) that is going to be an up charge decision that must be made at the time of ordering. A subscription is required.

Then, to use the infotainment system to its fullest capability, there is a subscription for that.

I am wondering what it’s going to cost each month to have the digital key and infotainment system on top of any car payments?

I have been driving a Lincoln — certainly want to switch to Lexus — but this is not a practice that I am used to.
I watched the video yesterday and came away with the same idea you did. It seems that if you want the 14" screen you're going to have an extra charge or charges per month to use it. Cloud based nav is an extra charge, etc. Things like remote start, service connect, etc. are extra subscriptions right from the start or come with a trial period? Maybe as more info starts getting released things like this will be answered.
Old 08-19-21, 07:09 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

As a data point, my 2021 ES came with all available subscriptions included on a 3 year "trial" (Except for the Wireless hotspot which is a 90 day trial)

Remote Connect
Safety Connect
Service Connect
Navigation Assistance
Dynamic Navigation

Perhaps they will be as generous with the additional offerings.
Old 08-19-21, 08:18 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoodo
As a data point, my 2021 ES came with all available subscriptions included on a 3 year "trial" (Except for the Wireless hotspot which is a 90 day trial)

Remote Connect
Safety Connect
Service Connect
Navigation Assistance
Dynamic Navigation

Perhaps they will be as generous with the additional offerings.
I would also add that you don't have to renew these things and I typically haven't all of them. I did renew the Remote Connect on my 2016 NX. As for the Dynamic Nav, it just reverts back to normal Nav if you don't renew it so it isn't a big deal
Old 08-19-21, 09:30 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

I didn’t think about all these monthly fees involved. It’s crazy!!

hey Lexus, turn down my ac
lexus-no you didn’t pay your monthly fee lol
Old 08-19-21, 09:51 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

If you get the first 3 years free. Just trade you car in before they expire. Problem solved.

No really, that's a lot of services to pay for. Plus the XM radio subscription.

The question I have is about the Digital Key. It has to be installed at the factory. No port or dealership can install it. So will every car have it installed? Or if you want it, do you have to special order the car?

Last edited by RXWes; 08-19-21 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-19-21, 10:27 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

I understand the subscription prices have not been announced as of yet. I would think Lexus is very much aware it has to keep everything within reason if it wants customers to pay for subscriptions.

Anyone know what the current subscription rates are? Of course, these are not indicative of what the new prices would be, but perhaps in a ballpark area.
Old 08-19-21, 02:16 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

For what it's worth, Toyota currently charges $8 a month or $80 a year for each subscription that it offers. No discounts for anything beyond one year. The standar seems to be the services are free for the normal 3 year lease term, then you'll have a decision to make.
Old 08-19-21, 02:54 PM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
For what it's worth, Toyota currently charges $8 a month or $80 a year for each subscription that it offers. No discounts for anything beyond one year. The standar seems to be the services are free for the normal 3 year lease term, then you'll have a decision to make.
For each subscription or total subscription? I ask because it looks like there will be several subscriptions and $8 a month for each is pretty crazy if you are doing more than one.

Are the services free for 3 years just on a lease or with purchase as well?

Thanks for this information
Old 08-20-21, 08:13 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

The subscriptions are unfortunate. It is my understanding that this has become very common across the industry. It isn't just Lexus... Remember too, Lexus is out some cost to staff these services at their end, they have to hire database staff and pay for the vehicle's cellular connectivity. I'm sure they are factoring in a profit as well so I'm not suggesting they are only trying to recoup their costs. Based on experiences many of us on this forum have shared so far, their data services are not as reliable as the vehicles. That certainly makes people wonder about the value they are getting for these various subscriptions.
Old 08-20-21, 08:59 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

Pricing was/is per each subscription.

https://www.toyota.com/content/entun...es_Pricing.pdf

On the Toyota Avalon for 2019, they sold:

Safety Connect
Remote Connect
Destination Assist Connect
Dynamic Navigation
Old 08-20-21, 09:09 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
Pricing was/is per each subscription.

https://www.toyota.com/content/entun...es_Pricing.pdf

On the Toyota Avalon for 2019, they sold:

Safety Connect
Remote Connect
Destination Assist Connect
Dynamic Navigation
Thank you for that chart. That’s a lot of f-ing subscriptions. It would be nice if they gave a bit of a discount if you used them all.

I still think that CarPlay and Android Auto will be the better navigation tools as there is no charge to use them. So, that’s one less subscription.

The only thing that bothers me — if I looked at the video correctly (and I may be wrong) — there is no dedicated button for CarPlay/Android Auto commands.

Hopefully I am wrong as that would seem very strange to me as voice commands are an integral part of using Siri or Google.
Old 08-20-21, 10:00 AM
ncatoffic1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Thank you for that chart. That’s a lot of f-ing subscriptions. It would be nice if they gave a bit of a discount if you used them all.

I still think that CarPlay and Android Auto will be the better navigation tools as there is no charge to use them. So, that’s one less subscription.

The only thing that bothers me — if I looked at the video correctly (and I may be wrong) — there is no dedicated button for CarPlay/Android Auto commands.

Hopefully I am wrong as that would seem very strange to me as voice commands are an integral part of using Siri or Google.
Yes, I found that strange as well. Why not have a dedicated voice command button? The only reason I can think of is that Toyota wants people to use the Lexus system more than AA or Carplay. With them enabling voice commands, they want people to use that instead. Toyota has been well known in their slow adoption of AA and Carplay. They were probably the last major manufacturer to incorporate Carplay and specially Android Auto in their cars!
Old 08-20-21, 10:04 AM
ncatoffic1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been really looking forward to the NX launch because i am interested in the plug-in hybrid version. After I saw the video, where she mentioned that they wont be getting the PHEV version immediately, I scrolled through the comments, where she replied to one of the comments saying that they wont get the PHEV for 1 year after the launch. She is in Texas
I checked with a local dealer here in GA, and he said something similar. They are taking deposits for the all other models except PHEV. Needless to say I am disappointed. Wonder if I can pick up from out of state and bring it back!

Quick Reply: First look at the 2022 NX