NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

First look at the 2022 NX

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 11:23 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by ncatoffic1
I have been really looking forward to the NX launch because i am interested in the plug-in hybrid version. After I saw the video, where she mentioned that they wont be getting the PHEV version immediately, I scrolled through the comments, where she replied to one of the comments saying that they wont get the PHEV for 1 year after the launch. She is in Texas
I checked with a local dealer here in GA, and he said something similar. They are taking deposits for the all other models except PHEV. Needless to say I am disappointed. Wonder if I can pick up from out of state and bring it back!

Even after the NX plug-in hybrid does become available, I expect that they will be in short supply for quite a while.

When the RAV4 plug-in hybrid started to ship, they were virtually impossible to find (and they still are), and that was well-before the current car shortages caused by chip shortages and other factors. A fully loaded RAV4 plug-in hybrid has an MSRP of around $50,000, and people were having to get on waiting lists and having to pay a premium of as much as $10,000 over MSRP to get one.

I expect that the situation with the NX plug-in hybrid will be similar. A loaded NX plug-in hybrid is likely to have an MSRP of close to $60,000, and, if it follows the same pattern as the RAV4 plug-in hybrid, that would mean paying a premium that could raise the price to around $70,000. And, even with that price, it is likely that finding one to buy will still be very difficult.
Old 08-20-21, 11:42 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I have been really looking forward to the NX launch because i am interested in the plug-in hybrid version. After I saw the video, where she mentioned that they wont be getting the PHEV version immediately, I scrolled through the comments, where she replied to one of the comments saying that they wont get the PHEV for 1 year after the launch. She is in Texas
I checked with a local dealer here in GA, and he said something similar. They are taking deposits for the all other models except PHEV. Needless to say I am disappointed. Wonder if I can pick up from out of state and bring it back!
I’m sure Lexus will be doing the same distribution as the RAV4 Prime.

According to multiple Toyota sources, RAV4 Prime models will only be distributed in 2020 to dealerships in states with ZEV standards already in place.

Zero emission vehicles, or ZEV, are ones that have the potential to produce no direct tailpipe emissions. Although they can still have a conventional internal combustion engine, they must be able to operate without using it.

Only 12 states out of 50 qualify right now as ZEV states.

On Reddit they have Subreddit for the RAV4 Prime. Lots of good information about pricing and locating vehicles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4prime/

Last edited by RXWes; 08-20-21 at 11:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXWes:
ncatoffic1 (08-20-21), rama (08-20-21)
Old 08-20-21, 12:13 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Instead of buying a PHEV NX for 20G entra, I would over a 5 year time period, have over 75 dollars extra a week for gas!

I'm going for the hybrid, but still unsure if that's even worth it, because that hybrid, if it's 10 grand over a gas NX, would for 5 years, give me over 35 dollars a week for gas. Is a hybrid really worth the 150 dollars extra a month that you could either bank, or buy gas. Even if gas was $4.50 a 15 gallon fill up would be about $68.

So... is a hybrid worth two fill ups (15 gallons), of $4.50 a gallon gas a month?

We are getting, on average, 25 gallons per mile on our non-hybrid NX. Please someone convince me that going to 36 miles per gallon, (or so), on a NX hybrid is worth the price. I promise if I don't buy a hybrid, I will plant a tree to make up the the extra co2, or... I will drive my motorcycle more, which gets me 46mpg.
Old 08-20-21, 12:31 PM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The other problem is the chip shortage. I have heard some saying that the shortage could continue for another year. I would imaging that is going to drive up prices and make available vehicles scarce.
The following users liked this post:
mandm904 (11-12-21)
Old 08-20-21, 01:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bob67
I

I'm going for the hybrid, but still unsure if that's even worth it, because that hybrid, if it's 10 grand over a gas NX, would for 5 years, give me over 35 dollars a week for gas. Is a hybrid really worth the 150 dollars extra a month that you could either bank, or buy gas. Even if gas was $4.50 a 15 gallon fill up would be about $68.

So... is a hybrid worth two fill ups (15 gallons), of $4.50 a gallon gas a month?

We are getting, on average, 25 gallons per mile on our non-hybrid NX. Please someone convince me that going to 36 miles per gallon, (or so), on a NX hybrid is worth the price. I promise if I don't buy a hybrid, I will plant a tree to make up the the extra co2, or... I will drive my motorcycle more, which gets me 46mpg.
The price difference between a gas engine NX and a hybrid NX isn't close to $!0,000. For the current generation NX, the MSRP difference between an AWD gas NX and a hybrid NX is only $1150 ($40,160-$39,010). And that price difference is likely to be similar for the 2022 NX.

Last fall, I got tired of waiting for the 2nd generation NX, and I bought a RAV4 Hybrid. The MSRP difference between the AWD gas RAV4 and the RAV4 Hybrid is similar to what it is for NX ($1190).

I'm sure that the EPA fuel economy ratings for the 2nd generation NX Hybrid, which will share the same drive train and other components with the RAV4 Hybrid, will be similar to those for the RAV4 Hybrid. The RAV 4 Hybrid is rated at about 40 mpg. During my first winter with the RAV4 Hybrid, I averaged a little over 40 mpg. Since the spring, with warmer temperatures, I've averaged over 52 mpg. With that kind of fuel economy and with only about a $1200 higher price than the non-hybrid, I'll make up for that higher price with the great fuel economy in under 2 years. But, besides that, there are, for me, other reasons to have chosen the hybrid.

Last edited by lesz; 08-20-21 at 05:20 PM.
ncatoffic1 (08-20-21)
Old 08-20-21, 02:28 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Do you get the Federal 7.500 dollar tax deduction for a Hybrid?
Old 08-20-21, 02:40 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXWes
Do you get the Federal 7.500 dollar tax deduction for a Hybrid?
The federal tax credit applies only to all electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.

The tax credit applies to vehicles with a minimum battery capacity. Also, there are limits as to how many vehicles from each manufacturer are eligible for such credits.

Also note that it is not a a tax deduction. It is a tax credit, which is significantly better than a tax deduction.
Old 08-20-21, 04:37 PM
ncatoffic1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
The federal tax credit applies only to all electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.

The tax credit applies to vehicles with a minimum battery capacity. Also, there are limits as to how many vehicles from each manufacturer are eligible for such credits.

Also note that it is not a a tax deduction. It is a tax credit, which is significantly better than a tax deduction.
my guess based on the battery claims for the NX, is that the NX will be eligible for at least a $4500 tax credit. Toyota has not sold many PHEVs, so there will be no problem with their quota of tax credits expiring
Old 08-20-21, 05:28 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

my guess based on the battery claims for the NX, is that the NX will be eligible for at least a $4500 tax credit. Toyota has not sold many PHEVs, so there will be no problem with their quota of tax credits expiring
The RAV4 Prime owners are getting 7500. And its the same drivetrain that the 450h will have.
ncatoffic1 (08-20-21)
Old 08-21-21, 09:47 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
The other problem is the chip shortage. I have heard some saying that the shortage could continue for another year. I would imaging that is going to drive up prices and make available vehicles scarce.
It is possible that the "New" version of what we would assume would be the New Lexus Standard, could very well be all new chip sets, which maybe wouldn't be in such high demand as the normal chip sets that most manufacturers are using?

Just trying to find some sunlight in all the shadows!

Last edited by dklanecky1; 08-21-21 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-21-21, 09:56 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
It is possible that the "New" version of what we would assume would be the New Lexus Standard, could very well be all new chip sets, which maybe wouldn't be in such high demand as the normal chip sets that most manufacturers are using?

Just trying to find some sunlight in all the shadows!

I see what you are doing there and how I hope you are right.

However, like everything else we are constantly being forewarned about, there are countless news articles and YouTube videos warning people (at the worst) not to buy a car in the next 18 months if they don’t need to.

The more upbeat reports are saying the chip shortage should only last until early next year.
ncatoffic1 (08-21-21)
Old 08-21-21, 10:35 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
The price difference between a gas engine NX and a hybrid NX isn't close to $10,000. For the current generation NX, the MSRP difference between an AWD gas NX and a hybrid NX is only $1150 ($40,160-$39,010). And that price difference is likely to be similar for the 2022 NX.

I'm sure that the EPA fuel economy ratings for the 2nd generation NX Hybrid, which will share the same drive train and other components with the RAV4 Hybrid, will be similar to those for the RAV4 Hybrid. The RAV 4 Hybrid is rated at about 40 mpg. During my first winter with the RAV4 Hybrid, I averaged a little over 40 mpg. Since the spring, with warmer temperatures, I've averaged over 52 mpg. With that kind of fuel economy and with only about a $1200 higher price than the non-hybrid, I'll make up for that higher price with the great fuel economy in under 2 years. But, besides that, there are, for me, other reasons to have chosen the hybrid.
I agree. As of 2013, the average markup for a hybrid drivetrain in comparison to an equivalent gas-only model was around $4000 USD and that extra premium has only decreased over the years. Many people try to justify a hybrid purely on economics but there are many people that also enjoy intangible things like a smoother and quieter drivetrain. Regarding the tax credit, there is a formula based on vehicles sold by a particular manufacturer. Here is the official chart: Federal Tax Credits for All-Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles (fueleconomy.gov) Interestingly enough, I don't see any Lexus vehicles on this chart?? Here is a good description of the tax credit in general - which only applies to vehicles that plug in (regardless of whether they have an additional gas engine): What Is the Electric Vehicle Tax Credit? (americanexpress.com)
ncatoffic1 (08-21-21)
Old 08-22-21, 06:42 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't understand why Lexus didn't use color coding stitching on the passenger dash to highlight the specific interior color option. For instance, the cloudburst gray that Lexus invited all the press at an undisclosed location has a red/black interior f sport 350 AWD. If you look closely at the video Raiti's Rides, you can see the red stitching in the seats at 12:09 time, Lexus needed to carry over that red stitching into the passenger dashboard. It's so bare there cheapens the look in my opinion. Such an easy thing to have added from a design perspective. I guess they save items to add for 2023, 2024 etc... Look at 10:05 and see how plain it looks. For me the only weak part about this car is that specific area, everything else they nailed.

Old 08-22-21, 06:04 PM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
Instead of buying a PHEV NX for 20G entra, I would over a 5 year time period, have over 75 dollars extra a week for gas!

Without getting too deep into it, I believe currently a PHEV is the best of both worlds, and I also own a 19 RX450h and a full EV. I traded our 10yr old CT200h for an Ioniq PHEV. Average MPG on it was over 70 in the winter, and over 90 in the summer, with the EV mode usage averaged in. It's all about the average. Couple of tanks actually went 1200 miles on a 10 gallon fill up. In comparison the CT used to get us low-mid 40's in spring/fall/summer, and high 30's low 40's in winter. If all goes well (such as Lexus having the parts to build them, lol), I'll be trading my RX450h (lifetime MPG average 31.2) for an NX PHEV. I already put a deposit on one. With the current elevated trade in value of used car and accounting for the $7500 in federal tax credit, it should be a great trade. The new NX PHEV and probably the HEV will likely not be discounted for a long time, if ever, even when inventory start to normalize and trade in values start to fall. Great time to take advantage.
Old 08-22-21, 06:10 PM
ncatoffic1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andye39s
Without getting too deep into it, I believe currently a PHEV is the best of both worlds, and I also own a 19 RX450h and a full EV. I traded our 10yr old CT200h for an Ioniq PHEV. Average MPG on it was over 70 in the winter, and over 90 in the summer, with the EV mode usage averaged in. It's all about the average. Couple of tanks actually went 1200 miles on a 10 gallon fill up. In comparison the CT used to get us low-mid 40's in spring/fall/summer, and high 30's low 40's in winter. If all goes well (such as Lexus having the parts to build them, lol), I'll be trading my RX450h (lifetime MPG average 31.2) for an NX PHEV. I already put a deposit on one. With the current elevated trade in value of used car and accounting for the $7500 in federal tax credit, it should be a great trade. The new NX PHEV and probably the HEV will likely not be discounted for a long time, if ever, even when inventory start to normalize and trade in values start to fall. Great time to take advantage.
Couldn’t agree with you more. PHEV is indeed the best of both worlds. For some of us, there is another added advantage of a PHEV (same as with EVs), and that is free access on some toll roads and hov lanes. Where we live, my wife saved an average of $26 in tolls each day when driving a Honda Clarity because she didn’t have to pay toll!
Curious which state are you in. Dealers here are taking deposits for all NXs except the PHEV 😔

Quick Reply: First look at the 2022 NX