NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

First look at the 2022 NX

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-21, 01:46 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I am looking to buy a car in about 7 months.

Want the NX PHEV. I live here in NJ. Not even certain Lexus will have any by then. That will force me to have to buy a Lincoln Corsair PHEV.
Old 08-23-21, 08:32 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
I am looking to buy a car in about 7 months.

Want the NX PHEV. I live here in NJ. Not even certain Lexus will have any by then. That will force me to have to buy a Lincoln Corsair PHEV.
I strongly suggest you call around and put a deposit on one now.
Old 08-23-21, 08:36 AM
andye39s
Driver

Originally Posted by ncatoffic1
Couldn’t agree with you more. PHEV is indeed the best of both worlds. For some of us, there is another added advantage of a PHEV (same as with EVs), and that is free access on some toll roads and hov lanes. Where we live, my wife saved an average of $26 in tolls each day when driving a Honda Clarity because she didn’t have to pay toll!
Curious which state are you in. Dealers here are taking deposits for all NXs except the PHEV 😔
$26 saved on tolls a day is huge. Wow. None of that here, other than no sales tax on full EVs and are exempt from annual inspection. Too bad the no sales tax does not extend to PHEV.
Old 08-23-21, 09:42 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by andye39s
I strongly suggest you call around and put a deposit on one now.
One step ahead of you. I called my local dealer. He is waiting on his buy/build sheet. Told me to call him back at the end of the month.
Old 08-23-21, 10:44 AM
andye39s
Driver

One step ahead of you. I called my local dealer. He is waiting on his buy/build sheet. Told me to call him back at the end of the month.
Hmm I put a deposit on one almost a month ago..
Old 08-23-21, 10:45 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Well, I don’t know what to tell you. My dealer wouldn’t do it until he had the build sheet.
Old 08-23-21, 03:53 PM
NJRonbo
Driver

So, concerning preordering the 2022 NX…

When you put down a deposit are you negotiating price at that point?
Old 08-24-21, 12:58 AM
chocobo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Which model did you sign up for? I put mine down for 350 F sport non hybrid. I was going back and forth between 350 and 350 hybrid, but the horse power different and CVT really swayed me away from hybrid.
Old 08-24-21, 09:58 AM
andye39s
Driver

So, concerning preordering the 2022 NX…

When you put down a deposit are you negotiating price at that point?
Yes, sticker price. There's zero chance they'll discount what is guaranteed to be a hot selling new model, much less the PHEV version.

In the middle of typing this, my salesman emailed me that they're no longer taking deposits on the PHEV. They're getting tons of calls. He said their manager is going to Vegas in 3 weeks and will have some more info then. I assume some kind of Lexus event for the dealerships..

Originally Posted by chocobo
Which model did you sign up for? I put mine down for 350 F sport non hybrid. I was going back and forth between 350 and 350 hybrid, but the horse power different and CVT really swayed me away from hybrid.
NX450h+. On the RX in which I've owned every generation, I've always gone for the hybrid (except the 2001, no hybrid yet). The choice is easy there as the V6 hybrid on the RX had always been more powerful than the non hybrid. The new NX hybrid vs the 350 though, there's a significant power deficit on the hybrid version. I like the CVT on the RX hybrid with it being a smooth and good sounding V6 engine. We also had a CT200h, with the CVT and the buzzy 4 cylinder it wasn't overly pleasing, so I get what your hesitation is. I test drove a UX250h and it was quite a bit smoother than the old CT, and I have to believe the current 4 cylinder hybrid drive train is smoother still. In all likelihood the next gen RX will be all 4 cylinder. I don't think I'll like it in a car that big, one of the reasons I'm going from my RX to the new NX.
Old 08-24-21, 10:45 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Yes, sticker price. There's zero chance they'll discount what is guaranteed to be a hot selling new model, much less the PHEV version.

In the middle of typing this, my salesman emailed me that they're no longer taking deposits on the PHEV. They're getting tons of calls. He said their manager is going to Vegas in 3 weeks and will have some more info then. I assume some kind of Lexus event for the dealerships..

NX450h+. On the RX in which I've owned every generation, I've always gone for the hybrid (except the 2001, no hybrid yet). The choice is easy there as the V6 hybrid on the RX had always been more powerful than the non hybrid. The new NX hybrid vs the 350 though, there's a significant power deficit on the hybrid version. I like the CVT on the RX hybrid with it being a smooth and good sounding V6 engine. We also had a CT200h, with the CVT and the buzzy 4 cylinder it wasn't overly pleasing, so I get what your hesitation is. I test drove a UX250h and it was quite a bit smoother than the old CT, and I have to believe the current 4 cylinder hybrid drive train is smoother still. In all likelihood the next gen RX will be all 4 cylinder. I don't think I'll like it in a car that big, one of the reasons I'm going from my RX to the new NX.

A couple things to touch upon here…

I am in a position where I have to get a vehicle in the next 7 months as the lease on my Lincoln MKZ Hybrid is coming to an end.

I am excited about the prospect of switching over to the Lexus brand. At the same time some major concerns…

1. You are correct that I can’t negotiate the price on the Lexus as it will be in high demand. Yeah, I am going to be paying full price. Am I also going to pay more because of the chip shortages?

2. The vehicle I want is the 2022 NX PHEV. One question is, how expensive will it be? I think it will come in under $60k loaded, which is what the 2021 Lincoln Corsair PHEV loaded costs. The 2022 model of the Corsair would be my second choice.

3. Will there even be NX PHEV models available? Even in 7 months?

I am also worried about maintenance costs. Driving a Lincoln for these few years, I was already spending about $110 for oil change and tire rotation. I can just imagine how much costlier the Lexus is going to be be to maintain. I also think Lincoln gives you more bang for the buck when it comes to technology in their vehicles and they don’t charge you extra subscriptions to use their navigation/voice services…

…but I already know Lexus is a more reliable brand (perhaps THE most reliable) and that there is less depreciation on their vehicles.

I am hoping the drive is as good as a Lincoln. I have a feeling I am going to be very satisfied moving to Lexus. Just some concerns.

Last edited by NJRonbo; 08-24-21 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-24-21, 11:19 AM
andye39s
Driver

A couple things to touch upon here…

I am in a position where I have to get a vehicle in the next 7 months as the lease on my Lincoln MKZ Hybrid is coming to an end.

I am excited about the prospect of switching over to the Lexus brand. At the same time some major concerns…

1. You are correct that I can’t negotiate the price on the Lexus as it will be in high demand. Yeah, I am going to be paying full price. Am I also going to pay more because of the chip shortages?

2. The vehicle I want is the 2022 NX PHEV. One question is, how expensive will it be? I think it will come in under $60k loaded, which is what the 2021 Lincoln Corsair PHEV loaded costs. The 2022 model of the Corsair would be my second choice.

3. Will there even be NX PHEV models available? Even in 7 months?

I am also worried about maintenance costs. Driving a Lincoln for these few years, I was already spending about $110 for oil change and tire rotation. I can just imagine how much costlier the Lexus is going to be be to maintain. I also think Lincoln gives you more bang for the buck when it comes to technology in their vehicles and they don’t charge you extra subscriptions to use their navigation/voice services…

…but I already know Lexus is a more reliable brand (perhaps THE most reliable) and that there is less depreciation on their vehicles.

I am hoping the drive is as good as a Lincoln. I have a feeling I am going to be very satisfied moving to Lexus. Just some concerns.
Judging by how limited the RAV4 Prime was and still is, I highly doubt that the NX PHEV will be available off dealer lots in 7 months. In all likelihood all cars that are coming in in the foreseeable future are for those who have a deposit on one. All that you can do now is call around and see if there are other dealers still taking deposits on it. My salesman told me November to December time frame at the time I gave them the deposit. From his email today, I have doubts.

A loaded RAV4 Prime is $50k. My guess is yes it'll be easily $60k loaded. I requested a car with Mark Levinson and luxury package, and my salesman said cars that come with the ML will more than likely come equipped with everything else whether I want it or not.

My dealer charges $90 for oil change on my RX, and $70 on the CT when I had it. Not sure about tire rotation as I do that myself, as are brakes. I'm not familiar with Ford and Lincoln's hybrid drive train, but Lexus' hybrid drive train actually has less maintenance than the non hybrid version.

I bought a Mach-E couple months ago. I believe the navigation will require a subscription after 3yrs. I haven't looked into yet. Not sure how Lexus will handle subscription services on the new Lexus system in the new NX, but yeah on my RX in order to use the remote start from the app, I'd have to subscribe to something. Never looked into it as it's not something I need. I sat in a few Lincolns on the showroom floor when I bought the Mach-E. I was very impressed with how nice that are. If the NX PHEV timing doesn't work out, the Corsair PHEV is a very nice car. Is the PHEV only available on the Grand Touring trim? Saw one at my Mach-E dealer with a $59k sticker price.
Old 08-24-21, 11:25 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Judging by how limited the RAV4 Prime was and still is, I highly doubt that the NX PHEV will be available off dealer lots in 7 months. In all likelihood all cars that are coming in in the foreseeable future are for those who have a deposit on one. All that you can do now is call around and see if there are other dealers still taking deposits on it. My salesman told me November to December time frame at the time I gave them the deposit. From his email today, I have doubts.

A loaded RAV4 Prime is $50k. My guess is yes it'll be easily $60k loaded. I requested a car with Mark Levinson and luxury package, and my salesman said cars that come with the ML will more than likely come equipped with everything else whether I want it or not.

My dealer charges $90 for oil change on my RX, and $70 on the CT when I had it. Not sure about tire rotation as I do that myself, as are brakes. I'm not familiar with Ford and Lincoln's hybrid drive train, but Lexus' hybrid drive train actually has less maintenance than the non hybrid version.

I bought a Mach-E couple months ago. I believe the navigation will require a subscription after 3yrs. I haven't looked into yet. Not sure how Lexus will handle subscription services on the new Lexus system in the new NX, but yeah on my RX in order to use the remote start from the app, I'd have to subscribe to something. Never looked into it as it's not something I need. I sat in a few Lincolns on the showroom floor when I bought the Mach-E. I was very impressed with how nice that are. If the NX PHEV timing doesn't work out, the Corsair PHEV is a very nice car. Is the PHEV only available on the Grand Touring trim? Saw one at my Mach-E dealer with a $59k sticker price.
Hi Andy!

My dealer is still waiting on a build sheet but expects to start taking deposits in about another week or two (at the most).

The NX will have subscriptions. It is something that was mentioned in the video that was posted in a few posts above.

The Lincoln Corsair PHEV only comes in the Grand Touring lineup for 2021. Not sure if that will be the case for 2022, but I still suspect, fully loaded, it will be $60k.

I was hoping to come under $60k on a loaded NX PHEV, but I have a feeling that won’t be the case.

I will let you know what kind of price I get in the next week or two. Just heard from my local Lexus dealer and he’s still waiting for his build sheets and what vehicles will actually be offered.
Old 08-25-21, 08:12 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

I just got back from a meeting with my financial advisor, who is a big car guy and knows someone at the local Lexus dealership.

This dealership friend of his is telling my guy not to send anyone his way right now. The boss at his dealership is telling his reps to basically gouge customers on price due to lack of vehicle availability. As expected, chip shortages mean vehicle shortages and everyone is being warned this is not a good time to buy a vehicle.

I am being referred to this Lexus dealer associate and due to talk to him in the next two days. I expect he’ll be as honest with me as I can hope and give me some insight into whether this is a good time to even put down a deposit (which means negotiating a price) on a 2022 NX vehicle. He may even be taking preorders at his dealership (as this was not the one I was originally speaking with).

I’ll report back with what I am told.
The following users liked this post:
ncatoffic1 (08-25-21)
Old 08-25-21, 09:06 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

The wheelbase of the 2022 NX is 105.9 inches, which is identical to the 2021 Toyota Venza.

My guess is a test drive in the Venza top trim (Limited) would give you some what of an idea of how the NX will drive, although the NX will certainly be more luxurious (quieter/smoother) than the Venza.
Old 08-25-21, 10:30 AM
andye39s
Driver

I just got back from a meeting with my financial advisor, who is a big car guy and knows someone at the local Lexus dealership.

This dealership friend of his is telling my guy not to send anyone his way right now. The boss at his dealership is telling his reps to basically gouge customers on price due to lack of vehicle availability. As expected, chip shortages mean vehicle shortages and everyone is being warned this is not a good time to buy a vehicle.

I am being referred to this Lexus dealer associate and due to talk to him in the next two days. I expect he’ll be as honest with me as I can hope and give me some insight into whether this is a good time to even put down a deposit (which means negotiating a price) on a 2022 NX vehicle. He may even be taking preorders at his dealership (as this was not the one I was originally speaking with).

I’ll report back with what I am told.
I will never pay over sticker. My salesman told me they don't markup. The NX will be my 5th purchase from him. I'll see if things change when and if the car shows up. On a car that likely will never be discounted, such as the NX PHEV and probably even the HEV, if you can manage to buy one at sticker price and have a trade in involved, it is absolutely a great time to buy to take advantage of high trade in value. This is how I'm looking at it.

Please do update with whatever info you get.
The following users liked this post:
rama (08-27-21)

Quick Reply: First look at the 2022 NX