NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

First look at the 2022 NX

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 07:14 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by andye39s
The new NX PHEV and probably the HEV will likely not be discounted for a long time, if ever, even when inventory start to normalize and trade in values start to fall. Great time to take advantage.
I am not sure what you mean. I don’t think either of those vehicles are being discounted now. Dealers are allegedly gouging customers.
Old 08-26-21, 07:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

As we all know, now is a bad time to buy cars due to the chip shortage. If you do not want to pay inflated prices, you need to wait.
Old 08-26-21, 07:28 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
As we all know, now is a bad time to buy cars due to the chip shortage. If you do not want to pay inflated prices, you need to wait.
I agree. Everybody is talking about what an awful time this is to buy a vehicle. It has never been so bad. There are no discounts being given.
Old 08-26-21, 08:33 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
I am not sure what you mean. I don’t think either of those vehicles are being discounted now. Dealers are allegedly gouging customers.
Right now, used car prices are through the roof because of the lack of new car inventory, and some new car dealers have heavy markup on the cars that they do have. If you can manage to buy a hot new model at sticker price, and have a trade in to cash in on the unusually high trade in values, you come out ahead on both ends. This is how I'm looking at it, and is what happened when I traded a Tesla for my Mach-E. A month or so after I bought it, the same dealer now wants $5K over sticker.

I have a good relationship with my Lexus dealer. Very easy to work with. I can only go by what the salesman confirmed to me, no markup. If that changes, no big deal just refund my deposit.

Edit: You mentioned you want blue but non F-Sport. This is the grecian water blue which is the only blue on non F-Sport, first time seeing it in person when I left my deposit at the dealer. Looks a bit dull for my taste. The ultra sonic blue is very nice but F-Sport exclusive.

Last edited by andye39s; 08-26-21 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 08-26-21, 09:26 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Okay…

I seem to have fallen into a fortunate position that someone I deal with is best friends with a Lexus dealer. I just got off the phone with a gentleman from that dealership who said he would take good care of me because of the referral.

The information he gave me is that right now, Lexus has a huge shortage of vehicles. No surprise. His lot usually has over 300 new vehicles. They only have 30. Lexus is supposedly in a better position to get more vehicles as since post the tsunami, they have built more plants worldwide.

Right now, there is not much information that dealers have on the 2022 NX. I am not sure how other dealers are taking deposits as this is the second dealership that has confirmed they haven’t received any build sheets with pricing. They don’t even expect to see new models arrive until around October/November (though usually new vehicles start appearing at the end of August).

The dealer also said that build options on these vehicles may be severely limited because of the overall shortage. So, one might go into a dealership knowing what their dream NX will be, but may be shocked to find that certain build options will not be available. Realize, this car shortage is now expected to go through the Winter of early next year.

I am in a fortunate position where time is on my side for at least 7 months. However, knowing how long this shortage may last, that may not even be enough.

The dealer I spoke with will be calling me weekly to give me updates and has promised that the second he gets a build sheet in his hands, he will have me in to look over the colors and build options as well as having the ability to drive a 2022 NX once it hits the showroom floor.
Old 08-26-21, 09:39 AM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Sadly, yes. My plan was to buy my new NX at the end of this calendar year, but I'm not willing to overpay for it. Fortunately, my '04 RX is still running strong....there's an intermittent fault with one of the catalytic converters but it doesn't affect how it drives, and as long as I can get the check engine light to stay off long enough to pass emissions it's no big deal. I can be patient.
Old 08-26-21, 09:57 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
How are you coming up with this?
The Prius and RAV4 Plug In Prime vehicles. The vast majority get sent to Low Emission States. Production is not able to keep up to demand. So they go to these states first. In a couple years. Maybe Supply will catch up.
Old 08-26-21, 10:10 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Right now, used car prices are through the roof because of the lack of new car inventory, and some new car dealers have heavy markup on the cars that they do have. If you can manage to buy a hot new model at sticker price, and have a trade in to cash in on the unusually high trade in values, you come out ahead on both ends. This is how I'm looking at it, and is what happened when I traded a Tesla for my Mach-E. A month or so after I bought it, the same dealer now wants $5K over sticker.

I have a good relationship with my Lexus dealer. Very easy to work with. I can only go by what the salesman confirmed to me, no markup. If that changes, no big deal just refund my deposit.

Edit: You mentioned you want blue but non F-Sport. This is the grecian water blue which is the only blue on non F-Sport, first time seeing it in person when I left my deposit at the dealer. Looks a bit dull for my taste. The ultra sonic blue is very nice but F-Sport exclusive.

Andy, I agree. That blue does seem a bit underwhelming.

There was an orange color that looked interesting. However, that’s a bit loud, but still, it looked kind of cool. Not sure if that is a F-Sport exclusive either.

I’ll look at the colors when I get to the dealership.

I am still wondering what the dealer had you build? Unless it’s area specific, nobody has build sheets yet. Nobody knows what options are actually going to be available when it comes to custom-building these cars. I mean, I am not ruling out that your dealer is one of the first with this information.

As far as your deposit — when does it no longer become a deposit? At some point, you are going to lose it if you don’t make a decision in time.
Old 08-26-21, 11:38 AM
andye39s
Driver

Andy, I agree. That blue does seem a bit underwhelming.

There was an orange color that looked interesting. However, that’s a bit loud, but still, it looked kind of cool. Not sure if that is a F-Sport exclusive either.

I’ll look at the colors when I get to the dealership.

I am still wondering what the dealer had you build? Unless it’s area specific, nobody has build sheets yet. Nobody knows what options are actually going to be available when it comes to custom-building these cars. I mean, I am not ruling out that your dealer is one of the first with this information.

As far as your deposit — when does it no longer become a deposit? At some point, you are going to lose it if you don’t make a decision in time.
He was very clear to me that it's not a custom order. The initial batch of cars will be however Lexus chooses to build and send to the dealership. My order form is just their generic form they use for initially signing a deal, with just be preferred color choices and the two options. The day he took my deposit was a day after Lexus released the preorder guide PDF. And yes he confirmed the deposit is refundable if I changed my mind or whatever reason.
Old 08-26-21, 11:41 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

He was very clear to me that it's not a custom order. The initial batch of cars will be however Lexus chooses to build and send to the dealership. My order form is just their generic form they use for initially signing a deal, with just be preferred color choices and the two options. The day he took my deposit was a day after Lexus released the preorder guide PDF. And yes he confirmed the deposit is refundable if I changed my mind or whatever reason.
Hey Andy!

That makes a lot of sense. Selection will be limited at start.

I am surprised they gave you the option for a refund on your deposit. A deposit is supposed to ensure Lexus that you are serious about purchasing/leasing a particular build. At some point, as you near the actual vehicle release date, you would think there would be no refund. However, if that’s the deal they made you that’s great.

I will let you know how I do on my end as the weeks progress. I may have more build options as I don’t need a vehicle for 7 more months.

Old 08-26-21, 12:52 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Hey Andy!

I am surprised they gave you the option for a refund on your deposit. A deposit is supposed to ensure Lexus that you are serious about purchasing/leasing a particular build.
The dealer has absolutely no need to require a non-refundable deposit when they are ordering a vehicle that they know they will have no trouble at all selling quickly even if you back out of the deal.

In fact, in the case of ordering an NX plug-in hybrid, it would probably make more sense to have the dealer give you a non-refundable deposit to guarantee that, when the car arrives, they won't sell the car to someone else who is willing to pay a higher price for it.

Old 08-26-21, 03:38 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

As someone mentioned above I wouldn’t be surprised if the new NX comes in with missing options. BMW is doing the same thing, the refreshed X3 has already arrived at dealers in FL and most are missing key features like wireless charging, Harman Kardon upgraded sound system, 360 camera systems and electronic fold down rear seats, lumbar seating for passenger and electronic side bolstering for passenger side with sport seats. I’m sure it’s due to chip shortages. Who wants to pay 65k for a luxury sport vehicle with all these missing options? And still pay full sticker price? Crazy!
Old 08-27-21, 08:05 AM
andye39s
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
The dealer has absolutely no need to require a non-refundable deposit when they are ordering a vehicle that they know they will have no trouble at all selling quickly even if you back out of the deal.

In fact, in the case of ordering an NX plug-in hybrid, it would probably make more sense to have the dealer give you a non-refundable deposit to guarantee that, when the car arrives, they won't sell the car to someone else who is willing to pay a higher price for it.
Oh absolutely. They couldn't care less if I call and ask for my deposit back. They will miss out on my super mint RXh for trade though.

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
As someone mentioned above I wouldn’t be surprised if the new NX comes in with missing options. BMW is doing the same thing, the refreshed X3 has already arrived at dealers in FL and most are missing key features like wireless charging, Harman Kardon upgraded sound system, 360 camera systems and electronic fold down rear seats, lumbar seating for passenger and electronic side bolstering for passenger side with sport seats. I’m sure it’s due to chip shortages. Who wants to pay 65k for a luxury sport vehicle with all these missing options? And still pay full sticker price? Crazy!
There's a new video on Youtube of a NX450h+ on the showroom floor, I think posted by a Lexus dealership in Germany. No lumbar support on the passenger side. Does the current gen NX have lumbar support on the passenger seat? I think my first choice color is now cloudburst gray after seeing that video.
Old 08-27-21, 08:11 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Oh absolutely. They couldn't care less if I call and ask for my deposit back. They will miss out on my super mint RXh for trade though.

There's a new video on Youtube of a NX450h+ on the showroom floor, I think posted by a Lexus dealership in Germany. No lumbar support on the passenger side. Does the current gen NX have lumbar support on the passenger seat? I think my first choice color is now cloudburst gray after seeing that video.
Can you link the video? Others are linking videos in their posts for reference. Thanks, Andy.
Old 08-27-21, 08:57 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Is it this one?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CaARCGlAA8U

Quick Reply: First look at the 2022 NX