NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

First look at the 2022 NX

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-21 | 01:50 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2merc3lex
Got this second hand, don't hold me accountable. Was just on the phone this morning with an acquaintance who just had a conversation with a close friend of his who owns or runs a dealership in Atlanta. This dealer (a high volume dealer) told him he was told not to expect to get any 2022 NXs with luxury packages right away. If this is true many of us will be deeply disappointed. I pressed him on how long this could last and they don't know, but are playing it month to month. He expects to start getting some low end NXs soon however.
Disappointing, but not at all surprising. The only upside to this is that the longer it takes them to get my vehicle (NX350 w/Luxury package) in, the bigger my new car fund grows.
Old 08-31-21 | 10:27 PM
JamesAbbe
Driver School Candidate

Default MSRP for 450h+

New to this forum. I placed deposit with my Lexus dealer in June for PHEV. I’m also of the opinion that dealer markups are not acceptable, especially given Lexus is a luxury brand that cares about loyalty and I’m pretty sure they operate differently from most Toyota dealers.

Looking at the thread, I think the consensus is 450h+ will come in around $60k MSRP. I’m actually thinking Lexus might just increase the MSRP (but not invoice) as a way to keep both the customer and dealer happy. In the end we know there’s inflation hitting and increasing MSRP by 5-10% sounds somewhat possible. If sales go bad, they can always do promotions and cash back. Wonder there’s any reason against it. Note, Tesla has increased their vehicle price by about 10% over the course of the year and nobody is really complaining, the wait times are really really long.
Old 09-01-21 | 04:25 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

It’s sad that Lexus is promoting the 450h+ so much when in reality it will be very limited. They should have make it clear in all promotional material and online that this model will only be available in certain regions so it sets expectations for customers.

To release a model and then later say it may be several years before some regions get it seems not quite right. Everyone keeps pushing EV’s but when you want one it’s not available. *confused*
The following users liked this post:
ncatoffic1 (09-01-21)
Old 09-01-21 | 04:30 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
It’s sad that Lexus is promoting the 450h+ so much when in reality it will be very limited. They should have make it clear in all promotional material and online that this model will only be available in certain regions so it sets expectations for customers.

To release a model and then later say it may be several years before some regions get it seems not quite right. Everyone keeps pushing EV’s but when you want one it’s not available. *confused*

We are in a situation that we have never been in before.

There is a chip shortage that will probably affect the availability and price of vehicles for the next 8 months or more.

When Lexus and other manufacturers are marketing their vehicle, they are just doing business as usual with an air of “uncertainty.” I don’t think anyone knows when vehicle shortages will improve, but it’s probably best to keep promoting while keeping customers informed through dealerships of actual availability.
Old 09-01-21 | 09:31 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

When they advertise. They are doing it for the whole country. Not just the 13 Low Emissions states.
Old 09-01-21 | 10:40 AM
ncatoffic1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXWes
When they advertise. They are doing it for the whole country. Not just the 13 Low Emissions states.
they are doing what they intend to do; build excitement for a product. Look at us making reservations when not much is known about the car, it’s availability or price!!
Old 09-01-21 | 02:56 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by ncatoffic1
they are doing what they intend to do; build excitement for a product. Look at us making reservations when not much is known about the car, it’s availability or price!!
What also compounds the problem is that it’s been 7 yrs since redesign and you have all this interest (especially the 450h+) with availability only in certain regions. I just hope I don’t have to wait till spring 2022 for a f sport w luxury pkg since the 450h+ is now out of the picture.
Old 09-01-21 | 07:42 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
There is a chip shortage that will probably affect the availability and price of vehicles for the next 8 months or more.
Received this not from my dealer today:

"I wanted to let you know that they have delayed the building of the new NX for a while. I will let you know when we can get one for you. Sorry about that."
Old 09-01-21 | 09:01 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

What also compounds the problem is that it’s been 7 yrs since redesign and you have all this interest (especially the 450h+) with availability only in certain regions. I just hope I don’t have to wait till spring 2022 for a f sport w luxury pkg since the 450h+ is now out of the picture.
Lots of interest is debatable. It’s a nice new vehicle for sure. But there are plenty of RAV4 Primes available if you need a plug in. And they wont cost 60K+

Old 09-02-21 | 03:08 AM
jer
Instructor

Originally Posted by RXWes
Lots of interest is debatable. It’s a nice new vehicle for sure. But there are plenty of RAV4 Primes available if you need a plug in. And they wont cost 60K+
West coast of Florida have no RAV4 Primes available. I believe it will be the same for the NX variant, probably just on the west coast first, then trickle down to the rest of the country.
Old 09-02-21 | 04:33 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

There are no RAV4 Primes in Florida. But almost 500 in New York

so If you want a 2022 NX450h. You will need to travel to one of the 13 low emissions states and purchase one. Same as the RAV4 Prime people are doing. It will be awhile before production even begins to meet demand. And they will continue to sell them in those states to meet government requirements.
Old 09-02-21 | 04:54 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

I know there is a lot of red tape involved but all I know is that in FL there is a Tesla at every turn, I see more Tesla’s than Toyota’s and certainly more Tesla’s than Lexus.

If this many Tesla’s can be sold in Florida why not the 450h+? Government rules the same government that says you need to buy a EV not a gas car.
Old 09-02-21 | 08:07 AM
andye39s
Driver

Originally Posted by 2merc3lex
I'm looking to buy the NX350 non F sport as soon as possible. Don't think I will find what I want with desired options setting on a dealer's lot so will have to special order. Have had to do it that way the last few cars I bought. But what I am looking at is the new Lexus color Cloud Burst Grey. I have seen a few videos with that color and while some look great in certain angles and light, some look too dark. I wanted to place order ASAP but may have to wait till I can get a first hand look see.
Not sure where this is but a nice look at the 450h+ f sport
Cloudburst gray is such a nice looking color.
​​​​​​https://youtu.be/CaARCGlAA8U
Here's an IS in cloudburst gray next an RX in nebula on a cloudy day. Cloudburst is quite a bit darker in person, at least under those clouds. I agree it is absolutely stunning in that video under the interior lighting of that showroom and totally made it my first choice. Looking at this picture, it is a bit dark, even more so in person. It is a more "vibrant" gray than nebula, if gray can ever be described as vibrant lol. I am still split perfectly down the middle between cloudburst and atomic silver. I saw couple of atomic silver GS and NX on the road this week and they looked beautiful. It is when the atomic silver shows a tint of beige under a certain lighting that I don't like. Also saw a newer BMW M5 that looked a lot like atomic silver. Do you guys happen to know what BMW color that is?

I will let either Lexus of my dealer decide for me between atomic and cloudburst. I'll take whichever shows up, but I'm not counting on it to be this year.

Just saw
video that goes more in depth with the new Lexus interface. I'm not so sure I'm sold on it. She mentioned that voice control is the preferred method to control the car (around the 13:15 mark), that there's not even a voice activation button, and if that is the case, then the car is listening the whole time. The nav will also be strictly subscription based. There may come a day that nav will cease to function years later. I also don't like that. Oh and capacitive touch buttons on the steering wheel? I do not like that one bit.

BTW also saw a new RAV4 Prime this week with a temporary plate. Second time I've ever seen one on the roads since its release.

Old 09-02-21 | 08:13 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by Larry96815
I also had a 2005 CLK. Loved it. If I remember correctly the lid also opened from the front. Am I correct Nigel?
Yes sir! The awesome part of the console was you could lift up the center handle and it would raise the entire console lid so if you were taller or wanted your arm higher you could do so. Then if you lifted it one more time it would completely open from the back. See pictures below. Don't mind the red mark. Pulled it off MBworld.

But the top portion could open via the driver side or passenger side, depending on who needed access. It honestly was a really good design and very roomy!

I also loved our CLK. I have a w211 now, but honestly the CLK was a very solid car. Very nicely built, easy to maintain and was just a very good fit and finish. When I sold our CLK to our friend it had almost 200k miles on it and the only two problems I had was the rear window regulator broke causing the rear window now to open or close. It's a very common problem but the fix was only $25....I'm sure the dealer would have charged several hundred to do it, but I'm DIY with most stuff. And I replaced the AC compressor. The definitely don't make MB like they used to.

-Nigel
Old 09-02-21 | 08:25 AM
nigel821
Racer

So I'm super confused now with hybrid and plug in hybrid... I've read the entire thread and I'm still like "which is better?".

So what everyone is saying with a normal hybrid is that the engine/braking...etc. That's ALL charging (depending on conditions/speed) the battery. The car automatically switches between battery mode and gas mode. I just actually drove a Prius in Hawaii as a rental the last two weeks and I was pleasantly surprised at not only how little gas was used but just the sheer MPG we were getting. One thing I noticed is I could be in EV mode up to a certain speed then it would switch to gas. But if I was cruising on the highway at say 60ish if I looked at my gauge cluster it would sometimes read EV, so at that point I wasn't sure if I was full battery mode or a combination of both because it still sounded like the engine was running.

With a plug in hybrid (this is where I am confused). Do you HAVE to plug the vehicle in to charge it or will the gas engine/braking also charge that battery? A plug in hybrid gives you the ability to "switch" battery only mode but only for X amount of miles/time depending on charge level I suppose, yes? And from reading you get an extended range with plug in hybrid due to the fact that the battery is bigger, but also heavier?

Am I understanding that correctly?

If that above is correct then I guess I'm not understanding why a plug in hybrid is better if you are in a way having to manually charge the car compared to a normal hybrid that is charging it for you. Unless you needed that extra battery range, then it would make sense.

Thanks,
-Nigel

Quick Reply: First look at the 2022 NX