NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

First look at the 2022 NX

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 10:30 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by andye39s
Jake did the build sheet video on the 450h+. He seems like a cool salesman.. Car comes standard with the luxury package so there's really not much to add. One big omission being the Mark Levinson is somehow not listed being available on the 450h+. Might just be a mistake on Lexus' part, or perhaps it is standard. So your only real decision is whether you want F-Sport or not, plus the couple of minor options. Still no pricing yet. My guess luxury is $59.9K, and F-Sport is $63K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaJffZ6etXo

Thanks for this information.

I might go for the Sport if it does come with Luxury. However, it must also include Panoramic Sunroof (which I am not sure Sport has) and of course, if Mark Levinson PREMIUM is not standard on that vehicle then I go with the luxury vehicle instead.

I think we are all in for a long wait on these vehicles. The chip shortage is shutting or slowing down production.
Old 09-07-21, 10:57 AM
ncatoffic1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jake did the build sheet video on the 450h+. He seems like a cool salesman.. Car comes standard with the luxury package so there's really not much to add. One big omission being the Mark Levinson is somehow not listed being available on the 450h+. Might just be a mistake on Lexus' part, or perhaps it is standard. So your only real decision is whether you want F-Sport or not, plus the couple of minor options. Still no pricing yet. My guess luxury is $59.9K, and F-Sport is $63K.
v=LaJffZ6etXo
I think the only other notable omission is the 360 camera from the standard 450h+. It’s an option. I am so used to having a 360 camera, that I cannot buy a car without one!
Old 09-08-21, 07:34 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Thanks for this information.

I might go for the Sport if it does come with Luxury. However, it must also include Panoramic Sunroof (which I am not sure Sport has) and of course, if Mark Levinson PREMIUM is not standard on that vehicle then I go with the luxury vehicle instead.

I think we are all in for a long wait on these vehicles. The chip shortage is shutting or slowing down production.
It appears the panoramic roof is not available on the 450h+, period. Skip to 24:13. With the F Sport, you'll be trading leather seats from the luxury to NuLuxe (fake leather), skip to 16:51. I had a CT with the NuLuxe. It held up extremely well over 110K miles, certainly better than real leather, but it simply does not feel as nice as real leather. This is a big reason I bought a 2019 RXh instead of a 2020. Leather was shifted to the luxury package only and it was hard to get on the 2020 model.

The 6.6kW charger really should be standard. With the 6.6, the car can be fully charged in about 2.5hrs, compared to 4.5hrs with the standard 3.3. With the 6.6, the car can be topped off for multiple gas-free trips during the day.

Yeah I'm definitely not counting on this car to be available this year.
Old 09-08-21, 07:40 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

I would prefer to have real leather but I also want the adaptive suspension with dampers. It’s too bad F Sport with Luxury doesn’t include option for leather seating.

Does Nuluxe feel and smell like leather? I’m concerned it will feel like plastic or vinyl. I’ve always had leather in my cars.
Old 09-08-21, 08:00 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

It appears the panoramic roof is not available on the 450h+, period. Skip to 24:13. With the F Sport, you'll be trading leather seats from the luxury to NuLuxe (fake leather), skip to 16:51. I had a CT with the NuLuxe. It held up extremely well over 110K miles, certainly better than real leather, but it simply does not feel as nice as real leather. This is a big reason I bought a 2019 RXh instead of a 2020. Leather was shifted to the luxury package only and it was hard to get on the 2020 model.

The 6.6kW charger really should be standard. With the 6.6, the car can be fully charged in about 2.5hrs, compared to 4.5hrs with the standard 3.3. With the 6.6, the car can be topped off for multiple gas-free trips during the day.

Yeah I'm definitely not counting on this car to be available this year.

Okay, so the real leather and panoramic is a must for me. So the F-SPORT is totally out.

My dealer called me and said he is finally getting build sheets in this week, as early as tomorrow, and will have me down to see him.
Old 09-08-21, 08:54 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I would prefer to have real leather but I also want the adaptive suspension with dampers. It’s too bad F Sport with Luxury doesn’t include option for leather seating.

Does Nuluxe feel and smell like leather? I’m concerned it will feel like plastic or vinyl. I’ve always had leather in my cars.
I have had Lexus vehicles with both leather and NuLuxe. I echo a previous comment that the NuLuxe holds up better than real leather. As a synthetic material, it doesn't develop the wrinkles along the stretch marks in the animal hide used for the seats. In terms of feel, people have commented on the "nice leather" in some of my NuLuxe equipped cars so most people cannot tell a difference in the feel of the material. For me, the big negative is that it absolutely does NOT smell like leather. I don't have a big preference and appreciate how well NuLuxe holds up, but I might have a very slight preference for leather because I do enjoy that smell. Nothing like the rich smell of tanning fluids...
Old 09-08-21, 08:58 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by TechNut
I have had Lexus vehicles with both leather and NuLuxe. I echo a previous comment that the NuLuxe holds up better than real leather. As a synthetic material, it doesn't develop the wrinkles along the stretch marks in the animal hide used for the seats. In terms of feel, people have commented on the "nice leather" in some of my NuLuxe equipped cars so most people cannot tell a difference in the feel of the material. For me, the big negative is that it absolutely does NOT smell like leather. I don't have a big preference and appreciate how well NuLuxe holds up, but I might have a very slight preference for leather because I do enjoy that smell. Nothing like the rich smell of tanning fluids...
Hey, this is off-topic but it seems like you might have the answer to this. Have leather cleaning cream stuck in my perforated black leather seats. You can see streaks of white where they are caked in. Tried removing excess with towel while wet but would not come out. Is there a way of getting that out?
Old 09-08-21, 10:47 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,161 Likes on 990 Posts

Use a stiff brush or toothbrush to push the stuff through the holes in the seat. You need to push it down to clean out the holes, not just drag the brush across the seat.
Old 09-08-21, 10:59 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

All of the 4 Lexus vehicles that I've owned had leather seating. Three of them had the standard leather, and one had the semi-aniline leather. My Toyota RAV4 Hybrid has what Toyota calls Sof-Tex seating, which is just Toyota's name for NuLuxe.

The standard leather is okay, but it doesn't at all have a soft feel to it. The semi-aniline leather has a very nice soft and plush feel to it. The NuLuxe/Sof-Tex has a soft feeling to it, and it feels much like the semi-aniline leather.

My ES350 had the semi-aniline leather for the seating surfaces, but the sides of the seats were actually NuLuxe. To be honest, I couldn't tell much difference between where the semi-aniline leather on the seating surfaces ended and the NuLuxe on the sides began.

If I had a choice between the standard leather and the NuLuxe, I would choose the NuLuxe. If my choice was between the semi-aniline leather and NuLuxe, I might choose the semi-aniline leather, but it would be a close call.

I have no idea whether the 2022 ES leather will be the standard leather or the semi-aniline leather, but previous NX Luxury vehicles just had the standard leather. So, if I was buying a 2022 NX and the leather choice was just the standard leather, I'd easily choose to take the NuLuxe, but, if the 2022 NX leather choice was semi-aniline leather, the decision as to what to choose would, for me, be a more difficult one.
Old 09-08-21, 11:21 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Use a stiff brush or toothbrush to push the stuff through the holes in the seat. You need to push it down to clean out the holes, not just drag the brush across the seat.
Appreciated so much! Back on topic!
Old 09-08-21, 02:01 PM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

lesz is right. NuLuxe actually feels a bit softer than the regular leather on the RX. Almost as soft as the upgraded semi-aniline leather from the luxury package in the RX. However, what I don't like about the Nuluxe is the somewhat sticky feeling compared to real leather. It does not breath well at all, not very pleasing during the summer when you're wearing shorts. And naturally doesn't have the leather smell. My 2yr old RXh still smells like a new car.

It's a bit puzzling how Lexus is leaving out some things on the range topping 450h+. I really really want the Mark Levinson. We'll see soon if it's a mistake on that build sheet Jake showed.
Old 09-08-21, 02:38 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

However, what I don't like about the Nuluxe is the somewhat sticky feeling compared to real leather. It does not breath well at all, not very pleasing during the summer when you're wearing shorts. And naturally doesn't have the leather smell.
I'm just finishing driving my first summer in vehicle with NuLuxe/SoftTex. Even though it has been a hot, humid summer with lots of days well into the 90s, I have not noticed any issues with it feeling "sticky".

While I hate to have to admit it, if someone showed me various Lexus model vehicles, some with leather and some with NuLuxe, I'm not confident that I could be 100% accurate in judging which had NuLuxe seating and which had some form of leather. Like I said above, with my ES350, I couldn't really feel any difference between the surfaces that had the semi-aniline leather and the ones that were NuLuxe.
Old 09-08-21, 04:56 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm just finishing driving my first summer in vehicle with NuLuxe/SoftTex. Even though it has been a hot, humid summer with lots of days well into the 90s, I have not noticed any issues with it feeling "sticky".

While I hate to have to admit it, if someone showed me various Lexus model vehicles, some with leather and some with NuLuxe, I'm not confident that I could be 100% accurate in judging which had NuLuxe seating and which had some form of leather. Like I said above, with my ES350, I couldn't really feel any difference between the surfaces that had the semi-aniline leather and the ones that were NuLuxe.
I agree with this assessment. My ES has the Luxury package, which only gets the standard leather rather than the semi-aniline included with the ultra luxury model. My RX only has the premium package, hence it is NuLuxe, like the previous NX. I have never sensed the NuLuxe felt sticky. Going between our ES and RX I just cannot honestly say there is any difference in “feel”. Now to provide some context, I live in a desert environment where the summer humidity runs from about 7% to a high of about 20% (just checked and we are at 11% right now). Perhaps a wetter environment may result in a different feel?
Old 09-08-21, 05:41 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

I agree with this assessment. My ES has the Luxury package, which only gets the standard leather rather than the semi-aniline included with the ultra luxury model. My RX only has the premium package, hence it is NuLuxe, like the previous NX. I have never sensed the NuLuxe felt sticky. Going between our ES and RX I just cannot honestly say there is any difference in “feel”. Now to provide some context, I live in a desert environment where the summer humidity runs from about 7% to a high of about 20% (just checked and we are at 11% right now). Perhaps a wetter environment may result in a different feel?
Now, so many cars have heated and ventilated seats, and I think that, with the perforated heated and ventilated seats, it is even harder to perceive a difference in "feel" between the leather seats and the NuLuxe/Sof-Tex seats.

Also, I noticed that there appears to be cutouts in the seat cushions to accommodate air flow for the heated and ventilated seats, and, with the standard leather that I had on my 2013 ES and the semi-aniline leather that I had on the 2017 ES, the leather quickly stretches out a bit into those cutouts, which can look a bit ugly. I haven't noticed any similar stretching of the SofTex in my RAV4 Hybrid.
Old 09-09-21, 03:59 AM
zebox
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am on the hunt to replace my Audi and was hoping to see the new NX last weekend. Was strongly considering an IS but it just is too snug. I also want the hatch - having had it for years I can't go back to a regular sedan.

I am trying to wrap my head around the PHEV NX. Is it charged when you drive or do you have to plug it in? Per the web PHEV's are NOT charged when driving, they are only charged when you plug them in.

The reason I am asking this is my father's neighbor has a PHEV Honda. The neighbor doesn't want to put in one of those charging stations so charges it from an extension cord. Frankly it looks very annoying and it take like 6 hours to get a full charge. Is this the same with with the NX?

Frankly based on the documentation the 0-60mph times are eh - for the NX350 they are talking 6.8 seconds.

Quick Reply: First look at the 2022 NX