NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

First look at the 2022 NX

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 09:59 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Jake posted pricing on the entire 2022 NX lineup (sans options). I am pleasantly surprised at the prices. Grabbed the screen for your convenience.

Unless one prefers the RAV4 Prime over the NX for whatever reason, the 450h+ luxury at ~$6K over a loaded RAV4 Prime is very reasonable. With the exception of the new infotainment that everyone (maybe except me) will surely love, I am pumped.

The following 5 users liked this post by andye39s:
DampDuffer (09-17-21), dklanecky1 (09-18-21), JamesAbbe (09-17-21), partytimes (09-17-21), Xanadu350 (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 10:10 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

So, if I am reading that right, there is only a little only $1k difference between Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid.

The top trims of these vehicles don't exceed $50k. However, once you start adding on options...

Still, the pricing seems excellent

Old 09-17-21, 10:20 AM
JamesAbbe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you compare 350h Luxury ($48,500) to plug-in Luxury ($55,600), that is about a $7,000 difference. Which means the federal tax ($7,500) is enough to offset the difference.. Interesting.
Old 09-17-21, 10:21 AM
JamesAbbe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
So, if I am reading that right, there is only a little only $1k difference between Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid.

The top trims of these vehicles don't exceed $50k. However, once you start adding on options...

Still, the pricing seems excellent
If you compare 350h Luxury ($48,500) to plug-in Luxury ($55,600), that is about a $7,000 difference. Which means the federal tax ($7,500) is enough to offset the difference.. Interesting.
Old 09-17-21, 10:26 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
I'm not sure what you are looking at, but what I'm seeing is an MSRP of $48,500 for the regular hybrid (Luxury package) and an MSRP of $55,560 (blacked out on the chart) for the plug-in hybrid. Unless I'm missing something, that is a difference of $7,060, which is more in line with what I would have expected. With options, the MSRP of the plug-in hybrid is likely easily to go past $60,000.
Old 09-17-21, 10:26 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesAbbe
My mistake. I was thrown off by what was hidden beneath the black marker and getting the model numbers correct. Sorry 'bout that. Yes, $7k difference but then you factor in the tax credit.
Old 09-17-21, 10:35 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JamesAbbe
I'm not an expert on the tax laws as they apply to electric powered vehicles, but, in other posts on this thread, I recall reading that, while the NX plug-in hybrid will qualify for the tax credit, it will not qualify for the full $7500 tax credit. Someone with more knowledge of the tax laws should be able to clarify.

Also, if the pricing history of the RAV4 Prime is any indication, it is likely that availability of the NX plug-in hybrid will be limited for a good while and that people who are able to get them will be paying well over MSRP. In the case of the RAV4 Prime, many were paying $10,000 or more over MSRP.
Old 09-17-21, 10:37 AM
andye39s
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm not sure what you are looking at, but what I'm seeing is an MSRP of $48,500 for the regular hybrid (Luxury package) and an MSRP of $55,560 (blacked out on the chart) for the plug-in hybrid. Unless I'm missing something, that is a difference of $7,060, which is more in line with what I would have expected. With options, the MSRP of the plug-in hybrid is likely easily to go past $60,000.
Since the 450h+ starts at the luxury package, there really aren't that many major/pricey options. Trip beam, the vision package, and smartphone convenience package (IMO this should be standard, I certainly want the smartcard key), and digital rear view mirror are pretty much it. Still disappointed no ML for the 450h+.. The prices Jake listed I assume are before shipping and handling, so I supposed a luxury is $60k with those few options which I can do without. IMO a "stripped down" 450h+ for $56K is a good deal.

I'm not an expert on the tax laws as they apply to electric powered vehicles, but, in other posts on this thread, I recall reading that, while the NX plug-in hybrid will qualify for the tax credit, it will not qualify for the full $7500 tax credit. Someone with more knowledge of the tax laws should be able to clarify.

Also, if the pricing history of the RAV4 Prime is any indication, it is likely that availability of the NX plug-in hybrid will be limited for a good while and that people who are able to get them will be paying well over MSRP. In the case of the RAV4 Prime, many were paying $10,000 or more over MSRP.
It will get the full $7500. This is how the fed EV tax credit goes: It starts at $2500 on cars with at least a 5kWh battery, then add $417 for each add'l kWh above 5kWh, with the max capped at $7500. It'll have a 18kWh battery (as with RAV4 Prime).

Wanted to add that the F Sport on the 450h+ is only $1340 over the luxury which is really cheap for the addition of the adaptive variable suspension. You are trading real leather for the NuLuxe though (not gonna get into that again, I prefer the real leather..) As well I think I prefer the 450h+ luxury wheels.

Last edited by andye39s; 09-17-21 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-17-21, 11:00 AM
partytimes
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone have an estimate price for the panoramic camera option? Are we looking at like $2000? I am thinking about NX 350 FSport Luxury and adding the camera.
Old 09-17-21, 11:03 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by andye39s
so I supposed a luxury is $60k with those few options which I can do without. IMO a "stripped down" 450h+ for $56K is a good deal.

I agree that $56,000 for a stripped down plug-in NX (or $60,000 for a loaded plug-in) is a good deal, but that conclusion is dependent on how much people are likely to have to pay for the plug-in hybrid relative to MSRP. I'm confident in guessing that people will be able to buy a regular NX hybrid (or non-hybrid) for prices close to MSRP (either a little less than MSRP or a little more than MSRP, depending on chip and other parts availability), but I suspect that people will be paying well over MSRP for the plug-in hybrid for a good while, and that is if they can even find one to buy.

It will get the full $7500. This is how the fed EV tax credit goes: It starts at $2500 on cars with at least a 5kWh battery, then add $417 for each add'l kWh above 5kWh, with the max capped at $7500. It'll have a 18kWh battery (as with RAV4 Prime).
Thanks for the information clarifying the tax situation.
Old 09-17-21, 11:35 AM
andye39s
Driver

I agree that $56,000 for a stripped down plug-in NX (or $60,000 for a loaded plug-in) is a good deal, but that conclusion is dependent on how much people are likely to have to pay for the plug-in hybrid relative to MSRP. I'm confident in guessing that people will be able to buy a regular NX hybrid (or non-hybrid) for prices close to MSRP (either a little less than MSRP or a little more than MSRP, depending on chip and other parts availability), but I suspect that people will be paying well over MSRP for the plug-in hybrid for a good while, and that is if they can even find one to buy.

Thanks for the information clarifying the tax situation.
Yeah it'll likely be another unicorn like the RAV4 Prime. I saw the second one couple weeks ago since its release, brand new with temp plate. Wonder how that guy managed..

Whether the dealers charge a premium over sticker is out of Lexus' control. I've purchased 6 cars from the same Lexus salesman, he told me they don't markup, but yeah of course that can change at any moment. When I went to see him to leave him the deposit, they were in process of shipping a LC500 convertible to a buyer in Naples FL. He told me the buyer was not willing to pay over sticker at his local FL dealership. I think it's a safe assumption someone from Naples FL can afford it lol, yet still refuses to pay which I totally admire.
Old 09-17-21, 12:44 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

I am surprised the F-sport premium is only $950 for the NX350. I wanted to stay under $50K, and at $49,950 a NX350 Luxury F-sport might just be an option for me.
The following users liked this post:
Xanadu350 (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 01:09 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Yeah it'll likely be another unicorn like the RAV4 Prime. I saw the second one couple weeks ago since its release, brand new with temp plate. Wonder how that guy managed..

Whether the dealers charge a premium over sticker is out of Lexus' control. I've purchased 6 cars from the same Lexus salesman, he told me they don't markup, but yeah of course that can change at any moment. When I went to see him to leave him the deposit, they were in process of shipping a LC500 convertible to a buyer in Naples FL. He told me the buyer was not willing to pay over sticker at his local FL dealership. I think it's a safe assumption someone from Naples FL can afford it lol, yet still refuses to pay which I totally admire.
I am not at all critical of dealers who might be selling cars for a premium over MSRP if the current supply and demand situation warrants it.

In recent weeks, I've stopped by a nearby Toyota dealer a few times. Each time, their entire inventory consisted of fewer than a dozen new vehicles, and almost all of them had already been sold and were just waiting for the buyers to pick them up. They have been taking orders for vehicles, but Toyota, because of current production limitations, has canceled many of those orders, and the dealer has had to call the people who placed orders to tell them that those orders have been canceled.

If a dealer is in the business of selling cars, it can't sell cars if it can't get them. In that case, if a car has an MSRP, say, of $50,000, and if one potential buyer is willing to pay $50,000 for that car and another is willing to pay $60,000 for the same car, I can't be critical if the dealer decides to sell the car to the customer willing to pay $60,000.

While I might not be happy to pay $60,000 for a car with an MSRP of $50,000, no one is forcing me to buy a car right now. I certainly didn't complain when Carvana paid me $5000 more for my 2017 ES than what they had offered me for the same car 2 months earlier, and I would wonder why any dealer would sell cars for prices lower than what is called for by current supply and demand conditions.
Old 09-17-21, 01:58 PM
JamesAbbe
Driver School Candidate

A few months ago, I placed a deposit to get my name on the list at my Lexus dealership, specifically for 450h+. I think the dealership is one of the biggest in NorCal.

I have a decently good relationship with the salesperson and will be shocked if he quotes above MSRP.
They can adjust the price of my trade in (2018 NX) in their favor, but marking up above MSRP, I really hope they won't do that..

One big reason I like Lexus (over Toyota) is that you kind of trust the dealership, including their service department.
I do expect they understand loyalty is important. For them a returning customer should be more important than making extra bucks on a single sale.

Maybe I'm naive, but will probably know by end of this year. If things don't work out, I will keep driving my current NX..
The following users liked this post:
DampDuffer (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 04:25 PM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am from the Florida panhandle and just today was on phone to Lexus of Mobile which is closest dealership to me. Have over the years purchased four new cars from them. When I talked about pricing of the NX and am a return customer, I indicated that I expected a discounted price. He was quick to tell me that they would not be selling under MSRP, but assured me that they would not charge more than MSRP. So, after all is said and done I ended up putting $1000 down to get on the list. The money is fully refundable if I do not buy, but shows a certain sincerity of intent.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2merc3lex:
JamesAbbe (09-17-21), Xanadu350 (09-17-21)

Quick Reply: First look at the 2022 NX