NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

First look at the 2022 NX

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 08:06 AM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
How does this compare size wise to the 2nd Gen RX330/RX350?
I can't find it now, but a few weeks ago I saw some interior dimensions for the '22 NX, and I compared them to the interior dimensions of the '04 RX (which is what I drive today) - very close, just fractionally smaller in most dimensions. Which is perfect for me, as I don't need a vehicle as large as my current RX.
Old 09-23-21, 01:40 PM
Aqus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Mark Levinson

Hi I am looking at the 450H+ noticed that the Mark Levinson won't be available on this model. I like good sound in a car so wondering since I never owned a Lexus before how good do you thing the sound will be without the Mark Levinson? I guess no subs. I have a murano bose system right now and satisfied. Will the regular Lexus system be just as good or much worst? This can be a deal breaker for me unless I go with the 350H
Old 09-24-21, 09:14 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

It appears to be available as a stand alone option, if you have the Premium or Luxury package.
The following users liked this post:
Aqus (09-27-21)
Old 09-24-21, 10:55 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Originally Posted by Aqus
Hi I am looking at the 450H+ noticed that the Mark Levinson won't be available on this model. I like good sound in a car so wondering since I never owned a Lexus before how good do you thing the sound will be without the Mark Levinson? I guess no subs. I have a murano bose system right now and satisfied. Will the regular Lexus system be just as good or much worst? This can be a deal breaker for me unless I go with the 350H
ML system is a bit overrated. I have it in my ES, not in my wife's RX. They both sound fine.
Aqus (09-27-21)
Old 09-24-21, 11:03 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
ML system is a bit overrated. I have it in my ES, not in my wife's RX. They both sound fine.
Mike,

As someone who might be getting into their first Lexus, I am very interested in you possibly expanding your opinion of the Mark Levinson system in the ES.

I am coming off of a Lincoln with a Revel system. I must say, it's an exceptional stereo system and if you crank it up, it gives a satisfying sonic experience with crisp highs and nice booming bass (if that is your thing). In other words, it's a quality stereo system that really defines what luxury audio should sound like.

I would like to think Mark Levinson would sound equally as good, if not better, but your comments that it's "overrated" and just sounds "fine" had me doing a double-take.

I realize that the ML system in the 2022 ES, while being premium, is probably not the top-shelf system found in the top Lexus vehicles.

However, you have an ES with ML and it will probably represent what the 2022 model will feature.

Does it just sound "fine" or does it have the elements of being an exceptional sound system that's worthy of a luxury brand?

Sorry to press on about this, but the stereo is one of the most important factors of the vehicle I consider. I know that's a sad priority, but I can't stand stock radio systems.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-24-21, 11:13 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Mike,

As someone who might be getting into their first Lexus, I am very interested in you possibly expanding your opinion of the Mark Levinson system in the ES.

I am coming off of a Lincoln with a Revel system. I must say, it's an exceptional stereo system and if you crank it up, it gives a satisfying sonic experience with crisp highs and nice booming bass (if that is your thing). In other words, it's a quality stereo system that really defines what luxury audio should sound like.

I would like to think Mark Levinson would sound equally as good, if not better, but your comments that it's "overrated" and just sounds "fine" had me doing a double-take.

I realize that the ML system in the 2022 ES, while being premium, is probably not the top-shelf system found in the top Lexus vehicles.

However, you have an ES with ML and it will probably represent what the 2022 model will feature.

Does it just sound "fine" or does it have the elements of being an exceptional sound system that's worthy of a luxury brand?

Sorry to press on about this, but the stereo is one of the most important factors of the vehicle I consider. I know that's a sad priority, but I can't stand stock radio systems.

Thanks in advance
It's far from exceptional and plenty of threads in the ES forum on this - many folks hate it in fact because it is front biased - minimal sound comes from the rear. Also weak on bass if you care about that. Overall it sounds fine to me - I listen primarily to XM and believe it or not sometimes CDs - one thing about the ML is it uncovers distortion in MP3 files and that sounds horrific at times. I listen to the same flash drive in my wife's RX base system and it sounds great.
Old 09-24-21, 11:19 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
It's far from exceptional and plenty of threads in the ES forum on this - many folks hate it in fact because it is front biased - minimal sound comes from the rear. Also weak on bass if you care about that. Overall it sounds fine to me - I listen primarily to XM and believe it or not sometimes CDs - one thing about the ML is it uncovers distortion in MP3 files and that sounds horrific at times. I listen to the same flash drive in my wife's RX base system and it sounds great.
Mike,

Thank you for this.

I am going to have to do a search for Mark Levinson threads in this forum. I didn't initially see any and I'm happy to hear they exist so I can read more first-hand experiences.

I must say, I'm really saddened to learn that ML isn't as impressive as I had hoped.

I am shopping for either the 2022 NX or the 2022 Genesis GV70 Sports Prestige. The latter has a Lexicon system that is supposed to be first-rate. Of course, the Genesis is a gas guzzler that gets 21MPG and that's something I have to consider in my final choice.

The fact that the NX may have a lackluster stereo system and much less tech is not helping me steer towards it. The Lexus brand reputation, resell value, and MPG is.

Thanks again!!!
Old 09-24-21, 11:48 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Mike,

Thank you for this.

I am going to have to do a search for Mark Levinson threads in this forum. I didn't initially see any and I'm happy to hear they exist so I can read more first-hand experiences.

I must say, I'm really saddened to learn that ML isn't as impressive as I had hoped.

I am shopping for either the 2022 NX or the 2022 Genesis GV70 Sports Prestige. The latter has a Lexicon system that is supposed to be first-rate. Of course, the Genesis is a gas guzzler that gets 21MPG and that's something I have to consider in my final choice.

The fact that the NX may have a lackluster stereo system and much less tech is not helping me steer towards it. The Lexus brand reputation, resell value, and MPG is.

Thanks again!!!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...nd-system.html

Try this thread for starters.
Aqus (09-27-21)
Old 09-24-21, 01:33 PM
erigion
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sound quality is definitely a subjective thing. There's no way to know if you'll like the sound quality in the NX without actually sitting in it and listening

Heres SG's tests on the ML system in the 2020 ESh which he thinks is a very good system and worth the upgrade:
Old 09-24-21, 11:19 PM
Frogs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if anyone here has seen the 2022 Toyota Tundra launch but it has the same (similar) 14 inch style infotainment screen. Though the Tundra doesn’t lose the bottom inch to inch and a half of the screen for the air conditioning settings. Those settings look as though they never leave or disappear. I’d like to be able to see 100% of the large screen and when I want to make a changes to AC then it can come back. Maybe a future update? But it seems like a bit of a wasted real estate for something I don’t make a ton of changes to.

edit: I realize the Tundra has physical AC buttons but most the time I set and forget. Idk I could be alone in this feeling.

Last edited by Frogs; 09-24-21 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-25-21, 06:01 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

The AC controls on the Lexus interface can be hidden away on the screen. They are on by default but you can maximize the screen and they will be hidden. I’ve seen it on various videos on the 2022 NX.
Old 09-25-21, 07:50 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Mike,

Thank you for this.

Thanks again!!!
Sound quality is the most subjective thing. What might sound bad to one might sound great to another. You also can't compare the ML system from another model. I've owned 2 Lexus' (Lexi?) with ML, a 98 GS400 and 06 RX400h. I was most impressed with the GS400, and less so on the 06 RX. My current 19 RXh has just the standard system which sounds pretty good for a stock system, but the ML in the 06 RXh definitely sounded better. I definitely would've picked a car with the ML but there were none on the dealer lot.

I have not sampled a current gen RX with ML in person, but I have seen videos of it with binaural audio. Just from that I could tell that the ML has a much punchier sound than my car with the standard system. If I did sample it in person, I probably won't be very happy with my standard sound system after.
Aqus (09-27-21)
Old 09-25-21, 08:13 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by andye39s
Sound quality is the most subjective thing. What might sound bad to one might sound great to another. You also can't compare the ML system from another model. I've owned 2 Lexus' (Lexi?) with ML, a 98 GS400 and 06 RX400h. I was most impressed with the GS400, and less so on the 06 RX. My current 19 RXh has just the standard system which sounds pretty good for a stock system, but the ML in the 06 RXh definitely sounded better. I definitely would've picked a car with the ML but there were none on the dealer lot.

I have not sampled a current gen RX with ML in person, but I have seen videos of it with binaural audio. Just from that I could tell that the ML has a much punchier sound than my car with the standard system. If I did sample it in person, I probably won't be very happy with my standard sound system after.

Absolutely true, sound quality is a subjective thing.

You point out the potential problem with the ML system in general -- it's not consistent across vehicles. I don't think the ML system going into the 2022 NX is going to be as good as the more expensive Lexus models. It will be a premium system but I think it will fall short of being the very best.

Now that it has been pointed out to me, I have been reading a lot of disturbing complaints about ML performance in the less expensive vehicles.

Nobody knows how good ML will be in the 2022 vehicle -- yet. Anybody like myself who places a priority on the stereo system is going to have to go to the dealership with some demo material on a flash drive and be allowed to sit in the vehicle ALONE for a good 15 minutes sampling tracks. That is what I intend to do.
Aqus (09-27-21)
Old 09-25-21, 10:41 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Anybody like myself who places a priority on the stereo system is going to have to go to the dealership with some demo material on a flash drive and be allowed to sit in the vehicle ALONE for a good 15 minutes sampling tracks. That is what I intend to do.
For those of us with old ears that now have a difficult time hearing distinctive voices when in a crowd, I believe the only way to determine a sound system is right for me is to listen to the flash drive while driving at 60-70 mph and determining the effect of the road noise on the sound.

In my 2017 NX, and depending upon the road surface, I have to listen to tracks through my Bluetooth connected AirPod Pros when doing highway driving.

Yes, I have the ML system on my wish list for the 2022 NX, but I am concerned that for some of us it might be a waste of money.
Aqus (09-27-21)
Old 09-25-21, 04:06 PM
Frogs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
The AC controls on the Lexus interface can be hidden away on the screen. They are on by default but you can maximize the screen and they will be hidden. I’ve seen it on various videos on the 2022 NX.
I have seen the top tier with the seat controls on it but the lower one I haven’t seen disappear. Seems like it is permanent.

Quick Reply: First look at the 2022 NX