How do you like your NX? Looking to buy upcoming 2022 models

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 05:06 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default How do you like your NX? Looking to buy upcoming 2022 models

Hello everyone!

Currently leasing a 2019 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.

Looking to move away from leasing and purchase a loaded luxury vehicle.

My first inclination would be to move to a Lincoln Corsair, but this newly announced 2022 NX looks fantastic and it's going to be much cheaper.

So, never having owned a Lexus vehicle before, I am wondering how much current owners like/love/hate their NX.

How is the Mark Levinson stereo system? The Revel system in my Lincoln is just unbelievable, and as an audiophile, I am looking for the same WOW factor from my music.

Of course, the bigger question is reliability, handling, and how well the vehicle will hold up for 10-12 years of ownership.

Considering either the HYBRID or the HYBRID PLUG-IN, both in top trims.

Look forward to hearing your comments
Old 08-15-21, 10:16 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

2015 NX200t, owned since new.

No ML stereo, so can't comment there. Based on YouTube reviews I've watched, the current benchmark might be Acura's ELS. I could be wrong though.

Reliablity - Fantastic. If anything goes wrong with it, it's almost always a result of human error or my own doing/tinkering. The engine has ran on a tune since 2018 and still runs very well. There's pronounced injector (?) ticking on cold starts, but this seems to be normal among modern VVT/DI vehicles. I've been waiting for the turbo to die (to justify an upgrade) but it just wouldn't.

Handling - I've done some work to make mine handle better, but the NX definitely wasn't the best handling vehicle out of the dealership. BUT do note that the current NX rides on the MC platform, while the 2022 model is built on the newer TNGA platform. The upcoming NX should handle a lot better than before.

Might I add that our Corolla Cross, riding on 18" wheels and also built on the TNGA platform, soaks bumps up as well as our GLS350d on 21" and Airmatic. From this, I expect ride comfort of the new NX to improve by a huge margin over the outgoing one.

Without giving up the 2015, I'm also interested in the NX350h when it arrives in our country. Until then, I can only look forward to watching YouTube reviews about it - hopefully soon!
Old 08-16-21, 12:52 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

2015 Lexus NX200t
Problems from most recent (120 000kms currently)

*rear main engine seal failed causing oil leak
-repaired under good will, 10 days at dealer

*left catalytic converter worked loose causing rattle at start up
-repaired under good will, bolts torqued to-spec

*stalling at start up in very cold weather. Fuel pump replaced (covered under recall)

*passenger side door lock actuator failed
- this required 2 lengthy visits to the dealer as kept triggering nonspecific alarm as lock would partially engage for months before it completely failed. $700 aus

*Moonroof motor failed
-covered under warranty

*Loss of boost under high load and at one point triggered limp mode
-replacement of turbo exhaust valve and associated plumbing (warranty repair with TSB)

*Factory battery failed; replaced under warranty

Currently, moonroof requires new seal as started to clunk over bumps (common problem with tilt and slide Lexus moonroofs and have had it fixed on all my Lexus models)

With all the problems I’ve experienced my dealer has been great and always provided a replacement car. Build a relationship with the dealer and they will give up a body organ to keep you happy.

The following users liked this post:
GrizzlyMan (09-13-21)
Old 08-16-21, 03:42 AM
stbiss
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My wife's 2017 NX has been solid - no issues whatsoever after 43k miles - excellent fit and finish. She loves it and that is what matters - I am personally not an SUV person, but it can be fun to drive sometimes. For an SUV, it handles much better than others I have driven, but I am also used to driving a Lexus IS, so all SUV's are going to feel less capable in the handling department. It gets decent mileage - about 25 in the city and as much as 36 on the highway - runs pretty smooth on long trips. My only complaint is the engine coarseness - it can be a little buzzy compared to the V6 in my IS.
Old 08-16-21, 09:04 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Hello everyone!

My first inclination would be to move to a Lincoln Corsair, but this newly announced 2022 NX looks fantastic and it's going to be much cheaper.

So, never having owned a Lexus vehicle before, I am wondering how much current owners like/love/hate their NX.

How is the Mark Levinson stereo system? The Revel system in my Lincoln is just unbelievable, and as an audiophile, I am looking for the same WOW factor from my music.

Of course, the bigger question is reliability, handling, and how well the vehicle will hold up for 10-12 years of ownership.

I’m on my 2nd NX hybrid which is a 2020. I love the features on the 2022 and might order one.
Old 08-16-21, 10:44 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Wife loves her 2015NX. Offered to buy her a 2022NX, but she said no, since our 2015 has had no problems through the years with 50,000 plus miles. Might get a 2022 anyway, but it better be a good upgrade from what they sell now! This is her 4th Lexus SUV, with no problems with any of them. Now why do I keep buying extended warranty's?
Old 08-17-21, 04:04 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,156 Likes on 747 Posts

Not only has J D Power ranked Lexus #1 in dependability 9 out of the last 10 years being second the other year and Consumer Reports also ranking Lexus #1 in reliability but they just rated the NX as the most reliable SUV. Lexus is also #1 in lowest depreciation, highest customer satisfaction, lowest maintenance cost over ten years of all the luxury brands and highest customer loyalty.

Last edited by Freds430; 08-17-21 at 04:07 AM.
Vitveet (08-17-21)
Old 08-18-21, 09:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Hello everyone!

Had a Lincoln 20 years ago, so I could not comment on today's Lincoln but I like the current Lincoln styling and quality. Mark Levinson in Lexus' lower trims are just average, the top of the line Mark Levinson reference system in the LS sounds much better, Handling on the NX is average, not sure about the new one but I always thought that the NX should handle better for its stiff ride. As far as reliability, all new cars have improved in reliability in general, In the old days, I would buy Lexus or Toyota for its reliability but now a days, a Hyundai's reliability is very close to Toyota's. When it comes down to it, its mostly pot luck on rather you bought a reliable car or not. If you plan to keep your cars for 12 years, stay away from turbo charged engines and hybrids.
Old 08-18-21, 10:06 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Had a Lincoln 20 years ago, so I could not comment on today's Lincoln but I like the current Lincoln styling and quality. Mark Levinson in Lexus' lower trims are just average, the top of the line Mark Levinson reference system in the LS sounds much better, Handling on the NX is average, not sure about the new one but I always thought that the NX should handle better for its stiff ride. As far as reliability, all new cars have improved in reliability in general, In the old days, I would buy Lexus or Toyota for its reliability but now a days, a Hyundai's reliability is very close to Toyota's. When it comes down to it, its mostly pot luck on rather you bought a reliable car or not. If you plan to keep your cars for 12 years, stay away from turbo charged engines and hybrids.

Thank you for that opinion. Do you think the 17 Mark Levinson speaker system in the 2022 NX will be the lower end?

EDIT: Never Mind, just saw that the LS has a 23 speaker immersive Mark Levinson speaker so I answered my own question.

I do know that the hybrid batteries are rated for 10 years so holding on for 12 may be an issue and I might have to look at a gas NX.

Last edited by NJRonbo; 08-18-21 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-19-21, 08:15 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

I do know that the hybrid batteries are rated for 10 years so holding on for 12 may be an issue and I might have to look at a gas NX.
I'm not sure what they are "rated" for but I know people with 15 or more years with hybrids that have had no battery issues. I think you may be confusing the fact that the "factory warranty" is 10 years. My guess is that if the manufacturer is going to guarantee it for 10 years, then you can expect much more than 10 years out of it or the manufacturer wouldn't warrantee it right up to its expected "rated" age.

I would add that as Turbos and hybrids have become so commonplace, the cost for replacement parts has come way down. I wouldn't read into this that the battery is going to be a problem because it ONLY has a 10 year factory warranty. What is the warranty on the other components in the car?
GrizzlyMan (09-13-21)
Old 08-19-21, 08:45 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by TechNut
I'm not sure what they are "rated" for but I know people with 15 or more years with hybrids that have had no battery issues. I think you may be confusing the fact that the "factory warranty" is 10 years. My guess is that if the manufacturer is going to guarantee it for 10 years, then you can expect much more than 10 years out of it or the manufacturer wouldn't warrantee it right up to its expected "rated" age.

I would add that as Turbos and hybrids have become so commonplace, the cost for replacement parts has come way down. I wouldn't read into this that the battery is going to be a problem because it ONLY has a 10 year factory warranty. What is the warranty on the other components in the car?
TechNut,

You are probably right. I may have been looking at the actual warranty.

However, I did read another member here warning about purchasing a Turbo or Hybrid engine if planning on keeping a vehicle long-term (over 10 years). I think I also watched one of Scotty’s videos on Hybrid and Hybrid Plug-In vehicles where he was talking about a 10-year lifespan on those batteries and it could even be less if they are not charged correctly.

And, again, I don’t know if there is considerable depreciation for the battery usage when it comes time to trading in the vehicle in 10-12 years time.

I am kind of sitting here trying to gauge the mindset of other Hybrid owners. I have a big purchase decision coming up within the next 7 months and I’d really like to get into a PHEV but also want to be assured that it’s going to last.

Old 08-19-21, 12:54 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

TechNut,

However, I did read another member here warning about purchasing a Turbo or Hybrid engine if planning on keeping a vehicle long-term (over 10 years). I think I also watched one of Scotty’s videos on Hybrid and Hybrid Plug-In vehicles where he was talking about a 10-year lifespan on those batteries and it could even be less if they are not charged correctly.

And, again, I don’t know if there is considerable depreciation for the battery usage when it comes time to trading in the vehicle in 10-12 years time.

I am kind of sitting here trying to gauge the mindset of other Hybrid owners. I have a big purchase decision coming up within the next 7 months and I’d really like to get into a PHEV but also want to be assured that it’s going to last.
Turbo and hybrid add complexity but they both have improved in reliability in recent years. The hybrid batteries’ warranty is 10 years but some hybrid owners got much longer life out of their batteries with diminish fuel efficiency. The gas mileage will start to decrease as the battery age. In fact, the value for a 12 year old hybrid is no higher than a gas engine model, the initial premium one pays for the hybrid when new usually can not be recovered on resale.
Old 08-19-21, 01:19 PM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Turbo and hybrid add complexity but they both have improved in reliability in recent years. The hybrid batteries’ warranty is 10 years but some hybrid owners got much longer life out of their batteries with diminish fuel efficiency. The gas mileage will start to decrease as the battery age. In fact, the value for a 12 year old hybrid is no higher than a gas engine model, the initial premium one pays for the hybrid when new usually can not be recovered on resale.
Thanks G Man!

So, if I understand what you said correctly, I will pay a premium on a Hybrid (which I expect), but by the time I trade it in the only value I will have lost is the initial premium I paid and that the trade-in will be equal to if I bought a gas vehicle.

If that is correct, I certainly feel better about investing in a Hybrid or Plug-In Hybrid.
Old 08-19-21, 04:43 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks G Man!

So, if I understand what you said correctly, I will pay a premium on a Hybrid (which I expect), but by the time I trade it in the only value I will have lost is the initial premium I paid and that the trade-in will be equal to if I bought a gas vehicle.

If that is correct, I certainly feel better about investing in a Hybrid or Plug-In Hybrid.
Not too many people want a 12 year old Hybrid on its first set of batteries, trade in value will be similar or very close to an equivalent gas model but after 12 years, not too many options retain their value too well. Lexus recently switch from nickel-metal hydride to lithium-ion batteries which is good news for 2022 NX hybrid buyers.
The following 2 users liked this post by The G Man:
GrizzlyMan (09-13-21), NJRonbo (08-20-21)
Old 04-15-22, 12:14 PM
rt1902
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TechNut,

check out this video. Talks about toyota/lexus hybrids