NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Comparing 2022 NX to Genesis GV

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 04:26 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,134 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by krs1chee
After my test drive if the GV70 and GV80, the Hyundai dealership experience was the clincher for why I wouldn’t be buying a Genesis product in the next 5 years. It reminds me of past girlfriends I’ve dated where I kept waiting for them to achieve their full potential—sometimes worth the wait, usually not.
You are not alone.

Old 10-07-21, 02:50 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The first videos of the 2022 Lexus NX are now live

My overall thought from those videos is that the NX has a nice ride, handles well, and is everything you would expect from Lexus including reliability.

It's just not an exciting vehicle when you compare it to the GV70. Compare the video reviews and everyone RAVES about the GV70. There are no "gasps" to be had with the NX.

It seems that the hardest decision to make between the two brands is if you want an exciting, high-tech, and ultra-luxury vehicle that's an expensive premium fuel gas guzzler (GV70) vs. a more scaled-down luxury vehicle with better gas mileage (NX).

I also would think that Lexus will be more reliable overall, with less depreciation and better servicing options.

The following users liked this post:
Pillarbox (10-09-22)
Old 10-07-21, 01:48 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Got to check out a GV70 3.5 today, sticker at 65k. Seemed solid and a nice interior but a lot of the piano black on the dash, like it would be full of prints in no time. The front was quite roomy, but after setting the drivers seat, there was no way I could sit behind myself. Also, with the sloping rear, didn't seem like much room in back-way less than the current NX from what I could see. Seemed more like a cross between an SUV & hatchback. If someone was interested in this for the cargo capacity, I believe they would be sorely disappointed. Did not drive it as there was no one around when I was looking, which was fine with me. My last experience at the local Genesis dealer wasn't exactly great.
Old 10-08-21, 10:08 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Seems like Motortrend prefers the driving experience of the GV70

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...BE5ECBA42FE4E8
Old 10-08-21, 02:51 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MT first drive was on the NX 350h (hybrid...) so the GV70 (2.5T and 3.5T) should handle better and be more engaging. Being on a RWD platform also helps. Of course, most NX owners are not looking for superior handling attributes, especially when considering the hybrid version. With that said, the GV70 should be more "fun to drive" than the NX 350 F-Sport too. Both are good options in this segment, but you need to figure out what you value more overall.
Old 10-08-21, 03:43 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

The navigation screen on the GV70 is too weird looking. The dimensions are strange, it’s too wide and the height is too short. It reminds me of watching a widescreen movie on a 4:3 box tv. I also don’t like the cockpit area and the rear seat is pretty much useless unless for a small child or baby.
Old 10-08-21, 09:28 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, things happen quickly sometimes. I've been cross shopping the new NX with the GV70. My local dealer got the car below in yesterday. I test drove over my lunch break today and struck a deal. The heart wants what the heart wants. I pick it up tomorrow.

The following 3 users liked this post by Zeus69:
andye39s (10-09-21), dklanecky1 (10-09-21), nicedude (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 07:41 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Well, things happen quickly sometimes. I've been cross shopping the new NX with the GV70. My local dealer got the car below in yesterday. I test drove over my lunch break today and struck a deal. The heart wants what the heart wants. I pick it up tomorrow.

That is a great looking car. The GV80 looks like a Bentley, and this looks like a smaller Bentley, inside and out. Just IMO, but would look even better without the "dimples" on the wheels. Mind sharing what the deal was?
Old 10-09-21, 09:37 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Congrats on your new vehicle!

You are most correct when you say the heart wants what the heart wants

I know we are in a Lexus forum and have been allowed to have this discussion here among its brand enthusiasts.

As much as I would love to save gas and having to use premium fuel by buying a Lexus Hybrid or Plug-in, you can't dismiss how beautiful and superior that Genesis GV70 vehicle is.

And, when you load up and price a Lexus 450h+ and it creeps into the $60k territory, you sit and wonder why you would buy it over the top trim GV70 outside of the fuel consumption costs.

I am envious of your purchase. I have 6 months left on my lease and counting it down till I can get into a GV70 or NX. At this point, I am leaning towards the GV70.
Zeus69 (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 12:30 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you can really directly compare the NX 450h+ with the GV70 3.5T. The price might be similar but obviously aimed at different customers. Not sure about NJ, but here in CA, you can also potentially get a 450h+ for 350h (Premium to Luxury trims) price after subsidies.

A $60K GV70 is also X3 M40i money, a much comparable competitor and it will be tough to not pick the X3 if you really care about overall performance and handling. You should also consider a Macan if you really want to pay to play. Since you are leasing already, you should lease German next time.
Old 10-09-21, 12:49 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by andye39s
That is a great looking car. The GV80 looks like a Bentley, and this looks like a smaller Bentley, inside and out. Just IMO, but would look even better without the "dimples" on the wheels. Mind sharing what the deal was?
Since I get tax advantages through my business, I typically lease. I did three-year/12K miles per year. The sales price was at MSRP for $64,875. There was no budging off this price, and some internal connections likely kept that in my favor. I called the dealership 100 miles away in Chicago that had the exact same vehicle (except for ultramarine blue interior) and they wanted 5K over list.

I turned in an Audi SQ5 which still had five months left on lease but the market for the condition/low miles of my vehicle was particularly robust. I rolled in some positive equity. The residual value was 57% and the money factor was 0.0014 (3.35% APR).

I drove it from the dealership this morning and have been immersed in figuring out all the technology. Big smile on my face all day!
Old 10-09-21, 06:59 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

That is a spectacular looking vehicle. I think you made the right choice. As a Lexus fan, I am really trying to like the new NX. Never driving, let alone owning, a Genesis or Hyundai model, I keep fighting a desire to take a G70 or GV70 for a test drive.

My pals over at Macan forum are really debating the GV70. That it’s getting so much attention there speaks to how far a jump the Genesis brand has made. 4 years ago, I would not have believed that buyers would be deciding between a Genesis, BMW 6 cylinder and Porsche.

Congrats on the new ride and keep us posted on how you like it!
Old 10-10-21, 07:40 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Not wanting to turn this into a "get a GV70" subthread, but review below echos my experience so far.
I'm happy to feed back more personal experience about the car once I've lived with it for awhile.
Could also stick to PM if mods feel topic drifting out of bounds...

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/expert-...sis&model=GV70
Old 10-10-21, 09:15 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I remember i brought in "Scott Kilmer" the 53 years experienced mechanic from the States into this forum now lemme introduce the new Canadian couple that doing very honest car review "Zack and Andrea" the best comparison video on Youtube check it out !
"My point of views"
1. (Reputation) Lexus Toyota is a brand that has much reputation since the 90s, Hyundai Kia will never catch up, now they are making Genesis, here i am talking about WORLDWIDE Reputation not just North America. You'll see Police driving Ford or Chevy in N. America or BMW Mercedes in Europe but in my country Vietnam and most other countries Police drives Toyota Corolla, my country Vietnam Government official ride Black Land Cruiser and Highlander like Federal Agents in US ride Black Lincoln Cadillac.

2. (Technology) Back in the 90s there wasn't much Techs people mostly worried about mechanical components especially "Engine and Transmission" and then "HorsePower" cars back in the days are expensive,You guys gotta understand that Lexus Toyota is the Brand that focusing on "RELIABLE" they're making sure they'll make a car that last longer than other car ! I truly agreed Lexus Techs are a little bit slower than others but will LAST LONGER that's my point here, as i know people do not care about Trans and Engine anymore the fact that most reputation brands like BMW Mercedes Lexus Audi etc. Trans and Engine don't break down unless "Lisa and Tom" don't change the Engine Oil & Trans fluid" after that they go on forum and shout it out loud BMW Mercedes Lexus Audi Engine sucks.

3. (Horse Power & Handling) Unlike BMW, Lexus don't focus on Power or Autobahn super handling like BMW, we're in North America and most Asian country rarely pass 200k/kph or 180k/mph, if someone wants HP they'll go buy a Toyota Supra spend 100k $USD and make 1000HP and then they'll Race with a Lamborghini and Ferrari, There are Mature/old people old Racers old Car guys driving Lexus, we are not teenagers anymore aren't we ? i have seen many young people complaint about Lexus NAV slow (old people don't go fast lol) Lack of Technology (old people don't use/like high techs lol) Outdated interior ( old people liked Classic lol ).

( My perspective) Lexus is a worldwide reputation, a reliable, a comfort, a classical, Luxury car not a race or a track car ! you want more power ? lemme introduce you the Lexus ISF 500 RCF 500, Toyota Supra GR. don't be like Sam from Nürburgring go on Lexus forum and complaining about Lexus Handlings don't be like Tom from Autobahn complaining Lexus is a slow car, don't be like Lisa from Tesla complaining Lexus is lack of Techs, i've read and watched a lot of car review around the world from different person, i have heard a lot of complaint of Lexus Tech is slow, Auto Transmission is not dual-clutch and people mainly focus on Fuel MPG, to me i think Lexus should focus on errors and issues that affects Reliability and make better customer service to serve to help the customers not to Defend Lexus mistaken and problems.

Last edited by Solara350; 10-10-21 at 09:18 AM.
IS350USB (10-14-21)
Old 10-10-21, 02:47 PM
NJRonbo
Driver

Not wanting to turn this into a "get a GV70" subthread, but review below echos my experience so far.
I'm happy to feed back more personal experience about the car once I've lived with it for awhile.
Could also stick to PM if mods feel topic drifting out of bounds...

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/expert-...sis&model=GV70
No problem with that. The purpose of this thread was to tout the GV70 and debate whether it's a better choice over the NX.
Zeus69 (10-10-21)

Quick Reply: Comparing 2022 NX to Genesis GV