NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Comparing 2022 NX to Genesis GV

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-21, 10:55 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

-I should have clarified Toyota or Lexus hybrids for resale. All used cars are up 31% yr over yr. If you are having trouble selling one must be the area you live in. My dealer wanted to buy back our 2012 CT200h F-Sport Special Edition w/60k. Not even on a trade-in just after I got an alignment done. A sales manager or business manager asked me he said people are paying a premium for the hybrids. That and they had low inventory. I'm just not ready to get a new one until the ridiculousness stops with overcharging. 2-5k over MSRP. My 2015 NX200t F-Sport is in better than mint condition and has only 8800 miles on it. I only drive it on trips or long distances otherwise I'm driving my 2002 Tundra.

Last edited by Tom59; 12-27-21 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-27-21, 06:16 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Used Tellurides are being sold for over their original sticker price. It’s too big for our needs, but that one is a home run and I think it’s resale will be quite high.

The GV70 seems similarly impressive.
Old 12-28-21, 10:35 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

To those considering the GV70, be advised they are having issues with the transfer case and some are crapping out with very few miles on the clock. Genesis has admitted a design flaw and is now in the process of revising the part.
The following users liked this post:
bjjones (01-01-22)
Old 01-09-22, 10:47 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

After taking a drive of the NX 350h and GV70 2.5T, I can say.. the GV70 is superior in almost every way. I was initially leaning 70/30 toward the NX 350h before the GV70 test drive, I was not expecting much.. and I did it to eliminate it off my list... It was a pleasant surprise... and I will be doing another more test drive of the 350h again...

Here is the key thing I noticed.. buying the 350h you are paying about $10,000 CDN (about $8,000 USD) for the Lexus nameplate, long-term reliability, and reseller value for a similar featured 350h... it's hard for me to get over this right now.

I plan to keep the GV70/350h car for about 10 years but don't expect to drive more than 80K km (50K miles) during its lifetime because I have multiple vehicles, my 2012 ISF is my preferred car during the spring/summer.

The only major issue I have with the GV70 is the unknown long-term reliability (e.g. transfer case). Currently, I am leaning 60/40 toward the GV70 2.5 T.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by jadeboy; 01-09-22 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-09-22, 01:33 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I don’t see all the fascination with the GV70. The multimedia screen is stuck in extra wide screen mode missing height. The steering wheel is too thin and hub is too big. The console area a/c layout looks dated with drastic styling that’s doesn't look good in my opinion. The whole interior looks like I stepped into my grandfathers old Buick.

It’s a shame because the outside of the vehicle is attractive looking for a utility.
corinvest (01-09-22)
Old 01-09-22, 01:46 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
After taking a drive of the NX 350h and GV70 2.5T, I can say.. the GV70 is superior in almost every way. I was initially leaning 70/30 toward the NX 350h before the GV70 test drive, I was not expecting much.. and I did it to eliminate it off my list... It was a pleasant surprise... and I will be doing another more test drive of the 350h again...

Here is the key thing I noticed.. buying the 350h you are paying about $10,000 CDN (about $8,000 USD) for the Lexus nameplate, long-term reliability, and reseller value for a similar featured 350h... it's hard for me to get over this right now.

I plan to keep the GV70/350h car for about 10 years but don't expect to drive more than 80K km (50K miles) during its lifetime because I have multiple vehicles, my 2012 ISF is my preferred car during the spring/summer.

The only major issue I have with the GV70 is the unknown long-term reliability (e.g. transfer case). Currently, I am leaning 60/40 toward the GV70 2.5 T.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Awful dealer network and experience from what I've read. Nice car if you can get by that. Also read about issues with the hood vibrating at high speeds 70 mph+
corinvest (01-09-22)
Old 01-10-22, 09:41 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Awful dealer network and experience from what I've read. Nice car if you can get by that. Also read about issues with the hood vibrating at high speeds 70 mph+
Lexus provides an excellent dealership experience - I feel like a million-dollar.. but it's also an expensive experience.. but generally... I don't care because I would prefer not to go to the dealership. The Genesis also provides free 5 years of maintenance at Home Service (they come to get the car and deal with it)... so I don't even have to go to the dealership probably save $1500 - $2000 over 5 years.. which I would have to add to the Lexus.

I read about the hood vibrating.. it seems limited to a few owners right now... I care about powertrain issues the most... because those are expensive to fix/repair and I wouldn't be trying to fix those things myself.

I would buy the NX350h if the price was $10K CDN lower.. the GV70 just has a lot of useful and excellent features at a lower price and that I would use (e.g HUD, Upgrade Audio, Surround View).. adding these features to NX350+ requires the top Executive Package which is $10K above the Luxury package in Canada. I can live with the NX350h a more boring look, less driving dynamic, and performance.

I would buy 2023 (all new purchases are now 2023 instead of 2022) GV70 if it had Long-term reliability, don't really care about the nameplate.. the resell value is a consideration but not a primary. I hate driving a car and fearing that something is going to break and cost thousands to fix.. this experienced stress has me skipping all the European cars - they are a money pit after the warranty expired.

Last edited by jadeboy; 01-10-22 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-10-22, 12:09 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

In my 2017 NX200t hood vibrates at high speed. So what? I used to worry about it but stopped long time ago. It does not bother me.
Old 01-10-22, 05:53 PM
powerlover
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I don’t see all the fascination with the GV70. The multimedia screen is stuck in extra wide screen mode missing height. The steering wheel is too thin and hub is too big. The console area a/c layout looks dated with drastic styling that’s doesn't look good in my opinion. The whole interior looks like I stepped into my grandfathers old Buick.

It’s a shame because the outside of the vehicle is attractive looking for a utility.
Totally agree with you. I had multiple test drives of GV70 3.5T Sport Prestige and NX 350 F Sport Luxury still feels more luxurious and comfortable inside. Steering wheel feel is way better in Lexus. Yes, it does not have 375HP and does not go 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, but it does feel better in every single way, including price that is almost $10K less than GV70.
I would personally give Genesis few more years to mature.
Old 01-10-22, 05:56 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

As a Lexus owner and fan, I hoped the new NX would be a solid improvement over the mediocre first gen. It’s better but still seems behind the RDX, let alone the GV70 which is a home run.
I wouldn’t pick a car based on how I’m treated twice a year when taking it for service. Literally a couple threads below this is a new NX owner complaining of a vibrating outside mirror, and a NHTSA investigation into the RAV4 for similar concerns. Overall I think both will be fairly reliable and get you the ownership duration and mileage for your use case.
I like the fuel efficient options on the NX, but otherwise can’t rationalize spending the same money as the Genesis. If the Genesis is that much cheaper than the Lexus in Canada, it’s a no brainer to me since you liked how it drove. I have yet to drive either so my thoughts are from the specs and reviews I’ve seen.
Good luck with your shopping.
Old 01-10-22, 06:21 PM
chumpchang
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
As a Lexus owner and fan, I hoped the new NX would be a solid improvement over the mediocre first gen. It’s better but still seems behind the RDX, let alone the GV70 which is a home run.
I wouldn’t pick a car based on how I’m treated twice a year when taking it for service. Literally a couple threads below this is a new NX owner complaining of a vibrating outside mirror, and a NHTSA investigation into the RAV4 for similar concerns. Overall I think both will be fairly reliable and get you the ownership duration and mileage for your use case.
I like the fuel efficient options on the NX, but otherwise can’t rationalize spending the same money as the Genesis. If the Genesis is that much cheaper than the Lexus in Canada, it’s a no brainer to me since you liked how it drove. I have yet to drive either so my thoughts are from the specs and reviews I’ve seen.
Good luck with your shopping.
In what way is the NX behind the RDX? Driving performance dynamics may favor the RDX, but are you really getting a Lexus NX to thrash around in?
Old 01-11-22, 12:23 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
In my 2017 NX200t hood vibrates at high speed. So what? I used to worry about it but stopped long time ago. It does not bother me.
Agreed. The metal on new cars is thinner than ever and the hood is a huge sail. The 3rd Gen RX forum had discussions about vibrating hoods at higher speeds, and my 2013 shook. I didn’t really notice it on my NX but I wouldn’t be surprised if it vibrated. I haven’t looked that closely on my 2021 RX and haven’t spent much time at high speeds anyway. Large panels vibrating in the winds created by high speeds would seem pretty normal in this day and age.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 01-11-22 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-11-22, 04:52 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chumpchang
In what way is the NX behind the RDX? Driving performance dynamics may favor the RDX, but are you really getting a Lexus NX to thrash around in?
The RDX is more spacious, less expensive and better equipped. An RDX Advance is over $5,000 less than a comparably equipped NX. It also does have been dynamics, and I prefer the interior and exterior styling.
The NX again does better with fuel economy and the transmission in the RDX is quite busy.
Old 01-11-22, 05:15 PM
VomieroEmu
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
The RDX is more spacious, less expensive and better equipped. An RDX Advance is over $5,000 less than a comparably equipped NX. It also does have been dynamics, and I prefer the interior and exterior styling.
The NX again does better with fuel economy and the transmission in the RDX is quite busy.
A similarly, but still less equipped RDX costs more than an NX. There’s literally no trim/version of RDX that’s better equipped than a similarly priced NX.

I ordered an FSport NX350 w/ luxury for less than an RDX Advanced or Aspec w/ Advanced/PMC Both at MSRP. Not only that the Lexus isway higher build quality and longevity if you want to play that. The dealership experience is far superior in terms of both purchase and service.

The Acura infotainment is a joke. I sold my MDX prior to the pandemic because it’s so bad; I couldn’t tolerate it any longer. They seemed to double down on on the new MDX type s and the 22 TLX. The last gen Civics have a better infotainment.

Last edited by VomieroEmu; 01-12-22 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-11-22, 08:53 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

The NX hood is made of aluminum (weight saving).

I don't see any vibration when I'm driving it

Originally Posted by TechNut
Agreed. The metal on new cars is thinner than ever and the hood is a huge sail. The 3rd Gen RX forum had discussions about vibrating hoods at higher speeds, and my 2013 shook. I didn’t really notice it on my NX but I wouldn’t be surprised if it vibrated. I haven’t looked that closely on my 2021 RX and haven’t spent much time at high speeds anyway. Large panels vibrating in the winds created by high speeds would seem pretty normal in this day and age.

Quick Reply: Comparing 2022 NX to Genesis GV