NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Comparing 2022 NX to Genesis GV

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-22 | 10:20 PM
midcow3
Racer

Angry hoods shouldn't vibrate at high speed

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
The NX hood is made of aluminum (weight saving).

I don't see any vibration when I'm driving it
I think something is wrong with @LEX200TL's car. It should not vibrate at high speed. He needs to take it back to the dealer assuming your definition of high speed is not 120+ mph.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 01-12-22 | 06:18 PM
Esuric86
Rookie

Consumer reports gave the GV70 a 30/100 for reliability. Genesis also assumes a very rapid depreciation for the vehicle, likely because of perceived reliability issues.
The following users liked this post:
corinvest (01-13-22)
Old 01-12-22 | 06:21 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VomieroEmu
A similarly, but still less equipped RDX costs more than an NX. There’s literally no trim/version of RDX that’s better equipped than a similarly priced NX.

I ordered an FSport NX350 w/ luxury for less than an RDX Advanced or Aspec w/ Advanced/PMC Both at MSRP. Not only that the Lexus isway higher build quality and longevity if you want to play that. The dealership experience is far superior in terms of both purchase and service.

The Acura infotainment is a joke. I sold my MDX prior to the pandemic because it’s so bad; I couldn’t tolerate it any longer. They seemed to double down on on the new MDX type s and the 22 TLX. The last gen Civics have a better infotainment.
If you are in the U.S., your pricing stats are not accurate. RDX comes standard with a pan roof for example. I agree the PMC model is a joke but your 350 Luxury vs A spec Advanced is wrong. You either don’t have heated rear seats and pan roof on your order or have a higher MSRP than the RDX, let alone the regular RDX Advance.
Nevertheless, going back to the title of this thread I believe the Genesis to be a more compelling model than both. That said, they are all very decent machines.
Old 01-12-22 | 06:46 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by midcow3
I think something is wrong with @LEX200TL's car. It should not vibrate at high speed. He needs to take it back to the dealer assuming your definition of high speed is not 120+ mph.

YMMV,
MidCow3
I only consider high speed is being above 140 mph. Just kidding.

On a serious note: I do no say the hood vibrates at all high speeds, but there are times it does (perhaps a combination of vehicle sped and side wind, etc.). I do not think there is anything wrong with the hood. The hood is the hood. No moving parts and it seats and locks tight. As GS3Tek mentioned, it is made from aluminum. It is thin aluminum sheet with outer skin fairly flat, without ribbing. Thus, vibration.
Old 01-12-22 | 06:51 PM
Esuric86
Rookie

A similarly, but still less equipped RDX costs more than an NX. There’s literally no trim/version of RDX that’s better equipped than a similarly priced NX.

I ordered an FSport NX350 w/ luxury for less than an RDX Advanced or Aspec w/ Advanced/PMC Both at MSRP. Not only that the Lexus isway higher build quality and longevity if you want to play that. The dealership experience is far superior in terms of both purchase and service.

The Acura infotainment is a joke. I sold my MDX prior to the pandemic because it’s so bad; I couldn’t tolerate it any longer. They seemed to double down on on the new MDX type s and the 22 TLX. The last gen Civics have a better infotainment.
I cross-shopped the RDX and was not impressed at all. Was less powerful, slower acceleration, worse visibility and the infotainment system was a disaster. Also it was uglier, inside and out (Acura logo too large). Pricewise, they're almost identical. To match my 350 AWD Premium package, you would need the A-Spec. The A-Spec would give the pano moonroof, and that's it. Pano moonroof with touch pad infotainment vs. the NX 14 inch touchscreen. How is it even close? Also, I don't think the A-Spec has heated steering wheel.

Last edited by Esuric86; 01-12-22 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-15-22 | 04:29 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

After multiple tests drive of the Lexus NX 350h and the Genesis GV70 2.5T, I have purchased the Genesis GV70 2.5T Prestige.

The main reason is the overall value of the GV70 2.5T Prestige, it would have cost multiples thousand dollars to get similar equipped 350h/350. I have been a long-time Lexus owner and have encouraged my family to buy Lexus. The only thing Lexus has over Genesis is long-term reliability, brand name, and resell value...

If Genesis keeps the reliability up for the next 10-15 years.. and delivers excellent cars at a good value, Lexus/Acura/Infinity may be in trouble... It would also be a major competitor to the BMW/Audi/Mercedes.
Onekoolguy (01-20-22)
Old 01-16-22 | 04:19 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by jadeboy
After multiple tests drive of the Lexus NX 350h and the Genesis GV70 2.5T, I have purchased the Genesis GV70 2.5T Prestige.

The main reason is the overall value of the GV70 2.5T Prestige, it would have cost multiples thousand dollars to get similar equipped 350h/350. I have been a long-time Lexus owner and have encouraged my family to buy Lexus. The only thing Lexus has over Genesis is long-term reliability, brand name, and resell value...

If Genesis keeps the reliability up for the next 10-15 years.. and delivers excellent cars at a good value, Lexus/Acura/Infinity may be in trouble... It would also be a major competitor to the BMW/Audi/Mercedes.

Yeah, it's a pretty tough choice now that Lexus is adding on surcharges which brings the vehicle price comparable to the Genesis Prestige and even the Sports Prestige.

The latter vehicle is still under consideration. The only thing stopping me is the fact that Lexus has a hybrid and it will save me a tremendous amount of money on gas as prices continue to soar.

Old 01-16-22 | 07:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Yeah, it's a pretty tough choice now that Lexus is adding on surcharges which brings the vehicle price comparable to the Genesis Prestige and even the Sports Prestige.

The latter vehicle is still under consideration. The only thing stopping me is the fact that Lexus has a hybrid and it will save me a tremendous amount of money on gas as prices continue to soar.
Genesis is adding surcharges as well from everything I read. No doubt they give decent value and as long as you don't care about crappy dealer network and horrible depreciation once the chip crisis ends, you'll enjoy their products. I owned a Hyundai Azera purchased new in 14. Nice car but I couldn't get over the cold start noises that sounded like a can of ball bearings so I traded it after four years and 60k miles.
corinvest (01-16-22)
Old 01-20-22 | 05:44 AM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Here's a head to head comparison by Motor1

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/56183...nx-comparison/
Onekoolguy (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22 | 12:34 PM
Jawnathin
Driver

If I was shopping for a gas only crossover SUV I would consider the GV70. Hyundai did a good job on it and it delivers strong value.

Styling wise, with the GV70 I like the long hood and profile more than the NX but I dislike the GV70’s C-pillar and rear styling. It is just too busy and doesn’t feel cohesive for my tastes. On the NX I prefer the front and rear styling more than the GV70, especially the lights. Also for NX I find the overall styling is more consistent as there are no bad angles or styling elements. The NX looks good from any angle but it does blend in more compared to the GV70 which stands out. No clear winner, up to personal preference.

Interior wise, both use very high quality materials with good fit and finish. The GV70 does look more upscale and ornate while I find the NX to be more modern and sporty/athletic. I prefer the look of the NX F Sport seats over any of the GV70 seats. However both are very nice inside, each with their pros and cons. Like the exterior there is no clear winner, it is a matter of personal preference.

Tech wise, I think the NX is the clear winner. Both are well equipped but the NX has USB-C, wireless CarPlay/Android auto, over the air updates, larger screen that is better positioned for touch controls, greater availability of the HUD, and more features for each comparable trim level. I disagree with Motor1’s complaint about engaging the driver aid’s on the NX. Activating the adaptive cruise control with lane tracing is just pressing one button on the steering wheel. All the other driving aids like lane keep, cross traffic alert, etc. were automatically enabled and required no interaction to turn it on.

Performance wise, the GV70 seems to have greater performance compared to the NX at each trim level. The GV70’s 2.5L turbo has more power than the 350’s 2.4L turbo and the GV70 twin turbo V6 is very potent and more powerful than the 450h+ PHEV. Also the GV70 is RWD biased which will help with higher limit handling. So compared to the NX I do think the GV70 is a clear winner but I would argue it’s importance for this segment of vehicle. These aren’t sports cars and will never perform like one. It just needs to be not boring, which the NX is not. In other words, while the GV70 is the winner I feel the NX is good enough given the type of vehicle. Also if high performance and high handling limits are important for your SUV then there are other stronger competitors such as BMW X3 or Porsche Macan worth considering too.

Finally, these are harder to quantify but I would have concerns about the differences in long term reliability, dealer experience, and resale value which is what Lexus is well known for and Genesis has struggled with. However it must be noted that Genesis has a better standard warranty and maintenance plan than Lexus.

Overall, I find both vehicles to be very comparable, each with their pros and cons. The best option comes down to personal preferences and what is important to them. I think owners of either model would be very happy with their choice.

As for me, I bought an NX primarily because it was available as a PHEV in 450h+ trim. The GV70 wasn’t considered because it doesn’t come with a PHEV drivetrain or even self-charging hybrid like the 350h. I really value being able to drive EV gas-free for my day to day commutes while having the option of using gas for longer distance drives without any range anxiety. With the 300 miles of driving so far, its been 95% EV and I’ve used less than a gallon of gas total, primarily because the battery was depleted when accepting delivery at the dealership so I had to use gas on the drive home. On the GV70 these 300 miles would have been at least 10 gallons of gas. Over the lifetime of the vehicle, on-going running costs due to gas would have made the GV70 much more expensive to own, not to mention the inconvenience of having to stop at the gas station frequently.

Genesis is releasing the GV60 EV next year but I dislike its styling and prefer PHEV over full EV. In the small luxury crossover market, only Audi and Volvo have competing PHEVs vehicles but they have half the range of the NX and questionable reliability and resale. However, Volvo did just recently announce a larger battery pack for their XC60 Recharge which makes it much more competitive but still short of the NX and still questionable reliability and resale.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 01-20-22 at 12:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jawnathin:
IS350USB (01-25-22), lsft (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22 | 12:48 PM
VomieroEmu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
If I was shopping for a gas only crossover SUV I would consider the GV70. Hyundai did a good job on it and it delivers strong value.

Styling wise, with the GV70 I like the long hood and profile more than the NX but I dislike the GV70’s C-pillar and rear styling. It is just too busy and doesn’t feel cohesive for my tastes. On the NX I prefer the front and rear styling more than the GV70, especially the lights. Also for NX I find the overall styling is more consistent as there are no bad angles or styling elements. The NX looks good from any angle but it does blend in more compared to the GV70 which stands out. No clear winner, up to personal preference.

Interior wise, both use very high quality materials with good fit and finish. The GV70 does look more upscale and ornate while I find the NX to be more modern and sporty/athletic. I prefer the look of the NX F Sport seats over any of the GV70 seats. However both are very nice inside, each with their pros and cons. Like the exterior there is no clear winner, it is a matter of personal preference.

Tech wise, I think the NX is the clear winner. Both are well equipped but the NX has USB-C, wireless CarPlay/Android auto, over the air updates, larger screen that is better positioned for touch controls, greater availability of the HUD, and more features for each comparable trim level. I disagree with Motor1’s complaint about engaging the driver aid’s on the NX. Activating the adaptive cruise control with lane tracing is just pressing one button on the steering wheel. All the other driving aids like lane keep, cross traffic alert, etc. were automatically enabled and required no interaction to turn it on.

Performance wise, the GV70 seems to have greater performance compared to the NX at each trim level. The GV70’s 2.5L turbo has more power than the 350’s 2.4L turbo and the GV70 twin turbo V6 is very potent and more powerful than the 450h+ PHEV. Also the GV70 is RWD biased which will help with higher limit handling. So compared to the NX I do think the GV70 is a clear winner but I would argue it’s importance for this segment of vehicle. These aren’t sports cars and will never perform like one. It just needs to be not boring, which the NX is not. In other words, while the GV70 is the winner I feel the NX is good enough given the type of vehicle. Also if high performance and high handling limits are important for your SUV then there are other stronger competitors such as BMW X3 or Porsche Macan worth considering too.

Finally, these are harder to quantify but I would have concerns about the differences in long term reliability, dealer experience, and resale value which is what Lexus is well known for and Genesis has struggled with. However it must be noted that Genesis has a better standard warranty and maintenance plan than Lexus.

Overall, I find both vehicles to be very comparable, each with their pros and cons. The best option comes down to personal preferences and what is important to them. I think owners of either model would be very happy with their choice.

As for me, I bought an NX primarily because it was available as a PHEV in 450h+ trim. The GV70 wasn’t considered because it doesn’t come with a PHEV drivetrain or even self-charging hybrid. Genesis is releasing the GV60 EV next year but I dislike its styling and prefer PHEV over full EV. In the small luxury crossover market, only Audi and Volvo have competing PHEVs vehicles but they have half the range of the NX and questionable reliability and resale. However, Volvo did just recently announce a larger battery pack for their XC60 Recharge which makes it much more competitive but still short of the NX but still questionable reliability and resale.
I thought I was the only one that didn't like the front/rear and light styling of the new Genesis products. I honestly think it's some of the worst styling out there. The profile and over all body lines I think look great. But - everyone fawns over these headlights and rear styling; don't get it.

I'm definitely in the minority anyway because the over all styling, inside and out of these cars screams 'we are trying way too hard'. They seemed to have used nice materials but it just doesn't look elegantly done to me - its just thrown together for the sake of being up market.

The GV80 steering wheel is bonkers. I've never cared so much about having a good steering wheel until I saw the GV80 wheel. That would be a non-starter for me if was actually considering This is all obviously subjective and everyone has their own tastes and preferences.

A bit of an anecdote - I saw a Palisade driving in front of me the other day and the rear bumper above the tail pipes was covered in black soot. Ive seen this on prior Genesis products as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by VomieroEmu:
IS350USB (01-25-22), lsft (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22 | 01:56 PM
lsft
Racer

I thought I was the only one that didn't like the front/rear and light styling of the new Genesis products. I honestly think it's some of the worst styling out there. The profile and over all body lines I think look great. But - everyone fawns over these headlights and rear styling; don't get it.

I'm definitely in the minority anyway because the over all styling, inside and out of these cars screams 'we are trying way too hard'. They seemed to have used nice materials but it just doesn't look elegantly done to me - its just thrown together for the sake of being up market.

The GV80 steering wheel is bonkers. I've never cared so much about having a good steering wheel until I saw the GV80 wheel. That would be a non-starter for me if was actually considering This is all obviously subjective and everyone has their own tastes and preferences.

A bit of an anecdote - I saw a Palisade driving in front of me the other day and the rear bumper above the tail pipes was covered in black soot. Ive seen this on prior Genesis products as well.

Can't agree more on the steering wheel.... doesn't matter how well the other things are.. the steering wheel is a deal breaker for me. I think the Genesis turns heads too cos not everybody knows what this brand is and is definitely curious and will turn heads for sure. Funny how people say that the Lexus spindle grille is large and don't like it.. but the Genesis one is large as well. I'm not a fan of those headlights and rear lights, but as you have all said.. it's all preference.

I do admit that the Genesis do look more upscale, but the NX's target is for younger buyers and may not be looking for the upscale look, but more of a sporty look. It just designed for a different persona. I always don't understand why people measure performance with how many horsepower and torque. Yes the EVs can go from 0-60 in 2-3 secs, but do you really need that power? Why can't we have cars that can go at a decent speed and be more efficient? The new NX has up the game in the hybrids which now is good enough for most buyers - unlike the previous gen. Lexus has never been a company to build vehicles and tune their engines for performance. They are always underpowered to maintain reliability.

Buying either one is a good buy... it's all what you like and what you can get during this shortage crisis.
Old 01-24-22 | 11:15 AM
Birdman325
Rookie

I was cross shopping these 2 as well but here in Canada (Toronto) I was told that a factory order GV70 that is placed now might arrive by June or July as the current allotment is already all spoken for whereas a factory order for the 350H would more likely be April.
Old 01-25-22 | 06:26 PM
ratheesh
Driver School Candidate

No HUD in any of the 2.5T trim is a deal breaker for me, I don't need a 3.5T so am paying more than 10k for nothing. but price wise it's very much comparable. The top of the line 2.5T is very much cheaper than the top of the line NX 350/350H.
Old 01-26-22 | 08:00 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ratheesh
The top of the line 2.5T is very much cheaper than the top of the line NX 350/350H.
The Sport Prestige Trim (the top of the line) in the 2.5T version of the GV70 (MSRP $54,740) is almost exactly the same price as the comparable 2022 NX350F Sport, as per the attached build sheet ($54,390).

Neither shows any additional dealer markup, but regardless, it most certainly is not "very much cheaper".
Attached Files

Quick Reply: Comparing 2022 NX to Genesis GV