NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Comparing 2022 NX to Genesis GV

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 09:05 AM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Comparing 2022 NX to Genesis GV

I know I am going to get hell for saying this in a Lexus forum...

I am fully aware of the reputation the Lexus brand brings with it. These vehicles are built like a bullet. They will last for years with minimal to no issues.

I am always completely unimpressed with the tech inside a Lexus. It's either outdated or there isn't enough of it.

I am torn between the new NX 350 Hybrid and a Genesis GV70.

The loaded GV70 is within $7k of a loaded NX 350, has waaaay more (and better) tech inside the vehicle. It's also, sadly, a gas guzzler that only takes premium fuel.

The NX 350 Hybrid would get better gas mileage (15MPG more), take regular fuel, and have slightly better depreciation, Service centers would also be better, I imagine, as Genesis is sharing them with Hyundai.

Genesis has a better warranty than Lexus

However, Genesis blows Lexus out of the water when it comes to a "fun vehicle" to drive. And that's my issue with Lexus. Their tech is always behind by several years. The interior of their vehicles look outdated. We don't even know how good the Mark Levinson system will be in this vehicle since the quality seems to differ from model to model and year to year.

I'm not trying to start an argument in a Lexus forum. I'm very much in agreement that Lexus is the better brand, but I am having a very hard time (outside of the fuel economy) of justifying the purchase of this vehicle based on tech. I really wish Lexus did a little better on this vehicle. No power folding mirrors? That's the least any luxury vehicle company could put in their trim.

Originally Posted by NJRonbo

I am fully aware of the reputation the Lexus brand brings with it. These vehicles are built like a bullet. They will last for years with minimal to no issues.

I am always completely unimpressed with the tech inside a Lexus. It's either outdated or there isn't enough of it.

The loaded GV70 is within $7k of a loaded NX 350, has waaaay more (and better) tech inside the vehicle. It's also, sadly, a gas guzzler that only takes premium fuel.

The NX 350 Hybrid would get better gas mileage (15MPG more), take regular fuel, and have slightly better depreciation, Service centers would also be better, I imagine, as Genesis is sharing them with Hyundai.

However, Genesis blows Lexus out of the water when it comes to a "fun vehicle" to drive. And that's my issue with Lexus. Their tech is always behind by several years. The interior of their vehicles look outdated. We don't even know how good the Mark Levinson system will be in this vehicle since the quality seems to differ from model to model and year to year.

I'm not trying to start an argument in a Lexus forum. I'm very much in agreement that Lexus is the better brand, but I am having a very hard time (outside of the fuel economy) of justifying the purchase of this vehicle based on tech. I really wish Lexus did a little better on this vehicle. No power folding mirrors? That's the least any luxury vehicle company could put in their trim.
Same as you torn between both. Actually test drove the GV70 2.5t yesterday. I won't comment as you say this is a lexus forum all I can say is the salesperson did say premium gas is recommended but not required and won't affect fuel economy. According to what I read online he is correct.
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number of 87 or higher. For improved vehicle performance, premium unleaded fuel with an octane number of 91 or higher is recommended.

Originally Posted by Aqus
Same as you torn between both. Actually test drove the GV70 2.5t yesterday. I won't comment as you say this is a lexus forum all I can say is the salesperson did say premium gas is recommended but not required and won't affect fuel economy. According to what I read online he is correct.
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number of 87 or higher. For improved vehicle performance, premium unleaded fuel with an octane number of 91 or higher is recommended.
The problem is (and I put this in my original comment) I am looking at the loaded GV70, which is the Sports Prestige. THAT vehicle requires premium fuel and there is no debate on that issue. It has a V6 engine and performance will be compromised if regular gas is put into it.

I am going for the highest trim as it adds more tech including a beautiful, color heads-up display

However, I am glad to see someone else in my situation. The GV70 is the "eye-catcher" when considering a Lexus NX, BMW X3, Audi Q5 or Lincoln Corsair/Aviator.

And all due respect to Lexus and the members of this forum. Just trying to justify the purchase when Lexus skimped on tech.

I'm here for exactly the same comparison (2022 GV70 2.5T/3.5T vs 2022 NX 350H). Currently have 2019 Avalon Limited V-6 and a 2019 Hyundai Kona Limited. One's too big (the Avalon) for the wife to be comfortable driving, and the Kona is too small for me to feel comfortable driving. We're considering selling both and going to one vehicle since we'll both be retired in the next year or so.

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
I'm here for exactly the same comparison (2022 GV70 2.5T/3.5T vs 2022 NX 350H). Currently have 2019 Avalon Limited V-6 and a 2019 Hyundai Kona Limited. One's too big (the Avalon) for the wife to be comfortable driving, and the Kona is too small for me to feel comfortable driving. We're considering selling both and going to one vehicle since we'll both be retired in the next year or so.
Wow! I am really blown away. Thought I would be heckled off this forum but within minutes two other members are making the same considerations between the NX and the GV70.

There is not one bad review for the GV70. All the driving reviews I have seen on YouTube pit it very close to the German rivals.

I am waiting for the October 2nd embargo to lift on the NX driving reviews. At least I think that's the date. Once we see reviews from the cockpit and on the road, we can make a better assessment on which vehicle to choose.

I am glad that you guys are here so I can gauge your opinions since we are torn between the same vehicles. Nice to meet you both!

Wow! I am really blown away. Thought I would be heckled off this forum but within minutes two other members are making the same considerations between the NX and the GV70.

There is not one bad review for the GV70. All the driving reviews I have seen on YouTube pit it very close to the German rivals.

I am waiting for the October 2nd embargo to lift on the NX driving reviews. At least I think that's the date. Once we see reviews from the cockpit and on the road, we can make a better assessment on which vehicle to choose.

I am glad that you guys are here so I can gauge your opinions since we are torn between the same vehicles. Nice to meet you both!
like wise the official embargo is the 7th

I first became interested in the GV70 when Tiger Woods crashed his GV80 and was seriously injured.

Yes, partly because Tiger was driving the vehicle, but also because it was so darn good looking and because it was obviously built with the occupant's survival in mind.

I have driven the 2021 GV70 and 80 and will drive the 2022s as a comparison once the NX hits the dealer's lots and I can drive them the same day.

My lasting impression of the 2021 GV test drive was, "it sure seems big and heavy" compared to my 2017 NX F-Sport. I am confident the 2022 NX will drive even better with MUCH better tech in the cockpit, and I just don't think Genesis will be able to match the reliability of the Lexus.

We shall see!

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
I first became interested in the GV70 when Tiger Woods crashed his GV80 and was seriously injured.

Yes, partly because Tiger was driving the vehicle, but also because it was so darn good looking and because it was obviously built with the occupant's survival in mind.

I have driven the 2021 GV70 and 80 and will drive the 2022s as a comparison once the NX hits the dealer's lots and I can drive them the same day.

My lasting impression of the 2021 GV test drive was, "it sure seems big and heavy" compared to my 2017 NX F-Sport. I am confident the 2022 NX will drive even better with MUCH better tech in the cockpit, and I just don't think Genesis will be able to match the reliability of the Lexus.

We shall see!
Damp,

I am a little confused by you saying the 2022 NX will have MUCH better tech. How can that be? It's missing massage seats, colorized heads-up display, rear seat comfort controls, remote start parking assist, Ergo Motion assist, AI Navigation (where directions are placed over actual live feed of road ahead of you).

These are just off the top of my head.

Lexus may have some unique features, but it's still pale in overall tech and luxury over the Genesis.

The only huge piece of tech missing from the Genesis is wireless Apple CarPlay and Android audio.

I do agree with you that Genesis may not win in reliability, though it has made just about every list of most reliable vehicle brand.

Damp,

I am a little confused by you saying the 2022 NX will have MUCH better tech. How can that be? It's missing massage seats, colorized heads-up display, rear seat comfort controls, remote start parking assist, Ergo Motion assist, AI Navigation (where directions are placed over actual live feed of road ahead of you).
I meant the 2022 will have much better tech than the previous NXs...not the GV70.

BTW, many think there is no need for the colorized HUD, but after you've driven with it, it is almost as if you cannot do without it...

Tiger's GV80.

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
I meant the 2022 will have much better tech than the previous NXs...not the GV70.

BTW, many think there is no need for the colorized HUD, but after you've driven with it, it is almost as if you cannot do without it...

Tiger's GV80.
Okay, now I understand what you are saying.

Yeah, I am being forced into the Sports Prestige 3.5 package at $63k just for that heads-up display which is miles ahead of most any other car manufacturer. It even displays when a vehicle is coming up in the side lanes. It's pretty sick!

Okay, now I understand what you are saying.

Yeah, I am being forced into the Sports Prestige 3.5 package at $63k just for that heads-up display which is miles ahead of most any other car manufacturer. It even displays when a vehicle is coming up in the side lanes. It's pretty sick!
I am looking at the 2.5T prestige and also has the HUD.
As to the mention of a previous post where the GV70 does not have wireless Android or carplay. It was a major thing for me also as I go in and out of my car several times a day. But there is aawireless that now exists for $85 USD which does exactly that.
As for reliability true about Lexus but Genesis does have a 5 year 100,000k warranty and I don't keep my cars more than 4 years anyways.

Overall pricing and gas consumption cost will be a big factor for me. Although some say at this price point you shouldn't care about fuel costs but I am on the road a lot and like having a luxury car but at a point need to put a limit on the overall cost.

As to the mention of a previous post where the GV70 does not have wireless Android or carplay. It was a major thing for me also as I go in and out of my car several times a day. But there is aawireless that now exists for $85 USD which does exactly that.
As for reliability true about Lexus but Genesis does have a 5 year 100,000k warranty and I don't keep my cars more than 4 years anyways.

Overall pricing and gas consumption cost will be a big factor for me. Although some say at this price point you shouldn't care about fuel costs but I am on the road a lot and like having a luxury car but at a point need to put a limit on the overall cost.
Oh, so the 2.5 Prestige has the HUD too?

Does it have digital speedometers? I know it doesn't have the 3D ones. That is only on the 3.5 Prestige. Those two features are also forcing me into that vehicle.

Yeah, gas consumption is a huge factor in choosing Genesis over Lexus. If you commute far, I would not do it. I am retired, don't drive much, so the uptick in fuel and premium fills will be less severe.

And, yes, Genesis not only has a better warranty than Lexus, but also includes 3 years of maintenance which includes oil changes. I don't think Lexus does that.

Oh, so the 2.5 Prestige has the HUD too?

Does it have digital speedometers? I know it doesn't have the 3D ones. That is only on the 3.5 Prestige. Those two features are also forcing me into that vehicle.

Yeah, gas consumption is a huge factor in choosing Genesis over Lexus. If you commute far, I would not do it. I am retired, don't drive much, so the uptick in fuel and premium fills will be less severe.

And, yes, Genesis not only has a better warranty than Lexus, but also includes 3 years of maintenance which includes oil changes. I don't think Lexus does that.
It has an analogue speedometer on left and digital on right which has the blind spot monitoring you can see on right when putting flasher.
As for maintenance no none is includes as far as I know with Lexus but you can get it here in Canada with one of the extended warranty packages but adding another $2K .

Hey everyone. Guess I'm on the other side of the fence on this one. I was looking at the GV70 for over a year and couldn't wait until it came to the dealers. Got on my dealership's early buy list for the 2.5 and when they started coming in, only the 3.5's were arriving for several weeks. Well, this worked out for me because I got a good look at this car and was able to test drive it. Don't get me wrong, it handles very nice, but me personally, I could not get over the exterior as to how small it appeared in person. I am looking for an SUV, and to me it looks like a hatchback of years gone by. I'm sure that I'm probably in the minority on this but I like the NX much better. What really sealed the deal against it is the problems some are experiencing on the Genesis GV70 Forum. Have had four Lexus cars including a 2016 NX (three were first year redesigns) and had no problems with any. Maybe Genesis can get some of these issues behind them soon because one thing that can tarnish my opinion of a car quickly is how often it is in for warranty work.

I believe your mistaken, I have yet to find a GV70 2.5T with a HUD system, at any price, and I've looked at a lot of Monroney Stickers on the computer, as well as a lot of the actual vehicles on dealer lots.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 09-30-21 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-29-21, 02:53 PM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Comparing 2022 NX to Genesis GV

Moderator note:
Since this new thread is in it's early stage and hasn't expanded to other manufacturers, let's keep this one to NX vs. Genesis.

For other suvs, feel free to start a new NX vs. _____ suv so we can stay on point.
When doing comparison, please expand when anyone is saying high tech vs. what is low tech.....cheers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not certain this thread will be allowed, but in another thread, some of us did ask for the opportunity to compare the upcoming 2022 NX to other vehicles.

Genesis has a better warranty than Lexus and includes 3 years of maintenance (oil changes and such).

I'm very much in agreement that Lexus is the better brand, but I am having a very hard time (outside of the fuel economy) of justifying the purchase of this vehicle based on tech. I really wish Lexus did a little better on this vehicle. No power folding mirrors? That's the least any luxury vehicle company could put in their trim.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 09-29-21 at 05:37 PM. Reason: title fixed as requested -revised title for new topic
Old 09-29-21, 03:25 PM
Aqus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same situation. Hesitating between 2022 NX and GV702.5T Prestige.
to add to the previous poster Lexus has different options but none with all the bells and whistles. Fsport seems to not have some features as the luxury package and vise versa.
things I like so far of NX: wireless android auto and carplay. hybrid and plug-in availability, huge screen, reliability.
dislikes Glossy black, passenger side dull as hell, no folding mirrors. 60/40 split manual on some models. no back seat zone controls. need to pay almost 2k to have a comparable warranty coverage as genesis and maintenance, lacking tech. Run flat tires( had on my BMW expensive nightmare).

Genesis Likes: looks WOW inside and out , fun to drive. Advance tech.warranty and maintenance plan. pickup service, 14'' screen very clear including cameras. Comfortable seats with multi adjustments and massage. power folding mirrors. back seat zone control.
Dislikes: no hybrid or plug-in (yet) no wireless android ( could be fixed with aawireless) no dedicated dealer.
Old 09-29-21, 03:53 PM
IS350USB
Driver

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

Warranty on Genesis is a definite plus but I've rarely heard anyone have major issues requiring extended warranty on a Lexus. If they did, it was rare and a lemon off the lot.

The GV70 is definitely nicer on the inside, but for me I do enjoy the overall looks and proportions of the new NX. Lexus makes timeless designs (except the SC430) where other manufacturers make something new but doesn't age well. As for new technology, so much of "new" vehicle technology are gimmicks if not things you hardly even use. I believe Toyota/Lexus philosophy is to incorporate what works and not add in technology that may cause more issues than good in the life of the vehicle.

IMHO wait till you test drive the vehicle and don't forget that the new Lexus vehicles are now fully tested on their Shimoyama private test track to implement their new Lexus Driving Signature.

The GV70 I want optioned out is ridiculously expensive. I'm not in love with it to fork out that much money and would be very happy with an NX450h+ F-Sport.

Last edited by IS350USB; 09-29-21 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-29-21, 06:23 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I am very impressed with the Genesis models. I think either the GV70 or NX would be good choices.
Old 09-30-21, 03:48 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Thank you Moderators for allowing this thread and making the necessary corrections

Glad to see some of you from the other thread here. Looking forward to reading your experiences as you decide between the 2022 NX and GV70.

I have 7 months to make that decision as I am awaiting my current lease to end. Plenty of time to read reviews and do test drives.
Old 09-30-21, 05:08 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

This is what patience can bring you...

WOW!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/g...k-design-tech/

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictur...c-crossover/6/
Old 09-30-21, 08:04 AM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice work on the new forum! It's good to be away from those scruffy 1st-gen folks.

Originally Posted by TheRas900
I am very impressed with the Genesis models. I think either the GV70 or NX would be good choices.
I'm not completely sold on Korean vehicles yet (even though they have come a LONG way since their early days in the U.S. market), but I think I will test drive a GV70 just in case it really wows me, along with (maybe) a Cadillac XT5. After 17 nearly trouble-free years in my RX, though, it's going to take a lot to sway me away from Lexus.
Old 09-30-21, 08:58 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorsai
Nice work on the new forum! It's good to be away from those scruffy 1st-gen folks.

I'm not completely sold on Korean vehicles yet (even though they have come a LONG way since their early days in the U.S. market), but I think I will test drive a GV70 just in case it really wows me, along with (maybe) a Cadillac XT5. After 17 nearly trouble-free years in my RX, though, it's going to take a lot to sway me away from Lexus.
My sister has a 2005 and is still running great. I change cars waaay too often lol and I've owned every generation of the RX. All were 100% trouble free.

That said, after seeing the first Genesis GV70 videos from months ago, I've been thinking to myself that they're going to really start to eat Lexus' pie. Now personally I will never buy another car that gets below 30MPG, so I'm sticking with the NX450h. If the NX450h turns out to be a bigger unicorn than the RAV4 Prime, then I'll happily drive my 19 RXh for a good long while. I'm probably the guy on earth who prefers the Lexus remote touch joystick (but not the touchpad) over a touchscreen.. and I prefer as many hard physical buttons as possible.

I bought an Ioniq PHEV Limited right on new year's eve last year, back when crazy discounts can still be had on it. It replaced a Lexus CT which I sold soon after buying the Ioniq. I'm pretty impressed with Hyundai's tech and build quality even on a cheapish model (the range starts at ~$23k and tops out ~$35K). Kind of comparing apples and oranges here being that the CT was a 10yr old design, but the Ioniq is a better car than the CT in every way. Well over 70MPG all day long when I plug it in daily. Still well over 50MPG if not plugged in. Seeing what I can get from the Ioniq PHEV is what got me interested to go with the NX450h+.

@NJRonbo Lexus has always been very conservative with the tech they put into their cars, so it's not a surprise to me at all that their latest and greatest are still somewhat behind the competition in some areas.
Old 09-30-21, 10:37 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Previous posts regarding NX and GV have been merged into this thread.
Old 09-30-21, 11:00 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350USB
Warranty on Genesis is a definite plus but I've rarely heard anyone have major issues requiring extended warranty on a Lexus. If they did, it was rare and a lemon off the lot.
Plenty of problems all around Lexus. My 2016 RX has multiple trips to the dealership for repairs after the factory warranty expired.

The current NX Turbo motor isn’t doing to well.

Is Lexus better than all the other brands? Absolutely. But that doesn’t make them bulletproof.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-threads.html
The following users liked this post:
Solara350 (10-10-21)
Old 09-30-21, 11:53 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I think the GV70 interior is nice. At least from what I can deduce from the photos.

I don't think you can go wrong with either vehicle. Both are nice, it comes down to preference and priorities in terms of price, style, features, etc.

As far as differences in features and options, it is hard to tell how well they are implemented without some time in the driver's seat. So how much value do they actually add is anyone's guess and most likely will vary from driver to driver. Theoretical vs reality.
Old 09-30-21, 02:41 PM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if deleting the folding power mirrors has anything to do with that oncoming traffic system that won't allow you to open the doors if there is a car or a bicycle coming from behind? Could the sensors for that be in the mirror therefore the mirror has to stay extended in order for it to work? I know you can currently fold the mirrors after exiting the vehicle but there is also that manual switch where you can fold them while you're still in the vehicle with the engine running.

**EDIT** But then again you can still manually fold them in so that would still defeat that detection system so maybe that isn't the reason.

Last edited by Jezza819; 09-30-21 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-30-21, 06:13 PM
chilipalm
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy in this video says there are power folding mirrors. Around the 6:11 mark.

Old 10-01-21, 04:00 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by chilipalm
The guy in this video says there are power folding mirrors. Around the 6:11 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjyZUJl16aA

I am the one who posted there were no power-folding mirrors.

However, that information I got from someone else in the general 2022 NX thread posted in this same forum area.

I could very well be wrong on that. Hope I am.

Quick Reply: Comparing 2022 NX to Genesis GV