NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

2022 NX vs Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-21, 01:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,566 Posts

Originally Posted by GaLexusNut
You don't think the 2022 NX has up to date tech? The new infotainment system is leaps ahead of what they have offered previously.
Have not seen one in person watched videos, I still think the infotainment is far far behind Tesla both in hardware and software.
Personally the only reason tesla is on my list is cause I really want an EV. It would be nice to not have to worry about gas/maintenance much anymore, if at all. So Tesla has the tech and charging network going for them which surpass every other EV, much less SUV EV, on the market.
Know anyone with a Tesla? That would be ideal drive it for a few hours. There is almost zero maintenance especially in the first few years. Brake fluid is still a thing, brake pads last far longer due to regenerative braking it's common to get 100k miles out of a set of pads. Coolant has to be changed every ~7 years. Not sure on the electric motors they do have a lubrication system (uses ATF) in theory it should be changed once in a while.

Does the Toyota bz4x (awful name) interest you at all? I'm sure there will be a Lexus version but that could be a couple of years out.
Old 11-28-21, 02:29 PM
rellim
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My cousin owns the Model 3 & Y and I regularly drive them. My biggest issue is that you do not get the advertised range. Also, I could never get one because Tesla will NOT support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
Old 11-29-21, 12:52 AM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
You still have to maintain a Tesla, going EV doesn't mean that you don't need to do any maintenance on it. There are rumors of an EV NX coming a year later.....
I know there is still maintenance on a Tesla but much less than what's needed on an ICE vehicle. If the EV NX rumors are true, then id definitely be interested in that. I'm not desperate for a car/SUV right now.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
...Know anyone with a Tesla?...
​​​​​​
Unfortunately I don't. Really wish I did as I would to get a feel of how they drive in person vs YouTube and 2nd hand testimonials.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
....Does the Toyota bz4x (awful name) interest you at all? I'm sure there will be a Lexus version but that could be a couple of years out.
It does interest me but only because I assume a Lexus version will not be far behind like you stated.

Old 11-29-21, 04:42 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,160 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
You still have to maintain a Tesla, going EV doesn't mean that you don't need to do any maintenance on it. There are rumors of an EV NX coming a year later. I would say the infotainment system is not at par to the competitors. Wouldn't say they are beyond the competitors at all. The safety features are good definitely top on the list.

If Tesla can get a car correctly out of the line and not have to fix things afterwards, I may consider them. Even with the fixes, they are still far from good in quality of build. Driving so many Lexus vehicles, it's very hard for me to stand the quality of a Tesla. I would just wait for the Lexus EV
Ralph Nader gets his digs in on Tesla's horrible dependability.

Ralph Nader Teases Tesla for Results in J.D. Power's 2021 Vehicle Dependability Study

Home > News > U-turn
23 Nov 2021, 13:26 UTC ·
by Gustavo Henrique Ruffo
Caveat emptor is a Latin expression that means “let the buyer beware.” In English, it became a proverb that states the buyers are ultimately responsible for making sure that what they are buying is in good condition. Ralph Nader used it to poke Tesla about its results on J.D. Power’s 2021 Vehicle Dependability Study.
7 photos

In a tweet, the author of “Unsafe at Any Speed” tagged Elon Musk to mock the fact that Tesla ended up in the 30th place out of 33 brands when it comes to reliability. Consumer Reports recently presented another dependability study that did not make Tesla look much better: it was only better than Lincoln. Among 28 carmakers, it landed in the 27th position.

For a company that brags about not spending money on marketing and relying on its customers to sell more cars, these results are really dangerous for Tesla. On top of that, its clients complain pretty often about not being able to schedule repairs at Tesla Service Centers. If build quality were higher, perhaps these repair shops would be more available to customers.

As a consumer advocate, Nader warned people willing to buy a Tesla to read the J.D. Power report in order to be more aware of the potential issues these cars may present. He then teases the company by saying that “maybe production lines are too much too fast” and that people should not fall “for all Elon Musk’s boasting.”

Some of Nader’s followers asked what this had to do with safety since he’s famous for bringing awareness to the way cars were built in the 1960s. However, as a consumer advocate, the attorney also wants to promote better products, which implies they have to be better in many more aspects. On top of that, an unreliable car can represent safety risks in certain situations, especially if it decides to stop in the middle of the road. Instead of being mad with Nader, Tesla fans should care for the only thing that can really help the company they claim to love so much: demand that it improves build quality as much as possible.
Old 12-01-21, 01:22 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to derail the thread from just the NX vs Model Y, but to compare the Venza, NX 250 and Model Y, there is too big of a price difference between them and one is a hybrid, gas-only and the other full EV. If you are interested in full EVs to reduce potential maintenance costs, there are other better value EVs out there than the Model Y. I would also go for the NX 350h at least because the NX 250 would be a downgrade compared to your current IS 250 imo. Looks like you have some time to decide, but good luck.
Old 12-01-21, 05:45 PM
Blastphemy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing the Tesla Model Y to the Lexus NX450h+ is almost apples to oranges.

Teslas are electric cars with amazing accelerating, quasi-self driving, over-the-air updates, and fun little Easter eggs in the Infotainment system.

The Lexus NX450h+ is a quasi-compliance car that is mostly gas-powered but can also drive on electricity alone if you don't mind 0-60 in 10 seconds and only 37 miles of range.

The big general difference is that the Lexus NX450h+ is a premium LUXURY CAR whereas the Tesla Model Y is a premium ELECTRIC SPORTS CAR. The other general difference is the aforementioned 0-60 acceleration that Tesla wins hands down. Even in hybrid mode, the NX450h+ can only achieve 0-60 in 6 seconds.

The only way you'll be able to make an informed decision is to try driving both. Even though I drive a Tesla Model X, if the NX450h+ had come with the Mark Levinson system, had more robust acceleration, and could go more than a measly 37 miles on battery alone, I'd choose that for my next car. It's also a question whether the NX450h+ even has the head-up display or panoramic roof, which would be additional features that could tip the scale, but the plug-in hybrid version doesn't seem to have them (because, as noted previously, this is a quasi-compliance car).
Old 12-02-21, 09:24 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 643 Likes on 426 Posts
Angry Not ready yet for fully electric car

Tesla would be a hard sell still without a solid charging infrastructure, which current at least in the USA does not exist and probably won't for at least another 5 years more likely 10.

The Tesla is very minimalistic and has a poor stereo/audio system. Tesla excels in speed, battery range, and detailed statistics and data; nest information on a tablet even though some tasks are overly unnecessarily complicated.

There is a pretty good video comparing electric cars Tesla, VW, and Mustang
But of these three, I would choose Mustang but I am not ready for a fully electric car yet, I will buy a 2022 Lexus NX 350h.
Old 12-20-21, 06:41 PM
edstewbob
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2019 Tesla long range model Y and am waiting for delivery of an NX 350h. We are getting the NX 350h to replace our 7 year old Outback. I can say that the model Y is one of the worst cars we have had in terms of road noise and ride smoothness. In fact my wife hates to ride in it so I am the only one that uses it. We had a model 3 before that and got the Y thinking it would be smoother but not it is not, it's horrible. I love some things about it but there are several things that are just plain stupid for such a vehicle. No rear cross traffic warning, no blind-spot monitor, no CarPlay, poor rear view mirror visibility. In addition, the full self driving feature is a joke. I paid $10k with the promise by Elon that over 2 years ago they would have this feature to allow an entire fleet of self-driving Teslas. Never happened and not likely anytime soon. I love the acceleration and simple controls but there are enough things wrong with this car that I would not every get one again. Reliability wise it has been no trouble at all for the 2 years I have owned It and with 300+ mile range it's enough to avoid range anxiety in most cases. I'm really hoping our NX 350h will be super smooth and quiet but I'm starting to get some anxiety now due to the 20 inch runflat times it comes with.
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (12-20-21)
Old 12-20-21, 06:58 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,160 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by edstewbob
I have a 2019 Tesla long range model Y and am waiting for delivery of an NX 350h. We are getting the NX 350h to replace our 7 year old Outback. I can say that the model Y is one of the worst cars we have had in terms of road noise and ride smoothness. In fact my wife hates to ride in it so I am the only one that uses it. We had a model 3 before that and got the Y thinking it would be smoother but not it is not, it's horrible. I love some things about it but there are several things that are just plain stupid for such a vehicle. No rear cross traffic warning, no blind-spot monitor, no CarPlay, poor rear view mirror visibility. In addition, the full self driving feature is a joke. I paid $10k with the promise by Elon that over 2 years ago they would have this feature to allow an entire fleet of self-driving Teslas. Never happened and not likely anytime soon. I love the acceleration and simple controls but there are enough things wrong with this car that I would not every get one again. Reliability wise it has been no trouble at all for the 2 years I have owned It and with 300+ mile range it's enough to avoid range anxiety in most cases. I'm really hoping our NX 350h will be super smooth and quiet but I'm starting to get some anxiety now due to the 20 inch runflat times it comes with.
Thanks for your honest opinion.I would never ever buy a Tesla because I would be going from #1 in reliability by both J D Power and Consumer Reports to 27 out of 28 and 30 out of 32. That is based on facts while IMO both their exterior and interior are extremely unattractive.
Old 12-23-21, 06:12 AM
adb04
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Currently driving Model 3, waiting for NX 450h+

I have been driving Tesla since 2019 March. Overall my experience with the car is great. Almost zero maintenance (just changed the cabin air filter last month), fast, new features through software updates, highway cruise navigation (I have FSD beta, but don't use it much due unreliability), best infotainment system are great. However the quality of the car is pretty bad in terms of price (cost us $68k including tax). I live nearby Tesla SC, so got good service from them in my couple of visits in last ~3 years, but there are horror stories about their bad service. On long road trips, range anxiety is very real. You have to plan the trip according to super charging network. With friends/family driving PHEV/GAS car on a road trip, you will always be missing out. If you don't have home charging facility, there will be lot of dependencies on super charger. If you have chargers at work, but due to pandemic, since many are working from home, it may not be convenient.
Overall, for city driving, or daily commute to work (once resumes), Tesla is best, super cost effective. But if you like road trips, in my experience, Tesla/EV is not very convenient.
Old 12-27-21, 09:24 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

Not a Tesla fan. For what you pay it seems very overpriced to me. My sister in law had a Model S. Paid close to $90k for it. The interior quality to me was lacking at that price point. I totally get the subjective nature in some people like REALLY minimal things while others want way more stuff. It's too plain to me and the fit and finish are no where near what a car manufacture who has been around sends out if the factory. If you love technology and 0-60 times that are insane. It seems like a winner. But Tesla seems more like a technology company making a car than an actual car company making a car (if that makes sense).

I also have several friends that have the model 3, X, and Y. I've been in them all and drove them. Again, acceleration is numbing, like taking off in a plane. But after that to me it looses any sense of feelings when driving. I get the world will eventually move to electric and then we'll have a whole new set of problems that people aren't thinking about or care about now, but that's another discussion. If it were me, one can't compare lexus/toyota quality to a tesla. Tesla's fit and finish simply is not there. When spending a large amount of money for something I want it to be as nice as it can be, and not something that when I look at it, I'm wondering why are there panel gaps or why does this not line up..etc. However, if you talk to my next door neighbor he has 4 Teslas... so he clearly likes them.

I keep spec'ing out a new NX to see if my wife wants to trade in her 18' NX, and I am literally picking every option and it's coming just shy of $60k for a 100% fully loaded vehicle which seems great to me. To me buying a car is more than just being able to have the latest tech at the time. Ever get into an older Tesla? The screen is laggy, the body/interior looks old..etc. 0-60 times still awesome but other than that they just fall so short to me.

I'll own an electric car when I can put my destination into the vehicle's nav, and recline the seat and go to sleep then wake up when I arrive. IE: Commuting to and from work. I will be the first to buy one when that can happen and it's safe to do so and not have any type of user interaction.

-Nigel
Old 12-28-21, 10:41 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
Tesla would be a hard sell still without a solid charging infrastructure, which current at least in the USA does not exist and probably won't for at least another 5 years more likely 10.

The Tesla is very minimalistic and has a poor stereo/audio system. Tesla excels in speed, battery range, and detailed statistics and data; nest information on a tablet even though some tasks are overly unnecessarily complicated.

There is a pretty good video comparing electric cars Tesla, VW, and Mustang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIPiqCZK1M
But of these three, I would choose Mustang but I am not ready for a fully electric car yet, I will buy a 2022 Lexus NX 350h.
Similar comparison here:

The following users liked this post:
Esuric86 (01-16-22)