2022 NX vs Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-21, 05:38 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2022 NX vs Model Y

Is anyone cross shopping?

Oddly, I've never driven or ridden in a Tesla. I have a couple of business partners who own one and think it's the greatest. But I read about their quirks and quality control, along with my paranoia when it comes to long road trips and electric cars – so I've never gotten off the blocks to seriously explore... The model Y LR with 20 inch wheels sure looks like it ticks all the boxes.

Curious to hear other's thoughts.
Old 10-06-21, 07:28 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Is anyone cross shopping?

Oddly, I've never driven or ridden in a Tesla. I have a couple of business partners who own one and think it's the greatest. But I read about their quirks and quality control, along with my paranoia when it comes to long road trips and electric cars – so I've never gotten off the blocks to seriously explore... The model Y LR with 20 inch wheels sure looks like it ticks all the boxes.

Curious to hear other's thoughts.
I had a model 3 for 2.5yrs. Most people will tell you that once you drive a Tesla, you'll never buy anything else. I went the other way. About 1yr into the 3 ownership, I sold my 2012 RX hybrid and bought another new 2019 RX hybrid, after the model Y was released. Another 1.5yrs later I got rid of the 3. I likely will never buy a Tesla again. If my dealer ever gets a new NX450h+, I will trade my RX hybrid for it.
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (10-06-21)
Old 10-06-21, 07:37 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by andye39s
I had a model 3 for 2.5yrs. Most people will tell you that once you drive a Tesla, you'll never buy anything else. I went the other way. About 1yr into the 3 ownership, I sold my 2012 RX hybrid and bought another new 2019 RX hybrid, after the model Y was released. Another 1.5yrs later I got rid of the 3. I likely will never buy a Tesla again. If my dealer ever gets a new NX450h+, I will trade my RX hybrid for it.
Interesting.
What was it about the 3 that makes you never want to buy another Tesla?
Old 10-06-21, 12:42 PM
ashschwin
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

We had a Model 3 in our garage for little less than a year as well and got rid of it. There was still electric range anxiety for long road trips coupled with the fact that even though we had the long range version which was supposed to deliver 310+ miles, we rarely saw 250 miles on a full charge. On a final personal note, I was not a big fan of driving an electric car as there was just no character or soul to the car in my opinion, just felt like driving a battery lol. Was able to convince my wife to get a 4Runner and much happier with it now and suits our needs much better.
Zeus69 (10-06-21)
Old 10-06-21, 02:13 PM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I am not a Tesla owner. However, I have done a lot of reading about their vehicles and their overall reliability seems to be pretty bad.
Old 10-06-21, 02:23 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 612 Likes on 413 Posts

I have not owned a Tesla before, but many Lexus vehicles. When you come from a Lexus with the build quality you can't talk bad about to a Tesla where the gaps on the left and right are different....
Old 10-06-21, 02:41 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Thanks for the comments.
Tesla is such a curiosity to me... Bottom of the ranks in JDPower Dependability (Lexus is 1st), yet at the top when "Would Buy Again" surveys are considered.
Old 10-06-21, 02:48 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,159 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by andye39s
Would never ever buy a vehicle that Consumer Reports rates 27th out of 28 in reliability versus Lexus #1. They say the Model X is one of the ten vehicles to avoid. J D Power ranks Tesla 30th out of 33 in dependability while Lexus has been #1 11 out of the last 12 years and #2 the other year. Harder to quantify their quality but go out to the web and you Tube and look at quality of paint uneven door, hood and trunk gaps. All being said can not wait for Lexus's first dependable and good looking EV.

Last edited by Freds430; 11-29-21 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-07-21, 08:44 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Interesting.
What was it about the 3 that makes you never want to buy another Tesla?
A bunch of things, big and small, that annoyed me to no end. The big things you kind of learn to live with, but it's those little things that irritate, be it bugs, quirks, or outright design flaws. Life is all about the little things right? I'll name a few below but it's far from all.

Tesla's advertised range is next to impossible to achieve. I've owned ~30 cars in my life. The 3 was the only car I've ever owned that I cannot get the advertised rating. This is one I can ignore, as I have a solar system so it costs me nothing to charge it, but it is a big one. Phantom braking (the car slamming on the brakes for no reason) was still a pretty regular occurrence 2.5yrs later. Could be dangerous when it does that at the wrong time. Despite having no engine noise, it is one of the loudest cars I've owned because of very high road noise from very minimal sound dampening material. My RX hybrid is far far quieter despite having a "loud V6".

The little stuff. Need to grab something quick from the glovebox? Must wait for the car to wakeup before the screen becomes responsive, because you can only open the glovebox from the screen. This car is constantly, and I mean constantly, fogging up, gotta fiddle with the climate control. The auto wipers do not work since it lacks a proper IR rain sensor, must fiddle with the screen to manually adjust. If parked outside while raining and you open the trunk, you get a gush of water into your trunk. The car sometimes chooses the wrong driver profile for you which includes seat and steering wheel position, you press the screen and choose your name, no big deal, but annoying.

As to why I won't be buying another, this company likes to double down on the flaws they're criticized on. The new S they even removed the turn signal stalk, the horn, and wiper control onto touch buttons on the steering wheel, and even removed the shifter So things are not likely to change, especially when their superfans love everything that they do.

Originally Posted by Freds430
Would never ever buy a vehicle that Consumer Reports rates 25th out of 26 in reliability versus Lexus #3. They say the Model X is one of the ten vehicles to avoid. J D Power ranks Tesla 30th out of 33 in dependability while Lexus has been #1 11 out of the last 12 years and #2 the other year. Harder to quantify their quality but go out to the web and you Tube and look at quality of paint uneven door, hood and trunk gaps. All being said can not wait for Lexus's first dependable and good looking EV.
I don't know how "reliability" is rated, but other than software bugs and quirks, I drove the 3 for ~40K miles and it has never gone back for repairs. And 0 maintenance. But yeah it was nowhere near the build quality of a Lexus.
The following 2 users liked this post by andye39s:
TRD75 (12-27-21), Zeus69 (10-07-21)
Old 10-08-21, 02:59 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider the Model Y over the NX 450h+ only if the Model Y gets a lot more subsidies in 2022 and the NX loses its subsidies.
Old 11-28-21, 11:15 AM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm honestly debating between the Lexus NX 250, Tesla Model Y, and the Toyota Venza. I've owned a Lexus for 10+ years and love everything about it except that it doesn't have enough cup holders (IS F Sport).

I've done a lot of research on the Model Y and the issue I have with them is their quality control issues. Everyone always says it's a tech company and not an auto company. That was fine the first year or two but by now they should have those issues fixed. Granted the reason we continue to hear about the issues is because it's more likely for someone to post about issues than any good things that happen.

I'm not willing to pay anymore that MSRP but at this point it's a very hard choice. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-21, 11:23 AM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GaLexusNut
I'm honestly debating between the Lexus NX 250, Tesla Model Y, and the Toyota Venza. I've owned a Lexus for 10+ years and love everything about it except that it doesn't have enough cup holders (IS F Sport).

I've done a lot of research on the Model Y and the issue I have with them is their quality control issues. Everyone always says it's a tech company and not an auto company. That was fine the first year or two but by now they should have those issues fixed. Granted the reason we continue to hear about the issues is because it's more likely for someone to post about issues than any good things that happen.

I'm not willing to pay anymore that MSRP but at this point it's a very hard choice. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated.
If your happy with what you have and seek reliability I'd stay with lexus. If you don't need the luxury go with the Toyota. This will be my first Lexus so I can only go by what I've read.
Old 11-28-21, 11:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

You will definitely pay MSRP for a Tesla because the price is the price, unfortunately for you Tesla has increased prices many times this year. There has been at least one more round of price increases since this chart was made.

Tesla and Lexus are very different cars. To me Lexus feels like an old friend but at the same time the tech is horribly dated and clunky, Tesla is at least 5 years ahead here. Fit and finish Lexus easily wins, fun to drive Tesla. Only way to know for sure is drive one see what you think.
Old 11-28-21, 12:01 PM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You will definitely pay MSRP for a Tesla because the price is the price, unfortunately for you Tesla has increased prices many times this year. There has been at least one more round of price increases since this chart was made.

Tesla and Lexus are very different cars. To me Lexus feels like an old friend but at the same time the tech is horribly dated and clunky, Tesla is at least 5 years ahead here. Fit and finish Lexus easily wins, fun to drive Tesla. Only way to know for sure is drive one see what you think.
You don't think the 2022 NX has up to date tech? The new infotainment system is leaps ahead of what they have offered previously. Personally the only reason tesla is on my list is cause I really want an EV. It would be nice to not have to worry about gas/maintenance much anymore, if at all. So Tesla has the tech and charging network going for them which surpass every other EV, much less SUV EV, on the market.
Old 11-28-21, 12:35 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 612 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by GaLexusNut
You don't think the 2022 NX has up to date tech? The new infotainment system is leaps ahead of what they have offered previously. Personally the only reason tesla is on my list is cause I really want an EV. It would be nice to not have to worry about gas/maintenance much anymore, if at all. So Tesla has the tech and charging network going for them which surpass every other EV, much less SUV EV, on the market.
You still have to maintain a Tesla, going EV doesn't mean that you don't need to do any maintenance on it. There are rumors of an EV NX coming a year later. I would say the infotainment system is not at par to the competitors. Wouldn't say they are beyond the competitors at all. The safety features are good definitely top on the list.

If Tesla can get a car correctly out of the line and not have to fix things afterwards, I may consider them. Even with the fixes, they are still far from good in quality of build. Driving so many Lexus vehicles, it's very hard for me to stand the quality of a Tesla. I would just wait for the Lexus EV
Freds430 (11-29-21)

Quick Reply: 2022 NX vs Model Y