NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

2022 NX *Test Drive* Vids - Post 'em!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-21, 09:16 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

No one is going to want to be a passenger in the NX, they won't be able to see the screen much (it's really tilted toward the driver) and that dead black dash with no stitching to break up that area is going to be a dull place to sit. Mark my words either next year or on the next mid re-fresh they will add some stitching. One reviewer mentioned this that a vehicle of this class and luxury brand really should have put some colored stitching along the driver's side top dash going all the way over to the passenger side. That little touch would go along way to increasing the feel of this mid entry luxury SUV.
Old 10-10-21, 10:20 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

I find it concerning that Lexus is giving reviewers pre production models to review. Like the ultrasonic blue 450h+ F sport had white and black seating and in the brochure you can’t get that combo. Then for another one the Lexus interface has old software or a pre production one with the white blank screen when you turned up the volume ****.

I mean Lexus didn’t have 1 completed vehicle for each of the models available? We’re only months away from arriving at dealerships. Anyone else think that’s strange? Maybe these won’t arrive till Feb at dealerships?

Last edited by Xanadu350; 10-10-21 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-10-21, 10:28 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I find it concerning that Lexus is giving reviewers pre production models to review. Like the ultrasonic blue 450h+ F sport had white and black seating and in the brochure you can’t get that combo. Then for another one the Lexus interface has old software or a pre production one with the white blank screen when you turned up the volume ****.

I mean Lexus didn’t have 1 completed vehicle for each of the models available? We’re only months away from arriving at dealerships. Anyone else think that’s strange? Maybe these won’t arrive till Feb at dealerships?
Maybe the reviews were done earlier this year. But they were not allowed to post them till they got closer to the release date?
Old 10-10-21, 03:36 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by RXWes
Maybe the reviews were done earlier this year. But they were not allowed to post them till they got closer to the release date?
I don't think so. Raiti's Rides posted his first video in the desert on Sept 25 saying come back on Oct 7th for full review.
Then Everyday Rides posted his on Sept 28th in the desert saying come back on Oct 7th for full review.

So I don't think it was months ago or even earlier this year, more like weeks apart.
At this point why would Lexus give them pre-production models to review?
Old 10-11-21, 03:02 PM
Kingspat
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leon360x
Old 10-14-21, 12:10 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Don't get caught up in the fact the 2022 Lexus NX450h+ is slower than its rivals; that's irrelevant for a luxury SUV that sprints to 60 in less than 6.0 seconds. This Lexus is quicker than most drivers will ever need it to be yet still comes standard with class-leading EV range. There's no question the plug-in hybrid version shows off the new 2022 NX in its finest form. Despite the NX450h+'s drawbacks, this Lexus deserves serious consideration alongside the Audi and Volvo."

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-test-review/

A positive review on the NX 450h+ by MT. The tested 0-60 mph time of 5.5 seconds was surprising. The one to get imo if you can get subsidies for the price to be comparable to the NX 350h.
Old 10-14-21, 03:17 PM
erigion
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
"Don't get caught up in the fact the 2022 Lexus NX450h+ is slower than its rivals; that's irrelevant for a luxury SUV that sprints to 60 in less than 6.0 seconds. This Lexus is quicker than most drivers will ever need it to be yet still comes standard with class-leading EV range. There's no question the plug-in hybrid version shows off the new 2022 NX in its finest form. Despite the NX450h+'s drawbacks, this Lexus deserves serious consideration alongside the Audi and Volvo."

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-test-review/

A positive review on the NX 450h+ by MT. The tested 0-60 mph time of 5.5 seconds was surprising. The one to get imo if you can get subsidies for the price to be comparable to the NX 350h.
If the RAV4 Prime is anything to go buy, dealer markups will eat up the majority, if not cost more, than the federal EV tax credit. Note, also, that it's a tax credit and not a rebate. So if you owe less than 7.5k in taxes (including withholding from your paycheck) then you won't get the full 7.5k back when you do your taxes. State programs may vary.
You must have a federal tax liability in the year you purchase an electric car or plug-in hybrid to claim the tax credit. The tax liability must meet or exceed the amount of credit you're requesting. If, for example, you owe $6,000 in federal taxes, you can only claim a credit of $6,000 – even if the vehicle qualifies for a full $7,500 tax credit. It’s important not to confuse your federal tax liability with the size of the check you have to write by April 15, as your income tax liability also reflects any amounts withheld from your paycheck throughout the year.
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...ax-credit-work
Old 10-14-21, 09:20 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

There’s also the Phase Out Period

Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D) Phase Out
The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009)

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-...30-and-irc-30d

Old 10-15-21, 04:40 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,160 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by erigion
Note, also, that it's a tax credit and not a rebate. So if you owe less than 7.5k in taxes (including withholding from your paycheck) then you won't get the full 7.5k back when you do your taxes. State programs may vary.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...ax-credit-work
Did not know this. Thought you could carry the rebate forward if you did not use it all the first year. Part of this 3.5 trillion dollar bill is increasing the federal tax credit to $12,500 and eliminating the limit of a manufacturer selling 200,000 units which at this time would only effect Tesla and GM.

For individuals, the credit can only be used to offset a taxpayer’s tax liability in the current tax year (i.e., there is no carryback or carry forward). The credit is nonrefundable, meaning the amount of the credit cannot exceed a taxpayer’s tax liability. For businesses, the tax credit attributable to depreciable property used for business or investment purposes is treated as part of the general business credit. The general business credit can be carried back one year or carried forward for up to 20 years. Credits are generally claimed by the taxpayer purchasing
Old 10-15-21, 11:09 AM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very much YMMV regarding the subsidies provided by the federal and state governments. Here in the Bay Area (California), there are additional subsidies that when combined with the $7.5K federal tax credit, can net you savings over $10K. So for me, I can potentially buy a NX 450h+ for around the same price of a NX 350h. I honestly would not consider the 450h+ without the subsidies.

Dealer mark-ups are another issue for sure, but you need to have the patience to wait it out for a dealership willing to sell at/near MSRP. I understand this might not apply to most people outside of California, but there are Toyota dealerships willing to sell the RAV4 Prime at MSRP. There is a long wait though (~3-5 months) after joining the waitlist. Right now I am getting on any Lexus dealership in California with a waitlist and will wait and see which one will be willing to sell at/near MSRP when the time comes to buy.

I wonder if the 200k phase out limit applies separately for Lexus or is it part of Toyota's overall total. Expected to cross 200k in Q2 2022: https://evadoption.com/ev-sales/fede...-by-automaker/

I am concerned that the new bill being passed will reduce the federal tax credit for the 450h+ in 2022. If Tesla gets the $12.5K federal tax credit, I will most likely buy the Model Y for around the same price as the NX 350h instead. And once again, I would not buy the Model Y without the subsidies.

Best of luck to everyone interested buying the 450h+.

Old 10-15-21, 11:17 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Did not know this. Thought you could carry the rebate forward if you did not use it all the first year. Part of this 3.5 trillion dollar bill is increasing the federal tax credit to $12,500 and eliminating the limit of a manufacturer selling 200,000 units which at this time would only effect Tesla and GM.

For individuals, the credit can only be used to offset a taxpayer’s tax liability in the current tax year (i.e., there is no carryback or carry forward). The credit is nonrefundable, meaning the amount of the credit cannot exceed a taxpayer’s tax liability. For businesses, the tax credit attributable to depreciable property used for business or investment purposes is treated as part of the general business credit. The general business credit can be carried back one year or carried forward for up to 20 years. Credits are generally claimed by the taxpayer purchasing
Yes, the EV tax credit must be claimed in a single year's filing, unlike the residential solar system which can be carried over if you can't claim the entire 26% in a single year.

Many people are still saying you must "owe" the $7500 to get the full $7500 EV tax credit back. It's simply not the case. If after all your deductions your federal tax for the year is $7500, you'll get the full $7500. If you've already paid the $7500 through federal tax witholding in your regular paychecks, you get a $7500 check from Uncle Sam; if you withhold nothing on your paycheck and actually *owe* Uncle Sam $7500, then it becomes $0 owed.

Edit: let me add the standard disclaimer. I'm no tax professional, please do consult your own tax professional. However, the NX450h will be the 4th time I claim the EV tax credit, if I manage to get my hands on one.

Last edited by andye39s; 10-15-21 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 11:30 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

I’m surprised all the reviews have faded so quickly.
Old 10-20-21, 10:34 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by andye39s
However, the NX450h will be the 4th time I claim the EV tax credit, if I manage to get my hands on one.
When you claimed the credit. How did the processing go?

I use Turbo Tax. Last year I paid almost 10K in Taxes. So if I purchase a 450h. I apply for the credit. So would my return be accepted right away like normal? Or would I have to wait for the IRS to verify the credit? Then later approve the return?
Old 10-20-21, 12:38 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 613 Likes on 414 Posts

Don't know how to embed video. But here is the link:

Last edited by lsft; 10-20-21 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-21-21, 07:04 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

2022 Lexus NX350 Turbo First Test: A Clear Improvement, But No Segment Leader

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...eNewsMTArticle

Quick Reply: 2022 NX *Test Drive* Vids - Post 'em!