NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

2022 NX *Test Drive* Vids - Post 'em!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-21, 09:45 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2022 NX *Test Drive* Vids - Post 'em!

NX 350 F-Sport

NX 450h+

Last edited by Zeus69; 10-06-21 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-06-21, 10:59 PM
Leon360x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite a lot videos are released today, but mostly are 450h+, I want to see more about 350h.

Old 10-07-21, 02:11 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you for uploading these videos. Nice to be able to access them all in one place.

Just finished watching all four videos. The second video is probably the most critical.

Here are my takeaways -- and they may not be entirely accurate so please politely correct anything I may have misquoted...

Overall, the 2022 NX reviews are positive. On the other hand, nobody is exactly raving about this vehicle.

The overall consensus seems to be that the ride and handling are excellent. The interior is quiet. Drive is smooooth. Visibility is excellent. Seats are VERY comfortable. The safety systems included are first-rate and on par with the best in the industry. Steering wheel is fully heated and the ventilated seats work exceptionally well (according to one reviewer).

The "Hey Lexus" assistant is very quick and capable.

There are quite a few negatives that were brought up that include...

* Not enough luxury feel inside the vehicle. Too much scratchable piano black. Not enough stitching.
* Quirky shifter
* No soft close doors (they are driving a prototype so that may be introduced in the final version)
* Infotainment system, at times, can be cumbersome to navigate through -- especially when navigating through SiriusXM. No tuning **** or home button.
* Infotainment screen does not extend out to the corner borders (but is full screen for all its functions and maps)
* Laggy climate control *****
* Some system functions completely white out the Infotainment screen temporarily as you adjust -- most notably, adjusting volume. That's not good.
* No power rear flip seats on the battery vehicles
* Passenger front seat lacks extensive comfort/adjustability controls of driver seat
* Sluggish 0-60 acceleration on the 2.4 turbo model
* No panoramic roof on the F-Sport Plug-In
* No power extending thigh cushioning on seat as in other Lexus vehicles
* The HUD is very well rated (though smaller than others), but its controls block the dash cluster when in use. This also occurs while in a phone call.

The third video confirms there are power-folding side mirrors. Yeah!

Not one review on the Mark Levinson system. Still looking through more video reviews so perhaps one of them has thoughts on it.

Look at what I found...

Impressions are that it's a good system, but not an S-tier system (which is the highest-rank) that provides the "WoW" factor you might expect from the more expensive luxury brands. I'm listening to the samples on Apple Pro Max headphones (with noise-canceling) and I can pick up some nice boomy bass for those who enjoy it. It sounds very good, but I don't know how well the actual audio translates to the home listener.

=========

Overall -- and this is just my opinion -- the 2022 NX is a nice luxury vehicle with a comfortable drive. It's just not very exciting. Comparing it to say, the GV70, it really pales in interior luxury and tech. However, I would feel more confident in the NX in terms of overall reliability.

This video briefly compares the NX to the GENESIS GV70 as far as overall luxury and pricing

As someone who is torn between the Hybrid and Plug-In models, I am now leaning towards the latter in luxury trim since it comes with a more powerful engine and more accelerating/passing power. However, I know that will be a difficult vehicle to obtain. One reviewer noted he was getting 37 miles electric which is very nice.

Last edited by NJRonbo; 10-07-21 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-07-21, 03:22 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

This is probably the best "rave" review so far

There are almost a dozen more YouTube reviews posted this morning that I didn't want hog up my personal space posting here.

I did want to include this from my favorite YouTube car reviewer, Unfortunately, he has not posted overall scores yet but it is a very comprehensive review that I am certain he will update shortly. This is a guy you would want to subscribe to on your YouTube feed if you enjoy quality vehicle reviews

Last edited by NJRonbo; 10-07-21 at 03:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Solara350 (10-11-21)
Old 10-07-21, 08:17 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

The infotainment and steering wheel control are a mixed bag as I suspected. Skip to minute 9 on the video from TheStraightPipes. I'm not so enthused any more, and all future Lexus models with have this system..
Old 10-07-21, 08:37 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by andye39s
The infotainment and steering wheel control are a mixed bag as I suspected. Skip to minute 9 on the video from TheStraightPipes. I'm not so enthused any more, and all future Lexus models with have this system..

Andy, I have this awful feeling about the NX. I either buy one and have the comfort of knowing I own a vehicle that will serve me reliably for years to come, or I buy something that's just more exciting and take my chances with service.

There is nothing about this vehicle that is head-turning. Lexus played it very safe where they had the chance to hit it out of the park. It's not a bad vehicle by any means -- just doesn't look fun to drive.
Old 10-07-21, 08:41 AM
supergtu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andye39s
I had much higher hopes for the infotainment redesign. Start with the basics- you need a volume **** (check), tuning **** (no), and home button (no). You need a nice HD screen (check). You need wireless and wired car play and android auto (check). You need a fast processor with minimal to no lag on startup and in day to day use (tbd). And maybe most significantly, make the UI simple and intuitive (tbd).

It boggles my mind that in 2021, they can't implement all these items in an infotainment system. I mean, just copy and paste from all the other good systems and get it right. Also, the fact that the built in nav is now subscription based after the trial period bothers me on a 50k plus vehicle.
Old 10-07-21, 09:01 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Andy, I have this awful feeling about the NX. I either buy one and have the comfort of knowing I own a vehicle that will serve me reliably for years to come, or I buy something that's just more exciting and take my chances with service.

There is nothing about this vehicle that is head-turning. Lexus played it very safe where they had the chance to hit it out of the park. It's not a bad vehicle by any means -- just doesn't look fun to drive.
Lexus has always been very conservative, which is no doubt one of the reasons their cars are so reliable. Redline Review is quite underwhelmed with the NX350 turbo's performance, since all the European's base turbo 4 all blow it out of the water in a straight line. The European's engines are highly tuned and generally not very long lasting, whereas Lexus are highly detuned and reliable. For the most part Lexus is not catering to the performance crowd, and it's not changing.

Originally Posted by supergtu
I had much higher hopes for the infotainment redesign. Start with the basics- you need a volume **** (check), tuning **** (no), and home button (no). You need a nice HD screen (check). You need wireless and wired car play and android auto (check). You need a fast processor with minimal to no lag on startup and in day to day use (tbd). And maybe most significantly, make the UI simple and intuitive (tbd).

It boggles my mind that in 2021, they can't implement all these items in an infotainment system. I mean, just copy and paste from all the other good systems and get it right. Also, the fact that the built in nav is now subscription based after the trial period bothers me on a 50k plus vehicle.
Lexus is not the only one. Unfortunately, certain functionality requiring a subscription will the the norm, even on a Hyundai. It is a bit understandable because nearly every car will require cellular connection for some of the functionalities, and that cellular connection is not free.
Old 10-07-21, 03:13 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,160 Likes on 750 Posts

Very good review from CNET.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-drive-review/
Old 10-07-21, 03:42 PM
erigion
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone seen if the hybrids recommend premium gas? I'd assume not since they're based on the Highlander and RAV4 prime systems and neither of those does but the RXh recommends premium and Motor Trends initial preview from a few months ago says premium is recommended

With the two hybrid models, the NX hews closely to its RAV4 cousin. The NX350h is, essentially, a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid with a more powerful electric motor borrowed from the larger Lexus RX450h and its 2.5-liter gas engine tuned to run on premium fuel.
​​​​​​​https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...t-look-review/
Old 10-07-21, 04:22 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by supergtu
Also, the fact that the built in nav is now subscription based after the trial period bothers me on a 50k plus vehicle.
If you don't choose to pay for a navigation subscription, the navigation system will still work. For the last few years, Lexus has been using live map updates from the cloud, which includes updated map data, new points of interest, etc. If you don't pay for a subscription after the trial period ends, the navigation system will just revert to using the data base that was loaded into the car when it was built. And, if you don't want to pay for a subscription, you have 2 choices. You can pay for a one-time map update, or you can use the older map data that was in the car when you bought it, which is the way that navigation systems always worked before the current cloud-based system.

Old 10-07-21, 04:29 PM
erigion
Driver School Candidate

@NJRonbo

The Mark Levinson test from Daily Motor has volume adjustments where the entire screen isn't covered with the volume level. It's just a box in the upper right corner. It doesn't look like you can get the upgraded sound system in the 450+ but it would be weird to have two completely different systems because of that. One of those infotainment systems has to be on an older firmware version. Hopefully, it's the Straight Pipes video that has the old version.

No chance they'll include soft-close doors. I don't think any vehicle in this class has them.

Looks like it's confirmed that there's no way to fold down the rear seats from the tailgate area without actually reaching forward and grabbed the lever on the rear seats unless you get the heated rear seat option which gives you electronically folding seats. What a great bit of cheapness from Toyota/Lexus.

Infotainment still has lag and choppiness but that's to be expected. I'll be surprised when lag and choppiness don't exist in a vehicle's infotainment system.

All the warnings and notifications in the dashboard are annoying and stupid but to be expected based on other Lexus vehicles. Somehow I doubt that the OTA updates the infotainment system can receive can affect the dashboard display.
The following users liked this post:
Zeus69 (10-07-21)
Old 10-08-21, 10:07 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Not a video review and not exactly a complimentary review for the new NX

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...BE5ECBA42FE4E8

Old 10-08-21, 05:24 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

The video from Straight Pipes is making me re think my decision on the NX. I don’t like how some of the Lexus interface works while driving. So every time I turn the volume **** up or down a blank white screen will appear for a few seconds? No that’s a deal breaker for me. Does this also work the same with the steering wheel control for volume?
Old 10-09-21, 10:00 AM
erigion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
The video from Straight Pipes is making me re think my decision on the NX. I don’t like how some of the Lexus interface works while driving. So every time I turn the volume **** up or down a blank white screen will appear for a few seconds? No that’s a deal breaker for me. Does this also work the same with the steering wheel control for volume?
That appears to be old firmware. On both of the sound system test videos from Daily Motor, adjusting the volume only creates a small rectangular box in the upper right hand corner of the 14in display.

Quick Reply: 2022 NX *Test Drive* Vids - Post 'em!