NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Don't expect to buy an NX possibly before February 2022

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 11:29 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Don't expect to buy an NX possibly before February 2022

Just got off the phone with my dealer after spending most of the morning watching every YouTube review that exists on the 2022 NX.

I was told that Lexus is telling their dealers that due to the semiconductor chip and parts shortage, new vehicles are not currently being built.

My local dealer tells me he usually gets 350 new vehicles per week and now only gets 85.

They are going to be selling 2021 NX's through December of this year.

Currently, the ETA that dealerships are being given on receiving the first batch of 2022 NX vehicles is February 2022.

However, my guy did tell me that is long-term speculation. He says, slowly, he sees more vehicles ("slides") being added to the board meaning that there is a sense of production beginning to ramp up. However, at the same time, he confessed (as we all know) that the industry has never seen a slump like this one.

The dealers around here won't take preorders. They are afraid of over-promising customers vehicles that may never arrive. They would rather get a solid count of what they are expecting to ensure that any customer that preorders a vehicle gets one. Of course, there have already been stories of people putting down a deposit for an NX, so some dealerships are apparently accepting preorders sight unseen.
The following users liked this post:
mandm904 (11-03-21)
Old 10-07-21, 12:08 PM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Just got off the phone with my dealer after spending most of the morning watching every YouTube review that exists on the 2022 NX.

I was told that Lexus is telling their dealers that due to the semiconductor chip and parts shortage, new vehicles are not currently being built.

My local dealer tells me he usually gets 350 new vehicles per week and now only gets 85.

They are going to be selling 2021 NX's through December of this year.

Currently, the ETA that dealerships are being given on receiving the first batch of 2022 NX vehicles is February 2022.

However, my guy did tell me that is long-term speculation. He says, slowly, he sees more vehicles ("slides") being added to the board meaning that there is a sense of production beginning to ramp up. However, at the same time, he confessed (as we all know) that the industry has never seen a slump like this one.

The dealers around here won't take preorders. They are afraid of over-promising customers vehicles that may never arrive. They would rather get a solid count of what they are expecting to ensure that any customer that preorders a vehicle gets one. Of course, there have already been stories of people putting down a deposit for an NX, so some dealerships are apparently accepting preorders sight unseen.
Not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying because one dealer is not taking deposit no one else is or should? Dealerships can operate differently from one another.

I didn't "preorder" anything. They were clear up front that Lexus is not accepting custom orders. My deposit is simply to have my name on their list. When they get an allocation from Lexus, they go down the list. It's as simple as that. They stopped taking deposits back in end of August.

Bottom line is nobody knows anything right now. My salesman told me middle of October is when Lexus will have a ride and drive event at the Metlife stadium for the dealership personnel. He said maybe they'll know more then.

Last edited by andye39s; 10-07-21 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-07-21, 12:23 PM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by andye39s
Not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying because one dealer is not taking deposit no one else is or should? Dealerships can operate differently from one another.
No, I think if you re-read my message I didn't indicate that anywhere.

I could care less who takes deposits and who doesn't. I already have my name on two dealer lists and I didn't have to leave any deposit. They know I am interested in the vehicle, they have been both been giving me updates, and as soon as they know what inventory they are going to receive, they are going to call me in and have me build it.

I think the required deposit is a dealership decision at this stage. Some will require you to come in and leave a deposit. Others, such as in my area, don't want customers ordering vehicles and leaving deposits until they know what inventory they will have on hand. They will, however, gladly put your name on a list.

I am simply giving everyone a "heads up" on the latest information I received. There was a company meeting this past weekend and dealers were told not to expect the 2022 NX until February. However, there was a bit of hope given by the salesman I talked with in that production could ramp up sooner than that.

Last edited by NJRonbo; 10-07-21 at 12:31 PM.
mandm904 (11-03-21)
Old 10-07-21, 12:54 PM
bottlepop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From their newest press release today,

"The all-new 2022 NX lineup is expected in showrooms as early as December 2021 with production beginning at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada in early 2022."

Fits in with the current information. I'm guessing the Delta variant pushed the schedule back 2-3 months, chip shortage withstanding.
NJRonbo (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21, 01:02 PM
andye39s
Driver

No, I think if you re-read my message I didn't indicate that anywhere.

I could care less who takes deposits and who doesn't. I already have my name on two dealer lists and I didn't have to leave any deposit. They know I am interested in the vehicle, they have been both been giving me updates, and as soon as they know what inventory they are going to receive, they are going to call me in and have me build it.

I think the required deposit is a dealership decision at this stage. Some will require you to come in and leave a deposit. Others, such as in my area, don't want customers ordering vehicles and leaving deposits until they know what inventory they will have on hand. They will, however, gladly put your name on a list.

I gotta say, Tesla, the Tesla reps are great as they couldn't care less what you do lol.

I am simply giving everyone a "heads up" on the latest information I received. There was a company meeting this past weekend and dealers were told not to expect the 2022 NX until February. However, there was a bit of hope given by the salesman I talked with in that production could ramp up sooner than that.
I've dealt with many car salesman in my life. Most are sleazy as one can expect, yes including some Lexus dealerships and salesmen, and I can smell their BS from miles away.
Old 10-07-21, 01:06 PM
NJRonbo
Driver

I've dealt with many car salesman in my life. Most are sleazy as one can expect, yes including some Lexus dealerships and salesmen, and I can smell their BS from miles away.
Okay, granted. I agree with you on that wholeheartedly. However, I don't know what that has to do with my information.
Old 10-07-21, 03:13 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Okay, granted. I agree with you on that wholeheartedly. However, I don't know what that has to do with my information.
Salesman are like anybody else. So are there just to sell. Some are new and don't know too much. So they preach the company line. The internet sales guy I talked to when my RX was in for service. Gave me a printed brochure. Said he would let me know when he has one come in. But to not expect one before December.
Old 10-07-21, 03:18 PM
NJRonbo
Driver

Originally Posted by RXWes
Salesman are like anybody else. So are there just to sell. Some are new and don't know too much. So they preach the company line. The internet sales guy I talked to when my RX was in for service. Gave me a printed brochure. Said he would let me know when he has one come in. But to not expect one before December.
So, the information we are getting is similar. December arrival is optimistic. February could be realistic if the semiconductor shortage doesn't improve.

I have a good sales rep at my Lexus dealership. I don't worry that the information he's passing on isn't honest.
Old 10-07-21, 05:20 PM
bottlepop
Driver School Candidate

So, the information we are getting is similar. December arrival is optimistic. February could be realistic if the semiconductor shortage doesn't improve.
Lexus has known about supply issues for a good while and I can't think they unknowingly let these launch dates slip for a much anticipated released. The press release mentioned Canadian factory but according to the reviewers and media, the first batch will come from Japan and then slowly transition to Canadian made. So perhaps there's a smaller (than originally planned) Japan-made batch reaching the showrooms in December, be it for early waitlist sale or just influencer/marketing/showroom stuff. Then the main production capacity early next year. I'm hearing it is about a 12-month transition so sounds like there is definitely another production source initially.
Old 10-07-21, 08:06 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-08-21, 07:51 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bottlepop
Lexus has known about supply issues for a good while and I can't think they unknowingly let these launch dates slip for a much anticipated released. The press release mentioned Canadian factory but according to the reviewers and media, the first batch will come from Japan and then slowly transition to Canadian made. So perhaps there's a smaller (than originally planned) Japan-made batch reaching the showrooms in December, be it for early waitlist sale or just influencer/marketing/showroom stuff. Then the main production capacity early next year. I'm hearing it is about a 12-month transition so sounds like there is definitely another production source initially.
Given the bottle neck situation at the ports, wouldn't you think that December arrivals would already be "on the water" (or at least very close to being on the water) , and if they're already on the water, shouldn't the dealers already know exactly what they have coming (including VIN numbers)?

I can understand the not sure exactly WHEN they'll arrive, who knows when anything will arrive, if it's coming in through a port.
Old 10-08-21, 10:10 AM
bottlepop
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
Given the bottle neck situation at the ports, wouldn't you think that December arrivals would already be "on the water" (or at least very close to being on the water) , and if they're already on the water, shouldn't the dealers already know exactly what they have coming (including VIN numbers)?

I can understand the not sure exactly WHEN they'll arrive, who knows when anything will arrive, if it's coming in through a port.
No comment on when they'll arrive but my post was mainly to show they are making cars already at whatever scale. Lexus from all accounts isn't like GM that will build incomplete cars out and leave them there. So whenever that batch arrives could at least be a hopeful "December to Remember" for some.

As for inability to search for inventory, maybe it's because they don't want one car waitlisted/claimed by like ten dealers before it's even arrived. Maybe it will appear after their internal dealer event this month.
Old 10-08-21, 12:12 PM
andye39s
Driver

Complete speculation on my part, but what they fed you sounds like to me they're setting up for a future pitch. I've head it all and it sounds very typical.

My Lexus sales guy is straight up and I can skip through the usual BS with him and the dealership. They decided to require a deposit to make sure those on the list are serious as not to waste anyone's time. It appears they're right as you yourself are still kicking tires and yet are on 2 "lists".
Old 10-08-21, 12:16 PM
NJRonbo
Driver

Complete speculation on my part, but what they fed you sounds like to me they're setting up for a future pitch. I've head it all and it sounds very typical.

My Lexus sales guy is straight up and I can skip through the usual BS with him and the dealership. They decided to require a deposit to make sure those on the list are serious as not to waste anyone's time. It appears they're right as you yourself are still kicking tires and yet are on 2 "lists".
That is complete speculation on your part as you don't understand the circumstances and perhaps pissed off you had to leave a deposit where others didn't.

I know one of the two Lexus dealers. This is not a stranger. So, I know I am not getting BS'd.

And both Lexus dealerships in my area have now told me that they aren't taking deposits until they know what inventory they are getting. That's their policy.

You can speculate anything you want but it sounds like bitter grapes.
Old 10-08-21, 12:53 PM
andye39s
Driver

That is complete speculation on your part as you don't understand the circumstances and perhaps pissed off you had to leave a deposit where others didn't.

I know one of the two Lexus dealers. This is not a stranger. So, I know I am not getting BS'd.

And both Lexus dealerships in my area have now told me that they aren't taking deposits until they know what inventory they are getting. That's their policy.

You can speculate anything you want but it sounds like bitter grapes.
I sounded pissed to you? What am I pissed at, for having to leave a deposit and am so very jealous of you

Quick Reply: Don't expect to buy an NX possibly before February 2022