NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Math vs PHEV

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-21 | 06:20 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by RXWes
Quick search shows 8 Primes in Florida. One at the dealership right up the street. Seven SE and one XSE.

The closest Low Emission state from Florida is New Jersey. Which has 60 Primes.
I found one yesterday locally, a quick check this morning shows it is already gone and the closest prime to me is 1500 mi's away.

What search engine are you using? What do mean by right up the street, are you near Miami? JM Lexus is a 3 1/2 hr drive for me.
Old 10-29-21 | 06:21 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by lesz
The information that you find on dealer websites may or may not represent the actual inventory that dealers have right now, and, more often than not, it will not represent the actual inventories that dealers have.

As dealers throughout the country have faced serious problems with being able to get cars, what they have been doing is including on their websites cars that they have ordered but that they have not actually received. Often, cars that they show on their websites include cars that they have already sold, even if those cars have not actually arrived at the dealerships.

By showing cars that they don't actually have in their inventories, what dealers are hoping to do is get people to come to their dealerships, to make internet inquiries, and to make phone calls to the dealership. Once potential customers have made contact with the dealership, it gives the dealership the opportunity to try to sell those potential customers cars that they actually do have, both new and used, or to agree to buy cars that the dealership expects to get at some point in the future.

About a week a go, I checked the website of a local Toyota dealer. Their website showed 2 RAV4 Primes and 6 RAV4 Hybrids. When I stopped at the dealership, they actually had no RAV4s at all. They had no RAV4 Primes, no RAV4 Hybrids or even gas powered RAV4s. The cars that were on their website were all cars that they had already sold or ones that they are expecting to get at some point in the future, and most of those already had buyers lined up. The actual inventory available at the dealership included 1 Camry, 2 Corollas, 1 Venza, 1 Tundra, and 1 Tacoma. And several of those cars already had sold signs on their windshields.
You've nailed it. great post!!
Old 10-29-21 | 07:13 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

It’s a desperate situation right now especially if your in the market to buy a new vehicle.
Old 10-29-21 | 07:23 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I found one yesterday locally, a quick check this morning shows it is already gone and the closest prime to me is 1500 mi's away.

What search engine are you using? What do mean by right up the street, are you near Miami? JM Lexus is a 3 1/2 hr drive for me.
Cars and Autotrader are the two I use. I am up in Melbourne. I have two Toyota dealers within 15 miles from me. And a Lexus dealer literally across the street.

I tried to buy my my first Lexus from JM Lexus. But ended up buying my first RX300 at Lexus of Kendall. Not sure how many RAV4s you would find at JMLexus.

Reddit has a Forum for the RAV4 Prime. With plenty of people talking about dealers who ship out of state.

Toyota RAV4 Prime news and discussion (reddit.com)
Old 10-29-21 | 09:55 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

The Al Hendrickson dealership in Coconut Creek. Their web page shows two XSE primes on the lot.
Old 10-29-21 | 12:03 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

The information that you find on dealer websites may or may not represent the actual inventory that dealers have right now, and, more often than not, it will not represent the actual inventories that dealers have.

As dealers throughout the country have faced serious problems with being able to get cars, what they have been doing is including on their websites cars that they have ordered but that they have not actually received. Often, cars that they show on their websites include cars that they have already sold, even if those cars have not actually arrived at the dealerships.

By showing cars that they don't actually have in their inventories, what dealers are hoping to do is get people to come to their dealerships, to make internet inquiries, and to make phone calls to the dealership. Once potential customers have made contact with the dealership, it gives the dealership the opportunity to try to sell those potential customers cars that they actually do have, both new and used, or to agree to buy cars that the dealership expects to get at some point in the future.

About a week a go, I checked the website of a local Toyota dealer. Their website showed 2 RAV4 Primes and 6 RAV4 Hybrids. When I stopped at the dealership, they actually had no RAV4s at all. They had no RAV4 Primes, no RAV4 Hybrids or even gas powered RAV4s. The cars that were on their website were all cars that they had already sold or ones that they are expecting to get at some point in the future, and most of those already had buyers lined up. The actual inventory available at the dealership included 1 Camry, 2 Corollas, 1 Venza, 1 Tundra, and 1 Tacoma. And several of those cars already had sold signs on their windshields.
It's been my experience lately, that if a dealers web site has the Monroney window sticker available to see on line, the vehicle is usually in stock. If I get any other type of response to clicking on the "Window Sticker" button, then it's not in stock, or maybe on order or even in transit.
Old 10-30-21 | 12:04 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by RXWes
The Al Hendrickson dealership in Coconut Creek. Their web page shows two XSE primes on the lot.
Appreciate the info, but so you now I live on the west coast and not desperate enough to drive 4 hrs to Miami yet. It's good news though, maybe production is inching higher since Toyota is getting more competition with Kia and Hyundai releasing Sante Fe and Tucson phev's also Ionic5 and EV6 BEV's.
Old 10-31-21 | 07:44 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Did my bi-annual service at the local Lexus store this past week. It's a combo Lexus/Toyota building. I was amazed at how few cars of either brand were on the lot! Didn't hang around or look too closely, but Lexus appeared to have maybe 3 RXs, a UX, 2 ES. The showroom had 1 car, a used LC convertible. Normally they have 6 cars in there. The Toyota side usually has a bunch of cars across the front next to the road. There were none. As I was leaving, a truckload of Corollas arrived. However, stock looked really thin.
Old 11-01-21 | 07:41 PM
erigion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Did my bi-annual service at the local Lexus store this past week. It's a combo Lexus/Toyota building. I was amazed at how few cars of either brand were on the lot! Didn't hang around or look too closely, but Lexus appeared to have maybe 3 RXs, a UX, 2 ES. The showroom had 1 car, a used LC convertible. Normally they have 6 cars in there. The Toyota side usually has a bunch of cars across the front next to the road. There were none. As I was leaving, a truckload of Corollas arrived. However, stock looked really thin.
Toyota cut production by 40% in September and October, and announced a 15% cut in November. Don't know if those cuts include Lexus but even if they don't I'm sure Lexus is affected by supply shortages as well.
Old 11-02-21 | 05:12 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

My local Lexus dealer has a handful of each model. About 15 RX, and about 25 of the NX.

I wonder what the discount will be on the old NXs when the new ones are finally on the lot?
Old 12-02-21 | 10:14 PM
midcow3
Racer

Originally Posted by deadduck
Hi,

Been giving this car some thought but I have a math problem, the price of electricity.

The battery is 18KwH and gets 36 miles, so roughly 2 miles / KwH. Prices for electricity in my part of Californa, standard plan, is .31/Kwh (actually it might be slightly higher). MPG for the hybrid is 39 MPG and the lowest premium price I could find was $4.69/Gallon. Now, the math,

Hybrid:
4.69/39.= 0.1202 mile (12 cents / mile).

PHEV
.31 / 2 = 15.5 cents / mile.

In other words, without solar, or a special plan, electricity costs more than gas.

I believe you can get a lower electricity price, maybe as low as .14/KwH but you'll pay some of it back in, much, higher rates for your regular electricity use.

I was kind of excited for this vehicle but given that they'll likely be jacked up, I'm not seeing it.

Am I missing something?
A couple of points to consider:
(1) There is some discussion on whether regular gas can be used rather than premium. The 2022 Toyota RAV Prime has the exact same engine and electric motors that the 2022 NX 450h has and it can run on regular gas. The Canadian 2022 Lexus NX manual actually says you can use regular gas; USA 2022 Lexus NX manual not published yet.

(2) The 84 MPGe is only for the first 36 miles, then the hybrid mileage drops to 30 city and 28 highway ( this is significantly less than the 2022 NX 350h city 41 and highway 37 and Lexus doesn't want you to find this information easily, I wonder why ??)

So bottom line, if you want great mileage get the 2022 Lexus NX 350h

Old 12-03-21 | 06:32 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by midcow3
A couple of points to consider:
(1) There is some discussion on whether regular gas can be used rather than premium. The 2022 Toyota RAV Prime has the exact same engine and electric motors that the 2022 NX 450h has and it can run on regular gas. The Canadian 2022 Lexus NX manual actually says you can use regular gas; USA 2022 Lexus NX manual not published yet.

(2) The 84 MPGe is only for the first 36 miles, then the hybrid mileage drops to 30 city and 28 highway ( this is significantly less than the 2022 NX 350h city 41 and highway 37 and Lexus doesn't want you to find this information easily, I wonder why ??)

So bottom line, if you want great mileage get the 2022 Lexus NX 350h
The problem with the 350h is you can’t get the f sport and that means no adaptive suspension.
Old 12-03-21 | 07:08 AM
midcow3
Racer

Angry

About a week a go, I checked the website of a local Toyota dealer. Their website showed 2 RAV4 Primes and 6 RAV4 Hybrids. When I stopped at the dealership, they actually had no RAV4s at all. They had no RAV4 Primes, no RAV4 Hybrids or even gas powered RAV4s. The cars that were on their website were all cars that they had already sold or ones that they are expecting to get at some point in the future, and most of those already had buyers lined up. The actual inventory available at the dealership includ very highed 1 Camry, 2 Corollas, 1 Venza, 1 Tundra, and 1 Tacoma. And several of those cars already had sold signs on their windshields.
Inventory is low and you are correct because of chip shortage and COVID-19 dealerships lowered inventory levels on hand. The really good news though is that if you have a trade-in the trade-in values are phenomenally high. I am getting 72% of the original price trade-in for a 2016 Golf R; If you look a cars.com the RSV4 Prime is 50-60K$. As long as Lexus doesn't pull the ADM trick and keeps the prices at MSRP I am good.