NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Mark Levinson on 450h+ F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-21, 05:50 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 172 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Mark Levinson on 450h+ F Sport

Does anyone have any idea if the Mark Levinson is even an option on the 450h+ F Sport?

The online reviews (prototypes) seem to have the regular (no ML badge) speakers and the options/packages list doesn't seem to allow for it, so its either standard (doubtful) or not available (odd):

Thanks!
Old 10-27-21, 07:52 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

I suspect the new Mark Levinson setup for the NX will not fit in the 450h+, which is why it is not in the option list.

There was a post here earlier that showed the picture of the speaker locations for the ML system, and the subwoofer housing takes up a lot of room underneath the cargo area. It's the same area required for the extra batteries for the plugin, so we may never see the ML being an option for the 450h+.
The following users liked this post:
ct6978 (10-27-21)
Old 10-27-21, 08:00 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Thank you, that (very sadly) makes sense......the ML system was always a worthwhile upgrade IMO, but in this case the plug in option wins out.
Old 10-27-21, 08:10 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah, you could always upgrade the speakers, and add a separate subwoofer if the stock system doesn't do it for you; but a heck lot more difficult to add a plugin option.

I'm more bugged by the fact you can't get the pano roof with the 450h+ too; but some people may not care.
Old 10-27-21, 08:31 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

No pano is actually a plus for us. The NX is for my wife, she's a fan of regular sunroofs, but we both like it darker inside and never open the shade. I prefer headroom and love that my RCF doesn't have a sunroof. I'm the ML fan and am trying to balance features I want to see when I drive it vs. what she really cares about. Glad she agreed to the F Sport!

Thanks again for your help, I haven't had a chance to review the older posts here.
Old 10-28-21, 10:43 AM
Blastphemy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ct6978
Does anyone have any idea if the Mark Levinson is even an option on the 450h+ F Sport?

The online reviews (prototypes) seem to have the regular (no ML badge) speakers and the options/packages list doesn't seem to allow for it, so its either standard (doubtful) or not available (odd):
The Lexus Order Sheet for the 2022 NX shows:

Requires Luxury Package or Premium Package:
• Mark Levinson® 17-speaker, 10-channel, 1,500- watt Premium Surround Sound Audio System
• Wireless charger

The two footnotes for that don't say anything about it not being compatible with the NX450h+.

However, I don't see the Mark Levinson listed under the stand-alone "F-Sport Luxury Package" column (where almost everything else is), so no idea if it can be added or not – the order sheet doesn't indicate one way or another. Seems ludicrous that the highest-end NX wouldn't have the highest-end sound system. But, then, automakers aren't always logical or smart.

Old 11-04-21, 12:26 PM
Blastphemy
Driver School Candidate

Looks like we have our answer. If you configure the NX 450h+ F-Sport on Lexus' website (https://www.lexus.com/build-your-lex...year/2022/trim), there doesn't appear to be an option to add the Mark Levinson sound system. When you look at the Standard Equipment listed for the F-Sport, it shows "10-SPEAKER LEXUS PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM" and no way to upgrade it. Seems like a very stupid decision by Lexus.

I don't even see a way to add the Mark Levinson system to the regular NX 450h+, which is very disappointing. This is a Cadillac-level mistake! If you remember, their flagship CT6 was the CT6 PHEV, but it didn't come with the 34-speaker Bose Panaray audio system (or SuperCruise, or Magnetic Ride Control) like the less expensive all-gas models did. No surprise – the CT6 PHEV bombed worse than the ELR.

This may actually be a deal-breaker for me since there are other plug-in hybrids and electric cars with premium sound systems. As a musician, I won't buy a car without one.

I don't think the 450h+ even has the head-up display available, either. Makes the NX 450h+ feel a bit too "compliance car" (albeit a luxury one).
Old 11-04-21, 01:59 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I bet the electronics for the ML can’t work with a full electric battery car.
Old 11-04-21, 03:39 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

I think Kolokmee's answer makes sense, no space for the ML sub in the back due to the increased size of the battery pack.

You also can't get the electrically folding rear seats, although I think the rear seat heater is included.

The HUD, 14" screen, thematic lighting, and (I think) the heated steering wheel are also standard in the 450h+ F Sport...a lot of things are, here are the only factory options available:
  • Triple beam headlamps w/washers, adaptive front lights
  • 6.6 KW onboard charger
  • Panoramic view monitor, lane change assist, front cross traffic monitor
  • Smart phone convenience package
Old 11-04-21, 06:06 PM
Blastphemy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ct6978
The HUD, 14" screen, thematic lighting, and (I think) the heated steering wheel are also standard in the 450h+ F Sport
When I build the 450h+, I don't see the HUD included anywhere. The list of Standard Equipment does list the 14-inch Multimedia Touchscreen Display, Ventilated front seats, and Rain-Sensing Wipers, so the omission of the HUD in that very specific list seems to indicate it's not included (especially since the 10-inch HUD Display is noted separately in other builds). Very happy to be wrong about this if there's documentation somewhere else that contradicts what I'm finding.

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I bet the electronics for the ML can’t work with a full electric battery car.
That's definitely not the problem, especially since (i) the 450h+ isn't a full electric battery car and (ii) it doesn't run exclusively off the battery like the plug-in hybrid Chevy Volt does. There's more than enough juice to power the Mark Levinson; the question is whether there's space for it (especially the subwoofer). Also, if you've ever been in a newer Tesla, the Mercedes EQS, or the Lucid Air, you'll hear some serious sound in those all-electric vehicles.
Old 11-04-21, 07:05 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blastphemy
When I build the 450h+, I don't see the HUD included anywhere. The list of Standard Equipment does list the 14-inch Multimedia Touchscreen Display, Ventilated front seats, and Rain-Sensing Wipers, so the omission of the HUD in that very specific list seems to indicate it's not included (especially since the 10-inch HUD Display is noted separately in other builds). Very happy to be wrong about this if there's documentation somewhere else that contradicts what I'm finding.
The various documentation I've seen have somewhat mixed details, but this chart shows it and the fact that its not an option (and doesn't have some other reasonable reason like the power folding rear seats and ML vs. the battery) make me think this is probably accurate. I would at least expect it to be an option if not included. I could be wrong, but like you, hoping I'm not:

Last edited by ct6978; 11-04-21 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-04-21, 07:20 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Its also listed in the pre-order brochure, under the 450h+ F Sport, you have "NX 450h+ F SPORT AWD Includes NX 350 F SPORT AWD features
and F SPORT Luxury Package features, and adds or replaces:"

Under the 350 F Sport, you have "NX 350 F SPORT AWD Includes NX 350 AWD features, and adds
or replaces: Adaptive Variable ... 10-in Head-Up Display ..."

So that looks pretty positive.

Old 11-05-21, 01:01 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Has any one had experience special ordering a Lexus? Sun/Moonroof delete would be my first option. Increase the headroom. Remove the possible expense of repairing it.
Old 11-05-21, 09:40 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 609 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by RXWes
Has any one had experience special ordering a Lexus? Sun/Moonroof delete would be my first option. Increase the headroom. Remove the possible expense of repairing it.
Have you had issues with sun/moonroof's before? All the cars I've own had sun/moonroofs and never had a single problem with them over the ownership. Even with the harsh Canadian winter it's still seems to be fine. I understand the increase of headroom and even a little weight reduction.
Old 11-05-21, 08:20 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RXWes
Other than early in the RCF production run (there were issues with the carbon fiber package so they had some odd ordering options) I can't remember seeing a moonroof delete option for Lexus. BMW yes, Lexus, no.

I do agree with you on the headroom, I've had many cars with sun/moonroofs and rarely ever opened them, and am tall enough to appreciate the extra space in my car. My convertible days are probably past too.

Considering the supply issues, I'm not sure dealers are even able to special order right now, I've heard from our local store that they get what they get and are happy enough with that.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson on 450h+ F Sport