NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

I might have an NX test drive today

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-22, 02:47 PM
Lead Lap

Received 793 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
Fine, then buy the v-6 or V-8 NX when and if they make it.
The only saving grace for the NX is the hybrid variant which takes away the harshness with the inline 4 cylinder (turbo or not). Even so it is still behind the refinement of the ES with the same drivetrain.

So whoever is buying the NX250 or NX350 just know that it’s a step down from what is expected from a Lexus in refinement. And the disappointing thing with the turbo? It’s slower than the hybrid. Not sure why one would
But it over the hybrid.

The following users liked this post:
Lexus22563 (01-05-22)
Old 01-02-22, 02:53 PM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
The only saving grace for the NX is the hybrid variant which takes away the harshness with the inline 4 cylinder (turbo or not). Even so it is still behind the refinement of the ES with the same drivetrain.

So whoever is buying the NX250 or NX350 just know that it’s a step down from what is expected from a Lexus in refinement. And the disappointing thing with the turbo? It’s slower than the hybrid. Not sure why one would
But it over the hybrid.
Because I don't want the extra problems of an electric motor and batteries. They may be refined but expensive to work on. I don't normally turn over a car within the first 3 years.
Old 01-02-22, 04:05 PM
chocobo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geopoz
Because I don't want the extra problems of an electric motor and batteries. They may be refined but expensive to work on. I don't normally turn over a car within the first 3 years.
Granted, that was the same concern I had when my family bought RX450h back in 2016 or 2017. (don't remember when exactly) Now they had it for around 5 years and driven 200K km, car is doing just fine. No expensive maintenance issues yet. Now, the reason why I went for NX 350 f sport turbo over hybrid is because I really hated the cvt noise (very abrupt interruption and it rattled the cabin quite a bit, and noisy) and lack of refinement it brings to the cabin. At least for the rx450h, the engine kicked in WAY too frequently for the way we drove. (We live in rural area and so there isn't too much stop and go traffic) I am quite happy with f sport nx 350. I also plan on keeping nx350 f sport for more than 5~6 years.
Old 01-02-22, 04:45 PM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chocobo
Granted, that was the same concern I had when my family bought RX450h back in 2016 or 2017. (don't remember when exactly) Now they had it for around 5 years and driven 200K km, car is doing just fine. No expensive maintenance issues yet. Now, the reason why I went for NX 350 f sport turbo over hybrid is because I really hated the cvt noise (very abrupt interruption and it rattled the cabin quite a bit, and noisy) and lack of refinement it brings to the cabin. At least for the rx450h, the engine kicked in WAY too frequently for the way we drove. (We live in rural area and so there isn't too much stop and go traffic) I am quite happy with f sport nx 350. I also plan on keeping nx350 f sport for more than 5~6 years.
I agree, that is another issue with me. The 8 speed trans can be fixed and worked on. From what I have read the cvt can't. Just the way my mind works.
Old 01-02-22, 07:11 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

No worries, purchase the Extended warranty before the original 4 year factory one expires. Buy a 2 year extension for 1000 dollars. Keep the vehicle for a total of 6 years.

That’s what I did to my current RX350. My Lexus before was an ISF. But I sold it right before the warranty expired. I loved the car. But the V8 in an IS caused way to many issue to be a reliable daily driver.

Old 01-02-22, 08:22 PM
Lead Lap

Received 793 Likes on 538 Posts

I agree, that is another issue with me. The 8 speed trans can be fixed and worked on. From what I have read the cvt can't. Just the way my mind works.
Lexus dealerships don’t fix transmissions, they replace the whole thing if there is a fault.

I have never heard of a single widespread issue with the eCVTs.

Last edited by 703; 01-03-22 at 12:43 AM.
dklanecky1 (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 06:39 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 640 Likes on 423 Posts
Question 703 what what are your sources of information ?

Originally Posted by 703

But it over the hybrid.
So 703, you keep saying the 4 cylinder is lousy/harsh , but hey that is what Lexus choose for the NX at the V-6 or V8, so can you enlighten the rest of us to your sources of information. You also keep comparing the NX to the ES and saying they have the same drivetrain, in this case, you are talking about the ES300h correctly.for the eCVT and 8-speed.for the rest of the ES line up? Are you also saying the 4 cylinder ES250 is harsh?

Can you provide some corroborating documentation that agrees with your opinion ? Especially when you say that the NX250 or NX350 is step down in Lexus refinement?

YMMV,
MidCow3

Last edited by midcow3; 01-03-22 at 06:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-22, 06:55 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 640 Likes on 423 Posts
Thumbs up Lexus Hybris system pretty bullet-proof

Lexus/Toyota has been making hybrid systems since 1997 when it introduced the first Prius. It is not a new system and should have very few if any problems.
Old 01-03-22, 07:38 AM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Lexus/Toyota has been making hybrid systems since 1997 when it introduced the first Prius. It is not a new system and should have very few if any problems.
I'm very indecisive what car I want. 350 vs 350H. hybrid vs the 2.4, 8 speed vs cvt. Just alot to think about.

Last edited by Geopoz; 01-03-22 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-03-22, 08:49 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

I’m on my sixth Toyota/Lexus hybrid vehicle and have kept them all for 4.5 to 5.5 years. I have never had an issue with the hybrid drivetrain. I will admit the earlier versions displayed more abrupt transitions between gas and electric than present models, plus the newer eCVT transmissions are much better (early models felt a bit like rubber bands). Fortunately, there is a model for every taste and I’m certainly not trying to convince you to go buy a hybrid, however I haven’t seen anything to justify the “extra problems of an electric motor and batteries” comment. I do have a relative with a Camry hybrid that had to replace the battery at about 10 years and 120K miles - at over $4000 so yes they can be expensive to repair - although battery prices have come down since her battery was replaced. Personally, I wouldn’t want the extra issues of a turbo.
lsft (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 08:53 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Toyota and Lexus are always updating the vehicle. And with the updates. They find problems and fix them.

The 2019 RAV4 has plenty of drivetrain issues. ICE, Hybrid and Plug In. Which they have started correcting. But are still finding issues.
Old 01-04-22, 01:55 PM
neutron18
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorsai
Interestingly, my salesguy tried to tell me it's not possible to special order a Lexus. Maybe he meant that it's not possible to special order an NX right now, but I thought I made it clear that I might be interested in ordering one down the line to get the exact options I want. I'd already spent enough time there today, so I didn't explore the issue further.
My salesman at Nalley Lexus Smyrna said they can put a custom order but will take 90~120+ days. He said "120+" because it could be much longer, there are no guarantees. Also even with a custom order, you just pay $1000 deposit and they won't know the final price until the car arrived. Looks like they just don't want people to lock a price in advance. I wonder in this way when the car is really built and arrived they can add anything because you will have no other choice.
bdwpac81 (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 02:38 PM
bdwpac81
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

How can they expect you to put in a deposit and not know the price of what you’re reserving? I have a feeling you’re right though — they’ll add whatever they want to raise the price when it arrives, much like Nalley Roswell has done with their $64K sticker price for NX 350 F Sport which doesn’t even have the upgraded display. SMH…

Originally Posted by neutron18
My salesman at Nalley Lexus Smyrna said they can put a custom order but will take 90~120+ days. He said "120+" because it could be much longer, there are no guarantees. Also even with a custom order, you just pay $1000 deposit and they won't know the final price until the car arrived. Looks like they just don't want people to lock a price in advance. I wonder in this way when the car is really built and arrived they can add anything because you will have no other choice.
neutron18 (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 08:15 PM
deadduck
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bdwpac81
How can they expect you to put in a deposit and not know the price of what you’re reserving?
If I had to guess, and my guesses haven't been perfect here, it's probably due to how Toyota allocates vehicles. It sounds like you can't do a true order, but you can order a 450+, and whatever someone at Toyota decides to allocate, you get more or less. I know with the Venza every single Limited in California, with the tech package, came with the StarGaze roof. Outside of California you could get a Limited + Tech and no roof.

I'm no Lexus or Toyota expert, so maybe you can custom order a Lexus, or you just can't right now?
Old 01-05-22, 08:28 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron18
You are still in the controlling position. If they add on other things or tack on markup, you can just walk away. The deposit is normally refundable. I don’t think they really have you over a barrel like you are suggesting. Plus that kind of shenanigan would result in ill will that would spread as fast as any positive word-of-mouth. I just can’t imagine a dealer operating that way.

Quick Reply: I might have an NX test drive today