NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

I might have an NX test drive today

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 09:49 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Geopoz
Because I don't want the extra problems of an electric motor and batteries. They may be refined but expensive to work on. I don't normally turn over a car within the first 3 years.
There's no "extra problems" with "motors and batteries." In fact it's the opposite. Those aspects of the Hybrid system erase problems. There's essentially no transmission to worry about. And the reliability is essentially limitless. There's also no belts, no pulleys, no alternator to worry about as you would with a non-hybrid system.

It's traditional ICE cars that are presenting, the "Extra problems" in actuality with their extra parts and extra complexity.

The Toyota/Lexus hybrid system is world class, an 8-figure super-investment that Toyota has been refining for decades now. The Toyota hybrid system is the absolute gold standard of reliability. Absolutely not up for debate. It is the way you achieve the absolute height of Toyota/Lexus reliability.
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (01-07-22)
Old 01-05-22, 09:58 AM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
There's no "extra problems" with "motors and batteries." In fact it's the opposite. Those aspects of the Hybrid system erase problems. There's essentially no transmission to worry about. And the reliability is essentially limitless. There's also no belts, no pulleys, no alternator to worry about as you would with a non-hybrid system.

It's traditional ICE cars that are presenting, the "Extra problems" in actuality with their extra parts and extra complexity.

The Toyota/Lexus hybrid system is world class, an 8-figure super-investment that Toyota has been refining for decades now. The Toyota hybrid system is the absolute gold standard of reliability. Absolutely not up for debate. It is the way you achieve the absolute height of Toyota/Lexus reliability.
Thank you for the clarification. I need to think hard before I order my nx. I do have time to do that.
Old 01-05-22, 11:17 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by RXWes
Toyota and Lexus are always updating the vehicle. And with the updates. They find problems and fix them.

The 2019 RAV4 has plenty of drivetrain issues. ICE, Hybrid and Plug In. Which they have started correcting. But are still finding issues.
0 problems with the hybrid system.
Old 01-05-22, 09:26 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
0 problems with the hybrid system.
Likewise...

In addition to our NX F-Sport, we've had our 2006 RX 400h since new (I think it was the first year of the RX hybrid) with zero problems. In fact, the regenerative braking system is amazing.

Admittedly, the gas mileage isn't great by today's standards, but the car has been rock-solid reliable.
Old 01-07-22, 10:08 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 532 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool

I am going to buy a smooth-running, non-harsh 4-cylinder hybrid, a 2022 NX 350h, which meets the Lexus luxury requirements and is not a step-down in expected Lexus refinement IMHO.

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following 3 users liked this post by midcow3:
bdwpac81 (01-07-22), hintonwood (01-07-22), unkind2cat (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 10:18 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
I am going to buy a smooth-running, non-harsh 4-cylinder hybrid, a 2022 NX 350h, which meets the Lexus luxury requirements and is not a step-down in expected Lexus refinement IMHO.

YMMV,
MidCow3

My choice as well ... if stock ever arrives
Old 01-08-22, 06:48 PM
Lexus22563
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

So I went to the Dealer and Test Drove the NX 350 with the 18 inch wheels with the Bridgestone Alenza all season run flats. I was surprised that there was more road noise than I expected. I had taken it out on the highway and was going 60-70 mph. It was 30 degrees out today.
has anyone compared driving the 20 in and 18 inch wheels? How is the 350h and 450h? Any thoughts?

Although the dealer did not have any 350H in stock we talked about price in the future. I asked him about coming off the MRSP and he said no. In fact he said it was $1500 over MRSP and I would get Nitro Fill for like $400 and the Resistall NG2 paint protection costing for $1100. Now I did not get into negotiating now with no car. He did talk to someone to see if they could request the 350h premium in the exterior and interior color I wanted. I am on their list but I don’t feel good about the extra $1500. I already don’t like MRSP. Is this the environment we have to deal with now?
Old 01-10-22, 06:46 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Lexus22563
So I went to the Dealer and Test Drove the NX 350 with the 18 inch wheels with the Bridgestone Alenza all season run flats. I was surprised that there was more road noise than I expected. I had taken it out on the highway and was going 60-70 mph. It was 30 degrees out today.
has anyone compared driving the 20 in and 18 inch wheels? How is the 350h and 450h? Any thoughts?

Although the dealer did not have any 350H in stock we talked about price in the future. I asked him about coming off the MRSP and he said no. In fact he said it was $1500 over MRSP and I would get Nitro Fill for like $400 and the Resistall NG2 paint protection costing for $1100. Now I did not get into negotiating now with no car. He did talk to someone to see if they could request the 350h premium in the exterior and interior color I wanted. I am on their list but I don’t feel good about the extra $1500. I already don’t like MRSP. Is this the environment we have to deal with now?
Again, it's the market we are currently in with the shortages... Dealers think/will/ they can put a markup on things. I'm ALL for the free market. However, this would quickly go away if people don't pay the markup/buy vehicles if they aren't needed. IE: If dealers see that no one is paying a markup fee over MSRP, they would drop it eventually to sell the vehicle (just like before all of this chaos started). If however, people continue to pay the markup, two things will happen. The markup will most likely increase, and the markup will become some standard rolled in fee that we will just accept. If people have money to burn and they don't care about paying over MSRP for a vehicle then it doesn't matter. But for the most part I would think the majority of people do not want to pay over MSRP. I know I do not. I don't need a vehicle that bad that I'd pay above MSRP for a depreciating asset that is going to have even more depreciation because of said markup. I get things happen and sometimes we are put in situations where our vehicle get totaled, needs repaired and one simply needs to get a newer vehicle.

The NXis going to be a mass produced vehicle (just like it was for the past 7 years of the first gen). It's new, it's updated, YAY! So there is a lot of hype and demand for it now, people have been waiting for an updated version for a while now. You are going to have dealers that are going to try and capitalize on that. The AMG group I belong to G63 AMG wagons are selling for almost $300k. Dealers/people are marking them up $100k from their $200k price tag. And they are selling no problem. I think those people have that much disposable income that $100k is like $100 for the majority of us.

Point I'm trying to make is that right now everything is more expensive. Homes/Cars...etc. If you DON'T have to buy a home now and pay $100k+ above asking price then to me that's a no brainer on what you should do... same applies to vehicles. This will eventually go down and mellow out.
We might even see a change in how cars are purchased which in my opinion might be better. Rather than settling for what is on the lot, you build yours online with whatever options you want and it comes exactly to your spec. This is actually what I would prefer. Anytime we've EVER gotten a car it has 95% of what we want and then it won't have something silly like the all weather package, or a $300 option. But however the dealership ordered it in had it built with the $5k+ luxury package, and every add on accessory. To me if I'm spending that much already what's another couple hundred. I'd want the most options available.

-Nigel