NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

I might have an NX test drive today

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-21, 09:55 AM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts
Default I might have an NX test drive today

One of my local dealers, Nalley Lexus of Roswell, apparently has a handful of 2022 NX's on the lot. Assuming the chatbot didn't lie to me, I'm scheduled for a test drive at 3pm.

Unfortunately my in-house Lexus analyst is now too cool to review vehicles any more, so I will report my observations the best I can.

Old 12-28-21, 11:11 AM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Just for fun, I thought I'd share the quote that Nalley sent me for an NX350 - they don't have a photo of the car on their website, so I assume it is still in transit from Japan.

They're quoting a base price of $47,700...so if this is a 350 with just the Premium package, then that's a $1,525 markup over the price on the configurator. Another $1,224 for 'ResistAll' on top of that? Not gonna happen...I'm in the fortunate position that I don't NEED a new car, so I can wait for a better price. The GATAVT is the state of Georgia vehicle tax, so there's not much to be done about that....although they seem to be calculating it on the entirety of what they're asking for the car, including the 'dealer service charge' and tag and title fees, which seems a bit suspect. I'm guessing that I will end up ordering one sometime down the road, hopefully getting it by summer.

The following users liked this post:
corinvest (12-28-21)
Old 12-28-21, 01:25 PM
bdwpac81
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I’m also in the Atlanta area and have purchased from Nalley in the past. I’ve never seen them add ResistAll by default and am disappointed to see this markup. Were you able to take it out for a drive?
Old 12-28-21, 02:50 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bdwpac81
Were you able to take it out for a drive?
I was!

I actually drove two NXs today...an NX350, and an NX350 F Sport. I'm not particularly interested in the F Sport, but I wanted to drive it for comparison purposes. So...observations:
  • Both vehicles were good on rough/broken pavement - the F was marginally better, but the non-F was good enough that I won't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I didn't get a chance to give the suspension a workout beyond that.
  • I found the F seats to be a little too firmly bolstered for my liking - probably because I could stand to lose a few pounds. The non-F seats were very comfortable for me.
  • The F had the HUD, and I was impressed with its clarity. I've never had a vehicle with a HUD before, I am looking forward to this.
  • Overall I was pleased with the interior layout - it feels very driver focused. All the major controls were right where I expected to find them. Both vehicles I drove had the 9.8" display, so there was a lot of piano black...it didn't look bad, although I wonder if it might appear dated in a few years. Lots of shiny black on the center console as well.
  • The F had no sunroof whatsoever, and headroom was cavernous as a result. The non-F had the standard sunroof, and headroom was still very good. I'm only 5'8" so I wouldn't expect a problem, but my salesguy was at least 6'3" and he had no problems either. Hip and shoulder room was also entirely satisfactory.
  • Rear seat space was also good, although I wouldn't want to put 3 people back there. When I adjusted the driver seat to my preferred position, I was able to sit behind myself with no problem. Knee room was very good, and foot room was adequate...although it might not have been if the drivers seat was in its lowest position - I didn't check that.
  • The new hi-res backup camera is excellent.
  • Speaking of space, when I came back from the non-F drive I was able to park right next to my '04 RX to do some comparisons. Space up front is objectively very similar, although the lack of a full center console in the RX makes it feel roomier. The NX has less rear seat room than the older RX, but still adequate for my needs...which mostly consists of taking my 16 year old somewhere. The rear hatch opening is slightly smaller, and the space a couple inches less deep, but still plenty good enough. The space under the rear floor is a huge win in my book (I like to keep emergency supplies on hand), although I'm not sure how I feel about having no spare tire.
  • Fit and finish were excellent - everything looked great, and it was as tight as a drum.
Final observation, which contains the only negative regarding the vehicle:
  • Handling and acceleration were both good - nothing earth-shattering, but entirely satisfactory for my needs. The only problem is that the engine note on acceleration was harsher than I expected for a Lexus. That's to be expected somewhat for a four-cylinder, but there was a spot at maybe 2/3 pedal travel where it sounded particularly bad. If my RX (admittedly, a V-6) made that sound I would pull over and check my oil level. Both the F and non-F sounded like this, so I'm guessing this is just a thing with this car.
So...am I going to buy one? Probably. It's a very nice car, a definite step up from my old RX. But, it's just short of a home run...so I think I am going to test drive a couple of other contenders, just to be certain. The Genesis GV70 to be sure, and probably the Cadillac XT4/XT5 (not sure which is better for my needs) as well. In the meantime the salesguy has my list of wants and needs, and will let me know if something is coming in that meets them - I particularly want to see the 14" display in action, and I still need to take the NX out on the highway at speed before buying.
2GR (01-02-22)
Old 12-28-21, 03:04 PM
bdwpac81
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for sharing your observations! I’m a bit skeptical of the piano black and wonder if it will be prone to showing fingerprints and dust. I put a refundable deposit in to get on a list for the NX350h — hopefully by spring!
Old 12-28-21, 03:39 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorsai
The F had no sunroof whatsoever, and headroom was cavernous as a result.[size=33px]
Thats good news to hear.

I know the 250s come with no sunroof. And now to find out the 350s can get the Sunroof Delete option.

Im hoping to order or find a 450h+ with no Sunroof later this year.[/size]
Old 12-28-21, 03:46 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

I don’t understand why Lexus could not have put a V6 in the F Sport? It sounds like the turbo 4 is producing a lot of noise and not as smooth as what a V6 can offer.
Old 12-28-21, 03:55 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

I was also happy to discover one can get a 350 without the sunroof - as I explained to my salesguy, I think I've opened the sunroof in the RX twice in the last 18 years. I really don't need it.
Old 12-28-21, 04:15 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 532 Likes on 347 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I don’t understand why Lexus could not have put a V6 in the F Sport? It sounds like the turbo 4 is producing a lot of noise and not as smooth as what a V6 can offer.
Xanadu350,

I understand the harse noise comment made by the OP ( this could also be caused by warm-up or lack of break-in miles on engine) but I am am not sure I understand you comment about "not as smooth..." Where did you find information that the Lexus NX 2.4L turbo engine is not smooth? Depending on what RPM the turbo boost engages and the range you might get so initial turbo lag, but these days 4 cylinder turbos are very smooth , at least all of all of my last three have been. I think a lot of people completely underrate 4-cylinder turbos just because they are only 4 cylinders.

YMMV,
MidCow3
corinvest (12-29-21)
Old 12-28-21, 04:49 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

I was also happy to discover one can get a 350 without the sunroof - as I explained to my salesguy, I think I've opened the sunroof in the RX twice in the last 18 years. I really don't need it.

My old ISF didn’t have a sunroof. And my next car was a CPO. So no choice on the roof.

Im hoping to order a 450 this summer. See what Lexus does.
Old 12-28-21, 05:22 PM
midcow3
Racer

Angry all 450s include moonroof

Originally Posted by RXWes
My old ISF didn’t have a sunroof. And my next car was a CPO. So no choice on the roof.

Im hoping to order a 450 this summer. See what Lexus does.
RXWes,

Good Luck, but it might be hard to delete since the 450h+ and the 450h+ Fsport Handling both have the Luxury package included in the base model, and the Luxury package includes the power tilt and slide moonroof.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 12-28-21, 05:38 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by midcow3
I understand the harse noise comment made by the OP ( this could also be caused by warm-up or lack of break-in miles on engine) but I am am not sure I understand you comment about "not as smooth..."
I should probably note that vibration was NOT an issue - the engine is obviously well isolated from the chassis, there was no vibration in the steering wheel at all. This was strictly an auditory phenomenon.

That said, a V-6 is inherently smoother than a four-cylinder, no doubt about it. But sound aside, this four is well-suited for the application.
Old 12-28-21, 07:19 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by midcow3
RXWes,

Good Luck, but it might be hard to delete since the 450h+ and the 450h+ Fsport Handling both have the Luxury package included in the base model, and the Luxury package includes the power tilt and slide moonroof.

YMMV,
MidCow3
My ISF was the same way. Came with the package. But the original owner was able to do a Sunroof Delete request on their special order.

All they can do is say no. But since it’s an option to not have one on the 250 and 350. Will see what happens.
Old 12-28-21, 07:46 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RXWes
My ISF was the same way. Came with the package. But the original owner was able to do a Sunroof Delete request on their special order.

All they can do is say no. But since it’s an option to not have one on the 250 and 350. Will see what happens.
Interestingly, my salesguy tried to tell me it's not possible to special order a Lexus. Maybe he meant that it's not possible to special order an NX right now, but I thought I made it clear that I might be interested in ordering one down the line to get the exact options I want. I'd already spent enough time there today, so I didn't explore the issue further.
Old 12-28-21, 08:10 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb Moot point with NX

I should probably note that vibration was NOT an issue - the engine is obviously well isolated from the chassis, there was no vibration in the steering wheel at all. This was strictly an auditory phenomenon.

That said, a V-6 is inherently smoother than a four-cylinder, no doubt about it. But sound aside, this four is well-suited for the application.
Moot point with NX . Typically more cylinders means smoother especially if in-line. An in-line 6 would be smoother than a V-6. But if a 6 cylinder engine were available for the NX, I agree with you it would probably be smoother than the 4-clyinder engines currently available.

Question: Do the electric motors in the hybrid NXs make them smoother than the turbo and normally asperated engines in the NXs ?

Quick Reply: I might have an NX test drive today