NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

2022 NX 2nd generation 1st year problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-22, 07:59 AM
NXBob
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Big problems 200 mi in

Having big problems with ours already, unfortunately. Took delivery of a 350h Premium yesterday and loved every minute of the 200 mi drive home. First Lexus and I was quite impressed with everything. Unfortunately, the issues started when I got home and it is now completely inoperable.

In summary, the car alarm went off every 10-20 minutes while the car was locked. Had to leave it unlocked all night... thought this was related to the Lexus app, but not sure.

Then this morning as we were playing with the new infotainment system in our garage, it suddenly went black and shut down. The safe exit system shut itself off and a lot of various messages appeared on the screen. After this, one headlight would blink rapidly at different paces depending on if the car was unlocked or locked. The car will no longer start, but some of the dash lights come on when you try to start. Occasionally both headlights will flash rapidly when you try to start. Basically a whole lot of flashing lights, but not a functioning car... waiting on the dealer for next steps since we can't even get it out of the garage. They seem to think it's a blown fuse observationally.

Issues to be expected with new cars, especially with massive electronics, but was hoping it would make it past 200 mi... went with the Lexus for reliability.
The following 2 users liked this post by NXBob:
JohnPDX (01-18-22), Robb79 (01-24-22)
Old 01-02-22, 08:13 AM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NXBob
Having big problems with ours already, unfortunately. Took delivery of a 350h Premium yesterday and loved every minute of the 200 mi drive home. First Lexus and I was quite impressed with everything. Unfortunately, the issues started when I got home and it is now completely inoperable.

In summary, the car alarm went off every 10-20 minutes while the car was locked. Had to leave it unlocked all night... thought this was related to the Lexus app, but not sure.

Then this morning as we were playing with the new infotainment system in our garage, it suddenly went black and shut down. The safe exit system shut itself off and a lot of various messages appeared on the screen. After this, one headlight would blink rapidly at different paces depending on if the car was unlocked or locked. The car will no longer start, but some of the dash lights come on when you try to start. Occasionally both headlights will flash rapidly when you try to start. Basically a whole lot of flashing lights, but not a functioning car... waiting on the dealer for next steps since we can't even get it out of the garage. They seem to think it's a blown fuse observationally.

Issues to be expected with new cars, especially with massive electronics, but was hoping it would make it past 200 mi... went with the Lexus for reliability.
That really sucks, hope they find a quick and permanent fix. Good luck
Old 01-02-22, 09:15 AM
NXBob
Rookie

Originally Posted by Geopoz
That really sucks, hope they find a quick and permanent fix. Good luck
Thanks, the 12v starter battery fully depleted after a while of the flashing light show... was able to get it started up again at least by charging up the 12v battery. My local dealers are closed Sunday, so will take it in tomorrow to have them check out the fuses and battery and see what happens.
Old 01-02-22, 09:56 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Glad you got home before any of this started happening. So will your battery hold a charge now? Or is that just a temporary fix till you can drive it in the dealer? Hopefully this is a one off and won’t happen to anyone else.
Old 01-02-22, 10:21 AM
Lexus22563
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

I wonder if the dealer will reset your system.
Old 01-02-22, 11:43 AM
NXBob
Rookie

Battery seems to be holding a charge fine now. Started it up a few times and drove it a bit. Unfortunately this means the car alarm going off every 10-20 minutes is back

Suspecting that there may be a fuse issue or possibly a bug with the Lexus app causing the car alarm problem and then we probably depleted the battery playing with the infotainment system on ACC for too long... kind of surprised there was no warning or graceful shutdown when the battery went out, but guessing we can chalk the battery issue up to our mistake.
Old 01-02-22, 12:51 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Tell them exactly what happen but don’t take all the blame. The alarm should not be going off like that, very annoying at the least for a brand new vehicle.

Let us know what they find out, I wonder if it could be software related?
The following users liked this post:
jadeboy (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 02:04 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by NXBob

How long were you running the car on battery only?
Old 01-05-22, 09:21 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

What ever happen with this NXbob?
Dealer update?
The following 2 users liked this post by Xanadu350:
corinvest (01-05-22), Lexus22563 (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 09:50 AM
NXBob
Rookie

Local dealer wanted to keep it a bit longer for diagnostics and couldn't get me a loaner until today, so it's just been left with the dealer. When I dropped the car with the service department, the guy there told me they have 3 new 2022 NXs on the lot not delivered to customers yet that all have the car alarm going off randomly just like mine. He said sounds like a factory issue, so I guess the car alarm problem is definitely a first year issue These cars are at Lexus of Jacksonville in North Florida.

Mine died completely again while parked in the garage yesterday. I realized that each time it died, right before dying the Lexus app and the dashboard in the car alerted that the rear liftgate was open... it was clearly not open (car hadn't been touched), but we opened and shut it again to make the message go away, after which the car died completely.

The first time the car died, we had been playing with infotainment on ACC for ~20 minutes before the car started a light show, alerted the lift gate was open, and then died. The second time it died, it had been parked in the garage untouched for ~20 hours before alerting the lift gate was open and subsequently dying.

Also seemed a bit strange that when I connected the 12v starter battery to my charger it read out at 12.4 volts before I started the charging.. seemed like the charge on the car battery was actually fine, but the car wouldn't start until I turned on the charger. It didn't even take any time to charge - as soon as I switched on the charger, ACC mode activated itself.

Will update again once I get more details/diagnosis from my local dealer.
The following 3 users liked this post by NXBob:
jadeboy (01-05-22), rellim (01-05-22), Xanadu350 (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 10:27 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

When I dropped the car with the service department, the guy there told me they have 3 new 2022 NXs on the lot not delivered to customers yet that all have the car alarm going off randomly just like mine.

Do you know if the alarm on the NX is factory installed or a port installed item.
Dswhittle (02-12-22)
Old 01-05-22, 10:30 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RXWes
When I dropped the car with the service department, the guy there told me they have 3 new 2022 NXs on the lot not delivered to customers yet that all have the car alarm going off randomly just like mine.

Do you know if the alarm on the NX is factory installed or a port installed item.

As someone seriously looking at an NX is this something to be concerned about? I take it that a software update will be all it takes to fix this problem? I'd hate to look at another car brand at this point.
Old 01-05-22, 11:07 AM
chocobo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
As someone seriously looking at an NX is this something to be concerned about? I take it that a software update will be all it takes to fix this problem? I'd hate to look at another car brand at this point.
I am sure this is an isolated incident specifically related to that region. We here in Hawaii are not hearing such issues. My 350 f sport is doing well without issues.
DDGNX (05-04-22)
Old 01-05-22, 11:15 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by RXWes

Where is your NX assembled ? US or Japan?
Old 01-05-22, 11:18 AM
chocobo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think first batches are all assembled in Japan...

Quick Reply: 2022 NX 2nd generation 1st year problems