NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-22 | 09:47 PM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Default Extended Warranty

Is anyone planning to get extended warranty? If so, how much should the cost be? Generally I do not get extended warranty but with getting the newest model of a generation wondering if folks would recommend it. I had no issues when I had my 2015 Lexus IS350 F Sport.
Old 01-03-22 | 02:39 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

You don’t need to purchase the extended warranty when you purchase the vehicle. You just need to get it before the original 4 year factory one expires.

You can shop around for one when your ready. To get the best price. But I’ve found Jerry to have the best prices.

Jerry Johnson

Warranty Manager Midwest Superstore

800-530-5789

Cell 620-664-8844
The following 3 users liked this post by RXWes:
KyleinOK (01-13-22), neilsarkar (01-09-22), NJLEXES (01-06-22)
Old 01-05-22 | 09:56 AM
NXBob
Rookie

I'm curious if anyone has experience with extended warranties that cover the electronics? I'm a bit less concerned about the mechanical aspects of the car holding up as I am about the brand new electronics they've put in. Love the system, but I can imagine it having problems in the future that makes me a bit nervous.
Old 01-05-22 | 10:13 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

I’ve never owned a Lexus without having an Extended Warranty on the vehicle.

Only on a couple of occasions have they refused to repair an issue with my cars. And those were for interior trim pieces. Like an AC vent **** and a broken overhead sunglasses holder.

The main reason to have the warranty is because of the extensive amount of electronics systems. My current 2016 RX 350 just had both rear lift gate actuators replaced. A 1900.00 dollar repair.

My last Lexus before the RX was an ISF. And it spent almost 3 weeks in total at the dealership to fix an Dual Control Air Conditioning problem.

Everyone will tell you that Lexus vehicles are bulletproof. And that they drove the car 200.000 miles and only did oil changes. But that has not been my experience. Every Lexus I’ve owned returned at least 3 or 4 times the cost of the extend warranty in repairs.

Last edited by RXWes; 01-05-22 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-05-22 | 10:17 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

The 4th Gen RX forum has a sticky about the Extended warranty.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hreads-17.html
Old 01-05-22 | 01:50 PM
edstewbob
Rookie

I got a powertrain wraparound 10 year 80k mile warranty from the dealer for $2,083.
Old 01-05-22 | 04:01 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edstewbob
I got a powertrain wraparound 10 year 80k mile warranty from the dealer for $2,083.
Yeah, never purchase the warranty without calling Jerry. He always sells for less for the same amount years.
Old 01-05-22 | 09:44 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RXWes
Everyone will tell you that Lexus vehicles are bulletproof. And that they drove the car 200.000 miles and only did oil changes. But that has not been my experience. Every Lexus I’ve owned returned at least 3 or 4 times the cost of the extend warranty in repairs.
I am one of those.

Our first Lexus experience was 22 years-ago and we've had five during that time and kept them all well beyond the factory warranty period (except our NX) without expensive problems...maybe we've just been lucky, but we've also taken good care of them.
The following users liked this post:
JohnPDX (01-13-22)
Old 01-05-22 | 10:13 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
I am one of those.

Our first Lexus experience was 22 years-ago and we've had five during that time and kept them all well beyond the factory warranty period (except our NX) without expensive problems...maybe we've just been lucky, but we've also taken good care of them.
My 2016 RX350 is coming up on 60K miles. My last service was at 55K and I had both of the rear door lift actuators replaced. A 2.000-dollar repair. Double the cost of the Extended Warranty I purchased in 2019. Around 45K miles the engine and transmission were removed to fix oil and water leaks.
Old 01-06-22 | 07:48 AM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by RXWes
My 2016 RX350 is coming up on 60K miles. My last service was at 55K and I had both of the rear door lift actuators replaced. A 2.000-dollar repair. Double the cost of the Extended Warranty I purchased in 2019. Around 45K miles the engine and transmission were removed to fix oil and water leaks.
I've personally bought extended warranty on my 2 NXs as it also included 3 years service as part of the warranty in Canada. Never really had to use the warranty and never really had problems with the vehicle. Most likely will do the same with my 2022.. when it arrives.
Old 01-06-22 | 08:47 AM
NXBob
Rookie

Originally Posted by lsft
I've personally bought extended warranty on my 2 NXs as it also included 3 years service as part of the warranty in Canada. Never really had to use the warranty and never really had problems with the vehicle. Most likely will do the same with my 2022.. when it arrives.
Thanks, think I will do the same given all the electronics these cars have. I bought mine through an Autonation Lexus and they gave me a bunch of Autonation coverage, but think I would prefer to have the Lexus extended warranty.
Old 01-09-22 | 10:55 AM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation Extended Warranties are to make Money for Lexus

Extended Warranties are to make money for Lexus. Rarely does it payout to the consumer, even with the massive amounts of electronics and microprocessors that new cars have. But hey, it is like life insurance if you feel more comfortable go ahead and buy it. But realize you are probably going to have at least two massive hits ( $1,500 +) to break even. And Lexus is close to the top in reliability
And in spite of the early scuttlebutt and complaints so far about the 2022 NX, newer cars are being built more and more reliable. Just saying it may be wiser in the long run to self insure. But if you keep your car 10 or more years and can get a 150,000 mile + warranty, inexpensively in my break-even or even payout for you. But again, remember Lexas entended warranties make money for Lexus, not you.

YMMV and also you may be of a different opinion and that is okay.

MidCow3,

P.S. - And yes dummy me, I currently have two high-performance cars and I bought the extended warranties lock stock and barrel. One car is now 4 years old ( only problem windshield wiper fluid squirter went out; covered under factory warranty) and the other that I am trading in is 6 years old (0 problems) .So I spent around $5,000 total for these extended warranties and didn't use them at all.

The following users liked this post:
lesz (01-09-22)
Old 01-10-22 | 08:00 AM
lsft
Racer

I agree with you that there is less things that need to be worked on with a Lexus and that is one of the big reasons why so many buy them.

As for my case, I have leased the 2015 and 2018 Lexus NX and added an additional year of extended warranty as part of the lease. An example of my current 2018 NX. The extra year of extended warranty was $2055 CAD and I got a $1000 off the extended warranty as part of the deal. So the extended warranty cost $1055 CAD, which included 3 years of normal service. On top, because it was part of the lease, I only paid 55% of the $1055 as part of the lease. So with the normal service included, I'm not paying more for the extended warranty. At the end of the lease term (48 months), the car still has 1 year of extended warranty which helps keep the resell value.

Now with the shortages, these deals most likely will not come back and the cost will definitely go much higher.
Old 01-13-22 | 12:59 PM
Jawnathin
Driver

I reached out to Jerry as recommended in the extended warranty thread linked above. I opted for the 10 year, 100k miles plan. His pricing was much more competitive than what my selling dealer offered. I don't expect to hit the mileage limit but the time extension is quite significant. It increases the standard warranty by six years, the powertrain by four years, and the hybrid system by two years. The battery is already warrantied for 10 years so that is not increased.

I normally don't do extended warranties but the pricing was fair given the long 10 year duration which more than doubled the standard basic warranty length. It is a Lexus so my expectation is repairs would be uncommon but over a 10 year period even the best vehicles would have something requiring service or repair. However if nothing required repair over 10 years, I would not complain and consider that a win too. The biggest thing for me is whether I'll keep the car 10 years. If I choose to sell before the 10 years fortunately the warranty is transferrable to the next owner or pro-rated refundable.
Old 01-13-22 | 01:02 PM
midcow3
Racer

Question

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
I reached out to Jerry as recommended in the extended warranty thread linked above. I opted for the 10 year, 100k miles plan. His pricing was much more competitive than what my selling dealer offered. I don't expect to hit the mileage limit but the time extension is quite significant. It increases the standard warranty by six years, the powertrain by four years, and the hybrid system by two years. The battery is already warrantied for 10 years so that is not increased.

I normally don't do extended warranties but the pricing was fair given the long 10 year duration which more than doubled the standard basic warranty length. It is a Lexus so my expectation is repairs would be uncommon but over a 10 year period even the best vehicles would have something requiring service or repair. However if nothing required repair over 10 years, I would not complain and consider that a win too. The biggest thing for me is whether I'll keep the car 10 years. If I choose to sell before the 10 years fortunately the warranty is transferrable to the next owner or pro-rated refundable.

So what was your cost? $$$

Last edited by midcow3; 01-13-22 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty