NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-22, 06:45 AM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
The Canadian version of the OEM dashcam does record when car is parked. Just up to 60 seconds after detecting impact.

Parking Surveillance mode will begin recording upon detecting impact, up to 60 seconds.
What about motion?
Old 01-26-22, 07:43 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

No it doesn't record when it detects motion.

Here is a video for more details:

The following users liked this post:
hintonwood (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 01:46 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

No it doesn't record when it detects motion.

Here is a video for more details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8EMJEMf7KM
This appears to be the same rebranded dash cam that they used in Toyota. I have one in my Toyota four Runner. It does record parking incidents. If the car is bumped it’ll record for like 10 seconds, and it’ll save up to 10 of these incidents.

The drawbacks to the one in my Toyota forerunner are the 1080Pand not 4K limit and also anything larger than 8 Gb microSD will not function properly.

there is also a quality app for viewing, saving, and backing up the MicroSD on Mac/pc. here is a link to the software and the manuals

https://www.e-iserv.jp/top/drivereco...541340&lang=en

lsft (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 02:43 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by ctripps2k
This appears to be the same rebranded dash cam that they used in Toyota. I have one in my Toyota four Runner. It does record parking incidents. If the car is bumped it’ll record for like 10 seconds, and it’ll save up to 10 of these incidents.

The drawbacks to the one in my Toyota forerunner are the 1080Pand not 4K limit and also anything larger than 8 Gb microSD will not function properly.

there is also a quality app for viewing, saving, and backing up the MicroSD on Mac/pc. here is a link to the software and the manuals

https://www.e-iserv.jp/top/drivereco...541340&lang=en
I believe it can take up to 32GB, but they don't recommend using consumer grade SD cards.
Old 01-26-22, 05:09 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe it can take up to 32GB, but they don't recommend using consumer grade SD cards.
A larger card will work in the dash cam but every time you try and read it on the computer in the app, the app crashes. I tried it in both windows and macOS

Old 01-26-22, 06:28 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by ctripps2k
A larger card will work in the dash cam but every time you try and read it on the computer in the app, the app crashes. I tried it in both windows and macOS
I never had this problem.
Old 01-27-22, 07:54 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

As a dash cam owner and user for the last 3 years, it is highly likely you'll not need a larger than 32GB memory card.

I bought a 64Gb with my BlackVue camera in 2019, assuming bigger is always better. Then I bought another 64GB so I'd have a spare, just in case.

While the camera and the memory card(s) have worked perfectly, I've discovered that since the camera simply writes over any pre existing video, when the card fills, unless you are literally driving for >24 hours on end, you'll never over write anything you'd want to keep.

Think about it for a while and you'll likely come to the same realization. Now of course your specific use case maybe different, but as a protection / recording device for my vehicle and my use, I've discovered that 32Gb would have been fine.
Old 01-27-22, 08:37 AM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

With BlackVue (I assume with others) it’s simple to download a video to save it. If there is an event that happens while driving or an incident while parked it’s never been an issue with the card size.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKF350:
dklanecky1 (01-27-22), HeavenSold (02-27-22)
Old 01-28-22, 12:29 PM
Maggoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RKF350
With BlackVue (I assume with others) it’s simple to download a video to save it. If there is an event that happens while driving or an incident while parked it’s never been an issue with the card size.
Thank you for bringing this thread up and your inputs/experience RFK350. May I ask you a few things? I have never set up a dash cam before and have been researching recently and my top choices are the Blackvue 900 plus and the other one that looks like OEM.

i would like to know how parking mode works. Do I just connect to the fuse box and it takes care of itself or do I need a battery? Also do I need to pay for wifi for for it to record or is it only for the cloud? Sorry I just don’t know how it works.
Old 01-28-22, 01:32 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

The way we're set up is with the BlackVue (ours is the DR750S-2 Channel), is it's wired to a hidden switch that either turns on parking mode, or turns off parking mode. The way we use this is when we're parked in a secure place, like our garage, the parking mode is switched off. When we're parked outside or in the public areas, the parking mode switch is on. There is a setting (lots of them actually) in the BlackVue app that allows you to set the level that the vehicle's primary 12V battery is allowed to discharge to, before it disables recording, in order to maintain enough power to start the car. It has never run our 12V battery below the level at which the car needed it to start the vehicle.

If you needed /wanted a lot more recording capability, say you normally park on the public street, they also sell external batteries / charging systems that are designed to be hooked up to run the recording camera(s) instead of / in addition to the 12V car battery.

The DashCamStore.com is where I bought our system, and I thought they provided solid information on the various possibilities, without a lot of pressure. The only negative we had was the original installation was through the OBDII port, and this did not work well with the Toyota/Lexus system, so we ended up having it hard wired directly to the fuse box.

Last edited by dklanecky1; 01-28-22 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-22, 02:03 PM
Maggoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
The way we're set up is with the BlackVue (ours is the DR750S-2 Channel), is it's wired to a hidden switch that either turns on parking mode, or turns off parking mode. The way we use this is when we're parked in a secure place, like our garage, the parking mode is switched off. When we're parked outside or in the public areas, the parking mode switch is on. There is a setting (lots of them actually) in the BlackVue app that allows you to set the level that the vehicle's primary 12V battery is allowed to discharge to, before it disables recording, in order to maintain enough power to start the car. It has never run our 12V battery below the level at which the car needed it to start the vehicle.

If you needed /wanted a lot more recording capability, say you normally park on the public street, they also sell external batteries / charging systems that are designed to be hooked up to run the recording camera(s) instead of / in addition to the 12V car battery.

The DashCamStore.com is where I bought our system, and I thought they provided solid information on the various possibilities, without a lot of pressure. The only negative we had was the original installation was through the OBDII port, and this did not work well with the Toyota/Lexus system, so we ended up having it hard wired directly to the fuse box.
Thank you dklanecky1 for the explanation!

Were you the one who installed it or did you have it professionally done?

I want to try but I have no idea which ports to connect in the fuse panel of the NX 350.

Thank you again for helping!
Old 01-28-22, 02:11 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Maggoy
Thank you dklanecky1 for the explanation!

Were you the one who installed it or did you have it professionally done?

I want to try but I have no idea which ports to connect in the fuse panel of the NX 350.

Thank you again for helping!
Not me, no we paid Best Buy's auto install shop $50 to do the install 3 years ago. They did a really good job, (note I didn't say they were professional) and were very careful with the install and the car. Also has a lifetime install warranty (well as long as Best Buy exists) which for $50 I thought was a great deal.
HeavenSold (02-27-22)
Old 01-28-22, 03:51 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

Both my BlackVue dash cams are hardwired to a Magic Pro. The Magic Pro also has a voltage setting to turn the cameras off when the voltage drops to a certain set voltage (new BalckVue has this feature) but the Magic Pro has an on/ off switch and allows you to set the parking mode from 6 hours to continuous. The Magic Pro is tapped into the fuse box. Constant hot (used the power tilt/tel wheel) and the power outlet (hot only when then the car is on)
We park both cars in the garage but I just leave the parking mode on and have them set to 6 hours. I’ve never had an issue with the batteries.
Like the previous reply stated you can purchase an external lithium battery supply and a wifi(uses a cell) to communicate with the car when you are not near the car. (I did not opt for those).
I did the install myself. $50 sounds like a good deal. It took me an hour. I am very particular about my cars and didn’t want someone doing something wrong.
dklanecky1 (01-30-22)
Old 02-26-22, 03:21 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Mounted mine behind the rear view mirror instead of on the windshield, I think it’s less noticeable