NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Dashboard rattles??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-22, 11:48 AM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jkques
Which area? The driver's door panel or the center console lid?
The Door panel area. I probably hear the same rattle as you do. I am wondering if it comes from the crappy side mirror. I want to see if your fix would work but not sure which part of the door you are talking about.
Old 07-26-22, 12:09 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

A little late, but I want to point out I had significant rattles in my dash (Video attached)
My dealer was able to resolve it, they had to disassemble the entire dashboard and add felt lining on the interior panels, as they were rubbing. Now super silent.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7532.MOV (7.44 MB, 570 views)
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (08-29-22)
Old 07-26-22, 02:13 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorsai
~1600 miles on my NX350, no rattles whatsoever. I’ve been very pleased with how tightly it is screwed together.
I knew I shouldn't have commented on this thread...not two days after I posted this, I started hearing a faint creak/rattle coming from the passenger side of my car. I initially thought it was the passenger side B-pillar where the seatbelt retractor is, but no amount of poking or prodding made a difference. Turns out it was actually the plastic trim panel covering the speaker on the rear passenger door that was the cause - when I pressed on it (which is pretty awkward while driving) not only did the rattle stop, but I could feel the panel move as though it wasn't properly attached to the door. Yesterday when I got to work I took a moment to fiddle with it some more, and this happened:

I gave it the lightest of pulls to check the seating, and the whole damn thing fell off! Really, Lexus? I expect this from a Kia, or a Chrysler, but not you.

Before it fell off, it felt as though that forward top clip wasn't engaged in its slot correctly. I haven't had a chance to mess with it, but later today I am going to try to see if I can get that clip engaged properly - if I can and it seats as well as the driver side does then I am sure it will be fine. If not, I'll let the dealer handle it when I go in to get my rear window washer fixed, whenever that finally happens.
Old 07-26-22, 02:21 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

I knew I shouldn't have commented on this thread...not two days after I posted this, I started hearing a faint creak/rattle coming from the passenger side of my car. I initially thought it was the passenger side B-pillar where the seatbelt retractor is, but no amount of poking or prodding made a difference. Turns out it was actually the plastic trim panel covering the speaker on the rear passenger door that was the cause - when I pressed on it (which is pretty awkward while driving) not only did the rattle stop, but I could feel the panel move as though it wasn't properly attached to the door. Yesterday when I got to work I took a moment to fiddle with it some more, and this happened:

I gave it the lightest of pulls to check the seating, and the whole damn thing fell off! Really, Lexus? I expect this from a Kia, or a Chrysler, but not you.

Before it fell off, it felt as though that forward top clip wasn't engaged in its slot correctly. I haven't had a chance to mess with it, but later today I am going to try to see if I can get that clip engaged properly - if I can and it seats as well as the driver side does then I am sure it will be fine. If not, I'll let the dealer handle it when I go in to get my rear window washer fixed, whenever that finally happens.
ouch. Fun fact, my panel on the rear left passenger side wasn’t attached at all. It was just “placed there”. I don’t know how that passed QC. I used some violence and all is well. Still though, I love the car, but quality control is very poor.
Old 07-26-22, 04:50 PM
450hPlus
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol. I love this thread. Please go back and read my posts in this thread. 😂
Old 07-26-22, 06:20 PM
jardlr
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

It's my wife's NX, but when we're driving, I'm hearing a rattling/buzzing from the rear passenger side door (and possibly also in the rear driver's side door). Little noises drive me crazy, so I guess I'll have to be a pain and have the dealer take a look. What Dorsai posted sounds very similar to what I'm hearing.

The wife, however wouldn't hear if there was a garbage disposal running in the cabin.
Old 07-26-22, 09:20 PM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
A little late, but I want to point out I had significant rattles in my dash (Video attached)
My dealer was able to resolve it, they had to disassemble the entire dashboard and add felt lining on the interior panels, as they were rubbing. Now super silent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0LPICikiCI
Wait a second I think thats the sounds ive been hearing the whole time, I wasn't sure where it was coming from. I think you may have solved it.
The following users liked this post:
Ihave1cat (07-27-22)
Old 07-26-22, 09:59 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Lightbulb MarK Levinson

Originally Posted by 450hPlus
Lol. I love this thread. Please go back and read my posts in this thread. 😂
I love the thread also, some people think the louder sound the better, and that it will rattle the car. Mark Levison is how audio should be played with more brilliance and clarity, not necessarily more volume.. Mark Levison when played correctly provides a higher quality of sound and will not rattle the car unless you have other rattle issues; e.g. loose change, loose panels screws that are not screwed in, etc.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 07-27-22, 11:37 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alvinklee
Wait a second I think thats the sounds ive been hearing the whole time, I wasn't sure where it was coming from. I think you may have solved it.
This happened more when the weather was hotter, but basically when they disassembled it, they found plastic rubbing (maybe something else, but they didn't say). They put felt lining and soundproofing everywhere and now it's rock solid (knock on wood).
haven't heard anything after they fixed it.
Here's another video I took when my wife was driving (it's a little hard to hear, but way more evident when I was there - it was "clicking and rattling"
The disassembly took them around 6 hours of testing and troubleshooting - covered under warranty
If you can't get a service appointment quickly, there is a small "fix" you can do - if it bothers you that much:

You can take a credit card and slide it under there (make sure you can remove it!)
Now, your milage may vary, but it made things better for me until I got to the dealer.

The telltale sign of this was that the plastic (in the screenshot) would creek when pressed down. After the fix, no amount of force makes it squeak or creek.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ihave1cat:
jmaclennan (07-20-23), LexusRX350L1 (10-25-23)
Old 07-27-22, 05:30 PM
jardlr
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Just went for a ride in the back seat and the rattle is from the same panel/pic that Dorsai posted above being not secured. If I just touch it, it feels like it's going to fall off.

I guess it can wait until it goes in for its 10k service in a few months now that I know where it's coming from.

Not the end of the world, but disappointing from Lexus.
Old 07-27-22, 10:19 PM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

This happened more when the weather was hotter, but basically when they disassembled it, they found plastic rubbing (maybe something else, but they didn't say). They put felt lining and soundproofing everywhere and now it's rock solid (knock on wood).
haven't heard anything after they fixed it.
Here's another video I took when my wife was driving (it's a little hard to hear, but way more evident when I was there - it was "clicking and rattling"
https://youtu.be/ZSgny0iYBaM
The disassembly took them around 6 hours of testing and troubleshooting - covered under warranty
If you can't get a service appointment quickly, there is a small "fix" you can do - if it bothers you that much:

You can take a credit card and slide it under there (make sure you can remove it!)
Now, your milage may vary, but it made things better for me until I got to the dealer.

The telltale sign of this was that the plastic (in the screenshot) would creek when pressed down. After the fix, no amount of force makes it squeak or creek.
Doesn't really creek right now but maybe because its not as hot. I noticed it happened randomly but right now the weather is cooler.... I am going to keep note of this.
Old 07-28-22, 06:59 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Oh my goodness. This thread is cursed. Mine started doing the same thing, and now my speaker fell out... :/
Off to the dealer tomorrow....

So, Dashboard rattles = disassemble and put felt everywhere. Now my speaker falls out. My list of QC issues keeps growing.
I LOVE my dealership - they are amazing, but seriously Lexus... Your quality control is terrible.
Maybe I'll start a thread with "I am the QC-fail lottery winner" for the most issues. I'm up-to over a dozen now...
Old 07-29-22, 12:01 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Oh my goodness. This thread is cursed. Mine started doing the same thing, and now my speaker fell out... :/
Off to the dealer tomorrow....
D'oh!

The good news on my end is that I was able to press firmly on the panel on my passenger rear door and get the clip to engage. Two days later it is still firmly attached and feels the same as the non-rattling panel on the driver side. Hopefully that's all there is to it and it doesn't pop out on its own again. We shall see.
Old 07-29-22, 12:06 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

D'oh!

The good news on my end is that I was able to press firmly on the panel on my passenger rear door and get the clip to engage. Two days later it is still firmly attached and feels the same as the non-rattling panel on the driver side. Hopefully that's all there is to it and it doesn't pop out on its own again. We shall see.
thats good! Sadly not the case for mine. The clips are too loose and will fall out anyway. There are some major QC issues in the door panel, even the control panel (the one where you control the window) doesn’t line up. The dealer will most likely be replacing the entire door panel along with the leather trim and control panel.

the tolerances of the door trim are too lose and you can remove the speaker assembly from the door panel without any force with your fingers, even if you jam it in all the way.

bonus: if anyone ever wondered where the ML drivers are made (the rear ones anyway) -Mexico. I had a chance to see when the speaker was hanging out!
Old 08-07-22, 11:27 AM
JPB23
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Creaks coming from the passenger and drivers side. I haven't been able to locate the exact area, so will take it into the dealer and see if they can find the source.

Quick Reply: Dashboard rattles??