NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Is NX 450h+ engine exactly same as Rav4 Prime XSE

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-22 | 02:20 PM
adb04
Driver

Default Is NX 450h+ engine exactly same as Rav4 Prime XSE

I heard Lexus's first plugin hybrid 450h+ has similar engine as Toyota's PHEV Rav4 Prime. Is the engine exactly same, like Lexus just put it in their chasis? Or they have some level of differences in engine and battery technology?
Old 01-09-22 | 03:34 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

I was just reading an article about this same question. Bottom lines is they are very similar although the RAV has a longer EV range (42 miles v 36 for Lexus).
Old 01-09-22 | 05:05 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Doug007
I was just reading an article about this same question. Bottom lines is they are very similar although the RAV has a longer EV range (42 miles v 36 for Lexus).
I believe that is correct. The reason why the RAV4 has a longer EV range and a bit better mpg when it is operating as a hybrid is because the RAV4 Prime weighs about 400 pounds less than does the NX plug-in.
Old 01-09-22 | 06:27 PM
midcow3
Racer

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Doug007
I was just reading an article about this same question. The bottom line is they are very similar although the RAV has a longer EV range (42 miles v 36 for Lexus).
Because it weighs less. The RAV4 Prime also accelerates faster. 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds. Noisier though
Old 01-10-22 | 12:18 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Default Battery chemistry

From what I have read the Lexus version is using newer chemistry based on lithium.
Old 01-10-22 | 06:22 AM
midcow3
Racer

Unhappy please tell me Nickel-hydride is not better than Lithium-ion

Originally Posted by Pharbor
From what I have read the Lexus version is using newer chemistry based on lithium.
If what you are implying is true, then that is a really bad technology direction. Replace Nickel-hydride batteries with Lithium-ion and get less range and slower speed.
Old 01-10-22 | 07:05 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by midcow3
If what you are implying is true, then that is a really bad technology direction. Replace Nickel-hydride batteries with Lithium-ion and get less range and slower speed.
I'm certainly not an expert on battery technology, but from quite a bit of reading that I've done, I don't believe that what you are saying is entirely correct.

There seem to be advantages both to nickel metal hydroxide and to lithium ion batteries.

In extreme cold conditions, there is some indication that vehicles with lithium ion batteries may have more difficulty starting. On the other hand, lithium ion batteries have a higher power to weight ratio. Thus, they can provide the same charge capacity as a nickel metal hydroxide battery, but they can do so with lower weight, which allows for longer range when using battery power and better performance with regard to things like 0-60 times.

In any case, in the last couple of years, the industry seems to be moving from using the nickel metal hydroxide batteries to the use of lithium ion batteries, and Toyota/Lexus is one of the car makers doing so.
Old 01-10-22 | 07:46 AM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm certainly not an expert on battery technology, but from quite a bit of reading that I've done, I don't believe that what you are saying is entirely correct.

There seem to be advantages both to nickel metal hydroxide and to lithium ion batteries.

In extreme cold conditions, there is some indication that vehicles with lithium ion batteries may have more difficulty starting. On the other hand, lithium ion batteries have a higher power to weight ratio. Thus, they can provide the same charge capacity as a nickel metal hydroxide battery, but they can do so with lower weight, which allows for longer range when using battery power and better performance with regard to things like 0-60 times.

In any case, in the last couple of years, the industry seems to be moving from using the nickel metal hydroxide batteries to the use of lithium ion batteries, and Toyota/Lexus is one of the car makers doing so.
I agree with your facts about lithium-ion. If all things were equal then ( except in very cold weather) the lithium-ion would be superior (actually it seems to work better in Prius). However, if the main difference between the RAV4 Prime and the Lexus 450h+ were the batteries then the Lexus 450h+ should get better mileage and have better performance. But in actuality, the Lexus gets less EV range(450h+ = 36 or37 miles ,RAV4 Prime =42 miles) and has less performance 0to 60 mph ( 450h+ =6.0 seconds, RAV4 Prime = 5.7 seconds).and has less MPGe ( 450h+= 84 ,RAV4 Prime = 94 I find it hard to believe that the 175 lb weight (RAV4 Prime XSE = 4,300 lbs, Lexus NX 450h+ =4475 difference is the only cause. Luxury and soundproofing make Lexus cars pigs in weight.

So what is the difference? Why does the RAV4 Prime come out superior in mileage and performance?

I would get a RAV4 PRime (and there were some available now with only slight markup (ha ha one with $7,999 ADM)) except the RAV4 Prime doesn't have Mark Levinson (but then neither does NX 450h+) Lexus quietness, Lexus luxury ) a lot fewer features), Lexus looks and doesn't have redline color. Because mpg and performance RAV4 Prime is hands-down the winner ....even with Nickel- hydride batteries.

I have to get Lexus I have to get redline (without ugly cream and black interior) and I have to get Mark Levinson( if offered in 450h+ that is what I would get; well need HUD an there is a question if available in some/all 450h+ vehicles)

YMMV,

MidCow3