NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Anyone get the triple beam headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 10:30 AM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Anyone get the triple beam headlamps

Just wondering if anyone got their 2022 nx equipped with the triple beam lights. How do they seem to work at night. Are they bright or subdued. Thanks

Last edited by Geopoz; 01-13-22 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-12-22, 11:24 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 580 Likes on 386 Posts

This video may help you see how the triple beams work at night.

Old 01-12-22, 11:37 AM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lsft
This video may help you see how the triple beams work at night.

https://youtu.be/RlFNmQQT1QU
Thanks, I've already reviewed that video. I'm just asking for first hand opinions.
Old 01-12-22, 05:12 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

Are the triple beams adaptive (do they move in corners as you turn the steering wheel)
Old 01-12-22, 05:46 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 532 Likes on 347 Posts
Post Triple Beam - AFS and Cornering Lights

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Are the triple beams adaptive (do they move in corners as you turn the steering wheel)
I think this information is still valid for 2022 NX
"To make Lexus Triple-Beam LED Headlights even more impressive, an available Adaptive Front Lighting System will help you maintain perfect visibility on dark roads. The Adaptive Front Lighting System monitors steering and speed with a suite of sensors and will automatically adjust the angle of your low-beam headlights to improve visibility on curved roads. Automatic High Beams are another asset that uses a front-mounted camera to monitor traffic at night, detect oncoming traffic and automatically turn your high-beams off when the system is enabled to prevent blinding other drivers."

For 2022 Lexus 350h manual "
AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System)..197"

Old 01-13-22, 10:52 AM
VomieroEmu
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting. I saw a video review of the lighting, not sure if the same as above, that mentioned the '22 lost the ability to turn side to side.

Im inclined to believe the manual over of a YT review.
The following users liked this post:
catchtanya (01-20-22)
Old 01-13-22, 11:26 AM
Jawnathin
Driver

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

On my NX with triple beam LED headlights it does not appear to swivel horizontally but does seem to adjust vertically based on the pitch of the car. I assume the horizontal swivel feature is documented in the manual as it's available in other markets. However in my experience the beam pattern is wide and the road is well illuminated. The swivel would be a cool feature to have but feels like it would be more of a novelty than a practical benefit and I feel the same way about my other vehicles that have swivel. Also note the cornering lamps helps illuminate the sides of the vehicle.

Also worth mentioning is the automatic adaptive high beams as documented on page 227 in the user's manual is only full high beam on-off. It does not dynamically adjust the light pattern relative to other vehicles on the road. When it comes to turning on and off, I've found the sensitivity is well tuned and it quickly turns itself on when appropriately dark and turns off to not blind other drivers.

The US is behind other countries when it comes to approving these advanced lighting safety features. Perhaps there is a way to program it in. I would be more interested in having the dynamic adaptive high beams feature than the swivel feature.
Old 01-13-22, 11:41 AM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
On my NX with triple beam LED headlights it does not appear to swivel horizontally but does seem to adjust vertically based on the pitch of the car. I assume the horizontal swivel feature is documented in the manual as it's available in other markets. However in my experience the beam pattern is wide and the road is well illuminated. The swivel would be a cool feature to have but feels like it would be more of a novelty than a practical benefit and I feel the same way about my other vehicles that have swivel. Also note the cornering lamps helps illuminate the sides of the vehicle.

Also worth mentioning is the automatic adaptive high beams as documented on page 227 in the user's manual is only full high beam on-off. It does not dynamically adjust the light pattern relative to other vehicles on the road. When it comes to turning on and off, I've found the sensitivity is well tuned and it quickly turns itself on when appropriately dark and turns off to not blind other drivers.

The US is behind other countries when it comes to approving these advanced lighting safety features. Perhaps there is a way to program it in. I would be more interested in having the dynamic adaptive high beams feature than the swivel feature.
Thank you you answered alot of my questions.
Old 01-13-22, 11:43 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

Apparently the NX triple beam do not have adaptive side to side. This is important when you turn corners on a dark road the lights do not turn with the car.

This video has a demonstration.

Old 01-14-22, 08:08 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

So this thread is mixed then it appears. The manual states that the triple beams have side to side motion but the video shows it doesn't.

I can't imagine them taking that feature away when the previous NX with triple beams has AFS which do move the beams left/right depending on you turning. I get that this might be a country specific thing but I would think the US would in fact have AFS as noted by MidCow's attached picture of the manual.

-Nigel
Old 01-14-22, 08:28 AM
VomieroEmu
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
So this thread is mixed then it appears. The manual states that the triple beams have side to side motion but the video shows it doesn't.

I can't imagine them taking that feature away when the previous NX with triple beams has AFS which do move the beams left/right depending on you turning. I get that this might be a country specific thing but I would think the US would in fact have AFS as noted by MidCow's attached picture of the manual.

-Nigel
I was thinking about this.

Im wondering if the side to side feature in the 22+ NX is done via the matrix led tech [or whatever the official name is] instead of being actuated side to side. Thus making it not operable in the US as the bill to allow it here was recently signed. Not sure when it goes into effect. Just spitballing here.

If thats the case, i'm wondering if we can easily code the feature in. As an example if you're unfamiliar, VW/Audis often have more features available than was active. As long as the hardware exists, you plug into the ODB port find the feature you want to activate and do it.
Old 01-14-22, 08:31 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

They are on my f sport. They are great and the auto headlights are wonderful - a million times better then my Mazda.
Old 01-14-22, 10:55 AM
Jawnathin
Driver

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by VomieroEmu

If thats the case, i'm wondering if we can easily code the feature in. As an example if you're unfamiliar, VW/Audis often have more features available than was active. As long as the hardware exists, you plug into the ODB port find the feature you want to activate and do it.
Agreed, hoping for some ability to code in the advanced features. In addition to swivel I'd love to get the adaptive high beams.

Originally Posted by Pharbor
They are on my f sport. They are great and the auto headlights are wonderful - a million times better then my Mazda.
I also agree. While the advanced features like swivel and adaptive high beams would be an improvement, it's a very nice headlight as is. The beam is wide and bright and I do not feel that it has insufficient illumination. It is better than my previous Honda.
Old 01-14-22, 11:51 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 532 Likes on 347 Posts
Wink Might be different implementations in different countries

Originally Posted by nigel821

-Nigel
Might be different implementations in different countries. From what people have said in the USA, it auto-levels but does not swivel when you go around corners.

YMMV,
MidCow3 - LOL soon to have 3 hybrids and 1 performance car.
Old 01-14-22, 12:57 PM
bdwpac81
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Can someone confirm my observation that LED front turn signals are only included on vehicles with triple beam headlights?

Quick Reply: Anyone get the triple beam headlamps