NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Why No Panoramic Moon Roof On NX 450h+?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 02:03 PM
nucleon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why No Panoramic Moon Roof On NX 450h+?

It's time to trade out my 2013 ES350, or it would be if there were any cars to buy! I almost pulled the trigger on an Audi SQ5 Prestige, but of course there were none to be found. I had not considered the NX until my persistent Lexus salesman pointed out the new 2022 features, and the $10000 savings over a similarly equipped SQ5. And he also mentioned that Audi's have many more service issues, something which my Audi owning friends have confirmed.

So...

I'm leaning toward the 450h+ as it is the only model with horsepower even approaching the SQ5 (300 something as opposed to 350 something). I really did want the panoramic moon roof, but apparently it is not offered on the 450. Do we know why this might be? Is there a possibility of a special order? Anyone want to talk me back into the SQ5?

Thanks!!
Old 01-12-22, 02:05 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I asked the same thing to a Lexus Sales Rep.. he said the main reason is "weight" to meet their design specification.
The following users liked this post:
nucleon (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 02:10 PM
nucleon
Driver School Candidate

I guess that makes sense. It's not a deal-breaker, but it is a bit disappointing.
Old 01-12-22, 02:31 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
I asked the same thing to a Lexus Sales Rep.. he said the main reason is "weight" to meet their design specification.
That would be my guess, too.

I know that, with the ES, the pano roof has been available for the ES350, but it has not been available for the ES300h hybrid. I've read that a pano roof can add roughly 150 pounds to the weight of a vehicle. On the other hand, I believe that the pano roof is available for the NX350h hybrid, and it is also available for the RAV4 hybrid, which doesn't seem consistent if the goal is to reduce weight on electrified vehicles.
The following 3 users liked this post by lesz:
nucleon (01-12-22), Nx350fspt (03-01-22), TechNut (01-13-22)
Old 01-22-22, 07:06 AM
nucleon
Driver School Candidate

My salesman promises to investigate the possibility of an override for a special order. We'll see. The pano roof is not a deal breaker but I would like to have it. Are there any reasons to avoid it?
Old 03-01-22, 06:08 AM
nucleon
Driver School Candidate

Now they are saying that we won't get any 450h+'s here in the South until late in the year, and it will probably be a 2023 model.

And they don't offer the Mark Levinson sound system on the 450h+. I got in touch with Lexus itself to see if these restrictions could be overridden. Not only No, but HELL NO. And oh by the way, you can't really even place a custom order anymore...

Dear (me), Thank you for contacting Lexus about the possibility of placing a special order. Lexus dealers work with our area offices to allocate vehicles based on commonly preferred vehicle packages, color combinations, and options that will sell best within each geographical area. As such, certain packages and options may not be available in all areas of the country, while other options may be available, but only as part of a combination of packages. While we do not offer special ordering on our vehicles, Lexus dealerships are prepared to take your request and make every effort to obtain your desired vehicle. If the dealership is unable to locate the vehicle of choice, they may submit a preference request for your desired vehicle. Keep in mind, this preference request does not guarantee you will receive the vehicle with the exact options requested. Did you know Lexus Drivers at https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...rds-and-events is the best way to learn about our current and future vehicles, and our exclusive rewards and events? You can also visit our Lexus Pressroom at https://pressroom.lexus.com/ or follow us on social media at https://pressroom.lexus.com/social/ and join our community. We hope this provides clarity to your inquiry. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us. Sincerely, Bionkia S. Lexus Brand Engagement Center

Wonderful times we're living in...I'm getting more and more tempted to go with an Audi SQ5. Or a Tesla.
Old 03-01-22, 06:21 AM
NiCoRe
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Panoramic roof and M&L are unavailable worldwide for 450h+. There are no workarounds at this time.
There may be structural constraints on top of weight issues
Old 03-01-22, 06:24 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

These first units are being built in Japan. Perhaps those omissions are due to line differences there. I highly doubt weight is a real issue, the 450H+ has more HP than the 350H that has both those features available.

The Canadian plant is just getting rolling this month. I suspect those features will show up in the Canadian built units, but that's a guess on my part. Parts shortages and the border blockades of early last month played havoc with the assembly plants on both sides of the border. Add to that a whole new vehicle and you can imagine the complexities.
Old 03-01-22, 06:39 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
These first units are being built in Japan. Perhaps those omissions are due to line differences there. I highly doubt weight is a real issue, the 450H+ has more HP than the 350H that has both those features available.

The Canadian plant is just getting rolling this month. I suspect those features will show up in the Canadian built units, but that's a guess on my part. Parts shortages and the border blockades of early last month played havoc with the assembly plants on both sides of the border. Add to that a whole new vehicle and you can imagine the complexities.
is there a source you can share about the Canadian plant? I just spoke with my Lexus dealer (I’m close to Cambridge, where the Canada Toyota plant is) and they don’t have an ETA on the retooling situation and the Canadian NX production run yet.
Old 03-01-22, 06:43 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
is there a source you can share about the Canadian plant? I just spoke with my Lexus dealer (I’m close to Cambridge, where the Canada Toyota plant is) and they don’t have an ETA on the retooling situation and the Canadian NX production run yet.
Can't recall where I read that production starts this month, likely one of the car rags I read on-line. Lexus is very tight lipped on what's actually going on.
Old 03-01-22, 07:19 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Everything I have read says that the 450H will be built only in Japan - all the other NXs will be built in Canada.
Old 03-01-22, 03:09 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I can not see weight as the issue, unless the TNGA-K is at it design limit. That is hard to believe, since it would also mean the Rav4P with its pan roof was getting close also.

Packaging issue? The battery is under the car floor. Again hard to believe a few speakers/bigger digital amp could not be squeezed in somewhere.

Could it just be MSRP? Lexus did not want to exceed some upper marketing limit that we are not privy too? In other words, just a market positioning issue. It would seem the ML and pan roof would add be a min of $1500. Maybe as much at $2500.

Even more conspiracy theory, they want to limit sells of 450+, make it less undesirable. LOL. OK. Hopefully just a crazy thought.

Just some pondering thoughts.....to this odd options restriction for a top tier trim for options that are very desirable to some. One reason, I skipped the 450h+.
Old 03-01-22, 06:36 PM
KingKewl
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gcskoor
I can not see weight as the issue, unless the TNGA-K is at it design limit. That is hard to believe, since it would also mean the Rav4P with its pan roof was getting close also.

Packaging issue? The battery is under the car floor. Again hard to believe a few speakers/bigger digital amp could not be squeezed in somewhere.

Could it just be MSRP? Lexus did not want to exceed some upper marketing limit that we are not privy too? In other words, just a market positioning issue. It would seem the ML and pan roof would add be a min of $1500. Maybe as much at $2500.

Even more conspiracy theory, they want to limit sells of 450+, make it less undesirable. LOL. OK. Hopefully just a crazy thought.

Just some pondering thoughts.....to this odd options restriction for a top tier trim for options that are very desirable to some. One reason, I skipped the 450h+.
CVRP just updated to a $60k limit. Also, the CVRP requires 35 miles or more in pure EV for a PHEV.
Old 03-01-22, 10:04 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKewl
CVRP just updated to a $60k limit. Also, the CVRP requires 35 miles or more in pure EV for a PHEV.
Who knows..for sure.
,I suspect Lexus has smart lobbyists and top of new laws/policies and CA is a big EV market, so.... yeah, let keep the price so folks will buy more with the rebates.
Old 03-02-22, 07:02 AM
gwang267
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gcskoor

I have spoken to some Lexus Canada Corporate engineers and I believe weight is a major concern hence the lack of M&L and Pano roof. As is the 450H+ already lost out on a noticeable amount of EV range due to weight in comparison with the rav4 Prime.

Quick Reply: Why No Panoramic Moon Roof On NX 450h+?