Digital Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 02:27 PM
Espresso22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Key

Hello,

I’ve read about car thefts in Canada where they relay and amplify key fob signals. I use a faraday box for my fobs. What about digital key on iPhones using NFC? Is that technology safe or have you guys heard anything about hacks/thefts?
Old 01-12-22, 02:51 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 630 Likes on 417 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Espresso22
Hello,

I’ve read about car thefts in Canada where they relay and amplify key fob signals. I use a faraday box for my fobs. What about digital key on iPhones using NFC? Is that technology safe or have you guys heard anything about hacks/thefts?
You do realize when the key FOB is being used is when it is most vulnerable and during that time it is not inside a Faraday box and therefore is not protected. Near Field Technology (NFC) is secure but I am not sure how it can be or it will be implemented on the Lexus digital key in the future.

YMMV,
Midcow3
Old 01-12-22, 04:01 PM
DaveDude
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

A Faraway box or bag is one part of reducing thefts. Thieves can create a new FOB by getting close to your front door late at night to amplify the signal. Otherwise they will gain entry to your car by smashing a window, pick a lock and then connect to the OBD port to create a new FOB. Surprising the old original CLUB seems to still be an effective deterrent as many thieves will move on. Unless they really want your car.
Old 01-13-22, 10:46 AM
VomieroEmu
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been seeing this same thing repeated on forums by folks in the GTA since at least 2016. I've never actually heard of a case of it being real. Obviously not every car theft news story goes through me first. It just seems like BS at this juncture but, also curious i've only seen it from people from the GTA.
The following users liked this post:
unkind2cat (01-13-22)
Old 01-13-22, 03:56 PM
DaveDude
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VomieroEmu
I've been seeing this same thing repeated on forums by folks in the GTA since at least 2016. I've never actually heard of a case of it being real. Obviously not every car theft news story goes through me first. It just seems like BS at this juncture but, also curious i've only seen it from people from the GTA.
Definitely an issue in the GTA. Lexus, Toyota Highlanders and Honda CRV's the preferred vehicles. They are stolen in the Toronto area and within 24 hours are crated and put on a ship in Montreal on their way down the St Lawrence river on there way to Africa. Many reports of Lexus SUV's driving around Africa with Ontario plates.

Basically any vehicle with a push button start can be stolen easily by connecting to the OBD port with a laptop. . Although they prefer Japanese as they are more reliable as parts are hard to get in Africa. They are now putting Airtags on vehicles in malls to track them for late night theft. My neighbours have lost a Highlander and a CRV. I park my Lexus in my garage.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/gone-in-3...ario-1.5699987

Last edited by DaveDude; 01-13-22 at 04:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lsft (01-13-22)