NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Hitch Integration

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-22, 01:41 PM
maktub
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mbezzo
Any word on if/when the Activity Mount will be available again? I actually really want one because we'll only be carrying bikes... Last I heard in early summer it had been discontinued or something due to manufacturing problems/defects? Anyone know where to get one at this point? They seem to be out of stock everywhere...
I'll sell you mine when I get a class 3 hitch installed.

Seriously, you might find one for sale in these forums.
Old 09-27-22, 01:48 PM
maktub
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
Out of curiosity what do you plan to haul? The reason I ask is a 1.25" to 2,00 " adapter would accommodate most haul requirements albeit you would have another connection point. However, I found that even with the 1.25" I had to put an extension on for a bike rack because the bike rack was too close to the car.

The bottom line is the 2022 Lexus NX is not a big tower. So again I ask what gain does the 2 '' hitch buy you ?

YMMV,
Midvpw3
I'm interested in a 2" hitch for the following reasons:
  • Stability: When towing, another part (adapter) which could come loose could cause wobble.
  • Compatibility: More 2" options out there.
  • Tongue weight: All the good 4 bike flat racks, and cargo racks are heavy (and also 2").
  • Noise: Same as stability. An adapter can come loose and cause noise.
The following users liked this post:
Dunerking (01-16-23)
Old 09-27-22, 01:49 PM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by maktub
I'll sell you mine when I get a class 3 hitch installed.

Seriously, you might find one for sale in these forums.

Yeah, good thinking! At this rate it may be the only way! Def DM me when the time comes! (And if anyone else is interested...)
Old 11-03-22, 06:52 PM
TMsr5
10th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

does it work with the kick sensor? Looks good!
I recently had the OEM tow hitch (PW960-78005) installed on my NX450h+. To get the kick sensor to work, the dealership supposedly had to order a new sensor set (8910A-78010) and install it to the left of the receiver. There's no mention of this step in the installation manual though.

What the installation manual does state, however, is that the lower bumper cover needs to be cut in three places. The kit comes with templates but the dealership didn't use them. My bumper looked really bad after they freehanded the cuts. I told them it looked excessive and horrible. Also, the sides didn't need to be cut as evidenced in Detonator's photos. Ultimately, I had the lower bumper cover replaced without the sides being cut. To my disappointment, they still didn't use the template to cut the center where the receiver protrudes and they cut a bit too much.

Initial installation, left side

Initial installation, right side

Step in manual that shows cuts are required
Old 11-04-22, 07:02 AM
FWCA
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TMsr5
I recently had the OEM tow hitch (PW960-78005) installed on my NX450h+. To get the kick sensor to work, the dealership supposedly had to order a new sensor set (8910A-78010) and install it to the left of the receiver. There's no mention of this step in the installation manual though.

What the installation manual does state, however, is that the lower bumper cover needs to be cut in three places. The kit comes with templates but the dealership didn't use them. My bumper looked really bad after they freehanded the cuts. I told them it looked excessive and horrible. Also, the sides didn't need to be cut as evidenced in Detonator's photos. Ultimately, I had the lower bumper cover replaced without the sides being cut. To my disappointment, they still didn't use the template to cut the center where the receiver protrudes and they cut a bit too much.

Wow, the workmanship is so bad. I booked an appointment to install the OEM activity mount (this is what they call the hitch in Canada). Now, I'm scared.
Old 11-04-22, 07:59 AM
NoMoreEv
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TMsr5

There is no way I would accept that crappy workmanship from a Lexus dealer! I would ask them to get a new bumper cover and redo it again.
The following 3 users liked this post by NoMoreEv:
Doug007 (03-25-23), Dunerking (01-17-23), StarfireIS (12-03-22)
Old 11-04-22, 09:16 AM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

yeah that is... embarrassingly bad. I can't even believe they delivered that to you! WOW! That was from a legit Lexus dealership!?
StarfireIS (12-03-22)
Old 11-04-22, 10:23 AM
TMsr5
10th Gear

yeah that is... embarrassingly bad. I can't even believe they delivered that to you! WOW! That was from a legit Lexus dealership!?
Yep, from a legit Lexus dealership and it’s definitely embarrassingly bad workmanship. They claimed their technician followed the instructions, too. If I were there when the car was delivered I would have addressed it then and there.

After I sent pictures to the service consultant and followed up with them in person to review their work, they agreed to replace the lower bumper cover and redo it.

I hope others have a better installation experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by TMsr5:
SgtLip (06-25-23), StarfireIS (12-03-22)
Old 11-04-22, 01:27 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I got tired of waiting for the hitch to become available and I solve my problem by buying an old FJ cruiser. The Lexus has been sitting in my garage and I’ve been having fun with the FJ. Also, it came with a spare and a jack 🤣🤣🤣
SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 12-15-22, 12:16 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by FWCA
Wow, the workmanship is so bad. I booked an appointment to install the OEM activity mount (this is what they call the hitch in Canada). Now, I'm scared.
Activity mount is NOT the same as a hitch. US and Canadian Terminologies are common. These are different parts. Activity mount can not be used for towing anything. Only bike racks. A Tow Hitch is meant for towing.
Old 01-09-23, 04:13 AM
NavySubs
10th Gear

rejus, thanks for this post. I have the NX450h+ F-sport and been trying to find out if that hitch would work. Can you tell me if there were any difficulties in installing. Do we just have to drop the exhaust and bolt on? Does your kick sensor still work? Thanks for any information you can provide. I might be ordering this today.
Old 01-11-23, 01:48 PM
NavySubs
10th Gear

Default Lexus Install Cost

Hi, I asked Lexus of Wesley Chapel about the cost of the hitch installed. They quoted $1,440. Seems high to me even for Lexus Anyone have the Lexus 2” hitch install and if so what was the cost installed. thinking I might just by the hitch and have it installed somewhere else. Thanks for any information that anyone can provide.
Old 01-11-23, 04:35 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by NavySubs
Hi, I asked Lexus of Wesley Chapel about the cost of the hitch installed. They quoted $1,440. Seems high to me even for Lexus Anyone have the Lexus 2” hitch install and if so what was the cost installed. thinking I might just by the hitch and have it installed somewhere else. Thanks for any information that anyone can provide.
Ask them how much of that is for electrical wiring and how much mechanical.

I think since NX didn't come with a tow wiring converter they might need to run wires from engine compartment to back to feed the required power.
SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 01-12-23, 06:21 AM
mangust
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

For the record my dealer's quote:

OEM Lexus hitch with wiring $1149.00 plus tax
OEM Lexus hitch without wiring $699 plus tax
The following 3 users liked this post by mangust:
maktub (08-07-23), NavySubs (01-12-23), SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 01-13-23, 12:19 AM
nycevan
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in Tampa and looking for places to install a hitch (just for bike rack). Let me know fi you come up with anything. Most places I called will order the draw tite one which the part is only about $200.

Quick Reply: Hitch Integration