NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Hitch Integration

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-23, 03:05 PM
RicPoirier
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newguytoda
Yes the hybrid hanger/bushing would work. But be aware that the hybrid bushing has only 2 holes vs 3 on the non-hybrid. I think the exhaust muffler may be heavier on the non-hybrid hence the different design.

Part numbers below that I ordered from lexus. It's also available in ebay.
PS: they're the same as the rav4
From the picture of the Draw-Tite 76634 on their web site (https://www.draw-tite.com/product/76...-trailer-hitch) and the pics in the installation procedure pdf, it appears that this part might solve the OEM 3-hole exhaust hanger issue. Has anyone tried it or have any information about it? For that matter I was only able to find it for buying at Hitch Warehouse at the steep price of $615
http://www.hitchwarehouse.com/Toyota...2376634/76634/

While I’m here, does anyone know why the 76634 and the 76201 don’t fit on the NX 350 F-Sport? Apart from the hanger issue, would it fit if the lower part of the bumper cover be cut like the instructions (or similar) given for installing the OEM tow hitch?
Old 04-19-23, 05:15 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out my thread,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...50h-hitch.html

put the Curt hitch on my wifes 2023 NX350H. Took about 45 minutes, no wiring harness.
Old 04-20-23, 09:38 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm just on the Reese hitch website and they list one for our vehicle. Link below. Has anyone tried this one? Does it fit any better than the others?

Reese Towpower | 84634 | Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch Receiver, Black, Compatible with Lexus NX250, NX350h, NX450h+ : Toyota, RAV4

Old 04-23-23, 03:42 PM
RicPoirier
5th Gear

This post answers the questions that I had about the Draw-Tite 76201 trailer hitch. This forum is a great source of info but I'll summarize the process I went through to select and install the later on my NX 350 F-Sport. Draw-Tite indicates that the 76201 does not fit on the F-Sport models and this is true. The only reason that I can think of is the fact that the 3-hole muffler hangers get in the way. Changing those hangers for the Rav4's, NX250, NX350H or NX450H hangers would solve the problem but this is not the route that I choose because I preferred to keep the more heady-duty hangers (at least they look like they are) and save of $100. I noticed that the Curt 13498 hitch has a different design that accepts the 3-hole hangers but it is rated 2000 lbs instead of 4500 lbs like the Draw-Tite. Therefore, I bought Draw-Tite 76201 and used my grinder to remove a piece of metal on both side to make it look more like the Curt so I figure that my Draw-Tite is now rate at 2000 lbs which is what the NX 350 is rated for. I started by installing it without the hangers in the way to mark where to cut the hitch. I can also mention that I did not find the Curt 13498 or the Draw-Tite 76634 that I mentioned earlier for purchasing in Canada. That also pushed me towards the 76201 if I didn't want to dish out the total for the Lexus OEM hitch. I didn't have to cut the bumper. I find the hitch to stand a little low at 2" below the bumper and 8 inches from the ground and but I think that I can live with that. Time will tell!

Old 04-28-23, 03:51 PM
RicPoirier
5th Gear

Originally Posted by newguytoda
The tekonsha TK73VR on etrailer states that it works on all models of 2022 NX. However, the wiring is not correct and required rewiring the connectors(at least for a 2022 NX 350). Afterwards, it works fine.

The issue was that all the connectors should have been rotated 180 degrees. The below picture is the left side plug. Right side plug has similar issue.

Also, the 76201 hitch does not fit the 350 model (non hybrid) without some modifications. It bolts to the frame fine, but the left and right exhaust hangar mounts interfere with the hitch and require fabrication of new brackets.
I encountered the same problem today with the Tekonsha 118868. I think they inverted the female/male connectors.
Old 04-28-23, 04:01 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

I can not find anywhere that this T-connector fits the 23 NX.

So you know where I can find the info?

I have find any T-connectors for the 23/24 NXh.
Old 04-28-23, 04:10 PM
RicPoirier
5th Gear

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I can not find anywhere that this T-connector fits the 23 NX.

So you know where I can find the info?

I have find any T-connectors for the 23/24 NXh.
https://www.tekonsha.com/product/118...ector-assembly

This is suppose to fit all NX 250, 350 and 450
Old 04-28-23, 04:23 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-28-23, 11:02 PM
2BEALEXUS2
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to chime in on the Hitch and Wiring topics. I am sorry if this drags out but would like to give as much detail on my situation so it may help others with theirs cause it seems by this thread a lot of people have questions or concerns. I am working with a 2023 NX350h so I can not really confirm or speak on other models.

I will say this about quite a few websites. Just because it says it will fit a NX350 does not mean it will fit the NX350h.....DO NOT ASSUME THAT!!!!!

Ok..... On the hitch I decided to go with the Draw-Tite 76201. These are made for the design of the Toyota Rav4 bumper more but the hitch bolts right up to the NX350h. The hitch does hang down farther than the OEM hitch but not require cutting and removal of the bumper for install and is way cheaper than OEM. I bought mine on Marketplace from a shop that the customer never paid for brand new with wiring for $100 bucks...smoking deal I think

Now the wiring issue. The wiring I got with the hitch is Tekonsha 119191 which is a universal wiring kit. This kit requires splicing into the factory harness to make work and splicing for me is always a last resort. I purchased the Tekonsha 118868 already like others above but this one is supposed to be plug and play. Again here is the ASSUME issue as it says NX350 but nothing about the NX350h. After attempting to install, the connectors do plug into the factory harnesses without a problem but I completed the install and still had no voltage at the trailer plug. I did some digging deeper into it and realized that the factory harness is using up 5 pins in the harness and the Tekonsha 118868 has 8 pins being used in their harness. The remaining 3 pins on the Tekonsha harness are not being utilized by the factory harness.

Like the Tekonsha TK73VR harness, the Tekonsha 118868 harness will probably need to be rewired to work as a plug and play harness.

Questions I have that someone may be able to answer:

How many pins are being used in the harness for the Tekonsha TK73VR?

Does anyone have in detail what wires need to be flipped on the harnesses for the Tekonsha TK73VR or the Tekonsha 118868?

I am asking ^^^^^^these questions^^^^^^ in case someone else buys those harnesses and wants to wire them up correctly.

After all of the headaches I have returned the Tekonsha 118868 and decided to use the Tekonsha 119191 universal harness. I will have to splice in the wires so I ordered better T tap connecters so I do not have to use the cheap ones from the kit.

On the factory harness, can anyone tell me which wires are for turn, running lights, brake lights or have the wiring diagram for the NX350h? I am going to check each one with a test light but would like to get some verification from you guys as well. Hope my situation helps others while getting some help too!!!!

Thanks for any input you guys have on the wiring.........

Old 05-01-23, 07:15 AM
CodyWSMB01
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NavySubs;[url=tel:11427177
11427177[/url]]Hi, I asked Lexus of Wesley Chapel about the cost of the hitch installed. They quoted $1,440. Seems high to me even for Lexus Anyone have the Lexus 2” hitch install and if so what was the cost installed. thinking I might just by the hitch and have it installed somewhere else. Thanks for any information that anyone can provide.
HA!! I have a 2023, the dealer has ignored my requests several times. I called them 3x asking them for a hitch with wiring installation as my NX250 has the towing package. However, they keep telling me they will call me back, and whenever I asked a tech they said they don’t know how to install the harness as they allegedly don’t have one made by Lexus..

How can you have a vehicle capable of towing 2K lbs without a wiring harness that is required by law!?
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 05-01-23, 02:44 PM
CodyWSMB01
5th Gear

Originally Posted by CodyWSMB01
HA!! I have a 2023, the dealer has ignored my requests several times. I called them 3x asking them for a hitch with wiring installation as my NX250 has the towing package. However, they keep telling me they will call me back, and whenever I asked a tech they said they don’t know how to install the harness as they allegedly don’t have one made by Lexus..

How can you have a vehicle capable of towing 2K lbs without a wiring harness that is required by law!?
update:

For anyone in the Tampa/Orlando area that needs a hitch/wiring harness take it to Todd’s Motortown in Lakeland. They were able to install the Curt wiring harness with some changing of wiring on the right turn signal. I’m not sure what exactly it took to make it work, but they were able to get it done within a few hours. I’m so happy, and the pricing was really good.
SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 05-01-23, 09:36 PM
2BEALEXUS2
4th Gear

Lexus has not handled the hitch and wiring scenario professionally and in a timely manner from my perspective. It was one thing with not being available and the "stop sale orders", but advertising the vehicle with the options and accessories but not yet having the supplies is technically false advertisement. Lexus does have some 2024s listed with a available option ( Tow Package ) and then the hitch assembly which shows wiring plug in the picture as an accessory that can be added. Hopefully Lexus handles the situation better then what they have up to this point.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2BEALEXUS2:
CodyWSMB01 (05-01-23), SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 05-01-23, 09:55 PM
2BEALEXUS2
4th Gear

update:

For anyone in the Tampa/Orlando area that needs a hitch/wiring harness take it to Todd’s Motortown in Lakeland. They were able to install the Curt wiring harness with some changing of wiring on the right turn signal. I’m not sure what exactly it took to make it work, but they were able to get it done within a few hours. I’m so happy, and the pricing was really good.
Glad to see you got everything worked out on your side. Todds probably used a Curt Universal kit as every plug and play kit seems to be wired incorrectly. I finished up the wiring today on my NX350h. I used the Tekonsha 119191 Universal kit and just spliced in the wires on both sides. As I said before, splicing is my last resort but I made sure to splice in between the harness clip and the taillight bulb. This way down the road if I ever have a problem, I could easily change the harness from the clip to the bulb for under $30 bucks.

Even if you could get the parts from Lexus, you saved yourself hundreds the way you went. With the new tap connectors i bought to splice, hitch and wiring, I am all in at $112 dollars.....That is a deal!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by 2BEALEXUS2:
CodyWSMB01 (05-01-23), SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 05-01-23, 11:56 PM
CodyWSMB01
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 2BEALEXUS2
Lexus has not handled the hitch and wiring scenario professionally and in a timely manner from my perspective. It was one thing with not being available and the "stop sale orders", but advertising the vehicle with the options and accessories but not yet having the supplies is technically false advertisement. Lexus does have some 2024s listed with a available option ( Tow Package ) and then the hitch assembly which shows wiring plug in the picture as an accessory that can be added. Hopefully Lexus handles the situation better then what they have up to this point.
yikes! I really hope they fix that issue. I don’t understand why they couldn’t just provide both parts. They make the wiring every day for their vehicles, how could they not be able to put together a little extra wiring, from their excess wiring to make a proper factory harness? It doesn’t make any sense. They could easily sell it and install it as an extra cost at the dealership, or make it part of the tow package. It’s been super frustrating to be honest.
SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 05-02-23, 12:10 AM
CodyWSMB01
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 2BEALEXUS2
Glad to see you got everything worked out on your side. Todds probably used a Curt Universal kit as every plug and play kit seems to be wired incorrectly. I finished up the wiring today on my NX350h. I used the Tekonsha 119191 Universal kit and just spliced in the wires on both sides. As I said before, splicing is my last resort but I made sure to splice in between the harness clip and the taillight bulb. This way down the road if I ever have a problem, I could easily change the harness from the clip to the bulb for under $30 bucks.

Even if you could get the parts from Lexus, you saved yourself hundreds the way you went. With the new tap connectors i bought to splice, hitch and wiring, I am all in at $112 dollars.....That is a deal!!!!
I am glad you got yours working! I tried to get Uhaul to install the same one you did, but for whatever reason they kept saying it was going to “screw up the computer.” Todd’s was saying they’d use the one you have if the Curt brand didn’t work.

So instead I think Todd’s ended up using the Curt branded system, but he said having to wire it up differently than “normal” to make it work correctly. The problem was the Curt system was working for everything except for the right turn signal. Apparently it was just wired into it incorrectly based on the color of the harness Vs the light.. I couldn’t be happier with Todd’s figuring it out and getting it fixed 🥳
SgtLip (06-25-23)

Quick Reply: Hitch Integration