NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Hitch Integration

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22, 07:49 AM
newguytoda
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ctripps2k
Has anyone had any experience with a wiring harness? Recommendations on brand? Any instructions? Maybe some videos?
The tekonsha TK73VR on etrailer states that it works on all models of 2022 NX. However, the wiring is not correct and required rewiring the connectors(at least for a 2022 NX 350). Afterwards, it works fine.

The issue was that all the connectors should have been rotated 180 degrees. The below picture is the left side plug. Right side plug has similar issue.

Also, the 76201 hitch does not fit the 350 model (non hybrid) without some modifications. It bolts to the frame fine, but the left and right exhaust hangar mounts interfere with the hitch and require fabrication of new brackets.

The following 2 users liked this post by newguytoda:
maktub (08-07-23), pinkpower (07-11-22)
Old 07-11-22, 09:56 AM
gman2727
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by newguytoda
The tekonsha TK73VR on etrailer states that it works on all models of 2022 NX. However, the wiring is not correct and required rewiring the connectors(at least for a 2022 NX 350). Afterwards, it works fine.

The issue was that all the connectors should have been rotated 180 degrees. The below picture is the left side plug. Right side plug has similar issue.

Also, the 76201 hitch does not fit the 350 model (non hybrid) without some modifications. It bolts to the frame fine, but the left and right exhaust hangar mounts interfere with the hitch and require fabrication of new brackets.
Looks like this harness accommodate 4 pins; however, have you seen or do you know if there a 7 pin version that would accommodate a trailer with electric brakes?
Old 07-11-22, 10:48 AM
newguytoda
Rookie

Originally Posted by gman2727
Looks like this harness accommodate 4 pins; however, have you seen or do you know if there a 7 pin version that would accommodate a trailer with electric brakes?
You would need another adapter that plugs into the 4 pin and converts to the 7 way round connector. It's easy because the power wire would already be there from that tekonsha adapter. You may need to run another wire to the front for the electric controller.

My setup is having the flat 4 pin (from the tekonsha kit), and a SAE battery connector in the trunk(its connected to the power wire from the tekonsha kit and a ground point). When I'm towing, I route both wire bundles out the trunk; the trunk lid doesn't harm the wires due to being flat and the rubber trunk seals. The 7 way adapter sits on the trailer as opposed to the tow vehicle. I wired the the opposite end of the SAE battery connector to the 7 way adapter' power and ground. I don't use the brake or reverse light wires as I use a curt echo wireless controller.

I'll take a picture later if I remember.

Last edited by newguytoda; 07-11-22 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-11-22, 11:17 AM
gman2727
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by newguytoda
You would need another adapter that plugs into the 4 pin and converts to the 7 way round connector. It's easy because the power wire would already be there from that tekonsha adapter. You may need to run another wire to the front for the electric controller.

My setup is having the flat 4 pin (from the tekonsha kit), and a SAE battery connector in the trunk(its connected to the power wire from the tekonsha kit and a ground point). When I'm towing, I route both wire bundles out the trunk; the trunk lid doesn't harm the wires due to being flat and the rubber trunk seals. The 7 way adapter sits on the trailer as opposed to the tow vehicle. I wired the the opposite end of the SAE battery connector to the 7 way adapter' power and ground. I don't use the brake or reverse light wires as I use a curt echo wireless controller.

I'll take a picture later if I remember.
That would be great as I am definitely a visual learner! I currently have a Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller but it does require a 7 pin connector to operate correctly.
Old 07-11-22, 01:13 PM
pinkpower
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhaul has the wire thing for $69. Uhaul wants to charge like $100+ for the installation.
Old 07-11-22, 06:14 PM
newguytoda
Rookie

Originally Posted by gman2727
That would be great as I am definitely a visual learner! I currently have a Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller but it does require a 7 pin connector to operate correctly.

Old 07-30-22, 06:09 PM
SonGoKhoo
7th Gear

Hey guys!

I just got my 2022 NX450h+ F Sport that actually had a 1.25" activity mount installed at the factory. Didn't realize until I got home it was a 1.25" and tried to get my 2" bike rack on and found out it was a no go. Decided to try an adapter and found it was waaaaay too loose and kept worrying about my bikes wobbling around while I was driving. So I tried a hitch stabilizer only, which didn't really work. Did more research and discovered that adding the adapter cuts the tongue weight by like half! Which is already only 150lbs. So now I found this message forum and was looking at just replacing the dark 1.25" hitch with something better. I tried looking at the Draw-Tite hitch but it says "except F Sport". Great. Anyone know of a hitch that will work with a 450h+ F Sport? I'm going a little crazy now trying to get something that will support a bike rack and two mountain bikes! TIA!!
Old 07-30-22, 08:55 PM
Ockham
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SonGoKhoo
Hey guys!

I just got my 2022 NX450h+ F Sport that actually had a 1.25" activity mount installed at the factory. Didn't realize until I got home it was a 1.25" and tried to get my 2" bike rack on and found out it was a no go. Decided to try an adapter and found it was waaaaay too loose and kept worrying about my bikes wobbling around while I was driving. So I tried a hitch stabilizer only, which didn't really work. Did more research and discovered that adding the adapter cuts the tongue weight by like half! Which is already only 150lbs. So now I found this message forum and was looking at just replacing the dark 1.25" hitch with something better. I tried looking at the Draw-Tite hitch but it says "except F Sport". Great. Anyone know of a hitch that will work with a 450h+ F Sport? I'm going a little crazy now trying to get something that will support a bike rack and two mountain bikes! TIA!!
Get a new bike rack?
Old 07-30-22, 10:47 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking 1.25 to 2.00 adapters

Hey guys!

There are a lot of 1.25"" to 2.00" adapters that will work very well for a bike rack.

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - I still ride my classic oldie, carbon fiber bike

Last edited by midcow3; 07-31-22 at 10:06 AM. Reason: 0.02" off
Old 07-31-22, 10:02 AM
SonGoKhoo
7th Gear

Originally Posted by midcow3
There are a lot of 1.23 to 2.00 adapters that will work very well for a bike rack.

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - I still ride my classic oldie, carbon fiber bike
I got one, but I've seen people and the hitch store guys warn me that adding an adapter means loosing about 50% or 40-50lbs of tongue weight off the hitch. The NX hitch only holds 150lbs. My bike rack is 40lbs, and each bike is about 32lbs. Is that safe? The hitch guys say no. That's why I'm worried.

Guess I could buy another bike rack, but I spent some good money on this 1up already.
Old 07-31-22, 10:13 AM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb You should be good

I got one, but I've seen people and the hitch store guys warn me that adding an adapter means loosing about 50% or 40-50lbs of tongue weight off the hitch. The NX hitch only holds 150lbs. My bike rack is 40lbs, and each bike is about 32lbs. Is that safe? The hitch guys say no. That's why I'm worried.

Guess I could buy another bike rack, but I spent some good money on this 1up already.
I think the hitch guy is wrong; maybe being overly cautious. Lexus with their 150 lbs estimate has already taken into account the loss of tongue weight. You are not trying to pull a trailer. The bike rack and bikes should be fine

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-01-22, 02:04 AM
lt23
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You didn't get the activity mount instruction card that came with the car?

Old 08-01-22, 02:08 AM
lt23
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless adding the adapter decreases load capacity even more?
Old 08-01-22, 07:24 AM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb adapter adds 6 inchesl get stabilizer

Originally Posted by lt23
Unless adding the adapter decreases load capacity even more?
1.25" to 2.00 inch typically adds 6 inches to the hitch moment arm.

get this stabilizer to tighten the adapter and stop rattling.

Old 08-01-22, 09:26 AM
SonGoKhoo
7th Gear

No I didn't get this card! I just went looking through the manuals and everything and didn't find it. Thanks for the post of the photo!

I did get a stabilizer so I'm hoping that will do the trick for now.

Quick Reply: Hitch Integration