NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Hitch Integration

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 09:40 AM
SonGoKhoo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lt23
Unless adding the adapter decreases load capacity even more?
Here's what the "expert" says from eTrailers.comYou are experiencing a common dilemma. The use of any adapter does decrease the hitch tongue weight capacity by 50%. If your MKX Class II hitch offers a 350 lbs tongue weight capacity then with an adapter the bikes and rack combined cannot exceed 175 lbs. For most applications this would be sufficient but not knowing your bikes and how much they weight I cannot tell you for certain if this will work.Should you decide to go with an adapter we would recommend an anti rattle lock to secure the adapter to the receiver hitch. You can view our adapters and anti rattle locks using the links below.
expert reply by: Heather
Old 08-01-22, 10:30 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by SonGoKhoo
Here's wThonk ahat the "expert" says from eTrailers.comYou are experiencing a common dilemma. The use of any adapter does decrease the hitch tongue weight capacity by 50%. If your MKX Class II hitch offers a 350 lbs tongue weight capacity then with an adapter the bikes and rack combined cannot exceed 175 lbs. For most applications this would be sufficient but not knowing your bikes and how much they weight I cannot tell you for certain if this will work.Should you decide to go with an adapter we would recommend an anti rattle lock to secure the adapter to the receiver hitch. You can view our adapters and anti rattle locks using the links below.
expert reply by: Heather
From an engineering standpoint, your "expert" is full of baloney for a 6-inch adapter( 1.25 to 2.00) extension, Your expert may be thinking of a typical 18-inch 2-inch to 2-inch extension, which yes would significantly reduce allowable tongue weight and then 50 % would be a reasonable reduction amount.

Think about it simple leverage physics; it depends on the length of the moment arm, in this case, the extension. Most 1.25 to 2,00 adapters are 6 inches. This will offer a minimal reduction of tongue weight more likely in the 5-10% range, but not 50%

If you plan on pulling a trailer, use an extremely short tongue and still be cautious. Lexus does not recommend this because even a short extension reduces tongue weight. The Lexus is rated at 2000 lbs towing weight and tongue weight is usually 10-15% of towing weight or 200-300lbsl Lexus says their accessory is rated at 150 lbs which is probably conservative, but even with a 6-inch adapter extension, you should be able to carry a bike rack and at least 2 bicycles. In most cases, unless you have very heavy bikes you could carry 3 bikes.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-02-22, 05:49 PM
SonGoKhoo
7th Gear

Thanks! It really made me wonder how you would loose 50% from a 6" adapter. It just didn't seem to "calculate" out. I think these guys just hear it and spew the "fact" out to who ever asks.
Old 08-14-22, 01:36 PM
l3ruce
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default U-Haul receiver installed on F-Sport 450h+

Hey guys!

I just got my 2022 NX450h+ F Sport that actually had a 1.25" activity mount installed at the factory. Didn't realize until I got home it was a 1.25" and tried to get my 2" bike rack on and found out it was a no go. Decided to try an adapter and found it was waaaaay too loose and kept worrying about my bikes wobbling around while I was driving. So I tried a hitch stabilizer only, which didn't really work. Did more research and discovered that adding the adapter cuts the tongue weight by like half! Which is already only 150lbs. So now I found this message forum and was looking at just replacing the dark 1.25" hitch with something better. I tried looking at the Draw-Tite hitch but it says "except F Sport". Great. Anyone know of a hitch that will work with a 450h+ F Sport? I'm going a little crazy now trying to get something that will support a bike rack and two mountain bikes! TIA!!
I ordered and had the hitch installed at local UHaul store on my 450h+ FSport NX. Unlike RX Fsport, the cross dampers are untouched.
The kick sensor is not working properly. Some times it detects a kick but never opens the hatch thinking that my leg is still underneath the bumper.

The following 3 users liked this post by l3ruce:
Dunerking (01-17-23), gb350h (08-16-22), SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 08-21-22, 11:31 AM
SonGoKhoo
7th Gear

So I broke down and followed Gadgetguy3's recommendation and I drove out to LA Reseda to Eckharts Trailer and Hitch and had a custom hitch made. They charged me around $425 for the custom build and installation, but tacked on a $100 to remove the factory installed 1.25" hitch. Yeah, apparently I have money to burn (according to my wife sarcastically). They did a fantastic job in 2 hours (got there at 9am and left at 11am) on a Saturday. Really nice guys and it was fun to watch all the welding and sparks flying. I'm not planning on towing anything, so they made me a 2" hitch that could hopefully carry about 300lbs of bikes. Unlike Gadgetguy3, I had them weld the thing on. Rear kick sensor on the 450h+ F Sport still works nicely, so I'm lucky. They did tell me that all the hitches they have made for the 2022 NX have all allowed the foot kick sensor to work.

Side note: I have the original 1.25" hitch with all the attachment plates and bolts. If anyone is in the Orange County, CA area and wants to buy if from me, send me a message with an offer.

Old 08-21-22, 02:12 PM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Regarding the kick sensor not working after hitch installation, has anyone been able ot move that sensor out of the way so it functions correctly again? My dealership orientation person told me it could be adjusted slightly in either direction to work with hitches. But she's since been shown to have been wrong on several other things so who knows.
The following users liked this post:
2GR (08-22-22)
Old 08-25-22, 09:05 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Anyone know the difference between the Curt & the Draw Tite Hitches?
SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 08-29-22, 07:43 PM
maktub
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking for hitch for a NX 350 non-hybrid

Originally Posted by newguytoda
Also, the 76201 hitch does not fit the 350 model (non hybrid) without some modifications. It bolts to the frame fine, but the left and right exhaust hangar mounts interfere with the hitch and require fabrication of new brackets.
How did you end up solving the exhaust hanger issue? The OEM brackets protrude out beyond the frame and then back in (like a "C"). Can one be made to not protrude and still use the OEM 3 hole bushing, or is a new bracket/bushing combo the only option? Would getting OEM parts off the hybrid model work?
Old 08-29-22, 08:04 PM
maktub
10th Gear

Can confirm as newguytoda said, the Draw-Tite 76201 cannot mount to an NX 350 non-hybrid (and non F-Sport) without the exhaust hangers getting in the way. I made an appointment with my local Uhaul to get the 76201 (only "fitting" class 3 hitch available on their site). I told their hitch guy that I have concerns about the hangers being in the way. He came out and looked under the car and said he can find a hitch that can work. Fast forward to today. I show up for my appointment. He has a 76201 and is cursing his parts people for sending that hitch as opposed to the one he supposedly substituted in the order. We put the hitch under the car, and saw that a side mount hitch will not work with protruding hangers. He promptly called corporate to report the mismatch. The hitch he wanted to order, he said he could not, but offered to install any other hitch I can bring in. Well, there are none. I plan to ask him for the make and model of his solution (I forgot to). A waste of time, but at least Uhaul knows about the problem.

Last edited by maktub; 08-29-22 at 08:08 PM.
lsy (02-28-24)
Old 08-29-22, 09:20 PM
maktub
10th Gear

Originally Posted by maktub
How did you end up solving the exhaust hanger issue? The OEM brackets protrude out beyond the frame and then back in (like a "C"). Can one be made to not protrude and still use the OEM 3 hole bushing, or is a new bracket/bushing combo the only option? Would getting OEM parts off the hybrid model work?

Got this image from www.trailerjacks.com
SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 09-08-22, 05:12 AM
newguytoda
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The hybrid hanger/bushing would work.

PS: they're the same as the rav4
maktub (08-07-23)
Old 09-08-22, 05:17 AM
newguytoda
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes the hybrid hanger/bushing would work. But be aware that the hybrid bushing has only 2 holes vs 3 on the non-hybrid. I think the exhaust muffler may be heavier on the non-hybrid hence the different design.

Part numbers below that I ordered from lexus. It's also available in ebay.
PS: they're the same as the rav4

Last edited by newguytoda; 09-08-22 at 05:26 AM.
maktub (08-07-23)
Old 09-11-22, 12:16 AM
rejus
2nd gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gb350h
Update: Draw-Tite technical support got back to me confirmed that the hitch receiver model#76201 will fit the following vehicle make and models. and it's a no drill application. it is compatible with both Rav4 and the NX series vehicle as it is the same frame.

I also called a local hitch store and confirmed that no drill required for 2022 Lexus NX 350h. I'm gonna looking around for a store letting me try the hitch just to make sure no drilling or cutting whatsoever.
ote:
Year Make/Model/Style
2021 - 2022 Lexus, NX250, All Styles
2021 - 2022 Lexus, NX350, Except F Sport
2021 - 2022 Lexus, NX350h, All Styles
2021 - 2022 Lexus, NX450h+, Except F Sport
2019 - 2022 Toyota, RAV4, All Styles
Just installed myself Draw-Tite the hitch receiver model#76201 on 2022 nx450h+ F Sport. Easy to mount and fits very well. Returned Lexus original activity mount. It was a joke 150 lbs max. I need to figure out wiring now.

Last edited by rejus; 09-11-22 at 12:23 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by rejus:
cmsnow3 (09-11-22), Dunerking (01-17-23), gb350h (09-11-22), SgtLip (06-25-23)
Old 09-11-22, 07:54 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Lightbulb just curious what do you plan to haul ? Lexus NX fairly low tow limits

So I broke down and followed Gadgetguy3's recommendation and I drove out to LA Reseda to Eckharts Trailer and Hitch and had a custom hitch made. They charged me around $425 for the custom build and installation

but tacked on a $100 to remove the factory installed 1.25" hitch. Yeah, apparently I have money to burn (according to my wife sarcastically). They did a fantastic job in 2 hours (got there at 9am and left at 11am) on a Saturday. Really nice guys and it was fun to watch all the welding and sparks flying. I'm not planning on towing anything, so they made me a 2" hitch that could hopefully carry about 300lbs of bikes. Unlike Gadgetguy3, I had them weld the thing on. Rear kick sensor on the 450h+ F Sport still works nicely, so I'm lucky. They did tell me that all the hitches they have made for the 2022 NX have all allowed the foot kick sensor to work.

Side note: I have the original 1.25" hitch with all the attachment plates and bolts. If anyone is in the Orange County, CA area and wants to buy if from me, send me a message with an offer.

Out of curiosity what do you plan to haul? The reason I ask is a 1.25" to 2,00 " adapter would accommodate most haul requirements albeit you would have another connection point. However, I found that even with the 1.25" I had to put an extension on for a bike rack because the bike rack was too close to the car.

I also wonder if you did any moment arm calculations as to the actual loads that fit within the recommend 150 tongue weight spec Lexus throws out with its accessory port. It is pretty easy to calculate starting with their diagram. see below:

So the recommended tongue weight is 9% ( 180 Lbs) to 11% (220 lbs) of the recommended towing weight limit ( 2,000 lbs), If you extend the towing moment arm this reduces the effective tongue weight.

Some examples: of moment arm calculation."
Assuming 0 inches ball is maximum = 220 lbs ( not Lexus'a conservative 150 lbs also shown below in examples)
If you add a hitch that extends 6 inches =43/(43+6) * 220 = 193 lbs ( Lexus 131,6)
if you add a hitch that extends 12 inches ( typical bike rack to not hit var or 1.25" to 2,o " adapter) = 43/(43+12) *220 = 172 (Lexus 117)
if you add a hitch that extends 18 inches =43/(43+18) *220 = 155 ( Lexus =105)

The bottom line is the 2022 Lexus NX is not a big tower. So again I ask what gain does the 2 '' hitch buy you ?

YMMV,
Midvpw3
Old 09-11-22, 08:44 AM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Any word on if/when the Activity Mount will be available again? I actually really want one because we'll only be carrying bikes... Last I heard in early summer it had been discontinued or something due to manufacturing problems/defects? Anyone know where to get one at this point? They seem to be out of stock everywhere...

Quick Reply: Hitch Integration