NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

eMileage NX450h+

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-22 | 11:27 PM
Eng11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Facs
I see. Thanks,

I wonder if 18" wheels would get you more range. Anyone know?
Drag coefficient .35 with 18” and .37 with 20”.

This is almost 6%.

compared to RAV4 Prime the Lexus is 4% heavier in addition.

total about 10% so that could explain going from 42 to 38 EV miles.

Old 08-17-22 | 03:01 AM
darkloki
Driver

Originally Posted by lsft
I've got 75km in the guess-o-meter which is 46 miles and with AC it's 72km which is 44 miles. The best I have driven is 84.1 km which is 52 miles. I think the 37 miles averages out in the winter months where the number will be lower than 37. Will know more when it starts to get cold.

75km EV range = 46.6 miles 72km EV range with AC = 44.7 miles
Okay so after ownership of about 3 weeks I'm calling BS here, reason why? because after a charge I too will get 41 or 42. Drive off like 100 yards and watch that number drop back down to 38. I have yet to have the number hit 41 or 42 and then slowly at a normal rate get back down to 37. We're talking from my house here I know exactly what a few miles from my home is. I bet this photo was taken right after a charge, thing is drive it for like 100 yards and watch the number drop massively by two or 3 miles...
Old 08-17-22 | 08:53 AM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by darkloki
Okay so after ownership of about 3 weeks I'm calling BS here, reason why? because after a charge I too will get 41 or 42. Drive off like 100 yards and watch that number drop back down to 38. I have yet to have the number hit 41 or 42 and then slowly at a normal rate get back down to 37. We're talking from my house here I know exactly what a few miles from my home is. I bet this photo was taken right after a charge, thing is drive it for like 100 yards and watch the number drop massively by two or 3 miles...
What lsft gets and what you get will vary depending on roads, traffic, speed, weather, and your right foot. If you really want to maximize your mileage you can look up hypermiling, but you could also just drive and enjoy your car. Basically, YMMV.

My wife just did a usual 12 mile drive this morning, used 6 miles of effective range, went from 95% to 88%, 40 miles to 34 miles EV range. That's been consistent since we got the car in Feb, and she does this trip several times a week. We gain about 1-2 miles of range in the first 2 miles as we're driving downhill and the rest of the trip is level and the speed limit starts at 25 and then hits 50mph and generally flat. Our car's max range at 100% these days is usually 44 miles, but I short charged today. Recently we've been seeing 3.3-3.5m/kwh.

Just after starting, charge ended at 95%..didn't record mileage on the car.

Mileage after about 2 miles, bottom of our hill, 10 miles to go.

Charge after that initial 2 miles, bottom of our hill, gained a mile in range:

Destination mileage (need to add 2 for total trip as I didn't think to capture mileage at start):

At destination, 12 miles driven total, 6 miles net drop in range

Last edited by ct6978; 08-17-22 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
javahigh (08-29-22)
Old 08-20-22 | 07:37 AM
chiguy
Driver School Candidate

So I'm 24 miles to work and I can charge my 450h+ for free there. I don't go into the office often, but did this week for the first time since I got the car, and had to go two days in a row. I charged it to 100% while there and drove it home, then I drove it back the next day, expecting it use gas for the last half of the trip. It kicked in the gas engine for the last half mile. That's close to 48 miles it went on a full charge, and this was with air conditioning on even. I'm amazed... but don't ask me how I did that. All I can say is that it's a bit hilly around here and it must have charged enough on the hills to keep going on EV mode only...
Old 08-24-22 | 12:41 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but don't want to make a new one based off related findings.

I just picked up our NX450h+ last night and fully charged it. Full disclosure, I have owned many many EV's in the past and know that driving behavior influences displayed range.

Currently it shows 3mi. range remaining but battery is at 43%!! Anyone know why this might be? For the record I drove about 35 miles to work on full EV so I did in fact get the correct range but am just surprised the battery still displays 43% remaining.
Old 08-24-22 | 12:55 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IS_NIICE
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but don't want to make a new one based off related findings.

I just picked up our NX450h+ last night and fully charged it. Full disclosure, I have owned many many EV's in the past and know that driving behavior influences displayed range.

Currently it shows 3mi. range remaining but battery is at 43%!! Anyone know why this might be? For the record I drove about 35 miles to work on full EV so I did in fact get the correct range but am just surprised the battery still displays 43% remaining.
Toyota limits the discharge. You effectively have a max use of about 14kWh use of the 18 in the battery pack. I don't know if they limit the max charge % on the top end, but it shows 100% when full. I'm getting about 3.2 miles/kWh these days, so a full charge is theoretically about 45 miles.

Their math doesn't quite work, I would have expected somewhere near 25% when 'empty', but its usually in the 30 percent range for me. Perhaps the pack is more than the advertised 18kWh but hidden.

On the older Prius models they really limited the charge and discharge resulting a pretty long lasting battery.

Last edited by ct6978; 08-24-22 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-02-22 | 12:16 PM
cabm0122
4th Gear

Just add my 2 cents. I got my base model on August 30, did a full charge, then driving full EV for 69 kilometers and the Lexus App reads I still have 48% battery life left. I think the percentage is not accurate, but I do believe I can drive 90+ kilometers before recharge. I use AC and I drive in normal mode (not ECO). The weather is perfect for EV right now. I think my soft driving style contributes to the long range.

Last edited by cabm0122; 09-02-22 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-10-22 | 12:45 PM
itsadavy
Driver

Default 84km(52.2miles)+ of eMileage

Hi folks,

Just wanted to provide some more input on this thread. 90km+ of eMileage is definitely possible I think, my current kwh/100km avg is 16.2, and Im getting about 84km of eMileage. I would say the eMileage reading is becoming more accurate. As you can see in the pictures below, I drove 6.0km and only used 5.3kms of eMileage. Granted I’m driving in eco mode, no AC, and driving right on speed limit and maximizing coasting. Driving hybrid really made me have a feather foot haha. Believe it or not, I love slamming on the gas in the past😆

YMMV

Last edited by itsadavy; 09-10-22 at 12:55 PM.
CdO (09-10-22)
Old 09-11-22 | 07:04 AM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by darkloki
I totally missed this response... since this chat has come back up.. It really depends how to drive, weather, temperature and speed. This morning I woke up with a full charge of 81km on the guess-o-meter. Why I call it a guess-o-meter is because the car is just providing you a guidance of how far you potentially can go based on your driving habits and current situation. There are times where I drive on local roads at speed limit and the car originally says it has 76km of range and after driving 5km, I have 75km of range left. That is totally possible. But in reverse, I have experience where I start the trip with 43km remaining and my drive is about 40km (logically you think you will have 3km left). Unfortunately, it's a guess-o-meter. At the end, I had to use 3km of gas to arrive at my destination. But still the guess-o-meter said I had 80km range after a full charge and I got 76km in real life driving. If your drive has lots of downhill driving and driving at city speeds you most likely can make it with EV range left. This number is similar to your distance to empty... it's an estimate based on your driving conditions and temperature and how much of the heat pump/AC you use. open up all the windows, and sunroof and turn off the AC and then drive as efficient as possible, you most likely will beat the guess-o-meter, but come on - drive the car so that you can enjoy it.

Another thing everybody needs to understand is the battery percentage when there is no more EV range. I have heard from others they get about 25% left of battery to 35%. Mine typically stops around 30%. The 30% is left for HV driving. Keep in mind the NX350H has a 1.7kWh battery for HV driving and this is the same for our NX450h+. The number maybe a bit higher, but we don't know how much battery is used to preserve the battery life and how much is actually useable. In reality, you will never drain the battery to 0.
Old 09-11-22 | 08:00 AM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb Get rid of run flat and use higher tire pressure; hyper drive

User time-tested hype mileing tricks:

1. low resistance tires + get rid of run flats and use lower resistance lower weight regular tires.
2. run at higher than recommended air pressure.
3. acc and glide.don't use cruise. Down hills accelerate uphills hold as much as possible without going into power range
4. anticipate traffic: drive slower, brake less, accelerate slower.

Peace and Good Will

YMMV,
MidCow3

Old 09-11-22 | 01:41 PM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Turn off AC. Keeping the cabin cool on a nice day drags the miles down. When reasonable I open the sunroof and windows instead and keep the climate system off, I am getting 43-46 miles actual per day. How you drive as others have said is also critical to milage.

while I love my head hitting the back of the seat when I am in sports + mode with gas and batteries on in my f sport I am wasting a lot of energy, but boy it’s a lot of fun.
lsft (09-11-22)
Old 09-19-22 | 12:07 PM
stopdiabet
1st Gear

Default Battery gauge

Originally Posted by lsft
I totally missed this response... since this chat has come back up.. It really depends how to drive, weather, temperature and speed. This morning I woke up with a full charge of 81km on the guess-o-meter. Why I call it a guess-o-meter is because the car is just providing you a guidance of how far you potentially can go based on your driving habits and current situation. There are times where I drive on local roads at speed limit and the car originally says it has 76km of range and after driving 5km, I have 75km of range left. That is totally possible. But in reverse, I have experience where I start the trip with 43km remaining and my drive is about 40km (logically you think you will have 3km left). Unfortunately, it's a guess-o-meter. At the end, I had to use 3km of gas to arrive at my destination. But still the guess-o-meter said I had 80km range after a full charge and I got 76km in real life driving. If your drive has lots of downhill driving and driving at city speeds you most likely can make it with EV range left. This number is similar to your distance to empty... it's an estimate based on your driving conditions and temperature and how much of the heat pump/AC you use. open up all the windows, and sunroof and turn off the AC and then drive as efficient as possible, you most likely will beat the guess-o-meter, but come on - drive the car so that you can enjoy it.

Another thing everybody needs to understand is the battery percentage when there is no more EV range. I have heard from others they get about 25% left of battery to 35%. Mine typically stops around 30%. The 30% is left for HV driving. Keep in mind the NX350H has a 1.7kWh battery for HV driving and this is the same for our NX450h+. The number maybe a bit higher, but we don't know how much battery is used to preserve the battery life and how much is actually useable. In reality, you will never drain the battery to 0.
So the battery percentage is NOT usable percentage? Mustang Mach E and Chevy Bolt both show usable battery, not design capacity.
Old 09-19-22 | 12:16 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stopdiabet
So the battery percentage is NOT usable percentage? Mustang Mach E and Chevy Bolt both show usable battery, not design capacity.
Nope, total,

I just hit '--' EV range a few days ago and the car was at 30% battery percentage. The little battery icon even turned from blue to red in the app. My understanding is that car will dip into that for hybrid mode, you just can't use it for pure EV driving.

I fully charged it from that point and sent it 15.16kWh per my charger. Figure roughly 15% loss during charging and that is about 12.9kWh or about 71% of the 18.1 total capacity, so the % seems about right. New NX, first time charging to 100%.