NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

How well does the “lane keep assist” feature work

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-22, 11:56 AM
NX450h
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterun
Hi NX450h. Glad you’re making progress in your quest to normalize your NX. Wish I could say the same for my NX450h. Lexus corporate has made arrangements for my vehicle to be dropped off at the local dealership for an unspecified time frame. Getting things to work has been a new career position for me. Frankly, I need the relief. Going from one screen to another is often times a 10 minute process. I’ve discarded my profile and solely use the guest mode thru the wired USB connection. Sometimes works. I feel like celebrating when my iPhone 13 Pro phone actually integrates.

About my NX…..rock solid, almighty on the road. Not a single rattle, vibration, odd sound. Drives wonderfully….and it’s power is strong and seamless and linear. The seating position (and seat comfort) is perfect for me. Not a fan of the run flats…and I’m thinking the ride on freeways could be a little less choppy. My NX450h is NOT the F-Sport version.

That’s my update. Hoping the dash does not have to be dismantled today…and that this is strictly a software issue.
one thing we might want to do is check the software versions we all have. It’s possible there are different versions installed in different cars and so we are all experiencing slightly different bugs. The versions are each package is listed in the settings page.
Old 06-04-24, 12:05 PM
Opie123
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you explain how to turn on cruise control without setting a speed? I’m trying to do exactly what you describe on my new NX.

Originally Posted by mcomer
adb04 added a point that deserves a highlight. The Adaptive Speed Control and the Lane Trace work
together and and work better together than individually. The LTA can be left on but if you get into a habit
of turning on the Cruise Control even if you do not actually set a speed it will improve the LTA performance.
Old 06-18-24, 11:45 AM
P5mmx10g
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Opie123
Can you explain how to turn on cruise control without setting a speed? I’m trying to do exactly what you describe on my new NX.
you press the cruise control button to turn it on, if you don't set the speed, you will just drive normally with the system on.
Old 06-20-24, 06:22 PM
spike20586
8th Gear

Strange, in my 2024 350h when I press the steering wheel button to turn on the cruise, it automatically sets the speed to my current speed. I haven't been able to find a way to enable it without it setting the speed.
Old 06-21-24, 06:02 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by spike20586
Strange, in my 2024 350h when I press the steering wheel button to turn on the cruise, it automatically sets the speed to my current speed. I haven't been able to find a way to enable it without it setting the speed.
Yea, I've found the recent comments within here curiouser and curiouser. I'm not sure if the cruise somehow works differently on some models, but I really have no way to turn the cruise on without actually setting a speed. When I start my car, I will have up to 3 icons appear immediately on the dash depending on cruise settings from previous drive. One of the cruise mode icons will light up (either adaptive or standard), the adaptive distance setting icon will appear, and the LTA status icon will appear (if LTA was on from previous drive). If I hit the cruise mode button, it simply toggles between adaptive or standard, its not turning the cruise on or off, simply changing the mode. If I hit the adaptive distance button, it simply changes the current distance setting regardless of if cruise is enabled or not. If I hit the LTA button, it simply toggles the LTA mode regardless of if cruise is enabled or not. If I hit the resume button without a set speed, it simply tells me to "RTFM". If I hit the actual cruise enable button, it will engage the cruise at my current speed. If I hit the cruise enable button while stopped and no speed previously set, it enables the cruise at a pre-determined set speed (always 30kph in my case). As far as I can tell, enabling cruise always sets a speed and there really is no way to "turn off" cruise control, its either in standby or its enabled.

Any I've even more confused about the comment that messing with this stuff somehow changes how well LTA works. LTA is a sub-function of the adaptive cruise, its either on or off when cruise is enabled and works pretty consistently when on (consistently in that it does some things well, other things ok, and some things not so ok consistently according to the conditions. Anyone that has used LTA a lot quickly gets used to conditions that LTA doesn't handle gracefully).
Old 06-21-24, 06:16 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I tried mine once, happened to be at night. It bounced side line to side line twice, gave an error message, and kicked off. Tried again, same thing, never used it again. Useless advertising gimmick on mine.
Old 06-21-24, 06:05 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 578 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by bt10
I tried mine once, happened to be at night. It bounced side line to side line twice, gave an error message, and kicked off. Tried again, same thing, never used it again. Useless advertising gimmick on mine.
That's interesting. Mine does very well and stays in the middle. Never bounces around like the previous gen NX.
Old 06-21-24, 06:07 PM
spike20586
8th Gear

My experience is the exact opposite... I was actually very pleasantly surprised just how well it works. I use it all the time.
Old 06-21-24, 11:36 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
That's interesting. Mine does very well and stays in the middle. Never bounces around like the previous gen NX.
Originally Posted by spike20586
My experience is the exact opposite... I was actually very pleasantly surprised just how well it works. I use it all the time.
When I engaged the LKA in my 2022 RX 350 F-Sport I had to hope law enforcement was not behind me or I'd get pulled over for impaired driving while the car bounced from line to line, but I agree with lsft and spike, the 2024 NX 350h has been rock solid and I engage it on my drives every day.
The following users liked this post:
lsft (06-22-24)
Old 06-22-24, 12:47 PM
TheCDN
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Let's establish some framework here on how lane trace assist works.

The car uses cameras to find / locate lane markings and in optimum conditions of lighting it will actually see the edge of the asphalt even if a side line doesn't exist. As any seasoned driver will admit, painted lines on roadways of all kinds, side roads located in the countryside - single lane either way, multilane highways etc all have various conditions of their painted markings. The car tries to 'see' either a line and or the edge of the road. Any variance from said 'solid or dotted' line creates a either minor or major reaction with the steering. The car is always attempting to 'centre' your car in your lane. When the painted line disappears it needs to figure out if your lane's width has grown larger, you may be at an exit or on-ramp of highway where lines stop, you may have wandered over the line and it's now under the car etc. There's a tremendous amount of analysis going on, and to accept that it will always understand where your car is situated on the roadway should be taken with caution. Add into the mix pylons dotting along the roadway to 'move' you off the designated lane due to construction is another concern too.

On the NX you can adjust settings on how it alerts you either with steering vibrating, or steer correction and an audible alert.

I'm in Ontario Canada and we have some terrible roadways, our lines are repainted annually as they disappear with all the salt and sand we use in the winter. I find my NX350h does an exceptional job with LTA as long as it has something it can see to keep me in my lane. The only other condititon that it doesn't like is strong side winds where the car struggles to keep it's lane, the system will eventually shut off if the winds persist.

Always assume some caution when LTA is enabled and be prepared to correct manually if needed.

Both smart and manual (dumb) cruise control exist on the NX. When you switch to manual it's just an old fashioned cruise, you set speed and it doesn't look for anyone in front of you, it will go constant speed no matter what, until an impending crash is detected then it will alert you and hammer on the brakes.

I encourage you to read your manual starting on pg 484 section 6-2. Using the safe driving support functions . dynamic radar cruise control . to understand all of the various details on how to control and set it up safely. It is primarily a radar based cruise control system and no Lexus doesn't have anything in place like a de-icing heating element on the 'L' emblem on the front grill where the radar sensor is located. So, if snow or dirt or a tremendous amount of road grime or bug guts are covering this location it doesn't work. It also uses those little round sensors outlined in several locations on your front bumper and on bottom of your side mirrors. If they get covered in something the system won't work until it's cleaned. Very heavy rainfall and snow will usually lead to the system not working and shutting down.

When weather conditions are ideal it works great! I use it regularly especially in highway traffic scenarios. Set your speed activate lane keep assist as well, just keep an eye on the road and hands on the wheel and it works well. Take your hands off the wheel for more than 15 seconds or so and it will begin to warn you, don't put a hand back on the wheel and it will begin to slow down the car. If traffic in front of you slows it keeps it's distance with the car in front, which you can adjust this distance (read manual how to do it). Come to a stop for more than 5 seconds i beleive and you just need to tap the gas pedal to have car start back up and follow car in front. Car in front brakes - your car brakes - speeds up - yours speeds up. Very abrupt stop - your car hammers on brakes too. I've tried this out enough times and so far, with my foot hovering over the brake pedal, it manages to stop before a collision.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheCDN:
lsft (06-23-24), weaver483 (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 05:07 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Well with everybody loving it, I went out and tried it again yesterday, and got it to work decent. I don't understand "impending lane assist end, prepare to take over" message, then it clears and continues on. Our lines are decent, but the only thing I could see wrong is rolling hills in a rural setting. We do have an s curve at a township line that did present a stiff, fighting wheel, because I know how to go thru it and the camera couldn't see over the hill. I would want to be more rightish, but on a 3 lane divided xway, I can see centered. It works fine in good situations. Might be interesting to see if overcorrection happens fighting the wheel on evasive maneuvers on the xway tho. Certainly doesn't bounce side to side as new, maybe the camera/computer has to learn the car some?
Old 06-24-24, 09:11 AM
Droid13
Racer

Well with everybody loving it, I went out and tried it again yesterday, and got it to work decent. I don't understand "impending lane assist end, prepare to take over" message, then it clears and continues on. Our lines are decent, but the only thing I could see wrong is rolling hills in a rural setting. We do have an s curve at a township line that did present a stiff, fighting wheel, because I know how to go thru it and the camera couldn't see over the hill. I would want to be more rightish, but on a 3 lane divided xway, I can see centered. It works fine in good situations. Might be interesting to see if overcorrection happens fighting the wheel on evasive maneuvers on the xway tho. Certainly doesn't bounce side to side as new, maybe the camera/computer has to learn the car some?
Only time I've seen that message is if I wasn't holding onto the steering wheel (well enough). You only have to be touching the steering wheel to keep the system active, but I've found there are a few places that the touch sensor doesn't register. Also, not sure how the steering wheel senses being touched but I suspect its some kind of capacitive system that relies on a bit of conductivity with your hand. Some people have trouble with these due to some types of medical conditions. I thought it might be some kind of resistance to motion but I've tried extremely lightly applying a couple fingers and it was still more than happy to continue with that.

The resistance in the steering wheel when its doing something you don't want can always be overpowered. This does tend to be more noticeable on curves. Some people might be a bit afraid to fight it, but you can and its designed to allow it. The driver is still boss, show it!

And yea, its certainly not the best for twisty country roads. Best used on highways or mellow country roads, although it typically does well with most very well marked roads. Anytime the road markings are lacking, or complex intersections, or just messed up (like in construction zones), it can get confused and wander. The system is supposed to be able to deal with lack of lane markings in some situations (like if there is a car in front of you, it may attempt to follow that car - potentially right into the ditch if they do). Rainy roads can sometimes add challenge because tires marks on wet roads can sometimes fool the system into thinking they are lane markings instead of simple tire markings. I had a Subaru with EyeSight that tried to jerk me out of the lane one time on a wet highway for that reason, my NX did that to me once as well, it wasn't as bad, more like an unwelcome wandering out of the lane. Its these rare missteps that are probably the worst because you might get lulled into a false sense of calm and then out of the blue...

The best way to use such a system is to fully understand it and practice (but never completely trusting).
Old 06-24-24, 09:52 AM
TheCDN
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

For all recent - new NX owners, here's a great couple of youtube videos to watch and learn all your features and how they work. This is extremely detailed and time stamped so you can go to the exact spot in videos to see how the various features work. It's from Northside Lexus in Houston Texas, the host is very detailed, she does a great job!

Deep Dive Part 1.

Deep Dive Part 2. At time stamp around 1:37:53 she talks about LTA.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheCDN:
lsft (06-24-24), romer (06-24-24)
Old 06-26-24, 06:15 AM
P5mmx10g
Rookie

I think people are getting Confused with 2 Lane Keep/Trace Assists
1 don't require cruise control and if you switch lane intentionally or unintentionally without signal, it pulls you back in and you can feel the force from the steering wheel.
2 on with cruise control and will make gentle micro adjustments based on the lane.
Old 06-29-24, 02:57 PM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by P5mmx10g
I think people are getting Confused with 2 Lane Keep/Trace Assists
1 don't require cruise control and if you switch lane intentionally or unintentionally without signal, it pulls you back in and you can feel the force from the steering wheel.
2 on with cruise control and will make gentle micro adjustments based on the lane.
I suppose it would have helped if the title of this thread was properly named, as there actually is no "lane keep assist". The OP actually mentioned he wasn't sure he was using the correct term, and in fact wasn't. Point #1 is called "Lane Departure Alert" and as pointed out is independent of cruise. The other two similar functions, Lane Trace Assist is dependent on cruise and Lane Change Assist is dependent on both LTA and Cruise. I guess the first one is called an alert because you only experience it when you've been naughty, whereas LTA and LCA are both assist features that would be used in seemingly ordinary situations.

Quick Reply: How well does the “lane keep assist” feature work