NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Family Car Capable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 09:12 PM
blksolara
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Family Car Capable?

Any new owners purchasing for growing family? I have 2 toddlers, 2 and 4 months old. Need a car big enough to store dual strollers and fit car seats with a 6 foot tall driver. I heard this car is much bigger than Gen 1 which I found too small. Anyone have any experience or recommendations? Thanks,
Old 01-30-22, 09:23 PM
chumpchang
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by blksolara
Any new owners purchasing for growing family? I have 2 toddlers, 2 and 4 months old. Need a car big enough to store dual strollers and fit car seats with a 6 foot tall driver. I heard this car is much bigger than Gen 1 which I found too small. Anyone have any experience or recommendations? Thanks,
I heard the LFA is perfect for starting a family with. Otherwise, the NX should be more than capable of fitting you. I’m 5’11. I’ve had full grown adults fit behind me. It’s not much bigger than the old one. It’s just better designed.
Old 01-31-22, 03:08 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 565 Likes on 374 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by chumpchang
I heard the LFA is perfect for starting a family with. Otherwise, the NX should be more than capable of fitting you. I’m 5’11. I’ve had full grown adults fit behind me. It’s not much bigger than the old one. It’s just better designed.
TThe new NX has better rear-seat room and according to the owner's manual, it looks like it can accommodate 2 rear child car seats and satisfy OP requirements.

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - If OP can afford a LFA;; more power too him great second "sports" car, but not primary for family, but I understand you were being sarcastic

Last edited by midcow3; 01-31-22 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 02-01-22, 04:44 AM
catchtanya
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly I think it would be too small imo. I have a forward facing high back booster and my 5’9” tall husband when sitting in passenger seat is a little cramped. Rear facing seats just take up more room. I do think depending on the size I’d the strollers you could get those in trunk area. I’m not being sarcastic here but perhaps check out the sienna? Until the kids are out of seats. So much easier for families.
Old 02-01-22, 07:54 PM
NXBob
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

We have one in a rear facing seat in our 350H. I'm about 5' 10" and am able to drive comfortably with the rear seat behind me. However, I can't set the vehicle exit settings to push the seat all the way back because it hits the car seat. I am able to set it to a "partial" push back, so there's a bit of room left.

I think you could likely fit the two seats plus stroller in the cargo area, but you won't have a lot of room left for other luggage I would guess. We can fit our City Select (single seat) in there, but it takes up most of the cargo space.

All in all, I would say doable and we are using it as a family car, but you won't have a ton of extra space.
Old 02-02-22, 05:26 AM
nycevan
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Nx450h, I am 6"2' it is def cramped a little for me, you can make due. This is going to be for the mrs. who is much shorter and smaller then me. I have the seat all the way back and the back seat is a bit cramped as well, for kids you will be fine. Wish lexus let the drivers seat go back even further , like if i want to have 0 room behind me so be it