NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX 450h+ vs. Rav4 Prime

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-22 | 10:18 AM
HeavenSold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Not to dismiss his experience but it’s worth noting that while the infotainment has room to improve, many including myself haven’t experienced problems to that degree. Buying a new car in 2022, I much prefer having latest tech than the last generation stuff found in the RAV4.
I recommend joining the Facebook group, " Lexus NX Enthusiasts," and "LEXUS NX GROUP (USA)." No one in those groups are mentioning the noted problems as well.
Old 02-21-22 | 10:50 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Chaos for a price!

The following 2 users liked this post by Peterun:
HeavenSold (02-21-22), Lyniguez (02-23-22)
Old 02-23-22 | 06:52 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HeavenSold
I recommend joining the Facebook group, " Lexus NX Enthusiasts," and "LEXUS NX GROUP (USA)." No one in those groups are mentioning the noted problems as well.
that’s somewhat reassuring. Peteruns experience leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 02-23-22 | 07:01 PM
myLexus007
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Peterun
Chaos for a price!

My dream garage!! Recently bought a Silver Sky Metallic XSE Prime, but first choice was Pearl White. We don't even have NX450h+ yet in Texas. Where are you? Do you mind share the pros and cons of each vehicle and which one you like more?
The following users liked this post:
HeavenSold (02-24-22)
Old 02-23-22 | 07:24 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Mylexus007…..the good news is that the Prime runs flawlessly…from day 1. It does everything exceptionally well. It’s a perk to be able to opt for the media pkg…which is the JBL sound. There’s no such option on the NX450h. The JBL is superior to the standard NX system. And then, there’s the subject of the dreaded run flat tires on the NX. They’re clumsy, heavy feeling, noisy…and they drag down the mpg. Lastly, the EV range is a bit higher on the Prime. Actually, in real time, we are always at 48 miles on the Prime..and 38 on the Lexus. Another perk is full maintenance for 25,000 miles on the Prime…included. 10,000 on the NX. Of course…the savings of approximately $15,000 when going for the Prime is a nice thing.

Owning the NX450h has been incredibly disappointing to me….if not under the umbrella of punishing. My NX has been “lemonized” by Lexus…and I’ve opted for a full cash refund, rather than moving forward with the replacement vehicle scheduled for the end of March. I will move shortly on a GLE350 or an X5, both of which are in the same price range as the NX450h. They are both larger. They are both proven at this point. I wish they were a bit more efficient….but all else falls in place.

The prime is not a “luxury” vehicle, That said, it’s rugged, smooth running…and ergonomically more intuitive than the NX. But make no mistake, the NX is loaded up with quality….very heavy doors, thick windows…and really great seating. Someday it will be a great PHEV. Not now.

Last edited by Peterun; 02-23-22 at 07:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Peterun:
HeavenSold (02-24-22), Lyniguez (02-23-22)
Old 02-23-22 | 08:20 PM
myLexus007
Pit Crew

Peterun - thanks for the detailed reviews.

Personally, I like the RAV4P looks more, but NX interior is definitely better, but not $10K better. After your review, I don't think I'd go for NX.

We have 2020 X5, and it's years ahead of NX and RX in terms of build quality, handling and performance. It feels expensive inside. You should look at X5 Plug-In, not efficient as NX, but better than regular X5. I've never kept any car long enough to see problems, so far the X5 has been trouble-free. X5 3.0 Turbo is proven, it's just the German's electronics, but then you got an NX lemon lol ....
Old 02-23-22 | 09:19 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Mylexus…can’t decide between GLE350 and X5… they’re very different. Ride in the X5 is ok….handles well…but noisier and by far, not as silky as the GLE. The GLE has somehow avoided the run flats…and comes with a mini spare. Smooth operator, for sure. But…but….that 4 cylinder thing. It’s ample…but it’s not the in-line 6 which is standard in the X5. Not sure what to do….trying to avoid victimization again. MTW, my NX is not a rare bird. They’re swamped with complaints.
Old 02-24-22 | 04:13 AM
bbr00ks
Rookie

Mylexus…can’t decide between GLE350 and X5… they’re very different. Ride in the X5 is ok….handles well…but noisier and by far, not as silky as the GLE. The GLE has somehow avoided the run flats…and comes with a mini spare. Smooth operator, for sure. But…but….that 4 cylinder thing. It’s ample…but it’s not the in-line 6 which is standard in the X5. Not sure what to do….trying to avoid victimization again. MTW, my NX is not a rare bird. They’re swamped with complaints.
The turbo 6 in the X5 is one of the best engines on the market with the rare combination of both power and efficiency (although can only be so efficient with 5000 lbs to haul around).
Old 02-24-22 | 05:22 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

my NX is not a rare bird. They’re swamped with complaints.
I’ve been getting slightly paranoid with this. I already purchased my car, and Canada doesn’t have any anti-lemon laws. Is there another case you can point out? I just want to ask my dealer to see what’s up and show them some proof. The only major issues I seem to stumble upon are the seat memory settings, which are fixed my sliding the seats all the way forward and back.
I’ve also seen a few cases of profiles not auto loading, but loading upon request.

if this is indeed a widespread problem, why would Lexus not put out a TSB or a statement, or even have dealers inform affected clients of a problem?
Old 02-24-22 | 05:48 AM
rdgrimes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myLexus007
P. You should look at X5 Plug-In, not efficient as NX, but better than regular X5.
Just drove one of those. Severely crippled by the 3kw charger taking many hours to charge it. Hard to imagine what BMW is thinking there. Also BMW doesn't include any of the usual driver assistance or parking assistance features as standard, and many X5s don't have those features. No upgraded audio systems either.
Old 02-24-22 | 07:39 AM
KingKewl
Driver

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
I’ve been getting slightly paranoid with this. I already purchased my car, and Canada doesn’t have any anti-lemon laws. Is there another case you can point out? I just want to ask my dealer to see what’s up and show them some proof. The only major issues I seem to stumble upon are the seat memory settings, which are fixed my sliding the seats all the way forward and back.
I’ve also seen a few cases of profiles not auto loading, but loading upon request.

if this is indeed a widespread problem, why would Lexus not put out a TSB or a statement, or even have dealers inform affected clients of a problem?
While there’s issues with multiple fobs and profiles. I think Peterun has been the only one so vocal and extreme in issues for it to be a lemon.
The following 2 users liked this post by KingKewl:
dklanecky1 (02-24-22), HeavenSold (02-24-22)
Old 02-24-22 | 07:46 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KingKewl
While there’s issues with multiple fobs and profiles. I think Peterun has been the only one so vocal and extreme in issues for it to be a lemon.
its just so odd that Lexus would ship such a half-assed product. Doing so willingly would damage their reputation.

fun fact, Lexus dropped in the JD Power reliability score for 2022 to 6th place.

Old 02-24-22 | 11:33 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
its just so odd that Lexus would ship such a half-assed product. Doing so willingly would damage their reputation.

fun fact, Lexus dropped in the JD Power reliability score for 2022 to 6th place.
I have a hard time believing that any survey can have much credibility if shows Buick as being the second most dependable vehicle.
Old 02-24-22 | 02:06 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Research Most Dependable Cars
Dependability ratings are based on consumer insights after 3 years of ownership. The following 3-year old models rank the highest for reliability and represent the J.D. Power 2021 award winners for their particular segment.
2021 AWARD WINNERS

Compact SUV
2018 Buick Envision
See full results

Midsize Sporty Car
2018 Chevrolet Camaro
See full results

Large Heavy Duty Pickup
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
See full results

Large Car
2018 Toyota Avalon
See full results
Old 02-24-22 | 02:18 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lesz
I have a hard time believing that any survey can have much credibility if shows Buick as being the second most dependable vehicle.
after owning a Chevy Colorado and seeing JD Power rate it at the top, they lost all credibility with me. The Chevy Colorado convinced me to never buy an American made vehicle again.

Quick Reply: NX 450h+ vs. Rav4 Prime