NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Compact spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22 | 04:58 PM
rkbug
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Kusala
@lsft has a video where he took the trunk assembly apart.
Is there an reference of installing the spare after taking the boxes apart?
Old 09-20-22 | 06:59 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb No enough room for spare under floor. I have Modern Spare

Originally Posted by rkbug
Is there an reference of installing the spare after taking the boxes apart?
Yes, @lsft shows that there is not enough room to install a spare. Great video of under the floor of 450h+ though:
Thanks @lsft for your great videos

I bought the Modern Spare tire and jack in case. It is very good quality and the case is nice. I can put the jack and lug wrench under the floor. I will put the spare tire in the NX on long trips; it is pretty big, and it takes about 2/3 of the rear spare. But you could stack items on top of the case. The case is a padded material case with a nice handle. I am changing to non-run flats when my tires start to wear. I have 20 inch tires. I alos have AAA Premium road service

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following 2 users liked this post by midcow3:
Kusala (09-22-22), lsft (09-21-22)
Old 11-09-22 | 12:08 PM
hth
Rookie

Originally Posted by midcow3
Yes, @lsft shows that there is not enough room to install a spare. Great video of under the floor of 450h+ though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4MXIL27sk Thanks @lsft for your great videos

I bought the Modern Spare tire and jack in case. It is very good quality and the case is nice. I can put the jack and lug wrench under the floor. I will put the spare tire in the NX on long trips; it is pretty big, and it takes about 2/3 of the rear spare. But you could stack items on top of the case. The case is a padded material case with a nice handle. I am changing to non-run flats when my tires start to wear. I have 20 inch tires. I alos have AAA Premium road service

YMMV,
MidCow3
Hello MidCow3, have you tried to mount the spare to see if it fits? I ordered a full kit for my 2022 350H. They shipped a kit with a scratched wheel. I contacted and they replaced the scratched wheel with a new one. So I tried again (to fit test the wheel) but the jack was too low that it could not raise the wheel off the ground. They offered to send a higher scissor jack (that won't fit the foam case for the jack) or use a 2x4 wood block. I am waiting to fit test the spare wheel first (need to borrow a floor jack from my brother) before I decide what to do.

And the case I got is not padded, just a simple case.
Old 11-09-22 | 01:34 PM
midcow3
Racer

Originally Posted by hth
Hello MidCow3, have you tried to mount the spare to see if it fits? I ordered a full kit for my 2022 350H. They shipped a kit with a scratched wheel. I contacted and they replaced the scratched wheel with a new one. So I tried again (to fit test the wheel) but the jack was too low that it could not raise the wheel off the ground. They offered to send a higher scissor jack (that won't fit the foam case for the jack) or use a 2x4 wood block. I am waiting to fit test the spare wheel first (need to borrow a floor jack from my brother) before I decide what to do.

And the case I got is not padded, just a simple case.
I took the tire out of the case and it looked good. I did not try to mount it. I did go on a long raod trip with it and it takes up a lot of space but I still had enough room for suitcases and everything, but used one backseat. Three adults. If i need it mounted will use AAA,

MidCow3
The following users liked this post:
hth (11-09-22)
Old 11-09-22 | 02:07 PM
hth
Rookie

I took the tire out of the case and it looked good. I did not try to mount it. I did go on a long raod trip with it and it takes up a lot of space but I still had enough room for suitcases and everything, but used one backseat. Three adults. If i need it mounted will use AAA,

MidCow3
I have AAA plus with 160 mile tow trips but I need to practice first because I often hike in areas without phone signals. That is why I wanted to fit-test the spare wheel. Clearly the jack did not work for me as it was short too raise the wheel off the ground. This makes me eager to fit-test the wheel.
I placed the spare in the trunk; it takes quite a lot of space when I closed the rear lifted gate with the cargo cover installed.
Old 11-09-22 | 03:57 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Has anyone tried one of those flat tire repair kits with gel can and pump? I wonder if one of those would work with regular non run flat tires.
Old 11-09-22 | 05:08 PM
midcow3
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by hth
I have AAA plus with 160 mile tow trips but I need to practice first because I often hike in areas without phone signals. That is why I wanted to fit-test the spare wheel. Clearly the jack did not work for me as it was short too raise the wheel off the ground. This makes me eager to fit-test the wheel.
I placed the spare in the trunk; it takes quite a lot of space when I closed the rear lifted gate with the cargo cover installed.
Awesome hiking. In my younger days I backpacked the Weminuche Wilderness a lot and climbed a lot of non technical 14,000 mountains. Also took Boy Scouts on 2 Philmont Treks. Today, I hike in the Sam Houston National Forest which directly abuts to my second house.

YMMV,
MidCow3
hth (11-09-22)
Old 11-09-22 | 05:58 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Get AAA. Tires rarely have blowouts and flats; when was the last time you actually used your spare tire? Get AAA and get towed on those rare occasions. There is no room for a spare tire. No need for a jack or a pump with RFTs. However, when my sort lived RFTs wear out I will replace them with other, better riding, lighter weight ( i.e. better mpg) tires and use AAA if I have a flat or blowout

YMMV,
MidCow3
What tires are you considering? I’ve been looking at Michelin CrossTrek 2. Definitely want a tire to take advantage of the hybrid gas mileage.
Old 11-09-22 | 09:53 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb tires 20

Originally Posted by Doug007
What tires are you considering? I’ve been looking at Michelin CrossTrek 2. Definitely want a tire to take advantage of the hybrid gas mileage.
Right now there aren't many 235/50 R20 tires. and if I made the choice today it would be the Michelin CrossClimate 2. However another tire I am going to look at is the Scorpion Zero All Season (( on Jaguar and Land Rover) because it has noise reduction technology.

I will probably change around 20K and I only have 2,500 miles now. Only one good rood trip and I don't drive that much.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Doug007 (11-10-22)
Old 11-10-22 | 06:53 AM
CaptAngry
Pit Crew

The issue with relying on AAA or Lexus is when driving in remote areas like many do. We have a mountain house and drive on fairly remote dirt roads in the high country of Colorado. I for one purchased a scissor jack/lug wrench kit, plug kit, and have a small electric pump in the vehicle. Outside of the very rare tire-destroying blowout, that should get me going to wherever I need to go
IEXNS (01-05-23)
Old 11-10-22 | 03:50 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CaptAngry
The issue with relying on AAA or Lexus is when driving in remote areas like many do. We have a mountain house and drive on fairly remote dirt roads in the high country of Colorado. I for one purchased a scissor jack/lug wrench kit, plug kit, and have a small electric pump in the vehicle. Outside of the very rare tire-destroying blowout, that should get me going to wherever I need to go
The last blowout I had was in our 2015 NX200t out of Lone Pine going to see the Bristle Cone Ancient Forest along a gravel road that indicated a tow would be $1000! We were about 1/4 mile away from our destination at about 10,000' when the right rear blew. Changed it out (first tire I'd changed in 30 years). I was really glad that I had invested in a t-bar type lug wrench as one of the lug nuts was on very tight. Our Modern spare is arriving this Saturday - although the chances of a major tire failure are remote we do live in a rural area. I'll only carry it on long trips or when we're out of radio range.
IEXNS (01-05-23)
Old 11-12-22 | 08:22 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Just got our Modern Spare today - very nice product which I hope to never use. I will only toss it in the back when we're heading into an area with sketchy mobile service or a long trip out of town.
IEXNS (01-05-23)
Old 11-12-22 | 09:08 PM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Doug007
Just got our Modern Spare today - very nice product which I hope to never use. I will only toss it in the back when we're heading into an area with sketchy mobile service or a long trip out of town.
Yes it is quite big. I tried it with a trip and it was tough for 3 people. Had to use one of the back seats,

YMMV,
Midcow3

P.S. - One guy reportws the jack didn't raise the car high enough. I haven't tried it yet.
Doug007 (11-13-22)
Old 11-12-22 | 10:33 PM
TMsr5
10th Gear

Originally Posted by hth
Hi hth, thanks for sharing your experience with Modern Spare. I just received mine today and had a similar experience. The jack I received only fully extends 15” versus the advertised 17.5”. Also, the way they shipped the jack cause deep scratches to the rim’s inner hub.
Old 11-13-22 | 04:43 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

The jack was in a bubble wrap - sorry yours was fouled up. I'm going to break ours out and see if it lifts the 17.5". It is in a tidy package.

Quick Reply: Compact spare tire