NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Is the panorama/moonroof laminated glass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-22 | 05:23 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Default Is the panorama/moonroof laminated glass?

Can someone please check the glass imprint (and maybe a picture too) to see if Lexus Is using laminated or tempered glass in the panorama and moonroof glass? Laminate should stops UV (usually in the 90+) - much more than tempted glass. And consider safer than tempered glass. I can find Lexus spec on the windshield and front side window that they are using acoustic glass, which is laminated, but nothing on the pan/moon specs wise.

Thanks

Old 02-28-22 | 12:05 AM
ttaylor121
Driver

Originally Posted by gcskoor
Can someone please check the glass imprint (and maybe a picture too) to see if Lexus Is using laminated or tempered glass in the panorama and moonroof glass? Laminate should stops UV (usually in the 90+) - much more than tempted glass. And consider safer than tempered glass. I can find Lexus spec on the windshield and front side window that they are using acoustic glass, which is laminated, but nothing on the pan/moon specs wise.

Thanks
The lamsafe glass is only on the windshield, and front door windows, all others are tempered, including the panoramic roof panels

These are the marking from the panoramic roof panels on mine..
Edit: the pano roof has a powered shade, 100 blackout..
The following users liked this post:
gcskoor (02-28-22)
Old 02-28-22 | 02:02 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ttaylor121
The lamsafe glass is only on the windshield, and front door windows, all others are tempered, including the panoramic roof panels

These are the marking from the panoramic roof panels on mine..
Edit: the pano roof has a powered shade, 100 blackout..
Thanks for the pics, but darn it. I was hoping for an upgrade this year to a laminate- probably mostly weight restriction and perhaps cost keeps this from happening.

A couple months ago, the dealer had a few already sold NXs. I could not drive, of course, but I did grab my simple UV tester card to to check the side windows and roof panels. This was just one thing I was looking, but it did seem to indicate the UV was reduced pretty effectively on the side glass and roof panes in just the few seconds that I tested. I did not test rear window or rear side windows.

I had just assumed it was a laminate glass with good UV rejection by my simple UV test. But I realized later that it was probably just a coating.

It does seem AGC has UV coatings on tempered glass (and also IR rejection), that would make perfect sense of Lexus to be using for the roof panels. It does seem Lexus has been using UV glass for sometime. Not sure about IR. One of the reason to get a NX over a Rav4- pretty sure it does not have UV glass. It the NX has IR rejection, that will be excellent. My 2017 Touring CRV has no UV rejection on side/roof panels glass.

AGC's trade name name for their UV glass is UV Verre Premium Privashield. I bet the UVS symbol indicates this is the temperlite with UV protection.

https://www.glassonweb.com/news/worl...-privashieldtm

https://www.agc-automotive.com/en/ou...ss-temperlite/

Last edited by gcskoor; 02-28-22 at 03:03 AM.