NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Are these add on costs normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-22, 06:42 PM
bbr00ks
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by akck4
Hello everyone. Been reading on this forum for a while now but finally decided to create an account.
Was planning on purchasing a 2021 NX hybrid early last year but decided to wait to get the 2022 model after I heard that they were revamping it. I should have put in a deposit late last year to get on the waiting list but didn't realize how bad the supply was going to be. Finally went to the dealer (during my lunch time) to put in a deposit. Didn't realize how long the process was going to be. I thought I could just pay the deposit, get put on the waiting list and get back to work before the lunch hour was over.
Long story short:
1) Deposit was $2,000 non-refundable.
2) The sales rep said there's currently 50 people on the waiting list.
3) I originally opted for the 350h Luxury. Exterior: white or gray Interior: anything
4) He get's me this invoice (attached pic) and goes over the numbers. Remember that I didn't realize I was negotiating now. I was here to just put a deposit down to be put on the waiting list.
5) The sales rep says that the dealer add on's are mandatory.
6) $70K for this vehicle? Not sure anymore.

I'm okay with paying the add on's if everyone is but are the prices normal? I feel ripped off.
Find another dealer ! This is insane.
The following users liked this post:
ttaylor121 (02-28-22)
Old 02-28-22, 08:16 PM
ttaylor121
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Normal in this case is relative. During normal times you'd be negotiating starting at list price, not msrp. Even then, having multiple thousands of dollars in dealer add-ons wasn't normal either.

Call around to other dealers, and DO NOT give them a non-refundable deposit. It's a great car, but it just isn't worth that..
Old 03-01-22, 05:18 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

The audacity of this dealer to charge $6500 in BS add-ons and then STILL charge $150 dealer fee. Apparently the $6500 wasn't enough. If you can, run like Usaine Bolt out of that deal, but if you're trapped into it, respectfully, you did it to yourself. Rule #1 of car buying is don't do anything in a rush because you are setting yourself up to be screwed ever. And DEFINITELY do not give non-refundable money if you even have a sliver of a doubt of the price.
The following users liked this post:
Kimberly88 (03-01-22)
Old 03-01-22, 07:28 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

I suggest to read the details of the contract. All states have a mandatory minimum contract cancellation period.

For close to that total you can buy a 450h+. 450h+ are going for $10-$15K over MSRP - no extra needed.

For myself I had to call and visit 30 dealer web sites until I found a CA dealer who would sell out of state and one that had a 450h+. Some cars are out there but it does take a lot of work. I love my car, but I had to wait 2+ months for plates.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pharbor:
Lexus22563 (03-01-22), Nx350fspt (05-24-22)
Old 03-01-22, 08:39 AM
akck4
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the all the responses. Totally my fault for paying the deposit. I'm a newbie when it comes to buying new cars. My one and only new car purchase was 10 years ago.
This is a dealer in Bellevue, WA and wondering if anyone who's bought or put a deposit down with this dealer had the same add ons with the same $$. If they're doing it on all sales of the NX and everyone is paying it, I guess that's the market value of the NX right now in my area.
Old 03-01-22, 09:19 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Thanks for the all the responses. Totally my fault for paying the deposit. I'm a newbie when it comes to buying new cars. My one and only new car purchase was 10 years ago.
This is a dealer in Bellevue, WA and wondering if anyone who's bought or put a deposit down with this dealer had the same add ons with the same $$. If they're doing it on all sales of the NX and everyone is paying it, I guess that's the market value of the NX right now in my area.
Just because one dealer in an area does it doesn't mean they are all doing it. Take the IS500 for example. In my area my closest dealer has a 20k ADM on it. The next closest dealer has it at sticker. Explore all your options
Old 03-01-22, 10:42 AM
VomieroEmu
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

This absolutely bonkers.

I bought two cars from Lexus of Bellevue. Those people are crooks. They always tried to have massive amounts of worthless add-ons. I was able to get it all removed - but that was before the time we are living in.

But hey you get free drive through car washes lol
Old 03-01-22, 04:20 PM
Kimberly88
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello everyone. Been reading on this forum for a while now but finally decided to create an account.
Was planning on purchasing a 2021 NX hybrid early last year but decided to wait to get the 2022 model after I heard that they were revamping it. I should have put in a deposit late last year to get on the waiting list but didn't realize how bad the supply was going to be. Finally went to the dealer (during my lunch time) to put in a deposit. Didn't realize how long the process was going to be. I thought I could just pay the deposit, get put on the waiting list and get back to work before the lunch hour was over.
Long story short:
1) Deposit was $2,000 non-refundable.
2) The sales rep said there's currently 50 people on the waiting list.
3) I originally opted for the 350h Luxury. Exterior: white or gray Interior: anything
4) He get's me this invoice (attached pic) and goes over the numbers. Remember that I didn't realize I was negotiating now. I was here to just put a deposit down to be put on the waiting list.
5) The sales rep says that the dealer add on's are mandatory.
6) $70K for this vehicle? Not sure anymore.

I'm okay with paying the add on's if everyone is but are the prices normal? I feel ripped off.
The LoJack GPS Theft Protection is 100% pointless. If someone stole your vehicle then Lexus can track your vehicle once you provide a police report. That’s insanely expensive for a unnecessary add on.

Tint prices I’m sure vary depending on the market/location. I just had 5% window tint added to my vehicle for $350. That’s for the back and all doors (they had to remove the tint that was already installed). Also, most tint companies markup the price if it’s being paid by the dealership.

A lot of those add ons are for stuff that the dealer can’t even prove was added to the car. It sounds like they’re adding this stuff as a market adjustment.

I paid for my tint and all weather mats out of packet but purchased the wheel/tire warranty. After checking the price of tires and wheels, it seemed worth purchasing.

Edit to add: You can contact your bank regarding your $2,000 check deposit and request that they returned the item. Tell them you placed a deposit for a vehicle the dealership is not able to provide. Also let them know that they’re not offering you your money back. There’s a ton of check regulations that allow you to return checks even years down the road. Branch staff would NOT be familiar with these regulations; however, they would need to reach out to the specific department that handles these. For example: if you look at the image of the check you wrote them that cleared your account and it’s missing their endorsement (payees name has to be on the back) then you have up to 7 years to return it.

Last edited by Kimberly88; 03-01-22 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-23-22, 10:05 PM
sanbelle
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any updates?

Hi akck4,
I also put $1000 deposit to the contract without knowing what I was going through, exactly like your situation, same Lexus of Bellevue.
I am trying to see if I can get the deposit back but I'm curious if there's any update for you? Did you ever try to get the deposit back? was it succesful?
Old 05-24-22, 11:01 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

350H Lexus NX AWD price starts at $42,625? Fully loaded Luxury is ~$55k. Those $7K of Dealer add-ons are ridiculous, I'll run far away from this dealer. Knowing people are waiting and willing to pay whatever they throw in just, to get the car, are greedy and un-ethical...

In a normal world, this should be at least 10% off (could be 15% sometimes) before TTL fees, you could score one out-of-door for ~$50K with some patience. We're not far away from this, I'd say in next 12-15 months everything will be dirt cheap, recession is coming (already here probably), nobody will spend anymore, everything price will be back to where it should be.

Or buy it from where else TX, GA, or FL for MSRP or cheaper and get them shipped to your door. A quick search showing this dealer in TX has hundred of NX in stock, inventory is moving everyday, but on average I seeing 30+ NX 350H, you can't tell me you can't find what you want:

https://www.sewelllexus-dallas.com/n...odel=NX%20350h

Last edited by july1988; 05-24-22 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-24-22, 12:23 PM
akck4
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sanbelle
Hi akck4,
I also put $1000 deposit to the contract without knowing what I was going through, exactly like your situation, same Lexus of Bellevue.
I am trying to see if I can get the deposit back but I'm curious if there's any update for you? Did you ever try to get the deposit back? was it succesful?
I called back after a month (late March) and they still told me 2- 3 months and that they would call me when they had a vehicle with my preferences. I asked where I was on the waiting list but they didn't know but would check and call me back. No call back yet though. Note that when I paid the deposit back in mid Feb, they said they had 50 people on the waiting list. I chose 350h premium and/or luxury with white and/or cloudburst color as my preference. I have yet to contact them to check in. From what I've been seeing, I'm thinking it could be later this year.

The base price was for a typical 350h luxury. The dealer said the base price will be adjusted whatever the MSRP is for the vehicle I end up getting.
Old 05-24-22, 03:06 PM
anniedrea
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by july1988
350H Lexus NX AWD price starts at $42,625? Fully loaded Luxury is ~$55k. Those $7K of Dealer add-ons are ridiculous, I'll run far away from this dealer. Knowing people are waiting and willing to pay whatever they throw in just, to get the car, are greedy and un-ethical...

In a normal world, this should be at least 10% off (could be 15% sometimes) before TTL fees, you could score one out-of-door for ~$50K with some patience. We're not far away from this, I'd say in next 12-15 months everything will be dirt cheap, recession is coming (already here probably), nobody will spend anymore, everything price will be back to where it should be.

Or buy it from where else TX, GA, or FL for MSRP or cheaper and get them shipped to your door. A quick search showing this dealer in TX has hundred of NX in stock, inventory is moving everyday, but on average I seeing 30+ NX 350H, you can't tell me you can't find what you want:

https://www.sewelllexus-dallas.com/n...odel=NX%20350h
If only it were that easy to have them ship. They’re only shipping to a certain radius :-(
Old 05-24-22, 06:45 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by anniedrea
If only it were that easy to have them ship. They’re only shipping to a certain radius :-(
Check other dealerships, I mean since Covid-19 hit, almost all dealerships have implemented online sale and ship, you dont need to come to shop...
Make a weekend road trip, small vacation to pick up the car, I mean for $7K I'll spend it on a family/self vacation and still have half left to do other stuff
Not worth it...
Old 05-25-22, 12:43 PM
wattyb2
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If I recall this picture from the other thread, this is at Bellevue. I actually sent a long email to their sales manager about this practice as the salesman I spoke with told me specifically before I came in that there were no additional markups. He told me with a straight face that $6.5k of add ons is "selling at MSRP."

Suffice it to say I walked without putting down the money and found others to reserve. We'd put down a $500 at another dealership on a different vehicle and decided to pull the plug. Threaten a review and they'll usually cave and give it back. Our guy refunded in the next day after we slept on it.

At the end of the day, it's crazy that the dealership is casually asking for an interest free $2000 loan for as long as it takes your vehicle to arrive.....
Old 05-25-22, 08:19 PM
sanbelle
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called back after a month (late March) and they still told me 2- 3 months and that they would call me when they had a vehicle with my preferences. I asked where I was on the waiting list but they didn't know but would check and call me back. No call back yet though. Note that when I paid the deposit back in mid Feb, they said they had 50 people on the waiting list. I chose 350h premium and/or luxury with white and/or cloudburst color as my preference. I have yet to contact them to check in. From what I've been seeing, I'm thinking it could be later this year.

The base price was for a typical 350h luxury. The dealer said the base price will be adjusted whatever the MSRP is for the vehicle I end up getting.

Thanks for the reply.
We actually went back after about 4-5 days, and demanded to give back the deposit to us. Initially, she didn't want to give the money back but eventually gave us the money back. Honestly, I think we were lucky but one thing I know for sure is that we won't ever go back to the Bellevue Lexus location again.

Quick Reply: Are these add on costs normal?