NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Wireless Charging

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-22 | 06:54 PM
Yoogert
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ctripps2k
which case do you have for the 13? Link?
I’ve had it so long, not sure of the exact case but it similar to this
Amazon Amazon

Old 03-16-22 | 08:33 PM
joeh80
Driver

I have a iPhone XS in a silicone case and it charges like it should and doesn't slide around.
Old 03-17-22 | 06:32 AM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by joeh80
I have a iPhone XS in a silicone case and it charges like it should and doesn't slide around.

the XS does not have the HUGE camera bump that the 12 and 13 pros have.
Old 03-17-22 | 11:18 AM
nigel821
Racer

It's mind boggling to me that Lexus/Toyota doesn't test out certain things, especially KEY features that are new. It's like they come up with a good idea then say make it happen, then that's it. You would think there HAS to be some sort of QA testing. Both Apple/Android users, right?! The MAJORITY of people own a Samsung or Apple phone. With both of those brands 90% of people use cases. You would think someone, some where would have said "hey, lets test out a cell phone with a case" What are popular cases out there for the phones...etc. There's like 2-3 major brands the most people go with. I'm not the brightest person in the world but it still is crazy to me that all the engineering hours and testing that goes into something and then there are still "silly" bugs that everyone is experiencing yet no one at the engineering level thought might be a road block. *Oh, having a case on a phone is preventing the phone from getting a charge. Perhaps we have to up the power slightly on something..etc.

I'm in IT and work with developers and testers daily. Perhaps it's just the field/group we support but we don't have any of this nonsense when it comes to deploying a product. Yes there are quirks here and there, but I would say 99% of the possible scenarios out there are some how replicated and then addressed. If we released a product out and it came back with a glaring issue like what I'm seeing here with the charger, the govt would have gotten rid of our entire group..lol

I bought this for my RCF to put in the center console so I can have wireless charging:
Amazon.com: JADJ Wireless Charger, Qi-Certified 15W Max Fast Wireless Charging Pad (No AC Adapter) for iPhone SE, 13/12/11 Pro/Pro Max, Xs Max, XR, XS, X, 8, 8 Plus, AirPods, Galaxy S20 S10 S9 S8, Note 10 9 8 : Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: JADJ Wireless Charger, Qi-Certified 15W Max Fast Wireless Charging Pad (No AC Adapter) for iPhone SE, 13/12/11 Pro/Pro Max, Xs Max, XR, XS, X, 8, 8 Plus, AirPods, Galaxy S20 S10 S9 S8, Note 10 9 8 : Cell Phones & Accessories

This is a $20 solution that works flawlessly for me. Charges with my case on/off, and even charges my wife's iphone with her huge otterbox case. I'm not sure why it's hard for manufactures to integrate certain things that the world is ALREADY making and providing. They are always trying to put a spin on stuff and it just turns out to be delays/problems/annoying issues. Let's come up with a clunky infotainment system when all we really need to do is use apple car play and android auto and it would fix 90% of people's issues with complaining about how crappy the infotainment system is on vehicles.. Yet we are still here 2022 and manufacture's keep pumping out nonsense..

-Nigel
Old 03-17-22 | 02:49 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Not only are they not fully testing things like this but when their customers try to communicate to them a problem, they do not want to listen. If you call the tech-support line they tell you it’s a hardware problem and to go to the dealership. If you go to the dealership they tell you to call the hotline because Lexis does not listen to the dealership. I thought buying a Lexus I would get better support on things but apparently not.
Old 03-17-22 | 03:48 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Anybody want to guess what my local Lexus sales guy said, when I told him of the wireless charing issue?.....Yep, "never heard of it." Even sent him an email with some links reporting it-nothing. Sad.
Old 03-17-22 | 04:05 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

I hope Lexus know at least some of us IT folks that design/code SW, know that the $450 wireless charging/remote app start access is using the existing build-in cellular system in the car already, so it is just really a $20 wireless charger and activating a few lines of code to drive an remote start API. Pretty much it.

Oh, one might say, they have to make some money for the support for the use of the system over the years-right? Well, no. They charge monthly for every evert, so its $450 plus $8 a month for life of car.

Basically for the $450 and a few ones of code in the app, you get a pretty useless wireless charge. Come on Lexus, we are know we are buying a luxury car and your pay top dollar for a few low cost to supply add-ons. But don't get too greedy for a little extra profit. And at least make it work.

And yes, I bought it- it just the lux car game, if you want to play, you pay. We all know it. But I do expect it to work with my iPhone 13 Pro Max and Otterbox Defender case. Just a few million out there available for testing- mine included. LOL

Last edited by gcskoor; 03-17-22 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-18-22 | 08:53 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Interesting discussion.

Aren't almost all wireless chargers useless?

Do we expect that each year when the phone manufacturers redesign/change their phones, that the car manufacturers will also redesign/change the wireless chargers in all their vehicles to accommodate each years new phones?

When does the car manufacturers responsibility for changing their vehicles to work with all the current phones stop? After the vehicle is sold? After the warranty expires?

Personally, I think that the $450 for the wireless charger is crap, especially since it's VERY hard to find an NX without it.

I intend to refuse to pay for it on our NX, but will probably be unsuccessful but will still make it an issue, and I won't intentionally buy a phone with wireless charging built in to it.
Old 03-18-22 | 09:24 AM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
I intend to refuse to pay for it on our NX, but will probably be unsuccessful but will still make it an issue, and I won't intentionally buy a phone with wireless charging built in to it.
Good luck with that, especially if the various part shortages continue.

The NX 350h I picked up had about 2k in options that I otherwise would not have been interested in. However, it was the color combination I wanted so I went for it. My phone does not have wireless charging, and I usually charge it in the house anyway. My wife likes to charge her phone in the car, and the wireless charger works fine with her iPhone, so she is happy (and thus I am happy.) So all is good.
Old 03-18-22 | 10:45 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
Interesting discussion.

Aren't almost all wireless chargers useless?

Do we expect that each year when the phone manufacturers redesign/change their phones, that the car manufacturers will also redesign/change the wireless chargers in all their vehicles to accommodate each years new phones?

When does the car manufacturers responsibility for changing their vehicles to work with all the current phones stop? After the vehicle is sold? After the warranty expires?

Personally, I think that the $450 for the wireless charger is crap, especially since it's VERY hard to find an NX without it.

Actually there is a QI wireless charging standard that even Apple's Iphone support as does Samsung and most others also.

So you design and test your wireless charger to this standard. You don't have to test all phone or futures ones that still support the QI. Maybe Lexus did not meet the standards or they barely did. There are some min specs that Lexus maybe have designed/specified. Regardless most wireless chargers (even cheap ones) today work better- much better.

https://www.electronics-notes.com/ar...g-standard.php

To me, if your luxury car offers wireless CarPlay as standard, does not it make sense to offer wireless charging as standard also. Otherwise you have to use a cable to charge your phone and your back to wired CarPlay. Duh...

Or even worst, your $450 wireless option to use your standard wireless Carplay without a cable does not work reliably like a top JD Powers's car is expected. LOL

Excuse me, but this is on parity with a luxury 2022 car having incandesent bulbs turn signals as standard. And to get Led ones, your have to add a $7500 luxury package and even that need a $850 headlight upgrade to get them. Geez....

But I forgive Lexus, I have not canceled by order even with the issues and the Lux package with upgrade headlight and wireless charging to get $50 of parts. Sillly me. LOL

Last edited by gcskoor; 03-18-22 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-18-22 | 02:39 PM
nigel821
Racer

^
Was just about to say the same thing. you don't test per phone you test per the standard!. Just like PC's and IEEE standards. The items made are to that spec, meaning it's going to be the same, if not we'd have proprietary crap everywhere that doesn't work with anything... it would be a nightmare.

Lexus can EASILY come up with something that is QI standard for charging. I have a 6 year old QI charger that has worked with my Samsung galaxy s5, and it works with my S9+ and my wife's Iphone 13 or whatever the newest iphone is. I don't have to keep buying new chargers because it's based on the standard in place to charge the device. I will note that my QI charges both charge with our cases on. Again a $50 item has no issue charging the phone, how Lexus can charge $450 and people are having issues doing what the item is made/designed to do is numbing.

I do like the NX and feel they did a huge leap forward with stuff which is nice. The spot to put your phone is great and charging would be ideal. I'm hoping they figure out what is causing the issue for folks. I'd be pissed spending that money and then not having the phone charge as designed..

-Nigel
The following 3 users liked this post by nigel821:
gcskoor (03-18-22), hintonwood (03-18-22), Nx350fspt (03-20-22)
Old 03-18-22 | 03:11 PM
lsft
Racer

The wireless charger is actually built by Panasonic.

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/ACJ932AT2001

You can learn more about it on the link above. Lexus just uses a supplier Qi Std charger.
The following 3 users liked this post by lsft:
gcskoor (03-18-22), hintonwood (03-19-22), Nx350fspt (03-20-22)
Old 03-18-22 | 03:23 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lsft
The wireless charger is actually built by Panasonic.

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/ACJ932AT2001

You can learn more about it on the link above. Lexus just uses a supplier Qi Std charger.
Thanks, at least not likely the lowest cost bidder. LOL Hopefully is more of a physical placement issue (i.e. sliding/misplacement) than an actual badly designed charger. That was one of the issue Apple solved by their MagSafe charger with it magnets forcing correct placement.
Old 03-18-22 | 03:35 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nigel821
^

I do like the NX and feel they did a huge leap forward with stuff which is nice. The spot to put your phone is great and charging would be ideal. I'm hoping they figure out what is causing the issue for folks. I'd be pissed spending that money and then not having the phone charge as designed..

-Nigel
Not likely as they are not even acknowledging there is a problem. They just hand you a sheet that says your case could be no thicker than a certain thickness.
Old 04-06-22 | 06:17 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by StraySheep
I read from owners that the NX's wireless charging tray does not work with phones with camera bumps. ie. iphone 12, 13, Pixel 6, etc...

Is there any solution to make the NX wireless charging work as intended?
Or just have to make sure you have a flat back phone with wireless charging in order to make use of it.
Also, if you have a small phone, will the phone stay in it's place on the try to keep charging wirelessly?

Hate to have a nice feature in the car but cannot make use of it because of the camera bump.
I just posted the video with a pixel 6 pro:

Quick Reply: Wireless Charging